AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-06-19, 15:25   Link #1
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
How about letting us lock our own created topics?

I thought it would be really cool to lock the fourm we create. Sometimes the mods/admins aren't there and someone is creating havoc in a fourm we created. We need to stop the madness eventually, especially if we are not proud about how the topics we create turns out and want to lock it.

Only a suggestion, but it would be nice if we could......
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 15:38   Link #2
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
I thought it would be really cool to lock the fourm we create. Sometimes the mods/admins aren't there and someone is creating havoc in a fourm we created. We need to stop the madness eventually, especially if we are not proud about how the topics we create turns out and want to lock it.

Hmmm, I don't like the idea, this way people will lock topics when they see others don't agree or for a comment they don't like ...
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 15:46   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb

I assume you mean "thread" not "forum" in your post.

As such, it would be open to abuse (as pointed out by 7thMethuselah) if the thread creator could lock the thread, so it's not going to happen. It's the same reason why you can't delete your own posts. Plus it would require a hack to the vB s/w I believe.

If a thread needs to be locked, then I suggest you use the "Report Bad Post" button (found in the lower left corner of every post) to alert the Mods.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-19, 16:11   Link #4
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
I assume you mean "thread" not "forum" in your post.

As such, it would be open to abuse (as pointed out by 7thMethuselah) if the thread creator could lock the thread, so it's not going to happen. It's the same reason why you can't delete your own posts. Plus it would require a hack to the vB s/w I believe.

If a thread needs to be locked, then I suggest you use the "Report Bad Post" button (found in the lower left corner of every post) to alert the Mods.
Isn't the report button a bit too much to do though? I thought it was supposed to do something like email all the moderators etc and that you'd better PM a moderator than using this button unless it was really something bad.
Old 2004-06-19, 16:45   Link #5
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
Isn't the report button a bit too much to do though? I thought it was supposed to do something like email all the moderators etc and that you'd better PM a moderator than using this button unless it was really something bad.
As I said, if a thread needs to be locked, use the Report button.

I would admit that if the only reason for wanting to lock the thread was because it would be cool to do so, then you are correct, it would be gross misuse of the Report button. But I was referring to a situation where it was warrented to alert the Mods
Old 2004-06-20, 09:56   Link #6
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Quote:
As I said, if a thread needs to be locked, use the Report button.

I would admit that if the only reason for wanting to lock the thread was because it would be cool to do so, then you are correct, it would be gross misuse of the Report button. But I was referring to a situation where it was warrented to alert the Mods
So the report button is kind of like an S.O.S. for a thread. If something so terribly wrong, you can use the button, but only if they're spamming, insulting others, going off topic, etc.

That sounds useful, but some can abuse its power. I have the power! (not to abuse it) :P
Old 2004-06-22, 05:54   Link #7
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
Hmmm... instead of locking your own thread... I think it would be cool if we were given an option to delete our own post...
Sid_Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 06:09   Link #8
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_Burn
Hmmm... instead of locking your own thread... I think it would be cool if we were given an option to delete our own post...
Did you read this part?

Quote:
It was taken off before, since at the beginning of the new forum you could delete your own posts, but you could also delete a thread you had created
Old 2004-06-22, 14:40   Link #9
Carpe Jugulum
Kessen Satsu

Send a message via AIM to Carpe Jugulum Send a message via MSN to Carpe Jugulum
I understand that people would abuse the 'deleting your own thread' power, so I agree with not allowing us that power.
However I don’t see how being able to delete your own posts can fall into the same problem as deleting your own thread, I mean what if you say something really stupid and you want to get rid of it before you get kicked off the site or something.
I mean I know a mod will get rid of it but then everyone will have seen it and you get loads of hassle etc.

Carnt you give people the power to delete their own posts and not their threads? You would only have the power to silence yourself and not others and I don’t see how you could course any major problems.
Carpe Jugulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-22, 14:55   Link #10
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Basically, no.

AFAIK, the forum software (as it is) does not have such a option. If you delete a post and that post happens to be at the start of the thread, the whole thread is affected (read: delete the first post = delete the whole thread). Besides, you can always edit your post and delete the content... just not the actual post.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 05:47   Link #11
Sid_Burn
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sid_Burn Send a message via AIM to Sid_Burn Send a message via Yahoo to Sid_Burn
instead of deleting and locking down threads... Im think it would be cool if we have the previledge to edit threads...
Old 2004-06-23, 05:55   Link #12
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
instead of deleting and locking down threads... Im think it would be cool if we have the previledge to edit threads...
I think it would be cool if you stopped posted these pointless questions...

I'm not going to answer your question because I can only assume you're spamming. I mean, I really hope you realise you can edit threads (at least the posts you made), you're not really that clueless are you?
Old 2004-06-23, 06:28   Link #13
Sid_Burn
Banned

wat if u made a mistake on let's say instead of only 3 poll options you made a 5 poll option... wat are you gonna do? just sit back and look at your mistakes?...
Old 2004-06-23, 06:33   Link #14
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Hmm... I understand why people shouldn't be able to lock their own threads, but I don't quite get the reason why people can't delete their posts when they can edit it.

Anyway I don't like the idea of people locking up their own threads, that could be abused too easily. Like in a hot discussion you just say something smart and lock it up so noone else can reply... It's already bad enough for the mods to post something smart then lock it up, it will become a mess if everyone can lock up their own threads...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-23, 07:12   Link #15
Thany
Unfair

Did you even read what was said?
If you could delete your post, a thread starter could easily delete his own thread by deleting his first post in it : you can't delete your post in order to prevent those sort of behaviours.
Old 2004-06-23, 08:59   Link #16
Sid_Burn
Banned

Quote:
If you could delete your post, a thread starter could easily delete his own thread by deleting his first post in it : you can't delete your post in order to prevent those sort of behaviours.
are you talking to me or to dreamless?... If you are talking to me... I am not referring to deleting post or locking up threads... I just want a previledge to edit my own created thread so if some accident happen... like for example... the name of thread seems wrong and you want to change it... then by just using edit... you can change the title right away...
Old 2004-06-23, 09:31   Link #17
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
are you talking to me or to dreamless?... If you are talking to me... I am not referring to deleting post or locking up threads... I just want a previledge to edit my own created thread so if some accident happen... like for example... the name of thread seems wrong and you want to change it... then by just using edit... you can change the title right away...
Sheesh, how many time do we need to tell you. Those type of changes require hacks into the vB s/w so they are not going to happen.

And again, are you really not aware that you can edit the name of the thread! As long as you made the edit within 5 minutes of the original post, you can edit it. Polls you can't edit, once you create them, any changes will require a Mod.

As for your first question, I think it's clear that Thany was referring to dreamless.

And please, if you have any more questions, read the thread before making another pointless post.
Old 2004-06-25, 23:15   Link #18
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Quote:
As such, it would be open to abuse (as pointed out by 7thMethuselah) if the thread creator could lock the thread, so it's not going to happen.
I was going to suggest only give those the ablity to lock threads if it's for a good reason. (ie.Spemmers, flaming, going off topic, etc.) It wouldn't work for two reasons:

Quote:
Plus it would require a hack to the vB s/w I believe.
This shot it down right away.

2. Mods/admins already lock threads for that reason.

Now I have to apologize for starting this thread. This answers all the questions why locking your threads/deleting your posts are impossible. (Unless like stated multiple times before you happen to be a hacker.)

I'm sure that there are no hackers here. Please lock this thread due to all questions being answered.

Thank you for all the answers.

Signed,

Razer_2mb

P.S. Xris, please forgive me for being annoying over the past week.
Old 2004-06-26, 08:50   Link #19
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
well what I meant is I don't understand why you can't delete your post... I mean, the post which is not the one which you start a thread with at last... but then I guess it's something to do with hacking into the vb code...

Well, at least you can virtually "delete" your post by editing the post to something like "post deleted" I guess...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote