AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-03, 19:03   Link #2001
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Considering that the cousins "use swimsuits" while going to the beach, not in the days covered by the novel because of the typhoon, but the climate in rokkenjima must be pretty nice, sans storms; it's not weird for someone to be wearing a swimsuit while on a pleasure trip on the sea.
When do they use swimsuits? In the summer or in October? I honestly don't remember, that's why I am asking if the climate of Rokkenjima allows you to swim in the autumn without getting all shivery and cold and in a typhoon especially, quite dead.

Old 2010-01-03, 21:33   Link #2002
Kazuki_Kun

According to the real Izu Islands, Oshima Machi, a small collection of villages on a part of the Izu Islands temperature in October is as follows:

Max: Avg: Min:
Temperature:
Max Temperature 26 °C 21 °C 16 °C
Mean Temperature 24 °C 18 °C 14 °C
Min Temperature 21 °C 15 °C 11 °C

Found here http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism...Vacations.html

It doesn't seem very much out of the question.
Old 2010-01-04, 18:13   Link #2003
Arcanis
Sticky Fingers

Send a message via MSN to Arcanis
Hey I have a silly question, where did the character design for Siesta 556 that is all over the place in fanarts come from?

I was sure she was going to show up in EP5 but after I finished it I didn't see her anywhere and I'm all confused now...
Old 2010-01-04, 18:17   Link #2004
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanis View Post
Hey I have a silly question, where did the character design for Siesta 556 that is all over the place in fanarts come from?

I was sure she was going to show up in EP5 but after I finished it I didn't see her anywhere and I'm all confused now...
She appears in the TIPS of the game. After EP4, if you keep shuffling through the Siestas you'll eventually reach a black and white "torn up" Siesta, resurrect her and you see Siesta 556 alive and fully colored. :3

Old 2010-01-04, 18:46   Link #2005
TanabeTakashi

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but.... i have a pair of questions...

Why does the Knox's 5th is not mentioned? I know it says that 'No Chinaman must figure in the story", but what I wanna know is if 'chinaman' has another meaning apart from 'an asian'. If it doesn't have another meaning, why does Knox create this commandment? Does it have any sense?

The other question I had was if Battler's last blue theory was really ok. He said that he was the child from 19 years ago and the culprit, but Virgilia said in red that he was not the culprit in any of the games.

Sry if I have a lot of grammar mistakes while writing, I'm actually latinoamerican.

Thx.
Old 2010-01-04, 18:52   Link #2006
Arcanis
Sticky Fingers

Send a message via MSN to Arcanis
Wow I never knew that I just checked it haha.

That's awesome, thanks.
Old 2010-01-04, 19:55   Link #2007
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanabeTakashi View Post
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but.... i have a pair of questions...

Why does the Knox's 5th is not mentioned? I know it says that 'No Chinaman must figure in the story", but what I wanna know is if 'chinaman' has another meaning apart from 'an asian'. If it doesn't have another meaning, why does Knox create this commandment? Does it have any sense?

The other question I had was if Battler's last blue theory was really ok. He said that he was the child from 19 years ago and the culprit, but Virgilia said in red that he was not the culprit in any of the games.

Sry if I have a lot of grammar mistakes while writing, I'm actually latinoamerican.

Thx.
about knox, it has been discussed that the way it would apply to umineko is by saying "the witch can't be the culprit", thus pretty much making the game meaningless.

the theory was ok, since virgilia's red text only applyes to the previous games.

this Episode should make perfectly clear what's the meaning of blue text, btw-.
Old 2010-01-04, 20:01   Link #2008
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanabeTakashi View Post
Knox's 5th is discluded from Umineko most likely because "chinaman" is an incredibly offensive racial slur to Asian people.

Since the Japanese are an Asian race (and Ryukishi is a Japanese fellow obviously), it was probably for the best to remove it.

Just a guess but I think Knox's 5th means no Asian's can take a figurehead role in the story, so Knox's 5th is probably already broken as well since most of the characters in Umineko are from Japanese decent.
Old 2010-01-04, 20:23   Link #2009
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Someone (I don't remember who, sorry) linked this a while ago, and I think it pretty much sums up the deal behind Knox's 5th: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YellowPeril
Old 2010-01-04, 20:57   Link #2010
June 1983

Yeah, I think the reasoning behind Knox's Fifth is because there was a theme in some mystery stories of the 19th century/early 20th century of the culprit being an Asian "foreigner", which Knox felt was a copout.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu_Manchu
Old 2010-01-05, 17:16   Link #2011
Iskatar
The Sanctuary Knocker

Huh... Playing through the game, I noticed something. Isn't Knox's third "Not more than one secret room or passage is allowable." and not "It is forbidden for hidden passages to exist?" A mistake on Ryu's part or a clever ploy by Bernkastel to make Battler believe in a lie?
Old 2010-01-05, 17:21   Link #2012
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskatar View Post
Huh... Playing through the game, I noticed something. Isn't Knox's third "Not more than one secret room or passage is allowable." and not "It is forbidden for hidden passages to exist?"
Umineko modified some of the rules so that they'd apply better to this particular game. Lambda even brings this up when mentioning that Knox 7 originally had an exception clause.
Old 2010-01-05, 17:21   Link #2013
DarknessLord

Indeed, I read that it was not intended as a racist thing but rather removing the "evil foreigner is always the culprit!" thing.

I think the real big change is that in all the classical Knox rules I read, it is basically "Not more then one secret passage is permissible." Yet Umineko's Knox rules just deny them outright.

The other one being a part of rule one that was taken out "The criminal must be someone mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to follow." That seems important, but I'm not quite sure why.
Old 2010-01-05, 17:23   Link #2014
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessLord View Post
The other one being a part of rule one that was taken out "The criminal must be someone mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to follow." That seems important, but I'm not quite sure why.
It's because we've been allowed to follow the thoughts of practically every member of the cast at this point.
Old 2010-01-05, 17:26   Link #2015
DarknessLord

Yeah, that's what I figured, but, I'm tempted to go back and check to see whose (if anyone's) that we don't, or at least are spared the first person narration from.

Eh, I'll add it to my to-do list for when I re-read them.
Old 2010-01-05, 17:54   Link #2016
Geekodot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessLord View Post
Indeed, I read that it was not intended as a racist thing but rather removing the "evil foreigner is always the culprit!" thing.

I think the real big change is that in all the classical Knox rules I read, it is basically "Not more then one secret passage is permissible." Yet Umineko's Knox rules just deny them outright.

Umineko outright denies secret passages, but a secret passage must exist to take people between Kuwadorian and the main mansion right? And if not, then there must be a secret passage leading to the gold. At least one secret passage is present in umineko as far as I can see.
Old 2010-01-05, 18:07   Link #2017
Iskatar
The Sanctuary Knocker

I think Umineko outright denied secret passages in that closed room case only... Wait, I think I see where you're going with this.
Old 2010-01-05, 19:06   Link #2018
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekodot View Post
Umineko outright denies secret passages, but a secret passage must exist to take people between Kuwadorian and the main mansion right? And if not, then there must be a secret passage leading to the gold. At least one secret passage is present in umineko as far as I can see.
They define a secret passage as "a passage the detective cannot find".

So yes, there is an underground passage between the mansion and Kuwadorian, but it's not a secret underground passage.
Old 2010-01-05, 21:13   Link #2019
TeeHee
I know we have bread!

I need someone to review my thought process to show me if I'm missing anything. There are a total of NINE question that I tried to answer myself.

Feel free to respond with:
1) More questions,
2) More answers/insights to my questions, and
3) Rebuttals to my analysis. I'd hate to think I'm right when I'm totally off.
Spoiler for Seriously, read this.:

Last edited by TeeHee; 2010-01-06 at 01:15. Reason: Fixed answer for #3 & #5.
Old 2010-01-05, 22:02   Link #2020
maximilianjenus
[E]

ha, yeah; while I disagree with beatrice shannon being a real culprit and more of an onlooker and I think kanon is the culprit I agree with most of you reasoning.

I will have to double check the red text, but your pink text brings back the theory that there is more that one kinzo ring.
Closed Thread