AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-05-04, 20:32   Link #981
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niker117 View Post
Incidentally, what would "Hyouka" translate to?
All of the dictionaries I've seen claim it would translate to a popsicle. (That's just an example) What it means in the show? That I couldn't tell you.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 20:43   Link #982
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Well, I've been investigating...

Spoiler for Title investigation:

Now, for a deglossing of Episode 2 and conspiracy theories!

Spoiler for Conspiracy theories!:

In any case, this is me probably working my brain to hard to figure out a mystery here...

Niker

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 20:52   Link #983
Upscaled

Re. the meaning of "Hyouka."

I wasn't familiar with the word. (My Japanese isn't very good.) I looked at the Japanese-language wikipedia site, and apparently, it's the name given to frozen sweets of all kinds, both traditionally Japanese & western, but usually non-dairy ones, like shaved ice or sorbet. Popsicles are part of this group as well.

Edit: I think a good translation is "Ice Candy." After all, the kanji are 氷 (hyou, meaning "ice") and 菓 (ka, meaning fruit or candy.)

Last edited by Upscaled; 2012-05-04 at 21:03. Reason: clarification
Upscaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 20:54   Link #984
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:

Spoiler for Title investigation:
That title you gave is the second official English title. The first title was 氷菓HYOUKA. It was later changed 氷菓 You can't escape. I believe, but cannot confirm, that it was changed when the title moved from the Sneaker Mystery Department label to the standard Kadokawa Shouten label. Earlier this year, it was changed to be 氷菓 The niece of time.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 20:59   Link #985
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
That title you gave is the second official English title. The first title was 氷菓HYOUKA. It was later changed 氷菓 You can't escape. I believe, but cannot confirm, that it was changed when the title moved from the Sneaker Mystery Department label to the standard Kadokawa Shouten label. Earlier this year, it was changed to be 氷菓 The niece of time.
Wait, isn't that what appears before the ED plays in episode 2? When Chitanda is zoomed in you see "The niece of time".

So... We have Ice, and a "niece of time"... Maybe Chitanda is going to confess that she is truly a

Spoiler for I swear if this theory gets confirmed...:

Or something along those lines anyways.

Hyouka Also being refered to as a Popsicle... if I'm not mistaken those are the ice creams that have two sticks, in order to split them?

That symbolizes Chitanda and Oreki... However, they are unable to split... And so Chitanda takes him for a nice little ride? ¬¬

In any case, I'm stuck at the ED... trying to make any kind of sense out of the whole thing...

Niker

Old 2012-05-04, 21:01   Link #986
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
All of the dictionaries I've seen claim it would translate to a popsicle. (That's just an example) What it means in the show? That I couldn't tell you.
I hope to see this implemented in the second ED in a similar fashion as the first one.
Old 2012-05-04, 23:09   Link #987
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

So I got around to watching episode 2, and boy, does that theory about Eru's eye being magical just get more fuel

I don't think she might be as aware of it as I speculated earlier (she's using her eyes to make people fall under her command) but it's clear that it's has more to do with her flipping over to her curious mode on the moment she sees something that catches her fancy. In any case, it does appear that it has less to do with the eyes themselves and more with the aura she emits whenever she starts wanting to learn more about something i.e when Houtarou was trying to escape knowing he was about to get dragged into something he doesn't want to do in the library and she literally brightens up like a lamp In any case, Eru is certainly one girl you just can't say no to ...

Which moves me to my next point. Eru is really annoying isn't she? I mean I didn't notice back in episode one due to DEM EYES and Houtarou's wild imagination making me forget about how she on their first meeting broke through all his personal space and just kept on touching him and garbing him (that one scene in episode one where he wanted to go home and she stopped him by forcibly holding his bag was hilarious to watch ) but this episode Eru was just on full drive Do-what-I-tell-you-to-do-what-do-you-mean-you-want-to-be-alone-what-is-this-personal-space-you-talk-about mode, to the point where I thought Houtarou's imaginary scene of the week was actually more accurate, if as outlandish as last week's imaginary world, was actually more accurate. Eru was literally beating him into taking a choice, and then forcing his hand into the choice she wanted him to make, not the one he wanted. Going by that, his outburst at the end made perfect sense, since he had already tolerated her behavior at school, and than decided to meet her only for her to be late and then beat around the bush even more ... everyone has their limit, and Eru hit Houtarou's.

That said, I could till it's not really intentional, and there is the positive of getting Houtarou out of his shell. Eru needs to tone down a bit though, since shoving a book into someones face and dragging them around and graping their hand without their permission is honestly poor manners and is going to get people upset with you.

On other things, I didn't think the mystery was anything interesting, however the scene transitions were interesting to watch and creative, as usual. So no changes so far in Animation>Story front for myself.

The cliffhanger seems really obvious to me, going by Eru's reaction to Satoshi's implication last episode about her and Houtarou talking alone in a classroom and going by Houtarou's Airhead comment, she doesn't seem to be the type that usually misunderstands these things. So when Houtarou said that she wanted to confess to him, she might have taken it that he had figured out what her ''personal circumstances'' were and just wanted her to come clean with him. Or that's what she'll think, but not what he'll think
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
If things progress, he might be forced to do more than just waste energy with Eru. Can't imagine his reaction to having to part with precious bodily fluids.....
I always thought that it was the women who initiates the exchange? Unless men started letting women eat their spit too.

Unless we are talking about something else ... like going on blood donation drives or something.
Old 2012-05-05, 04:07   Link #988
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
~~ I always thought that it was the women who initiates the exchange? Unless men started letting women eat their spit too.

Unless we are talking about something else ... like going on blood donation drives or something.
Houtarou: "If I do have to do it, do it quick."

*Later*

Eru: "That's it?!"

Cheers.
Old 2012-05-05, 04:44   Link #989
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
AnoHana had me face palming, not crying. So if we do get some tragedy or something sad, I hope it's legit.

And can someone please make Niker a proper avatar. I can't do GIFs.
Double Agreed. Kudos especially to Ep 12 for making me feeling like (this) for 30 minutes straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I doubt it, this isn't Maeda we're talking about here.
I'm sure it won't happen to that extent eh? We'll see...we'll see. (Although you're right about that not being Maeda's style.)

===========
Here's a little thing about the title :: niece of time ::

Spoiler for somehow...:
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 04:51   Link #990
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

It's a reference to an old book? Are you sure?

I thought niece of time was a reference to Eru's request to Houtarou, which we are about to find out about.

Spoiler for Eru's request:

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 05:43   Link #991
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
It's a reference to an old book? Are you sure?

I thought niece of time was a reference to Eru's request to Houtarou, which we are about to find out about.
Like I said...."Somehow..."

Anyway, 12 hours til the next ep. Shall people's 3 Ep Law be finally invoked? Or shall the judgement be delayed the more? WEEE shall find out.... soon.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 05:54   Link #992
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
I ran Hyouka through google translate into spanish. It translates as "Ice".
The spanish word for Ice is Hielo, not Hyouka.

EDIT:

I see now that you are from Argentina, am I reading your post in a different way? I would have guessed that the word Hielo was also used over there.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-05-05 at 06:04.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 05:58   Link #993
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
Lemme guess:
Spoiler for I'm just guessing:
Oh, wow. I don't know what I'd do if this show ends up taking the melodrama route.

I don't think I'd be able to stand much forced drama anywhere.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a decent coming-of-age story with some good development on the part of the main characters, or at least some substance.
Old 2012-05-05, 07:54   Link #994
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
If things progress, he might be forced to do more than just waste energy with Eru. Can't imagine his reaction to having to part with precious bodily fluids.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Houtarou: "If I do have to do it, do it quick."

*Later*

Eru: "That's it?!"

Cheers.
Fuel for the imagination... Call me curious.
--
Thinking about the deeper meaning of the title...
Spoilers
Spoiler for random thoughts
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
--
http://p.tl/i/27001346

Old 2012-05-05, 08:01   Link #995
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
The spanish word for Ice is Hielo, not Hyouka.

EDIT:

I see now that you are from Argentina, am I reading your post in a different way? I would have guessed that the word Hielo was also used over there.
I translated it into spanish and later to english. I KNOW it translates to "Hielo" I just didn't think that adding another translation in the middle would help.

¬¬

Niker

Old 2012-05-05, 08:02   Link #996
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post

That's one heck of a fanart Poor guy never stood a chance...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 08:14   Link #997
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

A snippet from 2nd EP supporting my conspiracy theory.

Spoiler for Ep 2 Spoilers:

In any case, I find it really odd that Chitanda has no friends whatsoever. Being a beauty and a smart girl no less ( keeping her airhead status out of this ) she ought to have SOME friends, but they are never mentioned. Maybe she has none? Proof is how she

Spoiler for ep 2 spoilers:

Niker

Old 2012-05-05, 10:24   Link #998
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

In any case, I find it really odd that Chitanda has no friends whatsoever. Being a beauty and a smart girl no less ( keeping her airhead status out of this ) she ought to have SOME friends, but they are never mentioned. Maybe she has none? Proof is how she

Spoiler for ep 2 spoilers:

Niker
No this is high school. Cute girls who are smart are considered competition for a guy you're interested in. Not someone that another female would hang around unless she wants to lose her boyfriend.
Old 2012-05-05, 10:29   Link #999
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Who said it should be other females?

She should have some sort of friend somewhere, but she seems just as socially awkward as a 12 year old girl

Niker

Old 2012-05-05, 10:48   Link #1000
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Who said it should be other females?

She should have some sort of friend somewhere, but she seems just as socially awkward as a 12 year old girl

Niker
We're in a high school setting. Guys don't hang unless you're dating them.

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life