AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-22, 05:03   Link #41
Kasshin
Kasshin X Kasshin

Send a message via ICQ to Kasshin Send a message via AIM to Kasshin Send a message via MSN to Kasshin
Go here for a list of the trance music used in Area88.
Kasshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-22, 12:46   Link #42
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Machoman's anime, full of brotherhood of war and stuff like that.
Old 2004-02-22, 17:59   Link #43
Koshiba

Send a message via AIM to Koshiba Send a message via MSN to Koshiba
I watched the first few episodes so far and I must say that I'm really enjoying it. =D Love the music. Different from what's usually in anime.. ^_^ I never got a chance to see the original OVA's. I had heard of them, just never watched 'em. I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes. ^^
Koshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 02:02   Link #44
Anlushac11

Just my .02c

The MiG's are MiG-17's not MiG-15's. The MiG-15 and MiG-17 look similar but the MiG-17 is actually a new airframe design that was basically a redesigned and improved model that corrected many of the MiG-15's shortcomings. While it looks similar once you are familiar with the two types it is not that hard to tell them apart. Nose is slightly different, the fuselage of the Mig-15 is fatter, the MiG-17 also has more sweepback on the wing, and the MiG-17 IIRC ahs taller and more wing fences.

The MiG-15 became very unstable at high speed and was prone to going into a unrecoverable spin and the cockpit was un pressurized so in rapid altitude changes the canopy would fog over. The MiG-17 is a much better fighter bomber and is a very capable dogfighter. The Mig-17 was also the main North Vietnamese fighter in the Vietnam war. The US Navy used the A-4M Skyhawk, aka the Mongoose, to simulate the highly manuverable subsonic Mig-17.

I also believe I have seen MiG-19's or MiG-21's at a enemy airbase. I will have to watch again to see which one it was.

If it looks like a Mirage III but has canards mounted on the air intakes chances are very high it is a Isreali Kfir C2 or the export version the Dagger. The Kfir is a reworked Mirage IIIc with a American J79 turbo jet and updated avionics. The canards and a small air intake at base of vertical tail are clues.

F-8 was known as the Gunfighter. Its other knickname was "MigMaster" It was the last US fighter designed with its guns as its main weapon. It wasnt til Dec 8, 1999 that the last French Navy F-8s flew. France retired their F-8's for Naval Rafale's to operate off their carriers and Phillipines was also a recent F-8 user til the late 80's. The USN didnt retire tehir last RF-8 recon Crusaders til 1986.

Against the modern fighters like MiG-29, F-16, F-18, the F-8 is outclassed in both performance and firepower. But a plane is only as good as its pilot. A expert pilot in a F-8 could give a rookie F-16 or F-18 pilot a headache.

Look at Red Flag. The Agressor squadrons are still flying the F-5E Tiger II, an aircraft inferior to the F-8 Crusader. In the hands of the expert instructor pilots the F-5E's give the rookie pilots in the better fighters like the F-15's and F-14's a run for their money and routinely beat them in simulated air to air combat til the skill level of the pilots comes up and they can counter the F-5 fighters.

Also oddly enough their is historical presedence of mercenary pilots flying in South Africa. I have seen pics of Merc MiG-23's flying for Angola but cant remember what else was listed.

The MiG-17 is still a viable fighter in 3rd world countries since it is very rugged and easy to maintain and designed to operate from primitive conditions. The MiG-15 is not used much by any militaries other than as a trainer.

Last edited by Anlushac11; 2004-02-23 at 02:23.
Anlushac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 07:18   Link #45
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hor
That would be the a-10 warthog, I believe, complete with vulcan cannon that can destroy just about anything. The thrust made by the vulcan cannon is more powerful than its engines I hear. If they fire while not in a dive, or fire in more than just a burst, the plane could stall. That's some scary power. Gotta love the A-10.
Avenger cannon it is, 30mm and similar in RPM. Not Vulcan. Vulcan cannon is on many of the fighters today.

My thing about this show is that they take a lot of the fighters from throughout the ages and put them all in one show, real planes too, I haven't seen a plane I didn't recognize yet. I watch it for the planes, the plot and everything else is pretty generic. I think it is strange the main char. is in an F-8 about 25yrs. older than a lot of the planes in the series, but people are right it's the pilot, not the plane, and F-8 still has OK performance even by today's standards. I mean most of the enemy planes are Mig-15/17/19 or Mig-21 at best, so even an F-8 is already a step up on most of these. The performance of the planes seems a bit unreal, especially the turns, and the enemy missles are especially bad, but it is at least plausible (if they're using much older missles).
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 11:00   Link #46
Briareos

Are they really going to decomission the A-10s? We've got some stationed in Battle Creek, MI and it's great to see 'em in the local airshows. Here's a link to some A-10 info with lots of pretty pictures (a few of the "Tank Killer" actually firing its main gun). http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/a-10.htm

I watched a little of the first ep of this remake (I'll watch more when I've got more free time) and I'm really sad that they didn't/couldn't pay more attention to aircraft/flight detail. As mentioned earlier, the takeoff angles (that pay little attention to actual physics), remaining missles (having already been fired but still present on the aircraft), lack of shadows, and generally undetailed animation all take away from the believability of the series in technical terms. I'll have to watch more before I can comment on the series as a whole.
Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 14:30   Link #47
karrde

After watching two eps it seems to me that all the planes are cell shaded 3d models on top of hand drawn backgrouds. That probably explains a lot of the shadow and gliding problems. It probably also explains the missle thing. That way they don't have to render as much and can resue shots more, which since I've seen the same mig get shot by the same missle at least 3 times in two eps.....
karrde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-23, 15:17   Link #48
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrde
After watching two eps it seems to me that all the planes are cell shaded 3d models on top of hand drawn backgrouds. That probably explains a lot of the shadow and gliding problems. It probably also explains the missle thing. That way they don't have to render as much and can resue shots more, which since I've seen the same mig get shot by the same missle at least 3 times in two eps.....
Yeah but you can't take it too seriously, what other shows are there where you can see retro aircraft like these all together. The sheer variety of 'recognizeable' aircraft, everything else has gone way too futuristic for my tastes. Even if Area 88 TV takes place in the future, where a deficit-laden United States government is turning to liquidating the 'graveyards' of decomissioned fighters and attack planes to make federal budget ends meet (that's the most-likely-imagineable scenario for this show), it's still very retro in terms of the look and feel, the planes used, the themes / pilots, etc. I can't name another show that does these things in the last 5 years (can anyone?), it definately has a unique appeal today.
Old 2004-02-23, 20:06   Link #49
Anlushac11

There has been talk of decommisioning the A-10's for years. They exist in a Air Force obsessed with go faster fighter.

The A-10 has been on the cutting block time and again and so far gets called back into service and proves itself in combat and survives danage that would have knocked a squadron of F-16's down.

The A-10 was designed to fly low in enemy territory and survive and fight. It does that very well. It is probably the best close support fixed wing aircraft in service.

A SU-25 Frogfoot or a F/A- 16 or 18 can go supersonic and bomb and strafe as well but it takes a small manuverable aircraft to operate down low and spot targets. It is much easier to spot a tank under a tree from 250 ft up going at 400mph than going at 600mph. And at that altitude any gun in the world can take down a F-16 or F-18

The A-10 might be kicked back to the Reserves but I think they will be kept handy.
Anlushac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-24, 01:34   Link #50
chun86

the new area 88 sucks

as the title says. The old Area 88 OVA was awesome. This new anime sucks ass. Wonder if anyone realizes this.
chun86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-24, 13:40   Link #51
Access

Also plane for plane an A-10 can take out a lot more tanks per mission than some other plane. I wouldn't expect it to be replaced until the JSF goes into full production (2008?). A-10 has ~20 seconds firing from the main gun, then it has at least 6 maverick anti-tank missiles, that alone is enough to take out 12 tanks in a single mission. While most other attack planes would be hard pressed to take out half that number in a single mission. Finally the A-10 can co-operate with attack helicopters (apaches, cobras) while the F-16 and others would find it more difficult. A-10 is part of what made the 'highway of death' a reality in the first persian gulf war, it's proved its worth time and time again.
Old 2004-03-13, 17:23   Link #52
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

Ep 7 was pretty cool, gotta love the harrier, all the fuel it burns :P
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 13:36   Link #53
dbz4ever

Question How many episodes in total?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hor
Ep 7 was pretty cool, gotta love the harrier, all the fuel it burns :P

Does anyone know how many episodes are there in total?

Thanks
dbz4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 14:51   Link #54
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

The new series is still on going, I think 10 or so have aired. 7 have been subbed, and in total, I thought it was going to be 13 eps.
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 14:53   Link #55
Tellu54
Banned

12 eps.

Alas, I'll be in Japan during the last one and won't be able to TL it, but somebody else from A-K will step in.

-
Tellu54, Area 88 TL
Tellu54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 15:14   Link #56
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access
Avenger cannon it is, 30mm and similar in RPM. Not Vulcan. Vulcan cannon is on many of the fighters today.

My thing about this show is that they take a lot of the fighters from throughout the ages and put them all in one show, real planes too, I haven't seen a plane I didn't recognize yet. I watch it for the planes, the plot and everything else is pretty generic. I think it is strange the main char. is in an F-8 about 25yrs. older than a lot of the planes in the series, but people are right it's the pilot, not the plane, and F-8 still has OK performance even by today's standards. I mean most of the enemy planes are Mig-15/17/19 or Mig-21 at best, so even an F-8 is already a step up on most of these. The performance of the planes seems a bit unreal, especially the turns, and the enemy missles are especially bad, but it is at least plausible (if they're using much older missles).
Yeah, I'm pretty dissapointed at the amount of unrealism in this series. Dogfights between jet aircraft are unlikely given that air to air missles can hit your opponent miles away. I suppose I have to give them some leeway for dramatic effect. I think a world war II anime of this kind would be really cool.

Ep 7 used a Harrier as a mobile SAM unit. Is that even possible?
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 19:01   Link #57
lt_shiro

Realism is Area 88 isn't the best, range of the some missiles used are very short only 10km for those intra-red gudied Sidewinders and these very cheap to make compare too more costly long range missile that are radar guided. And everyone in Area 88 is Just above Broke but what Kim did in episode 7 is very cool using his Harriar VTOL to hover just above the ground and attacking with his air to air missles like a SAMs site.

Last edited by lt_shiro; 2004-03-14 at 19:13.
lt_shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 19:57   Link #58
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Did anyone else hear about the subliminal images that were found in the Area 88 OP? Spookily I cant seem to visit any of the pages quoting this right now However apparently images of a nude woman collapsing were discovered in the title sequence......
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-14, 21:04   Link #59
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
There is? When?
Old 2004-03-14, 23:31   Link #60
Za Paper

Heres the article I found on animenewsnetwork.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=4681

link to the pics

http://hirobebe.hp.infoseek.co.jp/za...area88shot.jpg

I combed through the op of the first ep frame by frame but I didnt see it. Those planes in the pics , Mig-21's maybe?, dont even show up in the op sequence, nor in the entire 1st episode.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote