AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-03, 01:35   Link #961
Zantetsuken

meh. i guess i've got no talent in guessing hints...
Old 2009-01-03, 04:05   Link #962
relentlessflame

*Administrator

So, I received my copy of the Blu-Ray disc the other day, and it's probably a bit of a non-story now (because I see that there are "sources"), but I just want to say that this show really looks incredible on Blu-Ray. Bright, rich, vibrant, detailed, crisp, and (from what I could see) artifact-free. Of course, what I like best is that I can just pop it in my PS3 and play it without fuss -- yay for being in the same region! I guess the only thing that would have been neat would be if they had done this show in 5.1 -- even though it's a dialog heavy show so arguably doesn't really need it, I think the staff of this show could have done something interesting with the soundscape if given the chance. Of course, it also would have been nice if they could have added English subtitles, but I never have my hopes up for that sort of thing.

Anyway, the first disc includes the first two episodes along with the non-credit OP and first ED. It also comes in a box to house all 6 discs, and all the same extras that came with ef - memories (full-colour booklet, illustration card, calendar pages, etc.) Speaking of memories, I ordered the Blu-Ray box for that too -- I'm looking forward to watching the whole thing again "the way it was meant to be seen". For anyone out there with a Blu-Ray player and some Christmas money to spare, I highly recommend it. (Of course, given the prices, and with the amount of shows being released and re-released on Blu-Ray increasing every month, you've sort of got to prioritize!)
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 06:26   Link #963
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I was hoping the blu-ray discs would be in 5.1 --- shame they're not.

I'm planning on ordering the memories set in blu-ray. Hopefully i can do the same with ef2 in the future. I'm guessing we'll see a set release eventually.
Old 2009-01-04, 03:27   Link #964
Zantetsuken

This question probably should go in the memories board, but as that board is kinda dead i decide to post my finding here.

In the memory prologue, Yuu was playing the violin. Did he play a violin in the game, or is it said he can play it? Because I don't remember seeing any of it in the actual anime or in Melodies

Last edited by Zantetsuken; 2009-01-04 at 04:59.
Zantetsuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 05:01   Link #965
Snooker
Call me neet.

A beautiful wallpaper.

Snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 05:36   Link #966
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
I saw the last two episodes yesterday. I must say, when taking memories also into consideration, that this adaption had some awkward pacing because the second season was not planned in advance. First season handled 3/4ths of the game material, plunging Kei's relationship in the abyss. On the other hand the weakest (from what I hear) game arc was just complementing the over-reaching Yuuko/Yu story. So there was significantly less material to work with in the second season, which I guess is the source of the pacing problems.

Though still I found the series very good, despite its problems, visuals (the static since animation was non-existent) and music were excellent, I loved the Amamiya family arc and despite the problems I had with Yuu and Kuze, still their portrayal was done better then 99% of the shows you get (anime and live). Not to mention that emotionally harrowing experience of episodes 6-10, just excellent work there.

Though I still would like more work on Kei, Nagi and Kuze, despite having half a season to develop, most of it was lost in my opinion. Not all though, still I loved Nagi's realization for her love of Yuu, as well as Mizuki/Kuze "challenge".

So 4/5, with the first season getting a 5/5.

By the way, can someone explain to me (with less than 50 words, please) the significance of the two cities? What was the point there, except from some characters spending fortunes in plane tickets

And a couple of questions to those that have played the game:
1) Is there more depth given to Nagi?
2) Kuze and Sumire are involved in a non-trivial relationship?
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 06:39   Link #967
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
In the memory prologue, Yuu was playing the violin. Did he play a violin in the game, or is it said he can play it? Because I don't remember seeing any of it in the actual anime or in Melodies
Don't believe he can play the violin --- it's the same with Yuuko playing the piano. Take it as an advertisement for the series, and not something to do with the plot because that's what it is.
Old 2009-01-04, 17:33   Link #968
achirist

Can anyone who watched the visual novel tell me exactly why Chihiro was living with Yuu, and Kei seemed to be living alone? What happened to their parents (or grandparents? - there seemed to be some confusion between the different fansubs?) Are they dead?
achirist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-09, 15:57   Link #969
FuzzyWuzzy

K I've been watching this anime. I've waited 1 season and let it finish before I started watching it since I hate waiting 1 week when I'm very interested in the story. I've only seen the first 4 episodes. I have to say my opinion about it already.

I love the way they depicted Kuze. I think that's his name. The violin guy. Two thumbs up.
They were showing him as a metronome or a walking clock. It fits with the whole terminal illness thing he has. He is struggling with time.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-09, 16:03   Link #970
Solafighter
Hige

From my point of view, the second season is like the first season. A masterpiece. Nothing more to add.

And the music... Tenmon RULZ!
Old 2009-01-12, 11:07   Link #971
animekritik

Maybe you consider the second season a masterpiece because you've got the first season in your eyes. I liked both, but the first season is still the best,.,
Old 2009-01-16, 00:01   Link #972
jorez
but the kid is not my son

Send a message via MSN to jorez
... angels do exist.

I have no complains... this anime was really good at every point... even if the Yuuko-dies scene wasn't the best one... 8/10.

Always delivering, SHAFT.

jorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 05:24   Link #973
Nalio

Send a message via AIM to Nalio
Production wise this series as a whole is just amazing. Storyline though, halfway through melodies I realized the story just was not hooking me the same way memories did. I guess I should have went in with different expectations, but too late for that now. Still, definitely not bad . Very depressing though XD I can never find those "Warm and fuzzy" feelings your supposed to have at the end of an anime that ends the way melodies did. Wish I could, though.
Nalio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 05:49   Link #974
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'm planning on ordering the memories set in blu-ray. Hopefully i can do the same with ef2 in the future. I'm guessing we'll see a set release eventually.
Man, I need to save some money because that set has been tempting me, but it's also a tad bit expensive (although it's most likely worth every penny spent). This show at true HD resolution would most likely look downright gorgeous.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 06:20   Link #975
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Man, I need to save some money because that set has been tempting me, but it's also a tad bit expensive (although it's most likely worth every penny spent). This show at true HD resolution would most likely look downright gorgeous.
I had a little sneak look at the first episode of memories on blu-ray the other week, and yes, definitely worth it. This show was made for blu-ray quality.
Old 2009-02-11, 08:57   Link #976
Nosauz

I'd definitely drop some cash on memories, but i just felt melodies was a little underwhelming when it came to OMFG moments, because I distinctively remember as memories ramped up toward the end that I was in a constant state of disbelief, and each episode brought something amazing. It's probably because I didn't really like yuu to begin with but overall melodies was well done, but the story and the impact the charcters just didn't seem to have the same effect on me. To me atleast the first season was a masterpiece, the second eh not so much but still good.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 11:31   Link #977
retracnosna

I really liked tale of memories

but melodies sucked. Didn't like a single character. Especially yuuko. I can understand she's traumatized or whatever but she got together with the guy she supposedly loved, he comes home late ONE night and she goes back with the rapist? because he has a big house I guess? wth?
she's an actual prostitute. Felt no sympathy for her at all
retracnosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 17:32   Link #978
Myname

I'm confused, are ALL the characters in the same city?

I was sure that both Hiro and Renji went to the same school (same uniform and the whole key to the rooftop thing plus I think they have the same name) and Mizuki is Hiro's kouhai so she must live in the same city as Hiro but then the first episode of melodies says that Mizuki went overseas to where Renji lives (and this happens after Renji and Chihiro get together).

Or does it just so happen that there's an identical town in Australia and Japan?
Myname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 18:38   Link #979
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myname View Post
Or does it just so happen that there's an identical town in Australia and Japan?
This. Hiro is in Japan, Renji is in Australia.
Old 2009-02-25, 20:26   Link #980
animekritik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myname View Post
I'm confused, are ALL the characters in the same city?

I was sure that both Hiro and Renji went to the same school (same uniform and the whole key to the rooftop thing plus I think they have the same name) and Mizuki is Hiro's kouhai so she must live in the same city as Hiro but then the first episode of melodies says that Mizuki went overseas to where Renji lives (and this happens after Renji and Chihiro get together).

The original Otowa is in Japan. But at one point Yu Himura, as an architect, travels to Australia and builds a new Otowa copied off of the first. Renji is in Australia, so is Chihiro. Chihiro's sister and Mizuki live in the Japanese Otowa, yes. Then Mizuki goes to Australia. In the original game it's meant to be confusing and then it suddenly dawns on you that this is what's happening..

Tags
drama, romance, shaft