AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-10, 09:36   Link #181
maximilianjenus
[E]

I want good fights something like jba or at least mma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
None can be as different as her Japanese to English dub total shift in personalities. Instead of her just being the "serious mature one" that kind of views Usagi as clueless irresponsible and ditzy (which she is) they just made her outright mean spirited and unlikeable. I remember them actually changing a script in one episode where Usagi is supposed to leave the cresent moon wand to Rei because she felt she'd be the best one to look after it to Serena accidentally leaving the wand there (which makes no sense in context) and Raye berating her for it in front of everyone when initally she was just giving it back. It was really something.

There's plenty of other examples of them changing her dialogue to make her just more of an outright bitch to other characters where initially she was doing nothing of the kind or just giving Usagi a hard time. Those are the days of dubbing for TV anime I really do not miss.

Now that I think of it most of the other characters had some personality shift as well. Mercury is a lot more bashful and meek in the original whereas I remember her being kind of confrontational in the dub, Chibi-Usa is still pretty bratty, but she's a lot more symphathetic in the original whereas "Rini" was just a demon child...in fact the only character that really seems to carry over well is Jupiter. I'm pretty sure it's just because they tried to harden up the cast to appeal more to young males and Jupiter was already pretty masculine so she just kind of stayed the same.
I rememebr ti had a "sailor moon says" segment, so you can blame them trying to force feed a moral in there for any script changes.
Old 2012-07-10, 12:16   Link #182
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
About the only thing I'd like from Chibiusa is her protectors: The Asteroid Scouts, to appear in their "friendly" forms. (Ceres, Pallas, Juno, and Vesta)
Oh yeah! They are awesome!
Old 2012-07-10, 14:34   Link #183
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
How is it that every thread turns into a discussion about Mari Okada these days? People are aware there's a thread for her in General Anime right?

Having no idea what Mari Okada has to do with Sailor Moon I'll just talk about the fights in the original. I definitely do remember noticing how formulaic it was even back in the very early 90's when I wasn't even really aware of such things. There's already a numbered list above, but here's how I remember most episodes going:

1. Episode starts, evil boss person orders some henchman to go steal macguffin, henchman creates monster to disguise itself as human and go steal macguffin

2. switch scene to Earth with cast going about they're daily business and interacting until by sheer coincidence they happen to come across the target in question who has some sort of trial they need to overcome.

3. target gets attacked by monster, it becomes personal for one memeber of sailor cast.

4. transformation sequence taking up roughly 2-3 minutes

5. Fight starts, senshi are immediately and summarily smacked down and all hope seems lost until Tuxedo Mask throws his rose and gives romantic speech to Sailor Moon and co. urging them to fight on

6. Senshi use their special attacks in various combinations to stun the monster and sailor moon finishes it off with whatever particular finisher attack is in the season.

7. Target returns to normal daily life having found the resolve to face whatever trial it was that was plaguing them never to be seen again.

I found the episodes that focused more on recurring characters and which had some sort of conflict between the sides to be among the better ones. Also if I had to rank the seasons I'd say it goes something like S>Stars>Classic>SuperS>R. Just never really got all that much into R and it always felt like more of an interlude between the considerably darker S the same way Super S did for the also fairly dark Stars. It shouldn't really come as a surprise that both seasons featured Chibi Usa very prominently and while I never had the same issues with her as others I just never really got into her whole story arc about being from the future and unable to return.
Old 2012-07-10, 17:01   Link #184
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
I want good fights something like jba or at least mma.

I rememebr ti had a "sailor moon says" segment, so you can blame them trying to force feed a moral in there for any script changes.
The Sailor Moon says segments were added so that Sailor Moon would qualify as an educational tv show.
Old 2012-07-10, 22:37   Link #185
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Poor Tuxedo Mask... Taking so much heat on this thread.
Actually, Tuxedo mask was one of the only few male anime characters I really love... I always wanted to see Usagi being pampered by him, the way they fight, and argue... its classic... They're like a tsundere couple.
Old 2012-07-11, 01:51   Link #186
sky black swordman

Tuxedo mask was one of his alter egos right he had another one . Right?
Old 2012-07-11, 02:32   Link #187
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
Tuxedo mask was one of his alter egos right he had another one . Right?
Moon Shadow Night in the R season. Instead of a guy in a Tuxedo he had this whole Arabian theme going on.

Anyway a thought just occured to me. How damn popular is Hotaru Tomoe going to be with today's dark magical girl loving crowd since I assume they'll get to her arc and feature her very prominently. She was more or less the prototype for that sort of character we see in Akemi Homura except somehow far more creepy. Especially in the manga with all the prothestics that you don't see in the anime and basically having as much theoretical power than some of the shows final bosses.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-07-11 at 02:42.
Old 2012-07-11, 05:26   Link #188
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Quote:
Anyway a thought just occured to me. How damn popular is Hotaru Tomoe going to be with today's dark magical girl loving crowd since I assume they'll get to her arc and feature her very prominently. She was more or less the prototype for that sort of character we see in Akemi Homura except somehow far more creepy. Especially in the manga with all the prothestics that you don't see in the anime and basically having as much theoretical power than some of the shows final bosses.
She was my absolute favorite among the senshi, and she still is. Given how popular Homura is in Japan, Hotaru's popularity might as well go up compared to the old days. I only hope they won't screw up anything about her arc, since she appeared quite late, had a very dark backstory and had much less screen time than the other senshi, which might be the reasons why she is less popular than how she should be.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
Old 2012-07-11, 09:47   Link #189
maximilianjenus
[E]

if they don't add any fillers one coeur per arc is very factible..that is kinda scary.
Old 2012-07-11, 11:00   Link #190
Bern-san

If I'm not mistaken the arabian Mamoru thing was filler, right?

Hotaru was also my favorite character, I loved her arc in the manga since it was so dark-themed.

I still remember how dubs made Neptune and Uranus cousins just to avoid the homosexual theme.
Old 2012-07-11, 11:21   Link #191
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
if they don't add any fillers one coeur per arc is very factible..that is kinda scary.
Well I wouldn't quite get that carried away, but you could probably cut each arc down by half easily. For example take Sailor Moon Classic:

Spoiler for length and story:

Each character can of course be developed along the way and do their own thing, but less filler monster of the week fights overall.
Old 2012-07-11, 11:33   Link #192
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Anyway a thought just occured to me. How damn popular is Hotaru Tomoe going to be with today's dark magical girl loving crowd since I assume they'll get to her arc and feature her very prominently. She was more or less the prototype for that sort of character we see in Akemi Homura except somehow far more creepy.
Not only that, but there's a (dubious) theory that her name is the origin of "moe".
Old 2012-07-11, 11:52   Link #193
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Well I wouldn't quite get that carried away, but you could probably cut each arc down by half easily. For example take Sailor Moon Classic:

Spoiler for length and story:

Each character can of course be developed along the way and do their own thing, but less filler monster of the week fights overall.
That would be for me an ideal scenario (and not the one I hinted), the manga is seriosuly lacking charafter development, it's just not fun. the one thing I liked about sailor moon is that it was fun, even with the monster of the week format, the interaction between the senshi was slice of life level yet the episodes still had something else going on.

I t would be good if instad of trying to merge grimdark and mahou shoujo, thye merge mahou shoujo and slice of life (kidna like moetan, but better)
Old 2012-07-11, 12:09   Link #194
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Not only that, but there's a (dubious) theory that her name is the origin of "moe".
Of all the characters in the show she definitely seems to have the moe thing going on most of all for sure. There's something to be said for a pale frail loli (I think she was one of if not the first of this archetype) dressed entirely in black tight fitting clothing that sits in the park all day looking sad until her sunhat blows away and well...we all know the rest. Plus the whole backstory, fight with her own internal demons, the outer senshi's initial steadfast determination to kill the poor girl all make her very sympathetic. Also her official character art is unlike any of the other cast members in terms of how they portray her. Most of the official art I've seen from Japan for the others is them just looking Bishoujo...Hotaru on the other hand....

Spoiler:

Yeah I wonder what they were going for there.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-07-11 at 15:07.
Old 2012-07-11, 13:23   Link #195
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Most of the official art I've seen from Japan for the others is them just looking Bishoujo...Hotaru on the other hand....

Spoiler:

Yeah I wonder what they were going for there.

Oh.....WOW.

Damn....you learn something new every day, I guess!!

I never once thought of Hotaru like that.....but all the elements are right there, aren't they....x____X
Old 2012-07-11, 14:13   Link #196
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

"War! What is it good for? Absolutely..."
Spoiler for large image:

Everything!
Old 2012-07-11, 22:20   Link #197
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Moon Shadow Night in the R season. Instead of a guy in a Tuxedo he had this whole Arabian theme going on.

Except Hotaru isn't the prototype for the dark magical girl. Non from Majokko Megu-chan was an even earlier dark magical girl from 1974. There is probably another from before even her.

Don't disagree with her likely being really popular among older fans though.

Last edited by VampirePaladin; 2012-07-11 at 22:20. Reason: Spelling fix
Old 2012-07-11, 22:25   Link #198
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Wow Sailor Saturn...
Old 2012-07-12, 18:24   Link #199
U<3Anime
Boo!

Is this going to replace Precure?

Anyway, it's about time for Bandai to milk that cow again. I'm expecting them to be churning out some Sailor Moon figuarts down the line.
Old 2012-07-12, 21:36   Link #200
Kyuu
=^^=

I demand this series to be originally done in English.
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo