AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-08-28, 13:26   Link #81
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

btw, ASsassin doesnt automaticaly mean it needs ninja like stealth. It just needs a character thats good at killing.
Old 2010-08-28, 15:22   Link #82
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ Yeah, assassins are essentially hired guns, be it a sect that eats hash before every mission or a family that takes jobs. Still, I believe that assassin's creed originally intended to have strong stealth mechanics and powerful graphics.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 15:29   Link #83
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Let's get it straight , AC is awesome
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 15:37   Link #84
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The first game had a very strong "on rails" feeling that hasn't really been shaken by any of the newer titles. I liked AC1 reasonably well, but it fell victim to the hype machine and I was disappointed at first. As I played it, it grew on me.

I still think the whole premise and story is retarded, but oh well.
Old 2010-08-28, 16:08   Link #85
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
This isn't japan tho and in Tenchu you don't fuckin try to stealth in pure daylight in cities. if I saw someone running while everyone else was walking normaly. I'd assume he's either running from trouble or he is the trouble. I would most definaly take a closer look.

I played Tenchu and imo, their stealth system is easy, Can people in japan look up?
I never said Tenchu was perfect, because it isn't, but at least that part made sense. You are dressed like a killer, so people kill you first, ask questions later. The guards in Assassin's Creed are a mixture of stupidity and clairvoyance. One one hand, they let someone who is dressed like an assassin walk around in cities, yet when someone starts running, it apparently means they're murderers who need to be caught. What? Are people in the Assassin's Creed never in a hurry? I see people running every day, I don't assume all of them are running because they intent on killing someone.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 17:28   Link #86
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I never said Tenchu was perfect, because it isn't, but at least that part made sense. You are dressed like a killer, so people kill you first, ask questions later. The guards in Assassin's Creed are a mixture of stupidity and clairvoyance. One one hand, they let someone who is dressed like an assassin walk around in cities, yet when someone starts running, it apparently means they're murderers who need to be caught. What? Are people in the Assassin's Creed never in a hurry? I see people running every day, I don't assume all of them are running because they intent on killing someone.
This is true, at least for AC1. It is rather weird that you immediately become suspicious if you start running. But one could attribute it to the fact Altair is carrying a lot of weapons in plain sight, and someone running out in the middle of the street is always conspicuous. If you're running and you have a sword on your side, a huge knife on your back and some other weapons, someone's bound to pick up on it. Also, Altair's clothes are meant to make him look like a scholar, and apparently, scholars never run in the game.

But this changes in AC2. As long as you're not on a rooftop and you don't bump into soldiers or people carrying boxes......

RANTING TIME: I FIND IT F******* ANNOYING THAT THOSE PEOPLE CARRYING BOXES SHOW UP AT THE WORST TIMES. IT'S AS IF THEY'VE BEEN PUT IN THE GAME JUST TO BUMP INTO YOU AND DROP THEIR BOX THE MOMENT THEY TOUCH YOU SO THAT GUARDS PICK UP ON YOU. AND THEY MOVE ERRATICALLY LIKE THEY DON'T KNOW WHERE THE F*** THEY'RE GOING. YOU'D THINK COURIERS KNEW WHERE THEY WERE GOING BUT NOT THESE GUYS! I HATE THEM!!!!

.....nobody's gonna bother with you if you run at full speed. On top of that, Ezio doesn't exactly look too much like an assassin. There's people who go around in hoods like it's normal and his clothes are quite traditional as well.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 20:00   Link #87
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
This is true, at least for AC1. It is rather weird that you immediately become suspicious if you start running. But one could attribute it to the fact Altair is carrying a lot of weapons in plain sight, and someone running out in the middle of the street is always conspicuous. If you're running and you have a sword on your side, a huge knife on your back and some other weapons, someone's bound to pick up on it. Also, Altair's clothes are meant to make him look like a scholar, and apparently, scholars never run in the game.
If I was a guard, I would stop someone walking around with an arsenal on his back regardless of whether he's running or not. That's exactly what I'm saying, consistency would be nice. What does it matter whether I'm running or walking? I'm still a guy dressed like an assassin. You'd think slowly walking past a guard would give him more time to realize that's not a banjo strapped to my back.

So, yeah, I'm liking the consistency in AC2. Yeah, it makes things easier (along with the bazillion ways to escape guards) but at least that particular tidbit now actually makes sense.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 09:34   Link #88
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

At least with Assassins Creed 2, as partial justification for the Assassin being able to walk around with his arsenal visible is that Italy around this period was crawling with Mercenaries who all had weapons on them. So a hooded guy with partially concealed weapons wouldn't have been that much of an anomaly (If you pay attention you'll hear people muse about you being a Mercenary as you pass).

Not quite an excuse when you got Altair, whose supposed to be able to pass as a monk whose quite obviously covered in weapons.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-29, 16:13   Link #89
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Speaking of Altair, I noticed that Kojima had a bit of a present for Assassin's Creed fans. At the end of the video, you'll see what I mean:

Spoiler for MGS4 alternate costumes:
Old 2010-09-10, 13:06   Link #90
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Sorry for the double post, I'm just reviving this thread because I just experienced the craziest glitch in AC2. I was walking on a Venetian rooftop when a soldier warned me to go down. I stopped and the soldier stepped aside. All of a sudden, a hundred other soldiers just spawned out of nowhere, and the craziest part is that none of them was actually attacking me. Here's a vid

Spoiler for Spawning soldiers:
Old 2010-09-10, 15:09   Link #91
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

NUKE NUKE NUKE That was hilarious when they pushed the others and fell .
And then this is this time when we need a bulldozer
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 23:38   Link #92
Zekori

Most of the inconsistencies or guard stupidity, storywise, could be pointed at Desmond's own interpretation from the Animus since it isn't a perfect retelling. But that's basically a developer excuse for the minor flaws it has.

Otherwise, you have to remember the things we are used to in everyday life in our culture isn't the same as the cultures back then (while I'm not sure about much of the renaissance period, but an example would be that running around in the cities or town was unacceptable to the average citizen in ancient rome periods; unless you were say runner/messenger.)

So in that regard, if it is accurate, in a society where it's people do not run in the streets or in the roads but instead consider it appropriate to walk from place to place; then guards would have to take notice to someone just booking it from place to place. In their perspective it would be unusual.

Also in some periods, it was appropriate to carry a weapon on your back or the like. Mostly because it meant you were possibly a hunter. Once again, for the time line Ezio I can't say for certain, if it could be defended anyways; but I'd have to guess militia's and the like.
Zekori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 03:05   Link #93
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekori View Post
Also in some periods, it was appropriate to carry a weapon on your back or the like. Mostly because it meant you were possibly a hunter. Once again, for the time line Ezio I can't say for certain, if it could be defended anyways; but I'd have to guess militia's and the like.
A guy walking through the streets of an Italian city state carrying weapons isn't at all unusual. This is a society where duels/street fights between rival families are a not so irregular occurrence (remember that a plot premise of Romeo and Juliet is that the Montague and Capulet feud devolves into mass public sword fights all the time). And since each city state was independent and often at war with the others, they all hired mercenaries. So a man walking about with a fairly significant (if halfway concealed) arsenal of weapons, in this time period it wouldn't be immediately noted with alarm.

It's not like with open carry in the USA, where even where it's legal, doing it will probably get a person calling the cops on you to have a talk.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 12:10   Link #94
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I'd personally go for Tenchu as the best stealth game, since in Metal Gear (particularly the later ones) you can just kick the door and rain down bullets and grenades while chomping on that ration.
Granted, you can play Metal Gear 'loud', but it's not as satisfying (or economical, from a resouce standpoint)... a zero-kills, zero-alert playthrough is still a noble goal. The option (with the exception of some 'boss battles', I think) also crops up in the Deus Ex games (and it's good to see that the upcoming prequel - Human Revolution - hasn't forgotten that).

The adversarial mode looks quite interesting... if you thought the Face-Off mode from various Splinter Cell games was intense, this seems to take it up several notches. Having see the video footage, I find myself wondering about a couple of things...
  • will there be variations on a given model, such as alternative colorations and/or slightly differing outfits? What this means is that while not all the courtesans, for instance, in a given 'arena' will look exactly alike, enough will so that a player's particular model thereof won't automatically stand out.
  • a premium is already placed on covert takedowns. Will some scenarios include patrolling guards among the NPC populace? In such a case players who go for the loud flashy kills have to worry about eluding guards as well as other assassins (in SC: Conviction, there is a similar option for Face-Off which has the 'arena' swarming with guards actively hunting both players).
  • AC has, as I understand, a serviceable melee system - it would be interesting to see how well it works when all the involved combatants are actual players.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action-adventure, ps3, sandbox, ubisoft, windows, xbox360