AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-08, 13:17   Link #481
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai the Dreamer View Post
(and multiple side-characters)

I wanna see Nanako Kuroi =(
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:30   Link #482
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I agree with one positive poster there who said that if you don't like this kind of humor in the comic, you won't like it in the show. I should correct that a bit: I like it better in the anime than I have so far in the comic. The voices bring it life.
I didn't like the manga all that much, but I am still hopeful that I will be able to enjoy the anime.

Guess I should watch the intro while the sub shows up.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2007-04-08 at 14:38.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:42   Link #483
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
This is a school days comedy about nothing in particular filled with cute girls and bright colours and with KyoAni-level animation.

I am in complete, utter love. There is nothing more that I can ever want.

(Yes, I'm easily satisfied.)
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 13:50   Link #484
Eclipze

Ok, having watched through all the youtube links that was posted, heres what I think is being defined as Sakuga-type quality by 7Th:

Kinetic/realistic animation.

When a person is moving, does his clothes move as well? Is the movement realistic?
When there is a strong gust of wind, does the hair/cloths move at a realistic speed?
Are the drawings accurate in the shown perspective? (top view, side view, from bottom - 25 degrees in angle etc)
When a person throw a piece of rock against/into a:
1) Wall, can small "grains" of sand/dirt be seen falling from the point of contact as a sigh of friction?
2) Pond, does the water "ripple" at a realistic speed? Does the ripple look realistic in comparision to the speed/size of the rock and the overall impact that is supposed to have been caused by the throw?
3) Someone's clothed body, are the clothes affected the same way that it would have been in real life?
Is the character's face in proportion to the original model when he wears a different expression?
1) When a person closes his eyes, is what's seen just a line or are details such as the eye lashes shown? During the closing of the eyes, is it just an instantanious switch of frame- [eyes opened] to frame- [eyes closed] or is there sufficient animation to show the action/change?
2) When a relatively strong wind is blowing against a character's hair/fur, do the mentioned parts move in a plastic loop of frames or is each frame of hair movement different/random? (realistic movement?)
When a character speaks, does his/her chin move as well?

Thats all I can think of for now. Do note that I might be entirely wrong on the matter, but I do believe the qualities that 7Th is talking about can be seen in series such as Noein, Eureka seveN, and to a lesser extend, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha:
Spoiler for for Nanoha:

The Eureka seveN and Nanoha scenes were shown in the youtube vids that was posted, so take a look to see what I mean. Also, the way the camera moves is also part of the kinetic animations I believe, though I only see that in the Nanoha scene.

And to stay on topic...um...I hope the song will be catchy enough for me to remember?
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:03   Link #485
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I'm gonna wait till someone sub this before i judge it's humor.

As for animation, while i enjoyed KyoAni's recent animation work, you shouldn't expect anything impressive from this series. But the little motion animation that you see from episode 1 are pretty well done despite the simplistic 4koma character design.

Other than that, Konata's otaku antic are pretty funny. Anyway, there's lots of talking head scene and punchline humor so i can't comment much on this anime yet.
Old 2007-04-08, 14:06   Link #486
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

OK, watched the intro, I think I am gonna need a little bit of time to get used to the music in it.

I liked all the dancing the girls do though.

Was suddenly reminded of YUA after seeing this.

Oh, and Riker posted this in the Haruhi image section. I guess it kinda fits in here as well.

Old 2007-04-08, 14:08   Link #487
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Yes, and it's Konata singing Uchuu Tetsujin Kyodain wwww
So.... they going to randomly (karaoke style) sing a different song every week?
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:09   Link #488
FireChick

I'll watch Lucky Star! I've never seen the 4-koma but I will like it! My reason is that the characters are REALLY cute!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:18   Link #489
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
So.... they going to randomly (karaoke style) sing a different song every week?
That'd great, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:22   Link #490
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
I wasn't paying much attention to this thread until I saw my name.

I guess I am in banzai mode, sort of. What I saw in the first episode wasn't a huge wow I thought. But then again I wasn't wowed when I saw episode 0 of Haruhi (and it took me a while to realize what was actually going on after I saw episode 0).

I thought episode 1 of this looks like they were trying to stick to the style of the original work, and that is fine by me. When I was watching this thing it felt a bit like watching Azumanga - duh, because they're both 4-koma. I think as the episodes move on, there will come a time when this start to amaze me.

Nevertheless, based on track record, I still think Kyo Ani's the best and I don't see otherwise. They've always managed to impress me and I believe they will continue to do so one way or another. It's not "anything kyo ani makes is automatically godly." It's more about "anything kyo ani makes always somehow live up to my expectations."
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:46   Link #491
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This koma series is almost totally "talking head" style (whereas Azumanga Daioh's koma had much more movement and physical humor).
I'm interested in seeing what KyoAni does with a source that relies mostly on facial expressions and verbal humor -- and how they translate it to a visual action medium.

If anyone has been watching Hidamari Sketch, the "acid trip I have a fever" episode (5) has very little movement. It works for that ep but 12 episodes of that might be a bit much. I can't see an entire season of "talking heads" so KyoAni will have to introduce individualistic ways that LuckyStar characters animate themselves through their world.

As far as "1st ep" wow... shows that are character driven -- I just don't expect a lot to happen in the first few episodes -- very common to both U.K. and European series as well.
Old 2007-04-08, 14:49   Link #492
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I've only read the scanlation of the three first chapters just when the anime was announced.
I've liked what I've read, I did smile, I did laugh (especially the Konata's explanation for why she did not joined a sport club).
My only regret is that I could not get more translated chapters (the thing was already licensed) so, sadly, I could not see Nanako Kuroi.
Therefore, I am waiting to see when Nanako will appear.

From the scanlated chapters I could read, Konata stuck to me as a favorite.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:52   Link #493
Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
According to that Random Curiosity blog because a) The opening had Aya Hirano b)As long as its Kyoani good or bad we HAVE to watch this and c)If the openings catchy and cute, then nothing else matters then d) Kyoto Animation claims a total victory for the year. If that's the case than these are the Key ingredients to a successful anime. The fanbase has spoken, take notes other studios as its time to play catchup and to rename your studio.

In fact you can cast away all that other unnecessary stuff as well because its not important. In fact get rid of the show itself, keep the opening and choregraph a catchy dance sequence that looks like the one from Haruhi, and have Aya Hirano sing it, and name your Studio Kyoto Animation and you should have the show of the year. Oh I love making fun of the more "interesting" anime fans sometimes (they make it far too easy though).
Jaalin and I have differing viewpoints about this show (he likes it much more than me), but I don't see either of us saying what you claim we said.
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 14:53   Link #494
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
I forgot to mention that I loved the opening. very energetic, and that's a good sign. It gave me a similar 'feel' of energy when I first saw the Haruhi opening.
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 15:01   Link #495
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Jaalin and I have differing viewpoints about this show (he likes it much more than me), but I don't see either of us saying what you claim we said.
Look in the comments section made by readers and you'll see it. It's because you didn't say it at all that you didn't say it.

@W-General: I'm kind of the same way with Sunrise and Bones actually, when it comes to trust. The reason being they do stuff I like and do it well, while Kyoto does stuff I'm maybe passively interested in that I don't care for them as much.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 15:03   Link #496
Dejiko-chan
Kamichama Karin <3

Woah~The dance was really cool <3

I've read 4 chapters of the scanlations and it was plain funny. There're always a place for comedy animes~
Dejiko-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 15:13   Link #497
froinlaven
Wanchu!

I thought the OP was super awesome, and I liked the animation. I had sort of a hard time understanding all of the dialogue though. At least I got a few of the jokes...

Full impressions here.
froinlaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 15:15   Link #498
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Sounds like I'm a little late to the party.

At any rate, from what I'm reading everywhere it seems that this ep was hit-or-miss to some people, gold to others, and an obligatory watch to those who thought it wasn't that special. I guess this is what happens with 4-koma slice-of-life anime adaptations eh?

But, I think it goes without saying that the OP is UBER.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 15:39   Link #499
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

the OP is insane.I watched it 5 times already.I need more.
Old 2007-04-08, 15:50   Link #500
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_passerby View Post
Sounds like I'm a little late to the party.

At any rate, from what I'm reading everywhere it seems that this ep was hit-or-miss to some people, gold to others, and an obligatory watch to those who thought it wasn't that special. I guess this is what happens with 4-koma slice-of-life anime adaptations eh?

But, I think it goes without saying that the OP is UBER.
It kind of saddens me that what looks like a fairly interesting and amusing comedy is going to be overshadowed by the opening. It's like how I felt with Haruhi that people were missing the really, truly great parts and focusing on the stuff that could be used as fodder for 2Chan style pics, and that was making the anime's case for them. I think I saw more talk to do with the bunny suit and Yuki's glasses, than anything dealing with the revelations of Haruhi's character or the metaphysics.

That being said this is definitely not meant to be a serious show, but I'm saying that I see a lot more funny things in the screenshots of the anime alone, than I saw in the entire goofy opening, as bizarre as it was. I hope it doesn't overshadow the rest of the series and that song and dance doesn't beat out parody and comedy in yet another series. So yeah, I find that with Kyoto Animation there's always this one thing that gets everybody going about an episode or series and that carries the whole thing, while other good stuff gets ignored. It's like I said in the one post, why bother with everything else when you only need those key ingredients? In fact as far as I can tell its the same with a lot of other companies too. Basically the most meme like thing is what gets everybody the most riled up (Pizza in Code Geass, Dancing in Lucky Star, Bunny Suit in Haruhi, Uguuu in Kanon etc.). Though if anyones curious I'm kind of looking forward to the Street Fighter thing when the sub comes out, though I'm sure there's other stuff. Maybe Vexx know's the answer to this paragraph's puzzlement.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen