AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2010-05-23, 11:19   Link #1561
Ten-Go

Majiko is not involved with this new manga project =( If Ill write a protest letter to the Sunrise and then kill myself - what do you think, could it be helpful?

...Oh shi*, I forgot that every 8 minutes someone kills himself in Japan, so zero reaction from Sunrise is kinda guaranteed.
Ten-Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 13:57   Link #1562
konart

Nobody posted anything yet?

'kay than:

First color pages from new manga
Spoiler for Renya:

Photos of manga pages can be found here: 1 2 3 4 5.

List of manga characters from 2ch:
Spoiler for looong:

Something new about Akito (maybe): here

We need translation

via LJ community
Old 2010-05-24, 14:06   Link #1563
Nobodyman9
Banned

Hmm, this could be interesting. Most of the characters look to be entirely new (although I wasn't expecting a Gino clone). Of course, I'm gonna wait till the fansubs come out.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 14:11   Link #1564
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

*beats head against wall* I'd rather die then have another Gino! *smashes*

...Am I the only one that notices the latin "Let justice be done even should the world perish"?

Or am I being delusional?
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 14:21   Link #1565
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
*beats head against wall* I'd rather die then have another Gino! *smashes*

...Am I the only one that notices the latin "Let justice be done even should the world perish"?

Or am I being delusional?
I see only

Per me si va ne la città dolente,
per me si va ne l'etterno dolore,
per me si va tra la perduta gente.
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.
Dinanzi a me non fuor cose create
se non etterne, e io etterno duro.
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'entrate

- Canto III from Inferno of The Divine Comedy. We could see lines from it near the ending of the R2(or was it R1?)
Old 2010-05-24, 14:27   Link #1566
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

I saw that after looking closer. My mistake, sorry for that Konart... But at least we got more information as a result?

The divine comedy? I guess that will do for speculative material. Not going to even bother on that one though.

Now we either wait for fansubs or we wait for Eternal Dreamer.
Old 2010-05-24, 14:59   Link #1567
Kittenlady

Wasn't Lelouch reading The Devine Comedy at the beginning of R2?
Kittenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 15:44   Link #1568
Xander

Well, the art's actually pretty nice here. Better than what I expected.

And I suppose this means we could be getting a little more information about the origin / history of Geass in the manga, one way or another.

Interesting enough, the cape worn by the long-haired Lelouch (if we are assuming that's him) has a different symbol this time around.

It was originally exactly the same as the Order of the Black Knights logo, in the early preview images, but now...if this story takes place in the past, perhaps it's an older Britannian and/or Geass-related symbol which was later re-used and modified for the Black Knights?
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 16:18   Link #1569
Eternal Dreamer
Seeker of Truth and Lies

...GINOOOOOOOOOOOO????!!! Of all the characters of Code Geass, they brought back the bloody playboy?! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????????!!!!!!!

...was my first reaction to this...Moving along...

Well, seems like have started to get interesting. From my first look at some of the images on LJ community, I can't tell whether C.C. is Renya enemy or not. (She wears a similar uniform to the portrayed villains, yet there's one pic where she apparently opens a mental link with him, so I'm just flabbergasted there.) Also, anyone else seen the pic with the two-eyed Geass Lelouch (real or look-alike?) in one pic? Come on, that's GOT to mean something.

Also, I hate to ask, but can anyone elaborate more on what exactly those Latin inscribed words mean? I'm embarrassed to say this, but this is the first time I've ever heard of the "Divine Comedy" and even after looking it up a little, I still don't completely get it. Would anyone care to explain for use ignorant folk?

And I intend to translate some of the text with the color pages. (Translating manga itself has always been a bit difficult for me, with my mehtods. ) However, if possible, could someone post a better quality pic of that sideways picture of Renya and Lelouch as soon as possible? The way it is right now, I can't make out enough of it to properly translate.
Eternal Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 16:45   Link #1570
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Dreamer View Post

Also, I hate to ask, but can anyone elaborate more on what exactly those Latin inscribed words mean? I'm embarrassed to say this, but this is the first time I've ever heard of the "Divine Comedy" and even after looking it up a little, I still don't completely get it. Would anyone care to explain for use ignorant folk?
Those are Italian first of all

Translation:
Through me you pass into the city of woe:
Through me you pass into eternal pain:
Through me among the people lost for aye.
Justice the founder of my fabric moved:
To rear me was the task of Power divine,
Supremest Wisdom, and primeval Love.
Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure.
All hope abandon, ye who enter here.”

You have to read classics once in a time

And, well, those are written on a gates of Hell
Old 2010-05-24, 17:17   Link #1571
Eternal Dreamer
Seeker of Truth and Lies

It's not not I don't read any classics, it's just that I'm more interested in current works. (But I do intend to take a look at some of the more famous older works this summer though.)

Anyway, I've finished translating the color pages! (I know, fast, but there really wasn't much to translate in the first place.) First up is that cover page that shows Gino in the corner (Where he should remain, thank you very much):

Quote:
少年に忍び寄り “宿命”の足音――
The footsteps of “fate” which creep towards this boy—

「ギアス」の“序章”が 遂に開幕!!
The curtain is raised upon this “prologue” to Geass!!
Be warned, though, that this translation, as well as the next, are not my most confident works; there's some room for error here.

And now, that first color page of the new manga, with the supposedly "Gate of Hell" in the background! (Sorry if it doesn't make the best of sense; as I've said, translating manga has always been a problem for me. Partly because it's so HARD to tell when a line of text becomes one or two (or even three) sentences.)

Quote:
人は己が何者なのかを知りたがる
People want to understand what kind of person they are.

知るためには絶対的なる基準が必要だ
To know this, standards that are absolute are necessary.

基準なき判断は存在しない なら その基準は誰が作るのか
A judgement without standards does not exist. If that is the case, who decides these standards?

何によって それらは必要とされるのか
What are they necessary for?
That's all I have for now, though I recommend waiting for a proper and professional translation on the last one; it's just a rough estimate, at best.

Next I'm going to be doing the character list, which seems to be quite easy in term of translation. I should have that one out sometime tonight or tomorrow. (Though the other, better translators out there might beat me to it. )
Old 2010-05-24, 17:25   Link #1572
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
...GINOOOOOOOOOOOO????!!! Of all the characters of Code Geass, they brought back the bloody playboy?! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????????!!!!!!!

...was my first reaction to this...Moving along...

Well, seems like have started to get interesting. From my first look at some of the images on LJ community, I can't tell whether C.C. is Renya enemy or not. (She wears a similar uniform to the portrayed villains, yet there's one pic where she apparently opens a mental link with him, so I'm just flabbergasted there.) Also, anyone else seen the pic with the two-eyed Geass Lelouch (real or look-alike?) in one pic? Come on, that's GOT to mean something.

And I intend to translate some of the text with the color pages. (Translating manga itself has always been a bit difficult for me, with my mehtods. ) However, if possible, could someone post a better quality pic of that sideways picture of Renya and Lelouch as soon as possible? The way it is right now, I can't make out enough of it to properly translate.
...I didn't think his reaction would be as bad as mine. I mean seriously ED, that was off the topic "YOU SUCK!" kind of reaction. I absolutely agree though.

...The Divine Comedy was written by Dante Alighieri, who 'descended into hell to save the soul of his wife'. Yes I know, Dante, Orpheus, Izanagi. Very similar. You don't want to hear my theories

Quote:
It's not not I don't read any classics, it's just that I'm more interested in current works.
Read Gawain the Green Knight, The Epic Saga, Ulster Cycle, and the Lancelot-Holy Grail cycle. They are all worth a read. All classic (...mythology. I excel in mythology.)

... "A judgement without standards does not exist. If that is the case, who decides these standards?" Sounds like the speaker is atheistic.
Old 2010-05-24, 17:33   Link #1573
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

am I the only who likes Gino here too and is actually happy about his smexy reappearance?? that suit CC is wearing its hot and I can't wait for someone to upload the english scans online....

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 17:41   Link #1574
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

He is hot right until he opens his mouth. Smexiness doesn't equal intelligence. Besides he has an ugly knightmare until he got Tristan Divider. No to Gino, yes to Tristan. He should get Dagonet or something. He was, in series, a 'court jester' sort to speak.

I like the clothes worn by the black haired guy. :'o So cool. Geass Directorate clothing needed much more love. Kind of like the female Devicer suits used by Kuro no Kishidan.
Old 2010-05-24, 19:03   Link #1575
Eternal Dreamer
Seeker of Truth and Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
...I didn't think his reaction would be as bad as mine. I mean seriously ED, that was off the topic "YOU SUCK!" kind of reaction. I absolutely agree though.

...The Divine Comedy was written by Dante Alighieri, who 'descended into hell to save the soul of his wife'. Yes I know, Dante, Orpheus, Izanagi. Very similar. You don't want to hear my theories

Read Gawain the Green Knight, The Epic Saga, Ulster Cycle, and the Lancelot-Holy Grail cycle. They are all worth a read. All classic (...mythology. I excel in mythology.)

... "A judgement without standards does not exist. If that is the case, who decides these standards?" Sounds like the speaker is atheistic.
...Sorry for the over-the-top reaction. Even I regretted it after I posted it. (I just wish they could have chosen someone besides Gino to reuse in this manga, as he isn't high on my list of favorites. Except for the Tristan Divider, which I agree was awesome.)

...Anyway, I've finished the translation of the Character descriptions, though I really hope that a better translator will do these in the near future; I'm not exactly satisfied with how I did it, but it's the best I could come up with. Hopefully it doesn't ruin your expectations TOO much.

Quote:
登場人物
The Characters

連夜
主人公。 剣術、学問、馬とまるで駄目だが実戦には強い。 特大のクナイをブーメランのように投げるのが得 意
Renya
Main character. Sucks when it comes to sword-fighting, studying, and horses, but is strong in actual combat. Throwing specialized kunai as boomerangs is his specialty.

カルラ
連夜の仲間。 頭が良いが教え方に問題がある (刀で取り囲んだ状態で三日三晩休み食事なし等 )
Karura
Renya’s friend/comrade. Is smart but her methods of teaching are problematic. (To surround a person with swords for three days and nights while they rest and eat and so forth.)

アンジ
連夜の仲間。 連夜を若と呼ぶ。 連夜とは子供の頃からの仲
Anji
Renya’s friend/comrade. Calls Renya a kid (Uncertain). Their friendship goes back to their childhood.

美鈴
連夜の仲間。
Misuzu (Most probable spelling, not definite. Others: Misato, Mirin, Mirei, Meirin)
Renya’s friend/comrade.

(Cannot find kanji.)
連夜の仲間。
Unknown name
Renya’s friend/comrade.

ツワブキ
連夜の仲間。
Tsuwabuki
Renya’s friend/comrade.

師範
連夜たちの師
Instructor (spelled as Shihan)
Renya’s and everyone teacher

皇一心
里を襲撃した敵の大将。 強い敵を見つけると自分の身体に傷を付けてその存在を心に残してから 倒すハードM
Emperor Isshin? (Tentative name)
Leader of the enemy which attacked Renya’s village. When he sees a strong enemy and his body gets wounded, he becomes a hard masochist which gives up his rational mind in order to defeat /kill (Uncertain).

一心の軍勢と行動を共にする伴天連(外国人)。 連夜に力を与えるが…。
Foreigners who serves as Isshin’s army, and who seeks to spread Christianity. They give Renya a certain power…

連夜の背後に浮かんだ人物。
A character that appears in Renya’s background (Uncertain, could also means he is behind the scenes or something.)

桜の爆ぜ石
爆発する
Exploding Stone of Cherry Blossoms (In other words, Sakuradite)
Explodes.
...I know, it isn't the best, but it does shed some light on a few things. First is obviously that C.C. is APPARENTLY working for the villain here and is also, get this, working for CHRISTIANITY. (I feel light-headed from the utter irony of that. Although...*imagines C.C. as a nun*...Nah, that's asking for too much.) Also, the Lelouch-lookalike remains shrouded in mystery, though we have confirmed that he has Lelouch's "fully developed" Geass and apparently is connected to Renya somehow. (I sense endless, and heated, speculation in the future...)

I guess that's it for today. Now I can only wait quietly for the raws, and then the scanlation, to come up...IS IT HERE YET?! (Sorry, couldn't resist... )
Old 2010-05-24, 19:07   Link #1576
Xander

Once again, thanks for all the translations. Even if they're not perfect, it's still much better than nothing. I'm sure the entire manga will be translated sooner or later.

I think that character might be Gino's ancestor, if they're even related at all...and, just as well, maybe the long-haired guy isn't really Lelouch but his great grandfather or something, who must have come up with a complicated plan of some sort involving Geass and whatever crazy concepts are going to be used in the story (insert stuff like time travel, reincarnation, etc. etc.).

This is all pure speculation, of course, but now that this manga has been formally introduced as a "prologue" and so forth, it's what I've deduced so far.

Quote:
Also, the Lelouch-lookalike remains shrouded in mystery, though we have confirmed that he has Lelouch's "fully developed" Geass and apparently is connected to Renya somehow. (I sense endless, and heated, speculation in the future...)
True, but keep in mind that Geass users should be able to reach that "fully developed" Geass...and, what's more, if Emperor Lelouch gained the Code at the end of R2 (as per the popular fan theory) he would have immediately lost his Geass in exchange for immortality. This guy...still has Geass.
Old 2010-05-24, 19:23   Link #1577
Eternal Dreamer
Seeker of Truth and Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Once again, thanks for all the translations. Even if they're not perfect, it's still much better than nothing. I'm sure the entire manga will be translated sooner or later.

I think that character might be Gino's ancestor, if they're even related at all...and, just as well, maybe the long-haired guy isn't really Lelouch but his great grandfather or something, who must have come up with a complicated plan of some sort involving Geass and whatever crazy concepts are going to be used in the story (insert stuff like time travel, reincarnation, etc. etc.).

This is all pure speculation, of course, but now that this manga has been formally introduced as a "prologue" and so forth, it's what I've deduced so far.

True, but keep in mind that Geass users should be able to reach that "fully developed" Geass...and, what's more, if Emperor Lelouch gained the Code at the end of R2 (as per the popular fan theory) he would have immediately lost his Geass in exchange for immortality. This guy...still has Geass.
...Just so you know, I'm not of those fans who believe in the "Lelouch became immortal theory". I have my reasons, but they're off-topic here, so I'll just say that I'm open to the possibility that the Lelouch in the picture might be the actual Lelouch. Though I have strong doubts on that as well, mainly because of that girl shown in the color pages next to Le-like (my nickname for him until definite confirmation), who seems connected to him somehow, suggesting that he is, in fact, a new and different character. (But, either way, I think I'll just wait for the manga's story to unfold before passing judgment on any of that.)
Old 2010-05-24, 19:31   Link #1578
Xander

Quote:
...Just so you know, I'm not of those fans who believe in the "Lelouch became immortal theory". I have my reasons, but they're off-topic here, so I'll just say that I'm open to the possibility that the Lelouch in the picture might be the actual Lelouch. Though I have strong doubts on that as well, mainly because of that girl shown in the color pages next to Le-like (my nickname for him until definite confirmation), who seems connected to him somehow, suggesting that he is, in fact, a new and different character. (But, either way, I think I'll just wait for the manga's story to unfold before passing judgment on any of that.)
Oh, I don't believe in that theory either, strictly speaking...but I still think Sunrise is capable of anything, provided it serves their objectives, and for better or for worse that's the fan explanation accepted by most of those who think Lelouch survived. At the very least, this would conflict with the theory as it has been presented.

The identity of that girl poses some interesting questions, to be sure...maybe she's his "Nunnally-equivalent" or something else entirely?

I agree, by the way, about waiting for the full story before making too many assumptions. Whatever the case, the creators of this manga aren't afraid of introducing a lot of parallels and references, to say nothing more, but the differences should begin to show up as more information is revealed.
Old 2010-05-24, 20:23   Link #1579
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Whoops. I put 'Gawain the Green Knight', It's actually 'Gawain and the Green Knight' Gomen. Sorry!

Not even going to speculate who le-like is ( I like the name too. Saves time from Lelouch look-alike.) My speculation? His character appearance is awesome. I love the cape.

Good things come to those that wait. I'll be setting on the bench with you and Eternal Dreamer, Xander. Sort of speaking.
Old 2010-05-25, 00:20   Link #1580
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

So will we be expecting an anime adaption of this story? Why manga first this time though? Why not just go straight into the anime?

edit:
btw arbitres, who is that character in your avatar? Looks familiar :X
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, mecha