AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-01-02, 12:56   Link #1
FireChick

Nickelodeon

I couldn't find a topic on this, so I felt like starting one. Does anyone watch this channel? When I was little, I used to watch shows like Hey! Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life, Danny Phantom, a bit of Fairly Oddparents, etc. Since it doesn't have many cartoons anymore, my current favorites on there are Avatar The Last Airbender, iCarly, Drake & Josh, and Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide.

Now...for some strange reason, Nickelodeon is having a sudden outburst of new shows coming up, beginning with House of Anubis, which I saw the first episode of this morning (DVRed it) and...wonder of wonders! It's actually GOOD! It's actually NOT a freaking sitcom for once! While watching it, I saw a preview of another show called Supah Ninjas (No. Really. This is it's actual title) along with...A SAMURAI VERSION OF POWER RANGERS?!? WHAAAAAAAT?!? WHERE DID THAT COME FROM!?

Anyway...if this isn't against the rules, discuss Nickelodeon here!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 13:09   Link #2
Lost Cause

Count me in! Me and my kids watch Avatar The Last Airbender! And I might check out Supah Ninjas, just as long as it's NOT another Power Rangers! Thats been done to death!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 13:10   Link #3
Asuras
Dictadere~!

IMO. Cartoon's have all gone downhill since I was a kid.
Old 2011-01-02, 13:36   Link #4
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
IMO. Cartoon's have all gone downhill since I was a kid.
for the most part, I agree, though there are some gems out there though (but not the truly outrageous ones )

though give me Nick Arcade, Wild n' Crazy Kids, Secret World of Alex Mack, first few seasons of All That and the original cast of Are You Afraid of the Dark over most of the non cartoon-stuff they have airing today.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 13:40   Link #5
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Cartoon Network is dead to me. It is now filled with cartoons for the stoned.

Nickelodeon is okay, but its cartoons just aren't funny anymore. I mean, early Spongebob? That stuff was awesome, now he's just a annoying piece of funny-less nonsense. And a lot of yelling.

Fairly Odd Parents was good, but they dragged it on. A baby? Really? REALLY?!

Jimmy Neutron was great, but Planet Sheen? Wtf.
Old 2011-01-02, 13:50   Link #6
james0246

There's been lots of great shows on Nick over the years, and I can't wait for the Avatar sequel coming out later fall 2011-early 2012. Here's a special shout-out for two of their recent live-action shows (though one has been on the air for several years): iCarly is a fun irreverent comedy, and VicTorious is a cute high school comedy. I haven't seen many episodes of either show, but what I have seen was fun and funny.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 15:19   Link #7
Tsuyukusa
King of Carrot Flowers

I haven't watched Nick in years. I used to love shows like Rocko's Modern Life, Catdog, Doug and Hey Arnold. IMO, Nick has too many live-action shows now-a-days, most of which are subpar.
I think Cartoon Network has recently started getting better. I watched it every day as a kid, but I thought they hit a dry spell for a while. I love Adventure Time, Regular Show and Flapjack though.
Tsuyukusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 15:59   Link #8
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Spongebob Squarepants. Used to (and still kinda do) love that show and have the first 3 season DVD sets.~

Most of the 4th season was good and the movie as well, but I think around the 5th season is when the show's quality started to slip.

Fairly Oddparents is the only other Nick show I can think of that I watched on a regular basis. I'm sure there's more but they don't come to mind right now.
Old 2011-01-02, 18:05   Link #9
FireChick

Quote:
iCarly is a fun irreverent comedy, and VicTorious is a cute high school comedy. I haven't seen many episodes of either show, but what I have seen was fun and funny.
iCarly has its totally awesome episodes (iPsycho and iStart a Fan War), but...whatever you do, DON'T WATCH THE EPISODES iFix a Pop Star and iWon't Cancel The Show! Those are the worst episodes iCarly has to date. iSam's Mom is just...beyond bizarre.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 19:03   Link #10
qwertyuiopz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
iCarly, Drake & Josh

i feel so blessed to be born in the 90s as kids nowadays have nothing to watch
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 19:09   Link #11
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post
i feel so blessed to be born in the 90s as kids nowadays have nothing to watch
Amen! Today's programming is absolute garbage compared to what was on in the 90s and early '00s. At least there's Boomerang.

With that said, I love Avatar: The Last Airbender and am really looking forward to the sequel series.
Old 2011-01-02, 20:23   Link #12
Nadeko_Sengoku
Evil Vampire

The only Nickelodeon I watch anymore is Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide and some stuff on NickToons, which is basically the boomerang of Nickelodeon, like Invader Zim and Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Old 2011-01-02, 22:00   Link #13
Tsuyukusa
King of Carrot Flowers

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Invader Zim. That was a great show, I have the last season on DVD.
Tsuyukusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-02, 22:01   Link #14
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Me and my bro still watch Invader Zim like we worship it.
Old 2011-01-02, 22:48   Link #15
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

There only been 1 great show here and that Ren & Stimpy but Rocko Modern Life was all so great
Old 2011-01-04, 13:38   Link #16
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Well, back in the days, Nick and CN was very good with cartoons, like Nick was about Rocko, Zim, Slime Time, Animorphs, All that and two of the most underrated shows at that time (Salute your Shorts and Hey Dude).
Old 2011-01-04, 15:01   Link #17
Ballad
robots & skateboards

The only Nick show I watch now is Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide. Hilarious show.
Ballad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 17:34   Link #18
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Nickelodeon sorta died for me... It was the greatest for me during 1998-2006, but it eventually went down, and I found myself not liking the shows they are putting on now.. The shows they make now make me for once *face-palm*
Old 2011-01-04, 17:54   Link #19
Samari
World's Greatest

Nickelodeon is terrible now. In the 90's it was great with Rugrats, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Mordern Life, Doug, and SNICK. Now it's just awful. I haven't watched that channel in like seven years. Same with Cartoon Network. Great in the 90's to the mid 2000's, terrible now.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 18:01   Link #20
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballad View Post
The only Nick show I watch now is Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide. Hilarious show.
Yeah, that's my favorite of their live action shows too. Really funny, and the jokes often coming from the colorful cast of side characters. Although the black guy can get a bit annoying sometimes, the other two leads have really great chemistry with each other (I think I've heard that they used to date in real life...might explain why). One of the best depiction of Osana Najimi in western media, it's more realistic that they're not hung up on each other, dating other people, but it really shows how they still cares deeply with each other, whether as best friend or romantic potential. Some of the tips can be really helpful, too.

Compared to that...I'm more of the early 00's viewer, and nowadays the series aren't really as good. There's Avatar, of course, but aside from that, the cartoons has been rather underwhelming. Things like Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents used to be hilarious, but they clearly has ran out of ideas and are just milking the cash cow now. They should have let it finish when it should like Danny Phantom.

The live-action shows as well - I think they're mostly a vehicle for the actress' singing career now, as well as wish-fulfillment shows for the target audience. They can still be funny, yes, but mostly I find the jokes too predictable. Well, I suppose for the target audience maybe it's still funny, but personally I watch those just to see the eye candy of the girls (hey, I'm not even 20 yet, it's not that creepy)