AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Old 2010-05-16, 14:41   Link #381
Eliminator

To get back on 'topic',

I wonder why Mikoto became so popular though. Is it because of her 'relationship' with Touma?
Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 15:37   Link #382
tsunade666

I don't know too. I myself didn't like much mikoto. Maybe it's about the railgun. Her own spin off story though that was the result of her being popular. Popular enough to have her own spin off.

Maybe she's cute when dealing with touma but to me that's just an ordinary tsundere.... I can't find much her charm really charming at all. I prefer the other girls more than her.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 16:18   Link #383
Eliminator

Either way, she still is the most popular character in the To Aru series (besides Touma or Index), especially since more than 50% of all known To Aru series doujinshi are about Mikoto, and half/a good portion of them are about Mikoto/Touma or some threesome involving Mikoto and Touma.

To me, the reason why I think she's popular is mainly because of her portrayal in the anime and in the manga, with her tsundereness and that many people found her interactions with Touma to be hilarious for some reason. As for the other female characters, it wasn't because they were unattractive, it was probably because most people these days seem to be interested in tsundere characters as opposed to characters of other archetypes.
Old 2010-05-16, 17:30   Link #384
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
To me, the reason why I think she's popular is mainly because of her portrayal in the anime and in the manga, with her tsundereness and that many people found her interactions with Touma to be hilarious for some reason. As for the other female characters, it wasn't because they were unattractive, it was probably because most people these days seem to be interested in tsundere characters as opposed to characters of other archetypes.
I agree to this part. The tsundere chara are really entertaining to watch. Though she is not popular thanks to the anime and manga. She is popular before that. Her popularity boost on vol 3 of the novel and then they decide a side story for her.

Though I could admit she is cute. I just find her to common now a days. I prefer the shy type itsuwa or the daring type lessa than a tsundere type mikoto.

EDIT: if someone ask if lessa is part of the harem, the answer is NO.

EDIT: AGAIN!!! if everyone likes Mikoto for being tsundere then I realized why I don't like her much. I like her tsundere attitude but her level their yet. I like more nanase from bungaku shoujo. she is the real deal tsundere for me

Last edited by tsunade666; 2010-05-16 at 17:54.
Old 2010-05-16, 19:00   Link #385
Shadow5YA

If Mikoto is popular because she's a tsundere, then it doesn't explain why she's more popular than Index, who is even more tsundere towards Touma.

Personally, I think Mikoto is just one of the deeper female protagonists in the Indexverse. Her character is just more dynamic than Index's, Kanzaki Kaori doesn't get enough spotlight in the story.

Think about it: what was her character like at the beginning of the series? She was arrogantly proud and concerned about her image. She took pride in the fact that she never lost a fight (until Touma), and she never worked together with others.

Look how much of that has changed. The Accelerator arc made her swallow her pride and ask for help from others, and she learned some humility in the process.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 19:28   Link #386
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
To get back on 'topic',

I wonder why Mikoto became so popular though. Is it because of her 'relationship' with Touma?
Because she is tsundara and freaking strong.

She probably more useful than 80% of the female cast combined.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-16, 19:57   Link #387
Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
She probably more useful than 80% of the female cast combined.
You talking about the light novels or the anime/manga?
Old 2010-05-16, 21:59   Link #388
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
You talking about the light novels or the anime/manga?
The cast of railgun manga.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 00:38   Link #389
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
she probably more useful than 80% of the female cast combined.
hmm, that's debatable. Aside from her own arc, she hasn't been involved with much crisis...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 00:59   Link #390
tsunade666

maybe he meant for the railgun cast because if its for the index cast.... well she's useful.... for zapping the brains out of touma. Why would they even send a kid against the mages that kills people.

And maybe because index are rarely seen on the stage and when mikoto does appear on the spot light. Everyone just misses her short but fun appearance. That's why, maybe she got her own spin off because of that too.
Old 2010-05-17, 01:16   Link #391
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

well that's not fair considering mikoto is the lead main character in railgun, of course she'll have more screentime. Interestingly, Mikoto's main role in index is not as a fighter, but a provider of information for touma, similar to index herself.
Old 2010-05-17, 01:52   Link #392
tsunade666

Well biribiri did provide some help other than information for touma in the later volumes but still she's not the one who's fighting the ubber killer mage. Well she's more like a side character like index.
Old 2010-05-17, 08:13   Link #393
Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
well that's not fair considering mikoto is the lead main character in railgun, of course she'll have more screentime. Interestingly, Mikoto's main role in index is not as a fighter, but a provider of information for touma, similar to index herself.
If she were a fighter, she'd be obliterated instantly by the other fighters. Considering that she is trying to save Touma, I think she's the one who would end up being saved/badly injured in volume 21. Whenever she does something by herself, she screws up in the process. So I'm not surprised.

So she's going to end up shitting bricks in volume 21, since she is way far behind in the storyline, imo. (especially with Accelerator and Touma)
Old 2010-05-17, 08:35   Link #394
tsunade666

Quote:
If she were a fighter, she'd be obliterated instantly by the other fighters. Considering that she is trying to save Touma, I think she's the one who would end up being saved/badly injured in volume 21. Whenever she does something by herself, she screws up in the process. So I'm not surprised.

So she's going to end up shitting bricks in volume 21, since she is way far behind in the storyline, imo. (especially with Accelerator and Touma)
She's not really weak. Remebmer she's still level 5 but despite that it's just that the current power struggle are just too strong. And touma's current enemy is demi god level.

Mikoto could help beating up russian army and mechanoids. She could probably handle a normal magicians. But the ubber class or rather those we could called on cheat modes. She's just a little ant infront of them.
Old 2010-05-17, 08:49   Link #395
Eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
She's not really weak. Remebmer she's still level 5 but despite that it's just that the current power struggle are just too strong. And touma's current enemy is demi god level.

Mikoto could help beating up russian army and mechanoids. She could probably handle a normal magicians. But the ubber class or rather those we could called on cheat modes. She's just a little ant infront of them.
Guess so. Either way, I still think that there's going to be drama for Mikoto at least in volume 21. Who knows that the author would do.
Old 2010-05-17, 10:02   Link #396
giorno

well, let's take a look at touma's main antagonists:
vol 1: Styl, Kaori, Johan Penn Index
vol 2: Aureolous Izzard
vol 3: Accelerator
vol 4: Misha(Gabriel)
vol 5: Unabara Mitsuki, Yamisaka Ouma
vol 6: Sherry
vol 7: Roman Catholic Army, (briefly)Amakusa
vol 8: Awaki
vol 9-10: Oriana
vol 11: Roman Catholic Fleet
vol 13: Vento of the Front, FUZE = Kazakiri
vol 14: Terra of the Left
vol 16: Acqua of the Back
vol 17-18: Carissa+Knights of England
vol 20+: Fiamma

Mikoto could have been useful in volumes 5(she was, in fact), 6(again), 7, 8(again)

otherwise she could have been useful only to battle minor enemies(like the hound dogs in volume 13)

basically, Mikoto would be a good help for Touma, about as much as the Amakusa, for support and fighting minor enemies with large numbers, but that's about it. (And the Amakusa are a much better help against magicians anyways, especially saints)

She still would be more of a liability than anything against most of the main enemies Touma fought....
giorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 11:03   Link #397
tsunade666

she would be more likely a heavy load for touma. Touma would just tried to defend against the attackers that will attack her. And in the last volume she did tried to go too russia but what would she do their.....

the ubber class are their for example and most dangerous is by rank
Fianmma
Aurreleous
aqua
the princess of england
princess of france
the magicians that rival the saints

but she could deal with elite corps of russia.... well they only use guns but still they are strong and dealing against a kid wouldn't be a problem but heck she is a LEVEL 5!!!!
Old 2010-05-17, 17:41   Link #398
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

a couple of corrections, touma never fought misha, he fought tsuchimikado. He also never fought awaki directly. And he was 'protecting' fuse=kazakiri. The truth is, short of god's right seat, angels, accelerator and alchemist, mikoto would have been incredibly helpful in any other fight, the only reason why she wasn't involve is because of the political implications for espers to fight magicians. Remember, instead of asking what she can do to block magic, ask what can they do against her lightning.
Old 2010-05-17, 18:29   Link #399
Eliminator

In a way, Mikoto can aid Touma with her lightning. Who knows what others may do against her attacks. The question is how is it useful.

I think her against any sizeable force like soldiers would be no problem. She'd just fry them all to death like the electric goddess she is, it's not like they're overtly powerful like Fiamma or Kanzaki.

So how is the author going to determine Mikoto's role in the next novel?
Old 2010-05-17, 19:53   Link #400
giorno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
a couple of corrections, touma never fought misha, he fought tsuchimikado. He also never fought awaki directly. And he was 'protecting' fuse=kazakiri.
of course, i was just listing all the "main antagonists", as in, all the powerful main characters of each novel who weren't on Touma's side

Quote:
The truth is, short of god's right seat, angels, accelerator and alchemist, mikoto would have been incredibly helpful in any other fight, the only reason why she wasn't involve is because of the political implications for espers to fight magicians.
also except for the battles against Carissa in volume 17 and 18

besides that, yes, i definitely agree. Mikoto definitely would have been very useful in just about every novel for support, and in most novels to help fight against the weaker enemies, and in some novels, against the novel's main enemy as well.

Exactly the same as the amakusa.

Quote:
Remember, instead of asking what she can do to block magic, ask what can they do against her lightning.
well, there are anti-fire spells, so there are probably anti-lightning spells too...and someone like Tatemiya can activate an anti-flame spell almost instantly...granted, Tatemiya doesn't seem to be exactly an average magician, but still, most of the magician's with a name are on a similar level or higher...
giorno is offline   Reply With Quote