AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 15 Rating
Perfect 10 27 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 34.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 17.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-21, 22:12   Link #21
VictorVV

Spoiler for episode 15 thinking:
Old 2011-10-21, 22:15   Link #22
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Don't care how random Shouma being there is but thank god he was and Ringo was saved. Yuri vs Natsume was awesome, thought it would be too easy if Natsume had the whole diary already. Like how Double H got the scarves.

Best part was the flashback with Yuri and Momoka. So now we know how the diary works. So Momoka tried to use the diary and was killed for it? Wonder what Tabuki's story is, as someone said before might be related to the scars on his hand.
Old 2011-10-21, 22:22   Link #23
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
So Momoka tried to use the diary and was killed for it?
I don't think so. I think Yuri's monologue at the end of the episode implies Momoka disappeared as a result of someone else changing fate, just like Yuri's father disappeared after Momoka changed the tower.
Old 2011-10-21, 22:41   Link #24
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

So if someone else use the diary that means either Momoka lost it or had it stolen. Unless its already someone we know who used it. Though as in the flashback she seemed overly protective of it.
Old 2011-10-21, 22:53   Link #25
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
So if someone else use the diary that means either Momoka lost it or had it stolen. Unless its already someone we know who used it. Though as in the flashback she seemed overly protective of it.
Well, we really don't know if the diary is the only thing that can derail fate. Besides, if the diary had anything to do with the subway attacks, chances are Ringo would have noticed it, don't you think? Since she had the diary for so many years and all...
Old 2011-10-21, 23:21   Link #26
Utsuro no Hako

There is something odd about the hospital scene.

Spoiler:
Old 2011-10-21, 23:25   Link #27
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
There is something odd about the hospital scene.

Spoiler:
Unless I am completely missing what you are saying. That wasn't Kanba but Shouma & Kanba's "friend". The one we see in the first episode trying to get Shouma to go with him to look at girls.

Kanba was in the hospital with Himari the whole time.
Old 2011-10-21, 23:54   Link #28
Kazu-kun

This is interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomc.net
His obsession with sculptures, particularly Michelangelo’s David which he designed a tower of, very sickeningly transferred over to surgically modifying Yuri’s body under the guise of love so that she would have, as many people speculated, something that resembles the male reproductive organ. The anime was “nice” enough to spare us the unsightly details by figuratively showing chisels instead of scalpels, but the bandages on Yuri’s arm, leg, and cheek more or less confirm that she had undergone genital reassignment surgery using skin grafts for phalloplasty — the construction of an artificial penis. Now I know this is a very “real” procedure and I have no problem treating it with the level of maturity that it requires, but I really don’t see why I’m talking about it for an anime where a young girl is coerced into undergoing it. I actually had to look up the procedure too, since I’m unsurprisingly, not familiar with the details whatsoever. I can just imagine the strange looks I would get if I told someone that an anime made me look into how genital reassignment surgery is performed. Thank you Ikuhara for that!
Old 2011-10-21, 23:55   Link #29
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Hmm...as what i understand from this episode.... When Yuri is doubted, she stopped being doubted and be awesome again
  • Shouma 's appearance was way too random, but hey Romeo, have you even tried
  • Natsume.. so much for acting cool, making plan and data collecting. You still failed the textbook trick
  • Sanetoshi earned all the credits for Himari's scarves... wondering if Hibari and Hikari knew the scarves were from Himari. Because if they do, then it won't be long before these three met up.
  • Yuri is still the center of this episode, and damn not only i forgave her for last episode, she officially became my favourite character of this series. Pingpong Natsume's bullet in the dark was something. Owned her when it comes to safe measure is another. Then not only she almost could persuade Ringo to accept her (the drug could be controversial, still it was really close to Ringo x Yuri). But then rape averted, and somehow she could stand her sanity to understand that Ringo is not Momoka. Her past was sad as hell, and her obsession toward Momoka slowly made sense. But it seems she is heading to self-destruction path to revive Momoka
  • Momoka and the diary power unfold. Based on her character design, i will not be surprise if Ringo is her incarnation (their faces are so similar, that's why Yuri like Ringo so much, i guess). But that means she is not Himari or Himari's fated person.

Edit: ^ Kazu-kun's post. I don't think you can construct something like that that easily, without medical equipments, supply and actual doctor's knowledge. I think the guess was too much on last episode theory
Old 2011-10-21, 23:55   Link #30
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I seriously think Ikuhara may be just trying to outdo himself for its own sake now. This show is like a nesting doll of sickness and bizarre. Not that I could possibly look away, mind you.

Spoiler for 15:
Old 2011-10-22, 00:07   Link #31
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

so this episode was definitely sickening, though i also took the chisel as a phallic symbol as well, and the broken bones being a result of the brutal rapes & him trying to "perfect" her as well. the reassignment surgery though is even more severely f*cked up theory. ahhh ikuhara 0___0

i did enjoy this episode though. sho's pathetic attempt to save the day was cute. i genuinely feel bad for yuri as well and i'm glad the rape plot went nowhere.

i have to say though that the little bunny that momoka saved somewhat reminded me of sanetoshi, especially with the two black bunny motifs as well. then again, unlikely that she'd save somebody as powerful as sanetoshi...

her getting "hurt" after transferring fate is definitely intriguing. maybe something to do with tabuki's scars? and i wonder how the spells fit in with how ringo was using it too.

the opening definitely hinted that kanba will be going seperate ways, kinda sad ;___; but expected.
Old 2011-10-22, 00:09   Link #32
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Edit: ^ Kazu-kun's post. I don't think you can construct something like that that easily, without medical equipments, supply and actual doctor's knowledge. I think the guess was too much on last episode theory
Well, I don't take the scene as face-value, this is Ikuhara after all. So I'm pretty sure the chisels and such were just a metaphor for the necessary medical equipment. At any rate, the skin grabs are too telling, specially since they pretty much fit with the phalloplasty procedure. There's also the fact that what her father hated of Yuri was her femininity, which is hinted at by all the female sculptures being broken, whereas the male ones are intact.

Too many hints pointing at this IMO.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
so this episode was definitely sickening, though i also took the chisel as a phallic symbol as well, and the broken bones being a result of the brutal rapes
But the thing is that there's no broken bones. Her leg at least is obviously not broken. That's why the injuries being skin grabs fits better IMO.
Old 2011-10-22, 00:18   Link #33
Kirarakim

I honestly don't think the father changing Yuri in that way is 100% definite (a possibility yes). It's obvious he physically & possibly sexually mutilated her in some way but what exactly he did is not explicitly stated, at least not yet. Everything is just implied.

But either way yes the father so far is the first completely irredeemable character in the story. Yes all the characters are messed up but I can sympathize with everyone except him.
Old 2011-10-22, 00:21   Link #34
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Well, I don't take the scene as face-value, this is Ikuhara after all. So I'm pretty sure the chisels and such were just a metaphor for the necessary medical equipment. At any rate, the skin grabs are too telling, specially since they pretty much fit with the phalloplasty procedure. There's also the fact that what her father hated of Yuri was her femininity, which is hinted at by all the female sculptures being broken, whereas the male ones are intact.

Too many hints pointing at this IMO.

EDIT:

But the thing is that there's no broken bones. Her leg at least is obviously not broken. That's why the injuries being skin grabs fits better IMO.
okay not broken bones then. however the one thing keeping me unsure about that theory is that sho clearly saw her naked as did natsume (when her towel fell off during their epic fight) so they'd obviously look shocked, right? or comment on it?

i do think the theory is plausible (and it makes the most sense considering how the father kept calling her ugly, even though yuri is a classically pretty girl along with her mother) but the non reaction from characters is unsettling.
Old 2011-10-22, 00:21   Link #35
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I honestly don't think the father changing Yuri in that way is 100% definite.
This is Ikuhara we're talking about. Of course it wasn't totally clear, and it never will. I don't think anyone here claimed otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
i do think the theory is plausible (and it makes the most sense considering how the father kept calling her ugly, even though yuri is a classically pretty girl along with her mother) but the non reaction from characters is unsettling.
You know what's unsettling about this? That it contradicts with Yuki saying there's a secret to Yuri's body. Even if that secret wasn't a penis, Shouma should have noticed it, yet he didn't say anything.... conclusion, this is a plot hole or it's meant to make everything deliberately more ambiguous.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-10-22 at 00:31.
Old 2011-10-22, 00:31   Link #36
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
This is Ikuhara we're talking about. Of course it wasn't totally clear, and it never will. I don't think anyone here claimed otherwise.

I know what's unsettling about this? That it contradicts with Yuki saying there's a secret to Yuri's body. Even if that secret wasn't a penis, Shouma should have noticed it, yet he didn't say anything.... conclusion, this is a plot hole or it's meant to make everything deliberately more ambiguous.

I don't think it's a plot hole but as you said it's meant to be ambiguous. And that was the point I was making that we don't know what her father did to her exactly; just that it was something sick & completely messed up. I'm not sure if we are supposed to know exact details (nor do I think I want to so I hope Ikuhara leaves it ambiguous and up to our imaginations).
Old 2011-10-22, 01:07   Link #37
Chase

Wow this was a great but sick episode. What a terrible father. I had to roll my eyes when Shouma comes into the room and slips on the bottle tho. The flash back was incredible too. Wasn't a dull moment for me this episode.
Battlefield 4
Old 2011-10-22, 01:23   Link #38
YayPepsi

Take me back to the days of penguin hats and 2 eating everything and Rock Over Japan please. This episode was good, but very disturbing. Poor little Yuri. I'm glad we got to see Momoka finally.

My favorite part was the scene with Kanba, Sanetoshi, and Himari though. What's going on with them is interesting. It was nice that Kanba showed appreciation for Sanetoshi's actions. (Even if Sanetoshi is totally up to something.) Kanba's a class act. Their little conversation was the best part of the episode.

I actually found myself liking Natsume in this episode. So far she'd been my least favorite, but she's just so over the top! She's growing on me...even her silly catchphrase.
Old 2011-10-22, 01:30   Link #39
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Momoka finger injury, was it cause by a small spark of fire?

Dairy reality wrapping, did it restore Yuri body manipulations from her father?

I can't help, but to think that, Ringo might sacrifice herself later in the series. I hope it does not happen.
Old 2011-10-22, 01:34   Link #40
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
Take me back to the days of penguin hats and 2 eating everything and Rock Over Japan please. This episode was good, but very disturbing. Poor little Yuri. I'm glad we got to see Momoka finally.
I love the series and I don't mind the darkness or drama (I knew it was going to come even told people this when they said it was just a silly comedy).

However I could definitely do without these sick twists & attempted rape scenes. I am sure they aren't over yet but let's just say it's one thing I don't exactly enjoy about the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbeeE
Lately, regarding Ringo possible sacrifice later on, I hope it does not happen.
I hope not either; I want Ringo to have a happy ending (with Shouma). Of course I don't know what will happen with this series but I don't think Ringo sacrificing herself is set in stone.

In fact I find it interesting that she is no longer being completely engulfed by the flames in the new opening.