AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-02-07, 03:45   Link #61
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You are effectively a Privateer; you commit piracy against a foreign invader under the approval of Earth's government.
And a racketeer too.......I hijack the aliens' Elerium and sell them back to them through their controlled government.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 05:22   Link #62
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
And a racketeer too.......I hijack the aliens' Elerium and sell them back to them through their controlled government.

"We nicked a super tanker and asked for 25 million quid!"

Actually, at least you are more ethical than I was when playing Apocalypse. I spent more time being a druglord than being a defender of the city.

EDIT: the recent interviews made it clear that Fraxis is well aware of X-com's history of tolerating unethical behaviour. Mainly because when you are the only thing between the human race and their annihilation, you are given some leeway in being a heartless bastard.

I am currently paying TFTD, and I feel a bit dirty to MC the aliens, have them line up in a neat line, then have rookies pelt them with darts so they suffer a slow and painful death. All so my rookies can get experience. In UFO it was even worse as I could remove all their weapons. In that case, I just herd the Mutons into a tiny shed, then leave them there fully concious while I bring each of them out one at a time for execution.
Old 2012-02-07, 07:24   Link #63
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

How many tried this tactic before?

In order to save money, you would purposely transfer your scientist to another location before the end of the month. Because they were being transfer, they didn't get paid.
Old 2012-02-07, 08:00   Link #64
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
How many tried this tactic before?

In order to save money, you would purposely transfer your scientist to another location before the end of the month. Because they were being transfer, they didn't get paid.
More work than it's worth, in my mind. It requires that you have two bases and enough empty beds to allow the transfer. By the time I have a second base set up, I would have a full engineering team working 24/7 making craft weapons to sell for a profit.

More importantly, I don't like the idea of scientists stop working for any reason, even if only for a day or two. In early game it is more important that all the research is done as fast as you can.

An update on my current TFTD game; I am arguing with myself if I should allow the lobstermen aliens to build a base in the Mediterranean. All logic state that I should; it means regular zerbite AND lobstermen for reaction training for my rookies. And the Dreadnought that would appear guarantee that I get my final Lobsterman Commander to get the final research upgrade. But deep down my irrational side is kicking and screaming, telling me that I should shot down the scout ship. Silly, huh?
Old 2012-02-07, 08:29   Link #65
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I don't know. SElling the Elerium back? It still seems like a bad idea...especially when you consider how you can only get the stuff through raiding, and how much other schwag is in a UFO.

Even if you discount the Elerium from the supply ship (750k), the sell worth of a Supply ship still ranges from 4-6 million. When you're getting that much I'm not sure it's worth to sell the Elerium.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 08:34   Link #66
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I don't know. SElling the Elerium back? It still seems like a bad idea...especially when you consider how you can only get the stuff through raiding, and how much other schwag is in a UFO.

Even if you discount the Elerium from the supply ship (750k), the sell worth of a Supply ship still ranges from 4-6 million. When you're getting that much I'm not sure it's worth to sell the Elerium.
The issue is that you will eventually run out of room in your bases. Unless you go mad and burn elerium by having all your ships do laps around Earth, elerium supply ship piracy can seriously flood your stores. I haven't even done the base trick and only played normally, and yet I still have 50% of all my warehouses filled with elerium.

The thing is, once you are used to conserve elerium you never get used to spending it. I am still unwilling to use elerium to make ammunition, for example. And I still use Earth vehicles for most missions to save fuel. I just don't feel comfortable changing the habit that I gained in the initial stages of the gameplay.
Old 2012-02-07, 08:44   Link #67
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

To be fair, for most kinds of ammo (heavy plasma) you really shouldn't have to manufacture that kind of stuff. Just regular combat will ussually net you plenty of it. The only stuff I would think you would have to manufacture yourself would be blaster bomb ammo.

But yeah. If your supply bases are LITERALLY overflowing with the stuff, then you'd probably sell it off with the schwag.
Old 2012-02-07, 09:13   Link #68
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

The problem is when you get used to raiding supply ships for money and stuff, your stores will be literally flooded.

And I always raid supply ships whenever they land, keep the Elerium and Plasma weapons, then sell the rest. Then the problem arises when I have so much Elerium that I can start selling them too. Same goes for the Alien alloys.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-02-07, 09:18   Link #69
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
To be fair, for most kinds of ammo (heavy plasma) you really shouldn't have to manufacture that kind of stuff. Just regular combat will ussually net you plenty of it. The only stuff I would think you would have to manufacture yourself would be blaster bomb ammo.

But yeah. If your supply bases are LITERALLY overflowing with the stuff, then you'd probably sell it off with the schwag.
My current TFTD game sort of encourages making ammo. The lack of lase weapons and the flaws of the common Sonic cannon means the two best guns in the game, Sonic pistol and sonic blasta rifle, would need ammo made unless you abuse Mind Control and make every alien walk towards you where they can get power drilled to death.

EDIT: Just cleared out an entire Dreadnought using nothing but mind control and power tools. See alien with scout, mind control alien with backup soldiers, alien march towards scout, scout poke alien with the pointy thing. I even captured the commander using his own stun bomb.

EDIT2: Just found out the aliens built their base right next to the Vatican. Hope the aliens can tolerate their new neighbours, because they are going to be there for a very long time. I guess the reason why I am finally trying the supply raid trick after so long, because I am now too powerful and sink all the scout ships. So all the major missions just don't happen anymore. This alien base would keep my zrbite stocks up. I am also sick of tasoths, so regular lobsterman missions would be great.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2012-02-07 at 13:09.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 14:00   Link #70
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorOfLife View Post
Excellent. An X-Com game would be very welcome. I remember X-COM (when it was still called UFO) 1's tension was actually pretty high. The aliens could pop up and kill you with one shot at the beginning of the series when you had nothing and the sounds of doors beyond the cloud of war opening and closing got the blood flowing. The last 2 X-Com style titles (the UFO series) were much less enjoyable.
Yeah just walking into a building and getting immediately shot dead upon entry was a pretty common occurance in that game. It basically forces you to save state before even attempting it. Either that or blow a hole in the wall or hope for the best. A lot of that game came down to good scouting and being aware where enemies were before they were aware of you. Rushing into situations was guaranteed to get you killed almost every single time.

Also was it me or were the Chrysalids by far the most dangerous enemy in that original game? I mean getting all that movement plus the power to instantly kill you, plus multiple attacks, plus having a decent amount of armor AND on top of all that turning you against your own guys just seems like a little too much of an overwhelming advantage for what was supposed to be a second tier terror unit. I was actually kind of relieved once they started showing up less and I just had to deal with Mutons and Ethereals.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 21:35   Link #71
FateAnomaly

There are times where just alighting the ship get you shot at.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 22:55   Link #72
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yeah it is always a bad sign when your tank gets blowup before it can leave the ramp.
Old 2012-03-06, 08:59   Link #73
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

NEW TRAILER! INGAME TACTICAL FOOTAGE! BASE FOOTAGE!

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Fucking Sectoids creeping. Operators popping ET's and buildings left and right. Mutons Berserking and fucking my guys shit up.

the majority of all my misgivings have evaporated.

rock paper shotgun article.

CHANGE MY PITCH UP SMACK MY BITCH UP!

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-03-06 at 09:15.
Old 2012-03-06, 11:12   Link #74
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Also related:
XCOM: Enemy Unknown Puts You in Command of the "Most Elite" Military Force in the History of the World

How a Rabid XCOM Fan Became The Designer of Enemy Unknown
Old 2012-03-06, 11:32   Link #75
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I saw the Polish flag, the Stars & Stripes and the Union Jack.

Where is the rest of the world? AND WHERE ARE THE RUSSIANS? You can't have an Xcom game without Russians!

Old 2012-03-07, 04:40   Link #76
Dragonkid11
A random-man

Quote:
NEW TRAILER! INGAME TACTICAL FOOTAGE! BASE FOOTAGE!

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Fucking Sectoids creeping. Operators popping ET's and buildings left and right. Mutons Berserking and fucking my guys shit up.

the majority of all my misgivings have evaporated.

rock paper shotgun article.

CHANGE MY PITCH UP SMACK MY BITCH UP!
Oh God,that was awesome

Muton got even more beastly...
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 07:16   Link #77
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Oh JESUS CHRIST SECTOPODS AND CHRYSLIDS!
Old 2012-06-08, 09:43   Link #78
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Hmmm so is it something akin to old Commandos game then?

Seems those are some rather specific roles they got.

Unless this is purely just show casing?

Not sure if I'm happy with only a 4 man squad, won't quite feel the same as before(since I'm actually playing the old game these days, great fun)
Old 2012-07-27, 05:12   Link #79
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

2k Games Forum: Take a look at the Elite Soldier Pack

Basically, here's what you get for preordering:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k Greg
Hey guys,

Today I am happy to give you an ultra-high resolution render that shows off some of the stuff you'll get in the Elite Soldier Pack. I know some of you wanted a better look at what you'll get for pre-ordering, so here it is in all its glory. (for information on what the Elite Soldier Pack is and how to get it, see the official thread.)

From left to right we've got female Hyperion Armor, Reaper Armor, Heavy Carapace Armor, female Hyperion Armor again, and finally of course the original X-COM soldier with flattop haircut in Reaper Armor. Some of those have been color customized, which is part of what the Elite Soldier Pack gets you.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 05:34   Link #80
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Ahhh so much joy to see X-Com getting a proper turn based tactical rpg treatment again and none other from Firaxis studio.

Then again, that game gave me so much effing pain back in the olden days whenever i lose one of my super soldiers (they had stat bars that went out of the character screen) to those friggin chrysalids and turn me into a save/load OCD gamer when i was young.

Loving what I've seen so far. Can't wait to assemble my super female amazon squad of xenocidal marines.

Tags
science fiction, turn-based strategy