AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 211 60.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 14.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 6.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 5.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 19 5.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 0.86%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.86%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.58%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 0.86%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 4.03%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-12, 13:27   Link #21
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

(I watched this episode raw. Life's good when you can have your cake raw)

This ending arguably is stronger than the visual novel's ending. Kyoani actually filled the gap of 'what happened with everyone else' by including those brief clips featuring all the cast involved in the story. I think this end was fulfilling of what's expected for Kyoani given the material that it has to work with overall. I come out thinking that the cast of CLANNAD do not merely disappear, and that they will contineously impact each other in their lives, which is quite a good omen.

The hidden star of the show, the town itself, made such an impression during this episode should make it clear to the audience that CLANNAD fundamentally is about the people and the town that they live in. Everything do change with time, yet while yearning for new things, those closest to you should be old. I think it is this core message that makes the show transcend from any romance drama into something much more broad than most of the genre.

The bit about the world that has ended, the robot, the girl, Tomoya and Nagisa over the foot of that hill tied up without fail. There is too little time for one to soak in the sentimentality of having it all thrown together, and I think it will take more than one viewing for all of that to get digested. Nevertheless, it's nice to see Tomoya not regretting the choice of going down the path of life with Nagisa as the two reaffirm themselves for posterity.

I think CLANNAD has successfully argued its case that the true end is something that the audience actually want to see by the end, despite how one might feel regarding the relationship path chosen. I think that the scene with Tomoya, Nagisa and Ushio going on that train ride sums up the aspirations of even the audience regarding expected outcome fairly well.

The Fuko tsukkomi with Kouko is a faithful rendition of the postscript in the visual novels. It's a much needed cool-off from the apex of the entire after story arc and I am rather happy to see this final development over the Ibukis' interaction with one another.

(I perfer the Chinese Stealth suit as opposed to T-51B, but my sentiment about runaway from all the shitstorm remain the same)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2009-03-12, 14:11   Link #22
typhonsentra

Wait, what? Really, this is it? People insisted it'd be another episode or two since they took fewer breaks this season.
Old 2009-03-12, 14:23   Link #23
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

There will be another episode or two, but this marks the end of the story proper. The other episodes will include extra stories, similar to what happened in the previous season.
Old 2009-03-12, 14:35   Link #24
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Episode 24 is an OVA again, right?

Come on Kappei Kappei Kappei Kappei.
Old 2009-03-12, 14:39   Link #25
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Let's leave the future episode speculation for another thread
Old 2009-03-12, 14:43   Link #26
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Gah, if this episode is actually as well done as everyone's been saying, I'll need to actually watch all the AS episodes I've skipped until now.
Old 2009-03-12, 14:50   Link #27
typhonsentra

I'm going to hold off on rating this episode until the subs are out but wow... no surprises here.
Old 2009-03-12, 15:08   Link #28
patient_senses

And that concludes a truly beautiful series. I think that after everything, that is a well deserved ending. Now, I have to resist the urge to rewatch the whole series again. The widescreen version needs to come out quicker.
Old 2009-03-12, 15:13   Link #29
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatrose View Post
Well, I've only seen the "11/10" rating option available once before on AS, so I think you'll have to settle for 10. ^^;

Can't wait to see the episode with my own eyes. I know (from the game) what's going to happen, but I'd like to see how they pull it off. What you just wrote made me even less patient.
The poll ratings for this forum aren't to serious or restrained so I could see them getting away with an 11/10 for the bonus episodes for kicks. Then again I could not in a thousand years picture Klash allowing such a thing so.....
Old 2009-03-12, 15:16   Link #30
SidVicious
Anime addict

Perfect episode.
Old 2009-03-12, 15:32   Link #31
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The poll ratings for this forum aren't to serious or restrained so I could see them getting away with an 11/10 for the bonus episodes for kicks. Then again I could not in a thousand years picture Klash allowing such a thing so.....
Well, the poll I linked to was a lot of fun back then, but I wouldn't want such an option here to be honest. People will vote for that option simply because it's an 11/10 option, instead of rating the episode seriously.

Anyhow, I'm way off topic. I'm trying to decide what to do - watch the raw right away or wait for subs in order to be able to fully understand all the lines? I do know what will happen, I just want to find out how they manage to pull it off in the anime. *scratches beard*
Old 2009-03-12, 15:48   Link #32
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

(;^ω^) Hah? Wakarimasen, sensei!

Etto... So basically, the glowing orbs of light and something of something from that world with the robot Tomoya and Ushio does some mocus-pocus-magical thing and changes the past and allows Nagisa to live... huh...
Only one anime needs some spirit convention to revive the heroine, thanks.

Well, putting aside the Nagisa revival (hai? what? why?), it was a good last episode... I guess. Well, it still was emotionally moving...
The minus points were:
The last part with Fuuko spent waaay too long to get to its point, the first half of the episode left me in question marks, and Mei isn't a loli anymore (Uwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
And I'm left going "Ah, you existed?" to most of the sudden character epilogues, but let's not think about that.

Hm~m... They repeated the same trick to kill off a character and just reverts everything in one episode, huh. Key quality, I understand.

-Robot's death was grotesque?! *sweatdrop*

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2009-03-12, 16:13   Link #33
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Is there a Torch Ending? I'm preparing to wipe it out with my video editor.
Old 2009-03-12, 16:21   Link #34
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Is there a Torch Ending? I'm preparing to wipe it out with my video editor.
There is, but thanks to the overall mood of the final scene, it actually fits quite nicely.
Old 2009-03-12, 16:22   Link #35
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I approve of this episode. KyoAni is being fancy again (or is that still) with their choices of lighting and how much glow/blur they give a shot. It also opens things to interpretation on what happened based on just what effect is being used for any one scene.

The ending credits have changed again (more people added).

I approve of grownup/teenage Mei. Nice figure without being overdone.

No idea where Kotomi is, but it has to be someplace they drive on the right side of the road, but have the driver seat on the right side (or she imported her own car).
Old 2009-03-12, 16:41   Link #36
laksmkk

overall the mood was excellent.
Spoiler for I cried:
. other than I was satisfied how this wonderful series ended.

Last edited by laksmkk; 2009-03-12 at 16:56.
Old 2009-03-12, 16:42   Link #37
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Who summoned Kamen Rider Odin to use his ability?
Old 2009-03-12, 17:07   Link #38
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Something tells me this is going to be another one of those reaction a chaud episode for most, but for me.....well I'll save it for when the sub comes out, but this episode essentially confirmed a theory I've had about this series throughout it's course and let's just say that it's a mixed bag for me overall. I doubt I can say anything quite so glowing about a finale like this without having to account for what I feel is a thematic failing of Clannad and Jun Maeda stories in general.
Old 2009-03-12, 17:12   Link #39
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Given your attitude about this, I would say that this amount of suspension of disbelief will fall flat on its face Kaioshin. The kind of personality portrayal in Legend of Galactic Heroes is an exception and I don't honestly expect it to ever be replicated in any way, so personally I am judging production based its intended results. In another word, take it easy~

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2009-03-12, 17:19   Link #40
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
In another word, take it easy~
+1 & Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Who summoned Kamen Rider Odin to use his ability?
I was thinking of Donnie Darko. Perform some deeds and see how it pays off in the end. Just not in a so bleak note.
Closed Thread