AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2010-02-23, 12:36   Link #21
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanishingBook View Post
^ - Nah no rumors for me I watched some clips and read wikipedia. So In my opinion Shinkenger's Kagemusha plot didn't get to me. I think the series was very poorly handled. We did get to see a first in history female Red Senshi... and then samurai... but then again I didn't like the idea of the whole samurai culture being sentai. Samurais are really disciplined and very strict and yeah we could go to the history books about feudal Japan.

I was thinking that the point of the show is to introduce samurai culture to the kids, which it seems to be barely visible in today's Japan. It didn't work. If I could go back in time to redo Shinkenger I'd put some more "GENKI" into it. And well it may seem opposite to the whole disciplined samurai thing, but it's what gets the kids to enjoy sentai. There can be some adjustments too, so as a whole, a sentai show with samurais and a "GENKI" theme is a unique take.
I see. I myself usually reject "GENKI," which was why I didn't like Go-onger. My criticism of Shinkenger would be plotlines and secondary character development that don't go anywhere.

Quote:
And I'm happy Goseiger is enjoyable (from the looks of episode 1).

(Can you tell me more about how Ohranger's became crappy? Sarin attacks, gasp~ I thought I'd never hear it again... AUM SHINRIKYO... >.< Onore!)
Due to its poor reviews and the lack of subs, I've only seen bits of it, such as the horrible scene I mentioned earlier. Other fans and reviews have mentioned wild fluctuations between seriousness and wackiness after episode 8, as if the writers suddenly had to scrap plans and re-write.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 21:22   Link #22
BanishingBook

^ - Oh Go-onger lol... darn those heads were a major turn-off. They talk a lot lol.
BanishingBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 22:53   Link #23
john_kun
Banned

whatta hell is this? power rangers Japanese version?

if something is a turnoff is this
john_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 23:13   Link #24
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_kun View Post
More like the original version before they were edited and redubbed to make Power Ranger episodes.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-23, 23:43   Link #25
mg1942

I'm glad that I got to watch this at the time when Japan only exported SS shows to Asia

mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 00:29   Link #26
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

Quote:
^ - Oh Go-onger lol... darn those heads were a major turn-off. They talk a lot lol.
well at least RPM was more serious pr series give mention it was the last pr.

really RPM was something to end era of pr despite the wonder if pr era is over or not give anyone saw that "blink eye" in final scene in RPM?!
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 01:28   Link #27
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_kun View Post

if something is a turnoff is this
*another facepalm*
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 04:19   Link #28
BanishingBook

^ - Dragun-san I'm with you.

Jeez jeez and another jeez... sigh... I wish people would do their research before they throw you "is this another power rangers thread" ...

(Going slightly offtopic here: )

And sigh is it just me but... is Sentai less popular than anime or manga? Late 80's and early nineties were definitely the peak of the Sentai Spirit(or Tokusatsu). And I get the feeling that ever since year 2000 Tokusatsu(generalizing here to include Kamen Rider and Ultraman) hasn't been regarded as an important part of Japanese otaku culture. Tokusatsu is generally tied to shonen right? So Tokusatsu --> shonen --> anime. In my opinion tokusatsu doesn't even greatly appeal to the average anime otaku these days, unlike in the past. Well some of the Japanese do love their Sentai, Kamen Rider and Ultraman but I'm not seeing it from younger fans of anime from elsewhere.

Is it alright if I blame Saban's Power Rangers? or Disney? I reckon the Power Rangers were behind all of it! Ever since Saban's meddling with Sentai, it has shaped the stereotypical view that most of us tokusatsu fans are mere childish geeks. Sigh there's more anime and manga, but barely Tokusatsu otaku. lol

@ mg1942: Oh I love Maskman too, the muscle intro still scares me though. XD
Old 2010-02-24, 04:59   Link #29
mg1942

Quote:

@ mg1942: Oh I love Maskman too, the muscle intro still scares me though. XD

I can't think of other SS shows that had kick ass opening soundtrack
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-24, 05:03   Link #30
BanishingBook

^ - Well what about TurboRanger, Fiveman and Jetman. I love TurboRanger's OST, Fiveman's and Jetman's respective OP and ED.

"Kokoro wa Tamago, chiiisana tamago" ~~ (Jetman ED)

eh wait this isn't kick ass, but it's heart warming ^_^
Old 2010-02-24, 06:35   Link #31
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

Quote:
^ - Well what about TurboRanger, Fiveman and Jetman. I love TurboRanger's OST, Fiveman's and Jetman's respective OP and ED.

"Kokoro wa Tamago, chiiisana tamago" ~~ (Jetman ED)

eh wait this isn't kick ass, but it's heart warming ^_^
oh yes that ed song jetman especially remember that & finale include what happen to gai

as for other ss song there also bioman, maskman, fiveman, & jetman if any phils remember it fil-audio.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 23:49   Link #32
justsomeguy

Goseiger ep 3:

* Moune (Yellow) rushes in to fight alone.
* New mecha battle set! It's a ice field in the countryside, with low buildings no more than two stories tall, and lots of cars.
* It's always interesting how ice attacks cause sparks.
Old 2010-03-19, 05:34   Link #33
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Goseiger ep 4

for a minute there,
i thought that music Warstar was going to sing Gaogaigar's Mic Sounders the 13th's POWER OF DESIRE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"

Last edited by Patriot's Blade; 2010-03-19 at 06:33.
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 11:02   Link #34
justsomeguy

Goseiger 4 was... kinda corny, more so than expected.

As for Goseiger 5, new support mecha! Three of them, in fact, all fish: Manta, sawfish, and hammerhead, all belonging to GoseiBlue. The "Seaick Brothers" combine with Gosei Great to form Seaick Gosei Great, and the original headers are displaced onto the other hardpoints.

Next episode: Landick Gosei Great?
Old 2010-03-26, 09:46   Link #35
justsomeguy

Goseiger 6:
An odd episode, because while it was Skyick tribe focused, especially on Alata and his injury, it was the Landick tribe received the auxiliary mecha: Stag beetle, a drill rhino, and a dinosaur (?!) header. The finishing move is basically Landick Gosei Great performing a rider kick using the drill rhino on the right foot, which is actually pretty interesting compared to the typical punches or drill arm attacks.
Old 2010-06-06, 00:18   Link #36
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Some good sentai pics of females I enjoy from the old days:

And the recent...

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 10:06   Link #37
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Some good sentai pics of females I enjoy from the old days:

And the recent...

Very nice! Do you have the name of the artist?

Among other news, Saban has bought back the rights to Power Rangers. One can only hope that they don't butcher Shinkenger too badly if they adapt that.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2010-06-07, 14:27   Link #38
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
One of the Jetman pics came from here. Another's from here.

As for the Dekaranger one, kobun from Danboru uploaded it to the site.

Speaking of which, here's an interesting avatar.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 04:14   Link #39
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
This is a little essay I made based on all sentai series to date. In very few words, we have the following info.

The very first season is Goranger (1975). A terrorist group of cyborgs, controlled by aliens, invades the organization formed to stop them and the five sole survivors find the technology to turn to the first sentai team and head to take revenge for what they did.

The plot was not only fairly simple but it was even a lot longer than the following seasons. Plus there were no giant mecha in it and the heroes’ uniforms were made of rather hard to move or see materials.

It’s not something I would stand for more than a few episodes.
Score: 2/10

///////////////////////////////////////////

The second is JAQK (1977). The story is the same again, only this time the heroes are themed after card symbols, the leader of the team is introduced much later and the themes of the story were a lot darker than in the first season. Unfortunately that did not appeal back then and this season had to turn comical later on and ended in a lot less episodes.

Definitely better than the first and it’s a shame it didn’t work out well. For all it matters Big One is an interesting comic relief hero.
Score: 3/10

The third is Battle Fever J (1979). The story is again the same (duh) and the heroes are this time themed after large countries. Each one represents a great nation that together fight the criminal group. In this season the giant robots were introduced and the visors on the helmets were experimented to look different and easier to see through.

Ok, honestly, the uniforms in this season suck. The addition of mecha was ok but otherwise the story was a lot longer than JAQK, the heroes are lame to look at and the music theme is terrible, making this a rock bottom season.
Score: 1/10

The fourth is Denjiman (1980). This time the heroes are survivors of an alien civilization the villains destroyed (they are hostile aliens… again) and they defend Earth, their new homeland.

The uniforms return to a more traditional look (thank God) and the mecha now semi-transforms. The most interesting part is that the aliens now have internal struggles and they even betray one another. It never gets old.
And the main music theme is actually pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0DMUdscvqY

Overall, it has the greatest variety as of yet and it’s the best season so far.
Score: 5/10

Fifth, Sun Vulkan (1981). Starts as a rehash of Goranger, with the heroes themed after air force, navy, and infantry. The catch is that the evil alien leader literally resurrects the evil queen from the previous season, making a very funky continuity. An extra villain that joins her later even manages to destroy the heroes’ base and the Red Leader is literally forced to be replaced.

This is again a good season, provided you watch it as a sequel to the previous one. Too bad the main theme is not as good.

Sixth, Goggle Five (1982). It’s practically Sun Vulkan with a lot lamer villains and costumes. A much undermined season and obviously inferior to its source material.

Seventh, Dynaman (1983). As a slight change, the villains are now multi-tailed lizards from the center of the Earth. Other than that, they also have internal struggles and follow the Sun Vulkan formula again. Overall, equal to the fifth season but without the recurring villain.

Eighth, Bioman (1984). The first that got dubbed in other countries. Definitely ONE OF THE GREATEST OF ITS KIND and amongst the most intense and well made.
The music theme KICKS ASS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b96JG4vCydA

The characters were all colourful and likable and early on we get a main character dying.
Well, it happened because the actor had to go and she did get replaced as soon as the next episode aired but in-series it was an early major death scene. Corny as shit but it was powerful for such a series.

Then it’s the main villain himself, Doctor Man. He begins as the usual mad scientist who wants to rule Earth for the heck of it but as the story goes on, you get to like the guy and even pity him.
He is not a faceless alien machine and embodiment of evil. He is loathed by his son, mocked by his colleague and all that fancy technology still does not make him feel happy. Sad SOB.

His underlings though, meh, besides being occasionally funny were nothing great.

Then it’s the sixth Ranger… I mean Bio Man.
He rivals the heroes and actually NEVER joins them. How unexpected was this?
Overall, a very good series.
Score: 7/10

Ninth, Changeman (1985). Like Sun Vulkan, with less funky villains, the heroes being Earth army soldiers, and a character defecting to the good side. Worse than Sun Vulkan, better than Goggle Five.
Score: 4/10

Tenth, Flashman (1986). Starts like Denjiman and proceeds like Sun Vulkan. Slightly better than Changeman, as the villains plan to become Gods through inhuman experiments. Cool!

Eleventh, Maskman (1987). Practically Dynaman without the tails and with the heroes being Chinese martial artists. Plus, there is a romance between a villain and a hero. Equal season to it.

Twelth, Liveman (1988). It has the exact same story as Bioman and actually improves the formula by a lot. All the characters have the exact same positions but in Liveman they have far more meat to show. Even the main mad scientist is on par with Doctor Man, believe it or not.

Even the intro song is great. And yeah, it’s disco magic. And the singer is actually the Red ranger; fancy that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kG7mBGnRXQ

This is definitely the best sentai as of yet.
Score: 8/10

Thirteenth, Turboranger (1989). It’s like Dynaman again without the tails and with the heroes being racers and runners. Plus, no interaction between the villains and the heroes, making it inferior to it.

Fourteenth, Fiveman (1990). An almost carbon copy of Flashman.

Fifteenth, Jetman (1991). Like Flasman again, but with more colourful characters. It could be a great season with all the heel turns it has in it but unfortunately they were all based on brainwashing which kills all meaning of free will or true change of heart. Shame…

Sixteenth, Zyuranger (1992). The series from which the first Power Rangers began being made for the American version.

In a nut shell it’s about an evil witch that hates children causing trouble for Earth and being stomped all the time by the rangers.

The American version took out the aspects of the main villain fascination with hurting children as well as the numerous allusions to mythological monsters and other myths worldwide. That effectively took out the main themes of this season.

The show is once again identified by its villains. The witch Bantora (the original name of Rita) is a great villain, comical, powerful and sinister at the same time. And even her aversion to children and Earth is eventually excused as in the past her dear son was killed by a dinosaur and she vowed to avenge him by destroying all life on the planet. Far-fetched but she really loved her son. In the finale, she resurrects him as a powerful demon and gets imprisoned again (yes, there is no Lord Zedd there).

Bottom line, the bad guy is the meat of this season, lol.
Score: 6/10

Seventeenth, Dairanger (1993). Man, what a half-thought of season!

Any series is supposed to attract your interest with a few good initial episodes and imposing villains. This was complete crock! All the monsters are plain laughable and the otherwise evil leaders look like circus clowns. And the funnier thing is that they are not evil dudes by some circus, they are supposed to be an evil tribe of monsters from the center of the Earth (yes, it’s like Maskman). Well the only thing they managed to do is making me facepalm with their awful looks and generic motives. The evil emperor is performed by the same actor as Doctor Man but he is way lame to care as before.

The American version used only the mecha and the uniforms in the Lord Zedd seasons and none of the villain uniforms. I congratulate it for that; Zedd is a hundred times cooler than these clowns.

In all this is a terrible season that alienates you almost right away.

Eighteenth, Kakuranger (1994). Now that’s more like it!

This time the theme was ninjas and a yukai monster; which was very cool (although just a slight variation of Dynaman). And the villains were scheming amongst themselves and the final boss was NOT their long defeated leader.

The villains were nowhere near Man/Bantora level so it lost steam there.

The American version used the villains and the monsters as Rita’s family as well as the next power up for the Rangers. Not a bad move.

In all this is an ok season but not as good as my favs so far.

Nineteenth, Ohranger (1995). Basically Denjiman but with mechanical aliens and no major plot twists but improved visuals and action.

The robots here are just evil machines and this makes it harder to like them more than the greatness that were the villains in Bioman or Liveman.

The American version used the footage almost entirely and the villains were even supposed to overthrow Lord Zedd and Rita. Kinda weak it worked in terms of continuity.

Equal in overall to Denjiman.

Twentieth, Carranger (1996)… lol a parody of the franchise. This time it is almost like a comedy with the heroes being forced to defend Earth and the villains having really pitiful motives. Other than that it is almost devoid of an overall plot and the humour is definitely weak by today’s standards. I could predict half the jokes and I have seen far too better parodies elsewhere. Sunred comes to mind first.

The American version used the villain costumes and added that female space pirate that somehow took over from where the Machine Empire left off. In both versions, this was a very boring part.

In all this is different than the usual but the humour is way too simple and predictable to make it memorable. It is a weak season.

#21, Megaranger (1997). This could be great if it didn’t take itself so lightly.

The premise is like Bioman or Liveman, where an evil scientist attacks Earth from a different dimension. The army makes Rangers out of 5 random teenagers who know of a fighting videogame, working in secrecy as training simulation for the real battle with the invaders. It could become something awesome if it wasn’t so stupid. I mean, the entire military was useless to play a videogame and had to randomly look at teenagers for help? And the transformation bracelets in this one are just technology the army made. What stopped them from making a billion more? And the four of the five teenagers they finally choose are not even good with the game; they are just friends with Red who is a champion. And how on Earth does a game make you good at fighting with martial arts? And why was it so hard to find candidates if four random youths are so good in this? Or what stopped them from giving the role later to better players? The internal logic of the story is plain crap.

As for the villains, the bad scientist lacks the depth of the other two mad scientists before him.
Nope, it’s just an average to bad season.

The American version used the villain costumes as allies of Astronova.

#22, Gingaman (1998). A lukewarm season. It is about space pirates being freed and attacking Earth, which is of course defended by the Rangers. So… pirates huh? How are they cooler than demons, ghosts or witches who are also freed? … They aren’t. In fact, they are not even ghosts or demonic to explain how they are ageless. Being from space means nothing in overall. Plus, they are just … a pirate crew looting planets. Not some evil empire out to conquer the universe. And their goons, yuck, they suck in appearance. Plus, their motives and behaviours aren’t much either. And seriously, there hasn’t been any other threat in 3 thousand years and the Rangers were just there waiting for them? What a crock!

The American version used some footage during the Dark Specter season and it was a brilliant point in the series, bringing all the villains together for a mass invasion to the galaxy. Highly recommended to watch this American season.

#23, GogoV (1999). Finally, this is what a typical Ranger series should be all about. Satan trying to take over the Earth and a bunch of medics and fire fighters stomping him with a robot formed by a fire truck and an ambulance, lol. Silliness aside, this was a cool season. The heroes were not heroes only when fighting the demons but in their daily lives as well, saving lives from calamities and accidents. And the villains were satanic both in looks and performance, easily banning the season from my country’s tv, lol.

Although the visuals and the music were still average, the aesthetics are superior to previous seasons. I mean, check out the villains, they are the picture perfect image of satan. And the Mother of Evil was reminiscent of Final Fantasy 7, lol. Plus the heroes actually have an active daily life and don’t just wait around for the next monster to attack like they did in previous seasons. Plus there are some interesting twists for a change.

It is a good season. The American version was pretty similar in adaptation.

# 24, Timeranger (2000). As the name implies, it has to do with time travel. GAH HOW I HATE THAT TROPE! It’s about criminals from the future escaping prison and coming to the present (2000 during the series) and cops from the future come to capture them. Because they are only four, they accept a youth from the present as the Red leader.

Ok, this story is utter crap. Anyone with an IQ of 140 or lower easily knows that time travel is not possible. And even if it was, they keep saying they are trying to prevent the future from changing and yet on every episode they blow up buildings, affect peoples’ lives and do all sorts of meddling that is more than enough to turn the future 180 degrees around. And the youth from the present keeps trying to fight his fate of being normal and unimportant. Well someone needs to tell him that fate does not exist because the future also does not exist.

The villains are very corny and hardly threatening. Hell, they are even killed this time; they just capture them alive. Lame! Just kill the bastards; they already escaped once and cause havoc twice.

The visuals are otherwise starting to improve a lot, thanks to the wonders of technology. You even get to see short Matrix-like bullet-time scenes. Other than that, it’s a bad season.

The American version was faithful again and only changed the main villain, who in the end was captured and not killed.

#25, GaoRanger (2001). Aka, mecha Captain Planet and the Planeteers with spandex.

Yup, this time it’s about ecology. The monsters want to pollute Earth and the Rangers are the defenders of nature. Well, good luck killing most of humanity with all we are doing to it. Who needs monsters for that?

This is another sucky season as ecology is just educational propaganda. The heroes are blunt as hell, the villains one-dimensional and the story has no real twists. But I did like how the battles begin to be heavy on cgi. Although, the actual choreography sucks ass. They are supposed to be using animal moves but it all looks too artificial.

Nah, it’s too lame to bother.

#26, Hurricanger (2002). Aka, Naruto with spandex.

It’s about ninjas again, like in Kakuranger. Not simple ninjas but alien ninjas (???). And the heroes are Earth ninjas defending the planet while eating ramen datebaiyo. Ok, they are not doing that but they are taking things so light to the point you think they don’t care. The Earth is about to be destroyed and they are wondering what clothes to wear or how to beat the cocky ninja from the rival school. Plus, their mentor is a talking hamster… Some sort of appeal to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I guess. A bad one.

In all this is way too naive, even for a sentai show. We moved from Satan trying to bring Hell on Earth to alien ninjas and talking hamsters. Screw this…

#27, Abaranger (2003). The dinosaur trend is back!

Well, the visuals look ten times better than in Zyuranger and the story is equally silly (Dinosaurs attacking from an alternative Earth). But the characters, meh, none is again as memorable as Bantora. I liked how they tried to make the characters greyer at first but then I realized the changes were caused mostly by brainwashing than free will, which is a cheap way for heel turns. Also, the dinosaurs talk… which is lame.

I noticed the American version had Tommy again in the main cast and tried to make it a sequel to the days he was in the original first American season. Nice move there.

Otherwise, it is another average to bad season.

#28, Dekaranger (2004). This time it is Men in Black Spandex.

Yes, this time it is about alien criminals doing crimes on Earth and the Rangers are cops. Plus, they gave some effort to make it look like old detective stories.
And it sucks ass!

The visuals are goddamn lame. Everything is so easy to tell it’s a plastic miniature or a furry mask that doesn’t even flap its mouth. The cgi is kept at minimum, the characters are more cardboards than usual, the villains are dreadfully simplistic, there is no overall plot. I can’t believe the series dropped so low. Is it because of the recession or something? Whatever it is, it is uber lame and feels like it now aims at 5 year olds (it was 10 before, lol).

One of the most dreadful seasons. Avoid at all costs.
Score: 2/10

#29, Magiranger (2005), aka Sailor Moon and Harry Potter in spandex!

This season has by far the most dreamy visuals as of yet. This time the rangers are magicians and do lots of stuff you would expect to see in a mahou shoujo series and NOT in a sentai one. But heck, as I said it looks dreamy and that is all it matters. I give it a full score in visuals for being quite captivating in what it’s supposed to be about.

The music… sounds silly. I mean, seriously, the ending is fit for a moe comedy or something and the dialogues are straight out of Sailor Moon. Not bad but, um, not muscular if you know what I mean. I actually liked the songs and the talking but it’s not something I would expect to hear in sentai. But heck, I give sound a good score too as it was the first time after Liveman I really found the music interesting.

The story is quite corny and silly. If you have watched Sailor Moon or Harry Potter, you know what it will be all about. Plus it is quite light and cheery to the point you can show it to little girls. Otherwise, the plot is equally simplistic as any previous season.

The characters are damn naive and as I already said reminded me of Sailor Moon. Many previous teams were as silly but the magician setting was almost excusing their silliness this time around. And their enemies are goth lolitas and the Devil again. Priceless, lol. I have a thing for witches and although none is still as funky as Bantora, I’m willing to give them a bonus in the score for being so dreamy.

This is the most captivating season so far and it can be shown to little girls as well.

I also recommend the American version, titled Mystic Force. It is equally magical and yet a lot more serious in its themes.
Score: 7/10

#30, Boukenger (2006), aka Indiana Jones in spandex.

This time the rangers are looking for relics worldwide which the villains want to use as weapons for domination. Their mecha fights with pickaxe and a shovel making it look silly, while their vehicles have that too-fake-like-a-toy feeling, like in Dekaranger.

A twist is that there are several groups of villains this time so it’s like a power struggle of sorts. Other than that, this season gets boring early on as there is once again very little plot or memorable characters. And running around in ancient ruins with a pickaxe is definitely less interesting than fighting the Devil on a turbine broomstick. So it is yet another bad season.

#31, Gekiranger (2007). The Chinese Martial Arts fad is back! And this time it does not look terrible.

Unlike Dairanger, the villains look cool and the visuals are actually good. The story is otherwise typical to the most part. It’s about two rival martial arts clashing for supremacy, one for justice and the other for tyranny. No reason to state on which side the Rangers are. They also try a bit to twist things around by having a rather cheesy story of brothers clashing for vengeance and stuff.

Is it a good season? Um, no, rather average I may say. Nothing stands out too much aside from the visuals.

#32, Go-Onger (2008). Triple combo!

I never liked series about ecology or racing but this season fuses them together. A machine empire invades Earth and aims to pollute it so good racing Engines are sent to prevent that. Lol, talk about blending a lot.

Unfortunately everything else is lame as the cars look like toys once more. Plus, they talk like kids. Yuck! Villains and heroes are also one-dimensional archetypes of good vs evil, so nothing to see her.

#33. Shinkenger (2009). This time it is about samurais.

Now there is an interesting setting. The visuals are done in a way to give the impression of a feudal era during modern times and the villains are evil spirits from the river of hell. That’s more like it! The music is also rather catchy too. The series still doesn’t take itself too seriously and most of it if filler as always but it sure is more interesting than mecha with shovels and talking cars.

This is an ok season to watch and it’s a shame the characters are not that grey or multi-layered. Otherwise, they follow the formula nicely and it’s a nice season.

On a side notice, there actually is a cross over of sorts mid-story with Kamen Rider Decade. An average season that was too but very good as a tribute to all Heisei Kamen Rider shows.

Well, there are more in the making but not completed yet to say anything.

Last edited by roriconfan; 2010-10-29 at 07:55.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 07:55   Link #40
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Previous post, updated to include all seasons.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote