AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-24, 23:42   Link #821
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
D/D Crit Thief is better for survivability imo, but does less damage than pistolwhip. It's also more fun to play, because with S/P you are only standing spamming 3, 3, 3, 3 all the freaking time, when with D/D you are dancing around your enemy backstabbing them for crazy damage with the right traits(depending on your build, it does more damage than the pistol, but it's situational and more skill based). Also, the fact that the dagger's autoattack is quicker than the sword adds up to your survivability.

I've used S/P from 60 to 80, now I'm going back to D/D hybrid, with CD and crit gear.
Have you tried having P/D as your swap.

I like it's 3 move where it slashes with the dagger then teleports away and shoots.

I will start with steal typically and wreck shop with D/D, but then if it starts to get sticky quick swap to P/D and hit 3 and you are far away where you can throw down caltrups and start shooting with your pistol till you either heal or can re-enter battle YOUR way.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 02:56   Link #822
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsy View Post
Have you tried having P/D as your swap.

I like it's 3 move where it slashes with the dagger then teleports away and shoots.

I will start with steal typically and wreck shop with D/D, but then if it starts to get sticky quick swap to P/D and hit 3 and you are far away where you can throw down caltrups and start shooting with your pistol till you either heal or can re-enter battle YOUR way.
Never tried that, but was aware of this skill. However, I prefer to swap to P/P and use Shadow Refuge. Or just go into stealth with D/D, escape and swap. Thief has plenty of escape skills with every weapon after all.

On a veteran, I always begin with getting in using Shadow Refuge, then I spam SB, steal when my initiative is getting low then spam SB again. Then I escape, swap to P/P and kite the veteran around by applying stacks of bleeding.

Last edited by leokiko; 2012-09-25 at 03:10.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 06:24   Link #823
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
I use dagger-dagger and my swap set is dagger-dagger :3

Sometimes shortbow, but mostly I use 4 daggers.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 08:52   Link #824
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Why? O-o i would guess that the cooldowns arent linked? If so i may try this on my guardian 2handers.
Old 2012-09-25, 11:00   Link #825
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

The thieve skills don't have cooldowns, so no I don't have 4 of the same thing for that.

I don't use a different weapon. I swap-weapon-spam and take advantage of the sigils in it. Each pair of dagger gives 7 seconds of aoe bleed and 50% endurance. That endurance help me use rolls more. My thief is a condition bleeder build. I spam roll's for caltrops (bleed) which uses endurance, that my sigil provides.

General pvp style is heartseeker once to close gap, death blossom/caltrop roll constantly. Weapon swap whenever I can. Weapon can be swapped regardless of conditions. I can do it knocked down/dazed/stunned. So weapon-swap itself is a endurance 'heal' and bleed attack that bypasses any CC.
Old 2012-09-25, 11:52   Link #826
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I hope they get around to making weapon sigils actually work with engineer kits sometime soon. Especially since those kits replace my ability to swap weapons which makes the "on swap" sigils literally useless. Currently all I can really do is build stacks of bloodlust with my rifle before switching to my actual weapon (flamethrower).
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 12:03   Link #827
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
I hope they get around to making weapon sigils actually work with engineer kits sometime soon. Especially since those kits replace my ability to swap weapons which makes the "on swap" sigils literally useless. Currently all I can really do is build stacks of bloodlust with my rifle before switching to my actual weapon (flamethrower).
Yeah, them and elementalists got the short end of the stick in this regard. There should be some secondary effect exclusively for non-swap classes so you don't just get a pile of useless sigils =/

Maybe a 15 second pulse effect when in combat? Like the swap bleed sigil becoming AoE bleed every 15 seconds for ele and engi.

I have my full exotic gears on my necromancer (Outside of mist) but all of his gears have no sigils. I can't decide on it Q__Q. Almost as frustrating as going clothes-shopping with a very indecisive and picky person.
Old 2012-09-25, 12:07   Link #828
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
The thieve skills don't have cooldowns, so no I don't have 4 of the same thing for that.

I don't use a different weapon. I swap-weapon-spam and take advantage of the sigils in it. Each pair of dagger gives 7 seconds of aoe bleed and 50% endurance. That endurance help me use rolls more. My thief is a condition bleeder build. I spam roll's for caltrops (bleed) which uses endurance, that my sigil provides.

General pvp style is heartseeker once to close gap, death blossom/caltrop roll constantly. Weapon swap whenever I can. Weapon can be swapped regardless of conditions. I can do it knocked down/dazed/stunned. So weapon-swap itself is a endurance 'heal' and bleed attack that bypasses any CC.
Ooooh, like my Guadian's , a 2hander and swrd/shield give me a stack of damage buff each time i switch weapons, and one of my traits gives me a buff for switching too i think. I understand now
Old 2012-09-25, 18:06   Link #829
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Managed to get in.

Though I think I need help on powerlevelling........I am level 42 on main and it is really getting slow to level.
Forget leveling; how do you acquire more money without getting pwned by waypoint costs? :S

I mean it's really stupid if I can zip to a event but the prize from the event is only slightly more than cost it takes to waypoint there. It's even worse when I'm going through the other 1-15 zones and can lose more money than I gain from getting to the hearts. So I have to walk everywhere anyways. At high levels when the hearts start running out, what can be done? This also makes meeting up with people even more annoying.

The costs should be based on distance and area level. I'm already getting leveled down when I enter a low area. So what's the point of having a nice, balanced system like level scaling and then making it unreasonable to go back to that area anyways?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-09-25 at 18:17.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-25, 22:22   Link #830
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Forget leveling; how do you acquire more money without getting pwned by waypoint costs? :S

I mean it's really stupid if I can zip to a event but the prize from the event is only slightly more than cost it takes to waypoint there. It's even worse when I'm going through the other 1-15 zones and can lose more money than I gain from getting to the hearts. So I have to walk everywhere anyways. At high levels when the hearts start running out, what can be done? This also makes meeting up with people even more annoying.
Buy a bunch of low-level gear with magic find and spam wave events.

Or farm dungeons. Or farm and sell mats on TP. Your choice.
Old 2012-09-26, 00:08   Link #831
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

The costs should be based on distance and area level. I'm already getting leveled down when I enter a low area. So what's the point of having a nice, balanced system like level scaling and then making it unreasonable to go back to that area anyways?
Agreeing with leokiko that some of the best ways to make money and farm high level material include dungeons, clustered dynamic events, and knowing what to salvage and what to sell (either through the merch or the TP). I make a decent amount of gold that ends up getting wiped out by my endless cosmetic desires. Whatever level you are, it's a good idea to do the appropriate level dungeon and to make note of where there are some DEs that yield good drops.

As for the magic find option, I currently have mine up to 87% and have noticed a slight improvement in the quality of the drops I receive. Unfortunately since I'm a ranger without many quick AoE options, warriors and elementalists tend to kill mobs quicker than I can.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 02:32   Link #832
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
[...] and elementalists tend to kill mobs quicker [...]

You need to be Beethoven to kill mobs quickly with an elementalist.
Old 2012-09-26, 03:25   Link #833
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post

You need to be Beethoven to kill mobs quickly with an elementalist.
To get loot off an mob, you just need to hit it a few times with decent damage. Elementalist's AOE's easily provide that, which is why they are great on these DE that involve killing a lot of stuff for loot.
Old 2012-09-26, 06:35   Link #834
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:

I get 1.5 gold to 2 gold every 2 hours in WvW. I'm not sure if that's considered fast or slow but it's something I can live with. WvW doesn't require teleport fees as it's all instant teleports, free teleports, and free mists travel.

On the down side, it is open PvP and death (fairly often depending on what you are doing) does break your equipment. Some of my WvW buddies simply run naked. (We call naked people in borderlands 'old spice guys' xD)

You gain money through these methods:

1. Taking over supply camps and capping it.
2. Killing sentries and capping it.
3. Hold down 'ctrl' to see items on the ground; go into the middle lake and pick up pearls and give them to Quaggan villagers. Giving them enough of them completes a 'capture the node' quest (for the weather station).
4. Doing massacre mob quests in the two top corners of the map and also the veteran that spawns.
5. Killing veteran mobs littered in the corners of the map.

At level 80, these give something like 13,336 exp, 300~400 karma, 1+ silver. Killing supply camp's Guild Claimer also gives you badges of honor which can be traded for exotic (orange) gear.

I ranked them 1 to 5 in descending order of contribution to your server. Killing veteran mobs doesn't benefit anyone except the people who were attacking it for the sake of quest reward. I usually just do 1, 2 and 5. 3 and 4 are too inconvenient and waste of time. I feel bad if I was taking up space and not doing something productive.

Participating in tower/keep sieges is unpredictable and can cost you more money than you earn. You'd have to pay attention to map/team chat for you are needed for a huge server-sized siege.

------
What's absolutely ridiculous is the value of real money in this game. $1 = 16 silver? Farming quests like my friends and I do in WvW makes almost as much game coin as to what a part-time minimum wage job gives when you transfer that money into gems and then coin =.="
Old 2012-09-26, 16:03   Link #835
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Gimme some coordination at WvW man! I am sick of people zerging around.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 16:41   Link #836
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Gimme some coordination at WvW man! I am sick of people zerging around.
Noticed you online an hour or so ago and well, if you want to win at WvW on Sea of Sorrows, I wouldn't play around this time.

Also where is everyone else that said they transferred onto this server? I have never seen any of you online.
Old 2012-09-26, 19:29   Link #837
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Either my internet hates me, or Guild Wars 2 just doesn't want me to play. I just disconnect every 3-5 minutes and can't play. Yet I'm still connected to the internet fine.
Old 2012-09-26, 20:27   Link #838
Somnus
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Noticed you online an hour or so ago and well, if you want to win at WvW on Sea of Sorrows, I wouldn't play around this time.

Also where is everyone else that said they transferred onto this server? I have never seen any of you online.
I'll see you guys on WvW as well...on the other side! Bwahahaha!

Really though, hopefully I do see you out there. On friendly terms...or...not so friendly ones!

Also, Hooves are you running any other programs that use the net as well? GW seems to boot anyone whose ping soars at a moments notice. I noticed this whenever I ran a download program like mIRC or uTorrent in the background. Other than that, I can't really say.
Old 2012-09-26, 21:21   Link #839
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
I'll see you guys on WvW as well...on the other side! Bwahahaha!

Really though, hopefully I do see you out there. On friendly terms...or...not so friendly ones!
You won't ever see me in WvW as long as I remain on this server. I check every day and that screen I posted a few pages back with my server not holding so much as a supply camp is the norm. Not even gonna waste my time with that. I've found a guild I like on this server though so I don't want to just leave now. Maybe I can convince them to all transfer off, haha.
Old 2012-09-27, 00:37   Link #840
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssTEss View Post
I think they're still free right now, but sooner or later when the population has "stabilized" you'll have to pay.

I also transferred to Sea of Sorrows, so if anyone wants to play together add Scarlet Lake.

That being said, i was getting a little bored so i decided to try WvW for the first time. Hammering at a door for a good half hour only to find another door to hammer down put me off GW2 for a couple of days
Those reinforced gates take ages to bring down with just player abilities.

Build a trebuchet or a catapult and start pelting them. You can get the blueprints for these from one of the merchants in the keep. Trebuchets have extremely long range (10,000 units), but need the most supplies (yes, you need people to grab supplies from their camps and ferry them to build these). About 10-15 shots of these should bring walls/gates down. Of course, you need to defend against invaders trying to bring your trebuchets down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Yeah, them and elementalists got the short end of the stick in this regard. There should be some secondary effect exclusively for non-swap classes so you don't just get a pile of useless sigils =/

Maybe a 15 second pulse effect when in combat? Like the swap bleed sigil becoming AoE bleed every 15 seconds for ele and engi.

I have my full exotic gears on my necromancer (Outside of mist) but all of his gears have no sigils. I can't decide on it Q__Q. Almost as frustrating as going clothes-shopping with a very indecisive and picky person.
I believe Sigils that work with weapon swapping work with attunement swapping (I'm an Elementalist as well). So yes, you do get the better end of it (since you can swap four times with a second interval between), unless they patched it out. Not sure about Engineers' weapon kits, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Either my internet hates me, or Guild Wars 2 just doesn't want me to play. I just disconnect every 3-5 minutes and can't play. Yet I'm still connected to the internet fine.
I'm not sure what is wrong on that. Do you get any error messages when you get disconnected?

Quote:

I probably would've hoarded about 20 gold worth of coins if I hadn't been on impulse buying and spending them on random stuff.

Events that you do at low-level zones do give out appropriate amounts of coins relative to your level. At Level 80, when clearing and exploring Wayfarer's Foothills and Snowden Drifts (Norn starter zone), I got mostly 90 coppers - 1+ silver for each event, even if Karma and Experience are on the lower side. Highest I saw was 1 silver 40 coppers, as far as I know, which is just slightly lower than what you get in the high-level zones (for example, in the Orr zones, I consistently get 1 silver 90 coppers per event with Gold medals).

A good way of making money once you get to higher level is to vendor blue and green items that you can't use (as opposed to giving them away for free to others who can use them, at least I did that when I level). Most of these are worth close to a silver and sometimes higher. Rares start dropping by ~L60. You get plenty of these (particularly blues and greens) from mob events. If you are planning to trade them on the Black Lion Trading Post, it's best to sell them to willing buyers immediately if there's one and their offers are not much lower than the lowest seller (and vice versa if the lowest seller actually sells for a lot). L70-80 rares should be traded if and only if the price for one of the salvage item - Globs of Ectoplasm (used to make Exotic items) - is lower than their cost. Most rares sell for ~20 silvers, but they have a chance, if salvaged, to give you a Glob of Ectoplasm that sell for the same amount. The only issue is that sometimes you can get 2-3x Globs of Ectoplasm from a single salvage (thus giving you more than the sale of a single rare), or none at all.

Last edited by PhoenixFlare; 2012-09-27 at 00:53.
PhoenixFlare is offline   Reply With Quote