AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-07, 15:08   Link #21
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka-neko
Well I'm a BIG fan of GTO, maybe because it was my first anime serie I watched but I still like, have rewatched it many times, bought the anime DVD's and now reading manga.
I have readed from 1-18 and waiting for more... In my country I can't buy all the mangas, they have only from 1-19 here... (more will come but later and I'm ADDICTED!)

Well it's sad to see that Onizuka is virgin still

And I think the manga has one of the world pervert-minded characters, Sakurai (that english teacher, some people messes him with the chairwoman).
the anime downplays just how perverted Sakurai really is (and neither the anime nor the manga show more than a couple scenes of Uchiyamada being perverted, and it's ALWAYS on the train...wonder why?) of course they also change his name to Sakurada, so he could be a completely different character (like the anime nurse and manga nurse...Moritaka is better than Kadena though, even if she doesn't have the street racer past)
GTO 20 will be coming out in the states in late august-early september!
Old 2004-10-09, 14:43   Link #22
Pailong

GTO - How many volumes?

hi, im not asking for it or anything i just wanna know how many volumes are there altogether of GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) and is it still ongoing in japan or is it finished?
Old 2004-10-09, 15:15   Link #23
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

25 total. Completed in Japan.
Old 2004-10-09, 15:26   Link #24
7thMethuselah

25 pieces in japan, Tokypop will release the 21st volume this month if I'm not mistaken.
Old 2004-10-10, 00:04   Link #25
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
there are also 2 prequels i am not sure if they are licensed:

1- BAD company 1 volume
2- shounan jun'ai gumi, 15 volumes
Old 2004-10-10, 05:11   Link #26
Pailong

cool thanx alot guys.

2 prequels? you sure about this? prequels of GTO?

also, do you guys know a site that has information on manga (like how many volumes there are of the manga etc) i already know dailymanga.net and mangajouhou but they arent really good for info like that.
Old 2004-10-10, 05:35   Link #27
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
I don' know much about bad compagny but I can confirm that Shonan Junai Gumi is indeed a prequel to GTO (it was written before it too). The graphic style (at least in the early volumes) is much cruder than in GTO and the humour is much more girl/fight oriented.
I have no idea as to the exact number of volumes in it but at least 20 or so (the current japanese edition is a readition where each volume contains the amount of pages from 2 regular volumes and I remember seeing at least 10 of these in a shop)...
Old 2004-10-10, 08:53   Link #28
whatever123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pailong
cool thanx alot guys.

2 prequels? you sure about this? prequels of GTO?

also, do you guys know a site that has information on manga (like how many volumes there are of the manga etc) i already know dailymanga.net and mangajouhou but they arent really good for info like that.
i am sure about this and if you look in the two sites you mentioned you might find them

and heres the proof for bad company
Spoiler:

Last edited by whatever123; 2004-10-10 at 09:08.
Old 2004-10-10, 13:50   Link #29
Kyuven

Shounan Jun'ai gumi is the story of how Ryuji and Onizuka met (and a lot about Onizuka's "Shounan Days" he refers to a lot in the GTO manga) or maybe that was bad company
Old 2004-10-10, 14:01   Link #30
whatever123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
Shounan Jun'ai gumi is the story of how Ryuji and Onizuka met (and a lot about Onizuka's "Shounan Days" he refers to a lot in the GTO manga) or maybe that was bad company
i don't know where i read this so i can't confirm it but i heard that bad company was only a special volume to the shounan junai gumi, which was later sold as it's own name

Spoiler:
Old 2004-10-11, 15:13   Link #31
Pailong

oh i see.

so it was a prequel (not bad company, the other one) written before the actual GTO manga? so it is part of GTO i guess. is it licensed?
Old 2004-10-12, 04:34   Link #32
whatever123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pailong
oh i see.

so it was a prequel (not bad company, the other one) written before the actual GTO manga? so it is part of GTO i guess. is it licensed?

yes you got it right but i am not sure if it's licensed or not
Old 2004-10-13, 13:35   Link #33
Kyuven

it's not licensed as far as i know
Old 2004-10-14, 00:00   Link #34
~*(DiminisherZ)*~
~*DiminishingZ*~

Send a message via ICQ to ~*(DiminisherZ)*~ Send a message via MSN to ~*(DiminisherZ)*~
Talking Lol~

GTO?~ Hmmm~ I think it's actually finished for a long time ago~ it's nice~ hmmm~ 25 books all~ well~ hmmm~ Shonen Jun'ai Gami?~ heard of it before~

(I guess i'm like talking to myself~ haha~ )

Old 2004-10-18, 00:29   Link #35
Hatter
Never Knows Best

What does Shonan Ju'nai Gumi translate to?
Old 2004-11-17, 10:36   Link #36
birdman damn

re:GTO manga ending

so... snoopy or anyone else who's read til the end of the manga - do Fuyutski (however u spell it) and Onizuka finally confess their feelings for each other, or is it more like the "life goes on" ending... i spose the whole point of the story was that Onizuka was a great teacher, and the anime really did that fantastically, i was really satisfied with the anime ending.

still... do they make it as a couple by the end of the manga? (i'm not talking about Onizuka losing his virginity or whatever, just if they get together:P) can someone maybe tell me what happens to the rest of the characters - dang they're all so good so please please reply even tho this is like 4 months after the last person lol...
Old 2004-11-17, 23:58   Link #37
Zero Murasame
Me+AK-74= UNSTOPPABLE

GTO is one of the greatest manga I've ever skimmed. I sometimes consider buyin it. (And that means it's really good. normally I think its a waste of money)
Old 2004-11-18, 00:51   Link #38
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman damn
so... snoopy or anyone else who's read til the end of the manga - do Fuyutski (however u spell it) and Onizuka finally confess their feelings for each other, or is it more like the "life goes on" ending... i spose the whole point of the story was that Onizuka was a great teacher, and the anime really did that fantastically, i was really satisfied with the anime ending.

still... do they make it as a couple by the end of the manga? (i'm not talking about Onizuka losing his virginity or whatever, just if they get together:P) can someone maybe tell me what happens to the rest of the characters - dang they're all so good so please please reply even tho this is like 4 months after the last person lol...
Spoiler:

With regard to the ending of the manga--I think it's just as well that it remains open-ended. I figured that the author wants to keep it open just in case if he wants to use the character again for another story.

And indeed, that much was implied in the anime version. In one interview for instance, he wondered what it would be like for Onizuka to teach in a high school in the US. I think Tohru Fujisawa was just joking around when he said that, but it also seemed that he wants to keep Onizuka free for other ideas.
Old 2004-11-18, 23:23   Link #39
JERI

What I really don't like about GTO was how it's sometimes trying to be what it's not.

I mean the way the author kept arranging Onizuka to be the dispenser of wisdom at the end of each bratty kid event, and how the manga referred more than once to the shortcomings of the Japanese educational system; they gave me the impression that the author was seriously trying to construct a social commentary - and that a street-wise, ex-delinquent teacher is his answer to those shortcomings.

It's like everytime a series of Onizuka's misbehaviours was followed by at least 4-5 pages of supposedly serious stuff, and that really doesn't work, because I don't know whether to continue reading in a critical or tongue-in-cheek attitude.

That said, GTO was an absolutely hilarious manga, and it used many techniques which are quite innovative and fun to watch (the first-person perspectives that's used everytime Onizuka met his cop friend was a perfect match for the comic undertone).
Old 2004-11-29, 21:18   Link #40
rob1out

Send a message via AIM to rob1out
What happens after GTO Anime int he manga? *spoils of cours*

I finished GTO a long long time ago... then downloaded Live Action and the drama twist of GTO was also very very good. However... I wasnt very satified with the anime simply because the anime was short ended as in it ended early in the manga. With a differen ttype of ending (him going to USA). However I was wondering what happened in the real manga. Is there any links out there?
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, shonen