AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2009-10-11, 15:46   Link #81
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Holy crap is it really confusing when people have the same avatar. Honest to god I thought I just saw serenade_beta arguing with himself and even stranger (or not) I thought nothing of it at the time.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 17:16   Link #82
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Well if you guys go by media praise, sales and fandom, Tales of Symphonia would be considered the best Tales game to date.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 07:49   Link #83
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Actually if you're going by sales, Tales of Destiny would be the best Tales only surpassed by the original Phantasia. Symphonia would actually take third, fandom wise Abyss, Vesperia and Symphonia have the stronger worldwide fanbase for obvious reasons. If we only include recent Tales then yes Symphonia would be top followed by Destiny 2.

Sure 'best' is subjective but going by general respect "Basically, one of the highest regarded among the community as a whole, rather than an individual opinion." is probably as good a summary as you can get.

Sidenote:
I thought I was watching a schizophrenic argue with themself :/
Old 2009-10-12, 09:19   Link #84
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Up to par with Symphonia and Abyss? That's like saying their stories are an example to follow. I haven't played Abyss, but Symphonia's story was badly paced and unfocused some time after Sylvarant's Tower of Salvation. The overall theme was cheesy at times as well.

I hope Tales of Graces will be better.
Old 2009-10-12, 13:15   Link #85
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Actually if you're going by sales, Tales of Destiny would be the best Tales only surpassed by the original Phantasia. Symphonia would actually take third, fandom wise Abyss, Vesperia and Symphonia have the stronger worldwide fanbase for obvious reasons. If we only include recent Tales then yes Symphonia would be top followed by Destiny 2. :/
How is ToD best by going by sales? ToD didn't reach 1mil copies like ToS did, and that's only the GC version >.>
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 13:24   Link #86
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
How is ToD best by going by sales? ToD didn't reach 1mil copies like ToS did, and that's only the GC version >.>
There are 3 versions of ToD, 1 PS version & 2 PS2 versions, and combined it outsold the combined numbers of ToS, both GCN & PS2 together.
Seeing what has been published so far, i do really think Tales of Graces will have a large fan base. Unfortunately its launching date could be its downfall, ~1 week before FFXIII.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 13:59   Link #87
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
There are 3 versions of ToD, 1 PS version & 2 PS2 versions, and combined it outsold the combined numbers of ToS, both GCN & PS2 together.
Seeing what has been published so far, i do really think Tales of Graces will have a large fan base. Unfortunately its launching date could be its downfall, ~1 week before FFXIII.
Releasing the same game 3 times over doesn't count. Having the same fans buy the same game over 10 years is stupidly redundant. Tales of Destiny was a terrible game with only a handful of actual fans. On top of which the PS2 release never left Japan.

The Tales series will always have its core fans. Especially considering the fact that Wii owners outnumber PS3 owners like 10 to 1.

ToS is more highly acclaimed than any other, proof:

Abyss:
http://www.gamerankings.com/ps2/9293...yss/index.html

Vesperia:
http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/...ria/index.html

Destiny:
http://www.gamerankings.com/ps/19888...iny/index.html

Destiny 2:
http://www.gamerankings.com/ps/52635...-ii/index.html

Symphonia:
http://www.gamerankings.com/gamecube...nia/index.html

Even if you decide to look up fan reviews. ToS has a ton more reviews compared to the others.
Old 2009-10-12, 14:14   Link #88
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Up to par with Symphonia and Abyss? That's like saying their stories are an example to follow. I haven't played Abyss, but Symphonia's story was badly paced and unfocused some time after Sylvarant's Tower of Salvation. The overall theme was cheesy at times as well.

I hope Tales of Graces will be better.
Some of us liked the cheese.... I agree with you on the rest though.

I have no experience with the games from Team Destiny, so for all I know they could have worse storylines than Symphonia or Abyss. I don't know what to expect.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 14:58   Link #89
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Releasing the same game 3 times over doesn't count. Having the same fans buy the same game over 10 years is stupidly redundant. Tales of Destiny was a terrible game with only a handful of actual fans. On top of which the PS2 release never left Japan.
That 2D games on the PS2 never left japan was a sony issue, SCEA weren't a fan of 2D games, and didn't approved those to be release overseas. This was overturn later on as the ps2 was phased out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I have no experience with the games from Team Destiny, so for all I know they could have worse storylines than Symphonia or Abyss. I don't know what to expect.
Rebirth and Hearts are pretty strong titles and beats, imo, both Symphonia and Abyss in terms of story and gameplay. The only question with Graces is, will it make it outside japan. The localisation of Tales of Symphonia and Phantasia (GBA) was funded by Nintendo and MS funded Vesperia. Since NamcoBandai bought up Atari who knows what is going to happen, i really doubt that Namcobandai will attempt to publish this title outside japan without financial backing from nintendo or any other publisher. They will probably wait and see how ToS:KoR is going to sell in the PAL territories, before making an announcement.
Old 2009-10-12, 15:06   Link #90
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
That 2D games on the PS2 never left japan was a sony issue, SCEA weren't a fan of 2D games, and didn't approved those to be release overseas. This was overturn later on as the ps2 was phased out.

Rebirth and Hearts are pretty strong titles and beats, imo, both Symphonia and Abyss in terms of story and gameplay. The only question with Graces is, will it make it outside japan. The localisation of Tales of Symphonia and Phantasia (GBA) was funded by Nintendo and MS funded Vesperia. Since NamcoBandai bought up Atari who knows what is going to happen, i really doubt that Namcobandai will attempt to publish this title outside japan without financial backing from nintendo or any other publisher. They will probably wait and see how ToS:KoR is going to sell in the PAL territories, before making an announcement.
ToG will make it out of Japan, every major console Tales has made it out since ToS came out. It was ToS's global success thats responsible for it. It's a major shame though that the DS Tales of game didn't make it out.
Old 2009-10-12, 19:02   Link #91
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Irrelevent when the remake alone still is one of the top sellers in first week ever and the sequel was the top first week selling game. It shows how they stand abit better really if use the JP figures which is really fairer than comparing lifetime sales for games which have quite frankly haphazard localization. Oh by the way you linked Eternia, not Destiny II, DII was also never released.

Tales of Destiny II - 517k
Tales of Rebirth - 385k
Abyss - 378k
Destiny R - 265k
Vesperia PS3 - 225k
Symphonia - 179k
Vesperia - 175k

Quote:
To be fair I was only talking about JP sales, Symphonia being the best seller what were you expecting when its a worldwide available game?

Quote:
Up to par with Symphonia and Abyss?
Generally speaking Symphonia was never even in the equation. :/

Quote:
Thats the main problem most people haven't but the people who have swear by them. But one thing is agreeable regardless of language barrier the Destiny team games play a hell of a lot better than the others do.

Last edited by Sety; 2009-10-12 at 19:12.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 19:57   Link #92
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Overall sales is what matter to a Japanese company. How well a game sells outside their homeland means more money, meaning more relevance to their decisions. Using Japan only sales means nothing. Besides the PS1 and PS2 install base is much larger during those era, of course sales would be higher to begin with.

The install base is what drives a company to make games for a system. It's the major reason why ToG is on the Wii is my main guess.
Old 2009-10-12, 21:48   Link #93
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
The install base is what drives a company to make games for a system. It's the major reason why ToG is on the Wii is my main guess.
Isn't it because there are already a Tales of games on PS3 and X360?
Old 2009-10-12, 21:52   Link #94
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Holy crap is it really confusing when people have the same avatar. Honest to god I thought I just saw serenade_beta arguing with himself and even stranger (or not) I thought nothing of it at the time.
Nadeko, banza~i, banza~i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Isn't it because there are already a Tales of games on PS3 and X360?
That might be part of the reason, perhaps, but the fact it is cheaper and easier to make games on the Wii, and Wii games sell more, is probably the major factor. I think.
EDIT: Wait, I doubt that is a reason. Since there is also a Tales on the Wii already. Making it Wii = 1 X360 = 1/2 PS3 = 1.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2009-10-12 at 22:42.
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 07:47   Link #95
Statonxyb
hrm

I really hope this gets ported to the PS3. I really dislike when mothership titles are only available on gimmicky consoles I'll never buy.
Old 2009-10-13, 12:08   Link #96
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statonxyb View Post
I really hope this gets ported to the PS3. I really dislike when mothership titles are only available on gimmicky consoles I'll never buy.
Yeah, homeconsoles are for babies, port it to the DSi.
Old 2009-10-13, 13:16   Link #97
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
lol, I see there are still jaded people out there that calls the Wii a gimmick. It's ok you'll always have your 360 ports. *cough*
Old 2009-10-13, 13:28   Link #98
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Personally, I think the Wii is the perfect home for the Tales series.
Old 2009-10-13, 15:40   Link #99
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara
Tales of Destiny was a terrible game with only a handful of actual fans.
If the game had only a handful of fans Namco wouldn't bother with remaking it twice.
Quote:
ToS is more highly acclaimed than any other
(snip)
Even if you decide to look up fan reviews. ToS has a ton more reviews compared to the others.
Of course, because it got released in all three major regions.
Quote:
Overall sales is what matter to a Japanese company.
In reality, the Japanese sales matter to a Japanese publisher. Sad, but true.
Quote:
The install base is what drives a company to make games for a system.
Yet Tales of Vesperia was released on the Xbox 360, the console with the smallest install base in Japan.
Old 2009-10-13, 17:07   Link #100
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
If the game had only a handful of fans Namco wouldn't bother with remaking it twice.

Of course, because it got released in all three major regions.

In reality, the Japanese sales matter to a Japanese publisher. Sad, but true.

Yet Tales of Vesperia was released on the Xbox 360, the console with the smallest install base in Japan.
a re-release is an attempt to bank on the massive PS2 market, which worked.

I don't know how much you keep up on media news, but expanding and maintaining sales outside of japan is the only way to keep the video game industry from failing since the industry itself is on the decline, until the wii and ds came to the rescue.

ToV came out on the 360 because MS smacked Namco with a wad of cash in an attempt to expand their market in the east.

Tags
game, games, rpg