AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-10-17, 18:13   Link #2561
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghanw View Post
Usually reading the LN first is better due to the detail, but animes are always good in its own way, either way is fine but LN first is better. So vol 11 is coming out in December, cant wait.
Well SAO: Progressive is already out, I think. I wish someone would translate them sooon....

Last edited by ronelm2000; 2012-10-18 at 10:41.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 18:23   Link #2562
sky black swordman

I am fine with just know if they changed things.

And IMO it maybe better to watch the anime first then read LN's .
Old 2012-10-17, 18:52   Link #2563
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

To me the anime and Light Novels are complimentary.

The LN's allow you to peer into the characters inner thoughts, while the anime allows you to immerse yourself to what the characters are experiencing at that moment.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-17, 22:49   Link #2564
Znail

The advantage with watching the anime first and then reading the novel is that then you wont get upset with what is left out of the adaptation.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 02:45   Link #2565
Divini
Senpai!

On the flip side, people that read and enjoyed the source material tend to enjoy the anime adaptations more. You might complain about the adaptation of certain things, but you're more likely to stick with it to the end.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 04:22   Link #2566
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

My thing is, since I'm not as well connected as other people when it comes to source material for anime adaptions, I usually don't find out about the manga or novels until the adaption comes out. So, if SAO was never adapted I probably wouldn't even know about the novels.
Old 2012-10-18, 19:43   Link #2567
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Sword Art Online Progressive Vol. 1 sells nearly 150,000 copies in its first week.
http://news.nicovideo.jp/watch/nw402987

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 20:09   Link #2568
Darkonus

Still don't understand why don't these book publishers in Japan put out copy's in English too. Especially for SAO it has a large following in NA too, you think they would want to release a version for us too.
Darkonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 20:15   Link #2569
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkonus View Post
Still don't understand why don't these book publishers in Japan put out copy's in English too. Especially for SAO it has a large following in NA too, you think they would want to release a version for us too.
I think light novels in the west is still a niche market. If the novel adaptations are popular, they tend to release an English version. Of course, there's a lot of people like me that didn't know about SAO until the anime came out. That's my opinion anyway.
Old 2012-10-18, 23:06   Link #2570
Ghanw
(-_-)

So far the LN in english is not a very popular type of book yet but it is slowly gaining audiences.
Ghanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 23:35   Link #2571
Vmem

Quick question, what differentiates an LN from a regular novel? is it the occasional illustration (manga style), or the length?

If it's just the length, worst case can't they just combine say volume 1 and 2 together? I certainly find the story of the SAO LNs rich enough compared to regular novels you might pick up from a store. hell, it's much better than some of the crappier stuff out there

Last edited by Vmem; 2012-10-19 at 00:04. Reason: horrifying spelling, I need sleep
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 23:47   Link #2572
Divini
Senpai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmem View Post
Quick question, what differentiates an LN from a regular novel? is it the occasional illustration (manga style), or the length?

If it's just the length, worse case can't they just combine say volume 1 and 2 together? I certainly find the story of the SAO LNs rich enough compared to regular novels you might pick up from a story. hell, it's much better than some of the crappier stuff out there
"Light" refers to the text. LN's uses simpler, easy to read, everyday kanji. This is opposed to "Hard" novels, which uses older words, more obscure, and harder kanji.

It has nothing to do with its length or 'manga-style'. It just so happens that most anime/manga style stories are LNs. (since its targeted at younger audiences)
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 00:03   Link #2573
Vmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
"Light" refers to the text. LN's uses simpler, easy to read, everyday kanji. This is opposed to "Hard" novels, which uses older words, more obscure, and harder kanji.

It has nothing to do with its length or 'manga-style'. It just so happens that most anime/manga style stories are LNs. (since its targeted at younger audiences)
so essentially, whether SAO becomes a "light" novel or just a regular novel in English would depend entirely on word choice and writing style of the translating team/company? Well, I'm fine with what's on Baka-tsuki, which I guess would be targeted toward a young-adult audience like in japan

also, I guess that makes LNs a good step to reach in learning Japanese before the advanced stuff hehe
Vmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 03:58   Link #2574
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmem View Post
so essentially, whether SAO becomes a "light" novel or just a regular novel in English would depend entirely on word choice and writing style of the translating team/company?
SAO will be considered a Light Novel in English regardless of anything because it's by a Light Novel Publication in the first place, which in this case is Dengeki Bunko -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkonus View Post
The thing about English readers... If they want to read, they'll pick up a proper novel; if they want to see pictures, they'll get a manga. There's very little market for Light Novels and that is the common stance I keep hearing on it.

You'll have better luck getting it translated in Chinese, Korean, Spanish, French etc. before you'll see it in English.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 04:10   Link #2575
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ

Yay, Got my SAO progressive today, the book is huge, 500+ page

Spoiler for Content:

Quote:
also, I guess that makes LNs a good step to reach in learning Japanese before the advanced stuff hehe
When your japanese is good enough for LN, you can probably can live in Japan without problem, some LN aren't light to begin with, both in weight and skill need to read it.
hayate-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 04:16   Link #2576
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayate-sama View Post
Yay, Got my SAO progressive today, the book is huge, 500+ page

Gonna be awhile before the translations will be out eh? lol
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 04:42   Link #2577
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post

Gonna be awhile before the translations will be out eh? lol
You can consider it half translated since it include Aria of the starless night which is 1/3 of the book

Last edited by hayate-sama; 2012-10-19 at 06:03.
Old 2012-10-19, 06:03   Link #2578
kyp275
Meh

is there any changes? or is it just a copy-pasta job?
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 06:23   Link #2579
hayate-sama
お姉さま、君はどこ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
is there any changes? or is it just a copy-pasta job?
God, I cannot go through the book yet both with time and skill but Aria has already been released in the Dengekibunko magazine so it probably don't have many changes, rondo on the other hand is not sure .
Old 2012-10-19, 19:40   Link #2580
cyoti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Can you elaborate? As far as I know Alicization ends with
Spoiler for spoilers:

Most of what happens in UW has to be erased from their memories so that shouldn't be a problem either way.
Wait what?

Spoiler for spoilers:
cyoti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality