Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-02, 17:58   Link #8881
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Here we go again...
Golf spill 2.

Ain't we in hurricanes season now? Maybe if this time the disaster is worse ppl will learn not to drill in the ocean for good.
Old 2010-09-02, 18:38   Link #8882
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Golf spill 2.

Ain't we in hurricanes season now? Maybe if this time the disaster is worse ppl will learn not to drill in the ocean for good.
Hurricanes are signs that people who drill in the ocean deserve to be punished?? o.o
Old 2010-09-02, 19:22   Link #8883
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Hurricanes are signs that people who drill in the ocean deserve to be punished?? o.o
That's not really what he said: he said than maybe a bigger disaster would teach the lesson this time.
Old 2010-09-02, 19:35   Link #8884
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
That's not really what he said: he said than maybe a bigger disaster would teach the lesson this time.
Ok, its quite hard for my to understand what the meaning is at first. But thanks for telling me ganbaru

Also after hearing what it truly means, it sounds kinda right.
Old 2010-09-02, 19:38   Link #8885
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Well speaking of hurricanes and oil spills, When people where thinking it was a good idea to burn the oil off, I was thinking about having a fiery hurricane. That would be cool to see from a satellite.
Old 2010-09-02, 20:08   Link #8886
Nosauz

There has already been news of the disperant being found in pools in Florida, and on top of that causing illness to those that get in contact with it. Basically I'm deathly afraid of stepping into my pool.
Old 2010-09-03, 01:13   Link #8887
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Delhi loses patience with Commonwealth Games

Well that's an embarrassment.
Old 2010-09-03, 08:36   Link #8888
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Suicide bomber, 44 victims killed in two Pakistan blasts
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/as...bP8z&wom=false
Quote:
Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) -- At least 43 people have been killed and 78 others wounded in a bomb blast during an Al Quds day rally in the southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta, authorites said.
Dramatic video showed what appeared to be an explosion, followed by heavy smoke which cleared to reveal people lying bloodied on the ground.
Al Quds day is an annual event in the Arab and Muslim world which demonstrates solidarity towards the Palestinian cause.
Muslim suicide bombers, killing Muslim pro-palestinian protesters, on Al Quds day...
During Ramadan...
Words escape me.

Last edited by bladeofdarkness; 2010-09-03 at 08:56.
Old 2010-09-03, 09:49   Link #8889
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
Suicide bomber, 44 victims killed in two Pakistan blasts
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/as...bP8z&wom=false

Muslim suicide bombers, killing Muslim pro-palestinian protesters, on Al Quds day...
During Ramadan...
Words escape me.
They hate us for our freedoms!

In all seriousness, hopefully this will further turn public opinion against the extremists. Muslims have to wake up and realize that they are the ones that take the brunt of the damage from these attacks, not the West.
Old 2010-09-03, 10:14   Link #8890
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

P.S
the number's up to 59 dead by now.
Old 2010-09-03, 11:00   Link #8891
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
They hate us for our freedoms!

In all seriousness, hopefully this will further turn public opinion against the extremists. Muslims have to wake up and realize that they are the ones that take the brunt of the damage from these attacks, not the West.
didn't you know muslims are all terrorists, please get educated! I mean seriously, all mosques and minarets represent "thumbing their noses at..." the western world/ Amurica

I mean really muslims are not the ones blowing themselves, just like christians are the not the same people protesting outside our servicemen/women funerals or killing abortion doctors, or trying to turn America into a theocra.... OH SHIT!!!!! All christians are abortion doctor murderers!!! I must start my cause, Doctors without churches) for decency and for their protection!

Also I don't think extremists really want to change anything? They want more extremists and their attacks that create xenophobia in populations which cause more alienation of muslims will lead to more extremism as we further punish innocent muslims and treat them as if they are desperate to blow themselves and us up in one fell swoop. Generalizing is what the extremists and radicals want, they want a distinct us vs them mentality so they can divide the world as they see fit. Muslims on one side, and the rest on the other.

Last edited by Nosauz; 2010-09-03 at 11:15.
Old 2010-09-03, 13:17   Link #8892
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

God did not create the universe, says Hawking

Quote:
(Reuters) - God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.

In "The Grand Design," co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, Hawking says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts Thursday.

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."

Hawking, 68, who won global recognition with his 1988 book "A Brief History of Time," an account of the origins of the universe, is renowned for his work on black holes, cosmology and quantum gravity.

Since 1974, the scientist has worked on marrying the two cornerstones of modern physics -- Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, which concerns gravity and large-scale phenomena, and quantum theory, which covers subatomic particles.

His latest comments suggest he has broken away from previous views he has expressed on religion. Previously, he wrote that the laws of physics meant it was simply not necessary to believe that God had intervened in the Big Bang.

He wrote in A Brief History ... "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God."

In his latest book, he said the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting another star other than the Sun helped deconstruct the view of the father of physics Isaac Newton that the universe could not have arisen out of chaos but was created by God.

"That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions -- the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass, far less remarkable, and far less compelling evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings," he writes.

Hawking, who is only able to speak through a computer-generated voice synthesizer, has a neuro muscular dystrophy that has progressed over the years and left him almost completely paralyzed.

He began suffering the disease in his early 20s but went on to establish himself as one of the world's leading scientific authorities, and has also made guest appearances in "Star Trek" and the cartoons "Futurama" and "The Simpsons."

Last year he announced he was stepping down as Cambridge University's Lucasian Professor of Mathematics, a position once held by Newton and one he had held since 1979.

"The Grand Design" is due to go on sale next week.
Oh great, he's stating the obvious. Why did he even bother with religious fanatics who strip-mine Earth to build useless architecture?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-09-03, 14:17   Link #8893
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
God did not create the universe, says Hawking

Oh great, he's stating the obvious. Why did he even bother with religious fanatics who strip-mine Earth to build useless architecture?
i'd rather they spend their time building useless architecture then killing people.
stupid as it is, i'd rather let religion bring people together then blow them apart
Old 2010-09-03, 14:22   Link #8894
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Why did he even bother with religious fanatics who strip-mine Earth to build useless architecture?
Why are you bothering to create a straw man when there isn't even a discussion?
Old 2010-09-03, 14:24   Link #8895
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
i'd rather they spend their time building useless architecture then killing people.
stupid as it is, i'd rather let religion bring people together then blow them apart
oh aren't you coy!

As long as religion is going to exist I'm just going to ask they don't try to proselytize especially in America.
Old 2010-09-03, 15:49   Link #8896
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
oh aren't you coy!

As long as religion is going to exist I'm just going to ask they don't try to proselytize especially in America.
That's not gonna happen, for human are too hardwired in trying to propagate their belief, be them dubbed "religious", "spiritual" or "scientific".
Old 2010-09-03, 16:04   Link #8897
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
oh aren't you coy!

How can you expect people of faith not to spread it? What you're saying is akin to "if it's not my opinion I don't want it spoken." A religious faith can be considered an opinion; is it wrong for someone to convince others of their own opinion?
Old 2010-09-03, 16:14   Link #8898
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
How can you expect people of faith not to spread it? What you're saying is akin to "if it's not my opinion I don't want it spoken." A religious faith can be considered an opinion; is it wrong for someone to convince others of their own opinion?
Well in America they are trying to do it through the government, especially when the damn constitution says FREEDOM OF RELIGION and SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE, these things are important and I don't want America to become a theocracy, which the Republicans/Tea Partiers/Palinites continue to claim it is. I don't want them to kill abortion doctors and bomb abortion clinics to promote their agenda to promote their faith. These are all forms of spreading your religion. They have a right to say what they want to say, but NOT with public money, and not through the laws of the land. And on tax payer money try to teach our children creationism, and revionist history of our founders because they don't suit the flavor the conservatives approve of. If you think about science LeMark was wrong, yet nobody tried to silence him, the two theories competed and in the end, Darwin's was more plausible and acceptable to the general public. Then again I also don't want Sharia law, but the point is, say what you want, that is your right, but do not force your religion on me through government.
Old 2010-09-03, 17:06   Link #8899
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Why are you bothering to create a straw man when there isn't even a discussion?
What straw man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
That's not gonna happen, for human are too hardwired in trying to propagate their belief, be them dubbed "religious", "spiritual" or "scientific".
As long as there is a an objective ideology, there is always the four groups of yes, no, don't know, don't care.

Taking religion to be the objective ideology, I would say in the current world of events, the "yes" faction have decided to aggresively enforce their beliefs on others, so some from the "don't care" faction decided to step in on the "no" side.

World War III will reach its peak when there are only two factions left, and end with none.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-09-03, 17:12   Link #8900
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
What straw man?
Quote:
religious fanatics who strip-mine Earth to build useless architecture
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seemed to be implying that anyone who believes in God(s) falls into this type of behavior. Dr. Hawking was speaking in very broad terms of any entity which may be held responsible for creation and made no indication that he was implicating any religion or deity specifically in his conclusion, and following it with a statement like that seems to also be aimed at a very wide group of people.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international