AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2009-05-16, 17:22   Link #61
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
As for how Selvaria/Welkin can go, one way IMO is for Selvaria to be adopted earlier by Belgen since she "was" freed from the secret Imperial research center.
Hmmm... between Maximillian's character and Serveria's recollections of said facility, I'm guessing the 'research' was/is less than pleasant for the subjects. And it does raise the question of 'gee, what else could they be working on...?'

Quote:
Another would be... well for Selvaria to get really interested in Welkin. Not sure how it can go from there.
This is likely where the darker forms of this relationship have their genesis. Under such a construction, she'll have to make her play and lay down solid groundwork before certain facts come to light.

Quote:
Took a look at the Rat Patrol series. Pretty interesting. In that case, the Edelweiss can't be used with S7 since they're going to be like the British LRDGs during World War II.
Quite true; at best, Edelweiss in such a continuity would be a very customized jeep/FAV. Should this be mixed with a modern-day/near-future tech level - both Frontlines: Fuel of War and GRAW2 showcase the tactical usefulness of drones - then Edelweiss could be something akin to the M8 AGS or Stryker (in the latter case, the M1128 MGS variant).
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 17:39   Link #62
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Hmmm... between Maximillian's character and Serveria's recollections of said facility, I'm guessing the 'research' was/is less than pleasant for the subjects. And it does raise the question of 'gee, what else could they be working on...?'
Spoiler for Research on Valkryia like Selvaria:

Now your suggestion with the Rat Patrol could work. In fact, I like it. Way better than my idea of "Max traveling around the world to look for artifacts that would bolster his position as future king of the Imperial Alliance and with Far East warriors sent to assassinate him."

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 18:05   Link #63
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Spoiler for Research on Valkryia like Selvaria:
While that could be an overarching goal of that particular black R&D program, it could spawn offshoots involving ragnite infusion (see also: the tiberium infusion upgrade Nod infantry can get in C&C3) and various weaponized forms of ragnite. Yet other distinct programs might include one trying to create an analogue of the V-2 as an early theater ballistic weapon... and, again, all these black programs provide ample fodder for espionage stories.
It should be kept in mind, too, that Gallia could have its own share of black programs. Two individuals come to mind who could, on their own or in concert, have the pull to set up and run such things outside of official purview.

Quote:
Now your suggestion with the Rat Patrol could work. In fact, I like it. Way better than my idea of "Max traveling around the world to look for artifacts that would bolster his position as future king of the Imperial Alliance and with Far East warriors sent to assassinate him." :D
I wouldn't circular-file that plot thread just yet; have it run laps in the grey matter for a bit and see how it can be fleshed out. A possible twist thereupon: the kill team(s) in question might result not from Max having stolen some artifact or committed some other indignity afield; rather, it appears that in taking possession of such-and-such artifact he unknowingly foiled the plans of some other entity.
Old 2009-05-16, 18:11   Link #64
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Ah. Yes...

The plot thickens. Now that makes a lot more sense, Firefly.

I'll have to brainstorm later how a Selvaria/Welkin scenario can be possible.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-05-17, 00:12   Link #65
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Found two fics recently updated:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5066043/..._the_Beginning

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5061813/...asy_Chronicles

The second one's based on a crossover with Final Fantasy VI. Quite interesting.

Also, I forgot to mention that if VC were to have a modern retellling, lances wouldn't exist anymore. The Lancers of Gallia would probably be called anti-armor infantry and have recoiless rifles from Carl Gustaf and/or loadable anti-tank missiles. The Empire would probably have RPGs instead. Not sure if anti-air troopers would be a separate class or would be integrated with the anti-armor ones.

Old 2009-05-17, 01:47   Link #66
Firefly00

Quote:
Ah. Yes...

The plot thickens. Now that makes a lot more sense, Firefly.
No problem; glad to be of assistance. Of course, my take on why there are kill teams from the Eastern lands out to put Max in the ground implies that they would like to go about their business in secrecy.

Quote:
I'll have to brainstorm later how a Selvaria/Welkin scenario can be possible.
Which, I think, is going to be an entity quite separate from the one referenced above.

Quote:
Also, I forgot to mention that if VC were to have a modern retellling, lances wouldn't exist anymore. The Lancers of Gallia would probably be called anti-armor infantry and have recoiless rifles from Carl Gustaf and/or loadable anti-tank missiles. The Empire would probably have RPGs instead. Not sure if anti-air troopers would be a separate class or would be integrated with the anti-armor ones.
It is reasonable to believe that the rocket/missile weapons in VC: Modern Warfare would have more sensible ergonomic forms (though the terms 'lance' and 'lancers' might remain in use out of tradition). I am obliged to point out tha the Russian catalog of man-portable rockets and missiles includes quite a bit more than the ubiquitous RPG-7... such as the RPO-A Shmel (Bumblebee).
Some study as to how NATO and Russian forces diburse man-portable missiles is in order here (this is distinct from dedicated AA vehicles such as the 9K22 Tunguska or certain Bradley and Stryker variants). Reminder: AT and AA missiles have different performance profiles (ATGMs utilize HEAT or HESH effects to defeat armor; antiair missiles rely on blast-fragmentation and proximity fusing to do the deed).
Recoilless rifles are easily in reach of VC's canon tech level; indeed, they can be a Rat Patrol unit's heavy punch, whether jeep-mounted or carried by something akin to the Ontos... the latter's weaknesses (high profile and vulnerable reload cycle) are somewhat mitigated if used in a hit-and-run mission profile.
I also suspect that a modern take on VC would banish the Gallian uniforms' blue/red color scheme to ceremonial duties; more sensible patterning would be found in the field (although the cut and style would still be distinctive once you got a clear look). While the Imperials' preference for browns and greys is not always ideal, it does for the most part make them less obvious in many situations.
Old 2009-05-17, 02:34   Link #67
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Ah yep. I see. Didn't forget about the RPO. Though I was thinking that Imperial troops would use RPGs as they would need a weapon that's always reloadable like the RRs. (Well actually, I know that there aren't any modern Western-made anti-armor missiles that can be reloaded. I guess we can discuss that carefully since the Gallian lancers would carry these guys, unless one would consider allowing the Airtronic-made version of the RPG as they're doing recently. Can't think of a suitable anti-armor rocket launcher that the Gallians can use.)

I agree with the uniforms. Most likely they'll do camouflage uniforms for the Gallian military. But I don't know about the Imperials though.

Another fic (and a crazy one) is always overused, but I'm a clear sucker for this type of story category.

Spoiler for Don't look:

Old 2009-05-17, 02:48   Link #68
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, Welkins isn't exactly a "player". Then again...

I'm sure most of the girls in Squad 7 see him only as a squad leader. After all, there are other men around.
Old 2009-05-17, 02:53   Link #69
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Exactly...

Spoiler for Opinion:

Old 2009-05-17, 02:55   Link #70
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

It is possible to have Welkins touch the hearts of these particular ladies, especially without him knowing it. Similar story with many other such leads.
Old 2009-05-17, 02:57   Link #71
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Could be done. Yeah, I agree.

I mean, I'd like to try it. But I never do those kind of stories. Well maybe I can whip up a dark one perhaps.

Old 2009-05-17, 03:01   Link #72
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Don't make it too dark, though. There's still a war going on. A yandere popping up within Squad 7 is... odd.
Old 2009-05-17, 03:05   Link #73
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Nah...

I brainstormed with Firefly regarding the possibility of a Welkin/Selvaria story, though I wasn't sure if I should make it dark or not.

Thanks for the warning...

Old 2009-05-17, 03:14   Link #74
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I do have a subplot for my story regarding Marina. She actually finds someone whom she wants to surpass over in the Imperial army. But, this rivalry eventually brought love to her. I think of it as a hidden potential for her in game terms. The Ice Queen melts, and Squad 7 is better off because of it.
Old 2009-05-17, 03:30   Link #75
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Which Imperial ace though? One of them ace snipers I remember is Lilia, which IMO sounds like a girl's name.

Old 2009-05-17, 03:38   Link #76
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Oh, he's from my story, which I discussed at length earlier.

Sniper 1: Mark Picker (CPL)
Height: 168cm
Weight: 58kg

Snarky and sarcastic, Mark conceals a loyal friend beneath his rough exterior. Slow to warm, as Louise found out only too well, but once he's your buddy, you can count on him. Comes from a line of hunters, but doesn't really enjoy killing animals. During the war, he crosses Marina's path several times...

Honestly, Marina would make a nice half of a Battle Couple.
Old 2009-05-17, 03:42   Link #77
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Oh ho...

Yeah, I wish you luck with that. Marina's hard to crack, especially with the Tedster.

Old 2009-05-17, 03:45   Link #78
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Oh, whoever said about playing fair against her? It takes him and his buddies some serious isolation tactics to nab her.
Old 2009-05-17, 03:46   Link #79
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Oh, whoever said about playing fair against her? It takes him and his buddies some serious isolation tactics to nab her.
Oh? Now that's interesting.

Old 2009-05-17, 04:10   Link #80
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Oh? Now that's interesting.
Even with Lone Wolf, My Way and Ultimate Accuracy, Marina discovers that her foes are unusually determined to take her down. Truth be told, Mark and Co. would really love to put a bullet in her head once they've got her, seeing as how she gave the Rats huge headaches for every previous skirmish. But, orders are orders. However, Mark discovers that beneath her cool exterior, his prisoner is waiting for someone who truly understands her, someone whom she'll allow into her heart.

Tags
fanfiction