AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-11-15, 17:31   Link #621
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
It's true! He reads Kongou Banchou! There's little to no "Punch to the face resolution" in that manga...I promise!!!

Yep, and of course, I'm also quite partial to that thinking man's series known as Toriko, which in no way involves hulking dudes capable of destroying entire mountains with a single punch.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 18:41   Link #622
Rainrir
Tin Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yep, and of course, I'm also quite partial to that thinking man's series known as Toriko, which in no way involves hulking dudes capable of destroying entire mountains with a single punch.
!!!! You like a manga by a guy that solicitated underage sex, therefore your opinions are instantly invalid QXQXQXQXQXQXQ.

But in seriousness, as I said...I am mostly talking about Naruto/Bleach as a "Shounen baseline", not as a real indicator of actual quality. Alots of shounen manga have the "punch and things resolve themselves" approach, with varying levels of quality. YuYu Hakusho was one, so was DBZ and HnK. There are many, which is why I refer to it as "shounen baseline".

Anyway, I think we are on the same page, just at the different ends of it. I think we can all agree that some complexity and realism helps the manga, though not too much such that it "bores" the reader. I also think that just because a story is fantastical (like Kassim transforming into a Black Djinn, or magic-like Alchemy in FMA) doesn't mean that it still can't reflect some level of realism or complexity (which was an old complaint used by people to NOT count Scifi as "REAL literature").

Kongol Bancho was pretty mindless, but it is ok entertainment. Too bad the author self destructed...right when it started gaining traction.

Last edited by Rainrir; 2012-11-15 at 18:59.
Rainrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 02:39   Link #623
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Juicey bits from preview of the Sindbad adventures comic included in the DVD release.
Drawn not by the author, but by the assisstant

Young Dracone (whe he was still human) on the left, woot!
Right is probably young Jafar.
Old 2012-11-16, 02:47   Link #624
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Juicey bits from preview of the Sindbad adventures comic included in the DVD release.
Drawn not by the author, but by the assisstant

Young Dracone (whe he was still human) on the left, woot!
Right is probably young Jafar.
I see, soooooo, any ideas on how he became Rayquaza? Cause to be honest, this form looks cool, but current forme be better. Although I would like to see a short story on how he and his wife fell in love and overcame the boundaries placed upon them by his physical appearance to stay together. Wow that sounded romantic just now didn't it?^^;;.
Old 2012-11-16, 02:55   Link #625
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I think it's a given that a Dragonman! is infinitely cooler than generic human.
As for his wife, we don't know if they got romantically involved before or after the transformation.

It'd be cool if it was after, although eternally persisting love would be just as romantic.

Edit: oh, and "I am Dragule Nor Henrius Gobius Menudius Paltenubonomius Domid Ous Coltanon, son of General Dragriel Henrius Nodomis Peltegomidus. Remeber it well!" Yeeeaah not happening bro

Last edited by aohige; 2012-11-16 at 06:27.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 03:46   Link #626
MAX_COLA_POWER!

*Sees the long name*o.o;;;, yeah ummm, why don't we just call you Larry?
Old 2012-11-16, 07:35   Link #627
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Although I would like to see a short story on how he and his wife fell in love and overcame the boundaries placed upon them by his physical appearance to stay together. Wow that sounded romantic just now didn't it?^^;;.
In between the heptalogy main storyline of 'Sinbad and the Seven Dungeons', the episodic adventure stories in the 'Young Sinbad Chronicles', the politically focused mini-series "Sindria", and the slice-of-life comedy-drama, "The Eight Generals"...

Not to mentioned the highly-acclaimed heptalogy movie adaption of Sinbad's best-selling novel series,. the "Epics of Sinbad"...

Also known to the Eight Generals as 'Sinbad's Highly Exaggerated Retellings, mostly untrue, skipping out the shit we had to deal with. We hate how it pays our wages."

There's so many stories to choose from.

At least we're getting like 1% of it. >.>

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 13:38   Link #628
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Edit: oh, and "I am Dragule Nor Henrius Gobius Menudius Paltenubonomius Domid Ous Coltanon, son of General Dragriel Henrius Nodomis Peltegomidus. Remeber it well!"

I wonder if I'm the only one who immediately thought of Trigun when reading this?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 19:42   Link #629
Rainrir
Tin Can

Text is kinda small, so can't really see what he is saying

I think the only uncool thing was that becoming a dragonman is that he somehow became bald...

Can he shoot fire out of his mouth like Jaffar is Sinbad's Super Duper advenstures? In dragon form I mean.
Old 2012-11-17, 00:41   Link #630
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
In between the heptalogy main storyline of 'Sinbad and the Seven Dungeons', the episodic adventure stories in the 'Young Sinbad Chronicles', the politically focused mini-series "Sindria", and the slice-of-life comedy-drama, "The Eight Generals"...

Not to mentioned the highly-acclaimed heptalogy movie adaption of Sinbad's best-selling novel series,. the "Epics of Sinbad"...

Also known to the Eight Generals as 'Sinbad's Highly Exaggerated Retellings, mostly untrue, skipping out the shit we had to deal with. We hate how it pays our wages."

There's so many stories to choose from.

At least we're getting like 1% of it. >.>
Ohtaka-sensei can build a whole new series with just Sinbad and if that happen, I think it may become more famous than Magi ( Like what happened with Index/Railgun )
hawkeyesvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-17, 01:21   Link #631
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyesvn View Post
Ohtaka-sensei can build a whole new series with just Sinbad and if that happen, I think it may become more famous than Magi ( Like what happened with Index/Railgun )
Sidestory about Dracon myself, especially on how he became Sinbad's most trusted poké, err, guardian.
Old 2012-11-17, 08:47   Link #632
Rainrir
Tin Can

Not sure if a long sidestory about Sinbad would be very interesting, I mean dude is too "winning" to really make his story very exciting. I think for Sinbad, where he is going is probably more interesting than where he came from...

The only thing that is a complete mystery is why he doesn't want to get married (which he said so himself). However, I am almost 99% sure that it has something to do with Al Sarmen (with the 1% being that he is actually....into guys only) and it will be revelaed in the main story. The rough contours of how 4 of the 8 generals (Yamu, Shakky, Mursur and Jaffar) met with Sinbad is already know.

I am not sure if the story of how he met the two big guys, Spartos and Piti can spun into a long, engaging tale. As short side stories...yeah...but as a full-fledged spinoff...not so much. Plus, I have a feeling we might get a arc somewhere down the road which involves Heliophant (that's Shakky's homeland's name right?). Just a feeling...
Old 2012-11-17, 09:26   Link #633
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainrir View Post
Not sure if a long sidestory about Sinbad would be very interesting, I mean dude is too "winning" to really make his story very exciting. I think for Sinbad, where he is going is probably more interesting than where he came from...
It's not that I disagree with your point entirely, but Sinbad wasn't always the mega-winner superstar king extravagant he is now...

Quote:
The only thing that is a complete mystery is why he doesn't want to get married (which he said so himself). However, I am almost 99% sure that it has something to do with Al Sarmen (with the 1% being that he is actually....into guys only) and it will be revelaed in the main story. The rough contours of how 4 of the 8 generals (Yamu, Shakky, Mursur and Jaffar) met with Sinbad is already know.
You say rough contours, but it's more like bullet points.

I mean, literally, all we know of the four you named are :

1. Ja'far : Sinbad saving him from a life of a child assassin.
2. Masrur : Sinbad meeting him as a child gladiator in Laem, presumably liberating him.
3. Yamu : Sinbad extracting Yamuraiha from Magnoshtat, who presumably could no longer tolerate the racism.
4. Sharrkan : lol dunno. Just that Sinbad helped him.

Magi is not about the Tales of Young Sinbad, so honestly, the past and backstory of the Eight Generals aren't necessary at this point of time, but in a separate context, it would be nice to see some of those teasers develop into something more than just our imagination...

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2012-11-17, 09:48   Link #634
Rainrir
Tin Can

Quote:
It's not that I disagree with your point entirely, but Sinbad wasn't always the mega-winner superstar king extravagant he is now...
On the contuary, I think Sinbad always had that "winning"personality and charisma, which is why he can attract so many talented followers to him. Not to mention that hë probably used his "swag" (aka charisma) to break the mental conditioning chibi-assassin Jaffar and chibi-gladiator-slave Mursur probably had (look of despair and all that) and made them his bit....loyal followers. In the sense, he probably didn't start out like say... a low-CHA person like Alibaba who only recently start to gain his swag.

Quote:
You say rough contours, but it's more like bullet points.

I mean, literally, all we know of the four you named are :

1. Ja'far : Sinbad saving him from a life of a child assassin.
2. Masrur : Sinbad meeting him as a child gladiator in Laem, presumably liberating him.
3. Yamu : Sinbad extracting Yamuraiha from Magnoshtat, who presumably could no longer tolerate the racism.
4. Sharrkan : lol dunno. Just that Sinbad helped him.

Magi is not about the Tales of Young Sinbad, so honestly, the past and backstory of the Eight Generals aren't necessary at this point of time, but in a separate context, it would be nice to see some of those teasers develop into something more than just our imagination...
Jaffar was a child assassin and Masrur was a gladiator slave, Sinbad liberated them and changed their outlook with his Swag! Probably wouldn't be much more complicated than that, unless Jaffar has some kind of link to Al Sarmen.

Yamu is probably as you said, and I think the current arc probably will give us more insight to that (since we have the man who basically raised her here). We already knew what chibi-Yamu was kind of like...

As for Shakky. I tend to believe that the recent chapters also hint towards the fact that Shakky probably was royalty in Heliophant and was involved in that disease-royal-power-struggle-thing Sphintus' ancestors got involved it. I am pretty sure about that as a chibi-Shakky shown when Sphintus recounted that tale.

This is not really completely out far out since Sinbad already said that his nation takes in those with nowhere to go, nothing says "nowhere to go" like "exiled royalty".
Old 2012-11-17, 09:57   Link #635
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Greatest draw in a Sinbad story would be how his Rukh got blackened...which would give more insight into whether he's really corrupted or not
Old 2012-11-17, 10:03   Link #636
Rainrir
Tin Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Greatest draw in a Sinbad story would be how his Rukh got blackened...which would give more insight into whether he's really corrupted or not
I personally think that is too important to really put in a side story and most likely would be shown in the main story.
Old 2012-11-17, 10:23   Link #637
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
On the contuary, I think Sinbad always had that "winning"personality and charisma, which is why he can attract so many talented followers to him. Not to mention that hë probably used his "swag" (aka charisma) to break the mental conditioning chibi-assassin Jaffar and chibi-gladiator-slave Mursur probably had (look of despair and all that) and made them his bit....loyal followers. In the sense, he probably didn't start out like say... a low-CHA person like Alibaba who only recently start to gain his swag.
Oh, I have no doubt Sinbad was a confident, charismatic and extremely able, even as a youth... and to use the term, "alpha male."

However, just because his character development differs from Alibaba's doesn't mean that he doesn't have his own pivotal character development points in his youth worth exploring. Personally, I think the points of Sinbad's life where he decides to be a king of his own nation would be rather interesting.

Well, I guess it's always possible for it to be as simple as "Well, no one wants these islands with giant sea monsters roaming around it.... and I made promises to some refugees of various nations I travelled, so I'll just bring them there and be a king.""

Old 2012-11-17, 10:33   Link #638
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:

Jaffar was a child assassin and Masrur was a gladiator slave, Sinbad liberated them and changed their outlook with his Swag! Probably wouldn't be much more complicated than that, unless Jaffar has some kind of link to Al Sarmen.

Yamu is probably as you said, and I think the current arc probably will give us more insight to that (since we have the man who basically raised her here). We already knew what chibi-Yamu was kind of like...

As for Shakky. I tend to believe that the recent chapters also hint towards the fact that Shakky probably was royalty in Heliophant and was involved in that disease-royal-power-struggle-thing Sphintus' ancestors got involved it. I am pretty sure about that as a chibi-Shakky shown when Sphintus recounted that tale.

This is not really completely out far out since Sinbad already said that his nation takes in those with nowhere to go, nothing says "nowhere to go" like "exiled royalty".

I don't see how any of that would make Sindbad's story boring, but meh, opinions.
I can dig Clark Kent's story just as much as Peter Parker's.
Old 2012-11-17, 10:36   Link #639
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
I personally think that is too important to really put in a side story and most likely would be shown in the main story.
True....but there could be hints. Like, a foreshadowing of some sort
Old 2012-11-17, 20:20   Link #640
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Sunday morning already and I'm still lying on my bed, waiting for a new Magi chapter...Feel like a drug addicted now....Seriously, I need my weekly Magi dose!!!!
hawkeyesvn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, licensed, manga, shounen