AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 12 19.35%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 41.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 32.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 6.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-06, 00:46   Link #21
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

It really seems like they're trying to do something interesting in this arc. I just can't tell where they're going though. It seems that everyone is being affected in some manner except for Oreki. Chitanda is becoming exhausted constantly going around and asking questions, Satoshi seems to be tired of his role as only the database, and Ibara seems to be getting more and more fed up at the abuse she's getting in the Manga Club. There's also the mystery which, to a non-mystery reader like me, gets more and more obfuscating as the arc goes along.

I really want to know where they're going, because everything in this arc has been interesting to me. I want to see where everything will develop and how it will affect each character.
Old 2012-08-06, 01:08   Link #22
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
After the water was spilled on Ibara, did she mention the clothes belong to someone? I didn't get what she was muttering about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaki

Had to wear these for the mandatory cadet corps practice in high school for about a year. Quite similar to the one Ibara was wearing. The material is really thick and you start sweating like hell when under the sun but you hardly notice it getting wet since the color of the uniform is pretty dark
Old 2012-08-06, 01:37   Link #23
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

So we finally see the connection between the manga club/Mayaka/the doujin and this incident. I have to say that is probably the only thing I don't like about this episode if this is all there is to it. The fact that Mayaka's favorite's manga just happened to be the one is a little cheating for a mystery, I think. Well, looks like we're still in the "early" part of the mystery so maybe it's forgivable.

What I like is I think this episode reinforce the idea that a detective's characteristics are divided among the members. Houtarou has the analytic skill, Eru the curitosity*, and Satoshi has the investigating skill. Satoshi may feel defeated in this episode, but I think the conversation in the club room shows that Houtarou is totally helpless without someone feeding him information. I think by the end of this arc he'll realized that the result is their work, not only Houtarou's.

Houtarou finally developed the first counter to Eru's "Kininarimatsu." Though I agree that I'm not seeing a reason why he don't want her to hear it and why he think she won't let him do what he want to do. Did he think that she'll start dragging him around to investigate? Or did he think that she won't agree to using a bait? I hope we get a proper explanation.

And Eru met Tomoe! I'm not sure why I'm excited by that. Also, I think now we can ruled out Tomoe as the mastermind. Looks like she was curious about the doujin's authors next work and now already figured out the whole thing so she's helping her brother. Maybe she'll show up at the end to explain some loose end again.

*The rover landed! (https://twitter.com/MarsCuriosity/st...48380431544320)
Old 2012-08-06, 01:46   Link #24
ilovejavachip

Was it just me or was Chitanda really hoping for Oreki to praise her for being able to take part in the Broadcast Club's show?

I also love how Chitanda's eyes turned very dark and dull when Oreki says it was "a very adult topic."
Old 2012-08-06, 02:26   Link #25
Lota

I loved this episode. I can't tell how many times I caught my self laughing out loud When Chitanda was trying to get the manga, Oreki's expression was priceless XDD And the "adult topic" bit, her eyes turning darker and darker XDDD

Aaaaanyway, it was fun. I found this arc quite interesting and I get what they're trying to do here, but I guess next episode will end it, right? Looking forward to the next arc! But, before that, I hope Satoshi does something about this Mayaka incident. I don't think she'll be able to handle this on her own, and was I the only one who noticed the change in Satoshi's expression when Mayaka came with the gym clothes? (God I love how everything is detailed here)

Also, I sort of feel bad for Satoshi. He, like I am, is a jack of all trades, master of none, so I get how he is annoyed by that, I just hope he gets better, because, right now, he is sort of painful to watch...

Anyway, really looking forward to next weeks episode!
Old 2012-08-06, 03:00   Link #26
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I was wondering just what Mayaka's manga club situation had to do with this mystery. Finally getting something to consider. Maybe the group broke up and one member is trying to create that manga in real life. Regardless I'm not surprised Mayaka just walked on out. There is only so much a person can take. Better to just walk off before she blew up and beat up that girl. She may have only been attempting to mess with her a little, but the fact that she wasn't paying attention lead to that major accident. This manga club stuff is getting insane. In Mayaka's place would pretty much tell the president to sort out her club and until she does I'm out. No point being in a club just to get harassed like this.

You can see Satoshi really starting to come unhinged. Really felt unnatural when he went behind that 'normal' behavior after almost jumping Houtarou. First had that miss in the early part of the episode which really bothered him. But then the idea that Houtarou might have figured this case out when he was sure he couldn't also had him really upset. Hope this arc will end alright for him. Really wonder where his character is going to go.

Well congrats to Chitanda's breasts since they forced Houtarou to give in this time . Even Satoshi was laughing at this one. Just keep making it more obvious series regarding Houtarou's interest in Chitanda. Do wonder though why he thought Chitanda wouldn't let him do what he wanted in this case. Do agree that part of his motivations is not wanting to mess up again so he turned to Satoshi rather than the whole group.

Regardless Chitanda looks exhausted. Wonder how far she can go without passing out in this arc. Though maybe the best part was when her eyes shut down after the mention of an adult topic .

Anyways if next episode wraps this up that's just fine. But do wonder where everyone is going to end up since this arc in some ways has rocked most members of the Classics Club.
Old 2012-08-06, 03:48   Link #27
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejavachip View Post
Was it just me or was Chitanda really hoping for Oreki to praise her for being able to take part in the Broadcast Club's show?

I also love how Chitanda's eyes turned very dark and dull when Oreki says it was "a very adult topic."
She was from the looks of it and you also get hints of this from Satoshi and Mayaka.

That is a topic she is not at the moment curious about. Yet .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
You can see Satoshi really starting to come unhinged. Really felt unnatural when he went behind that 'normal' behavior after almost jumping Houtarou. First had that miss in the early part of the episode which really bothered him. But then the idea that Houtarou might have figured this case out when he was sure he couldn't also had him really upset. Hope this arc will end alright for him. Really wonder where his character is going to go.
Regardless Chitanda looks exhausted. Wonder how far she can go without passing out in this arc. Though maybe the best part was when her eyes shut down after the mention of an adult topic .
Agree. And I hope so too. But taking it to account his "Dont let us down, Houtarou" It may not.

I guess now Chitanda will realize the benefit of Orekis life style of conserving energy.
Old 2012-08-06, 04:05   Link #28
Zeross

I'm a little annoyed by satoshi behaviour. I can understand he is jealous of oreki but he must understand that there are things you are good at and things you are not.

He must know that oreki's lack of knowledge/information ih his weakness and he is here for that.

You can't excel in everything, and trying too hard to be good at something you are not while ignoring your own strong points is a bad move for me

Also glad that oreki invested some points in chitanda-resistance. I hope he stop beiing just dragged around and start doing things because he want to.
Old 2012-08-06, 04:08   Link #29
sky black swordman

Now that I think it was in episode 14 or 15 that Satoshi decide to do it on his own . That scene when he was " I, NO, and maybe ".
Old 2012-08-06, 04:12   Link #30
Skane
Anime Snark

Tomoe is trolling Houtarou. She read the headline article about the thefts and basically gave him the key(manga) to solving the mystery. Apparently, she already knows who the culprit is...

Natch.
Old 2012-08-06, 04:56   Link #31
rulfo

Hahaha. Oreki's attempts at fending off Chitanda. One failed(but had it's own merits ) and the other one worked like a charm.

I just lost it when Chitanda's face was shown.

Anyway, Satoshi's really getting more and more desperate to break the mystery. It seems like Satoshi's competitive nature is even more dominant than I had imagined.

Another thing that caught my attention is when Chitanda saw Oreki's sister. She said it's like she saw somewhere before. I hope it's NOT because they're siblings it'll be a tad disappointing in my case.

Last edited by rulfo; 2012-08-06 at 05:53.
Old 2012-08-06, 07:19   Link #32
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype_sky View Post
You're forgetting he messed up the last mystery so maybe he doesn't want to commit to this one and fail again in front of the girl he's trying to impress, taking another blow to his fragile ego, especially if his sister might be pulling the strings behind the scenes again.
Your assumption is incorrect. And I don't see it in the same way. It seems to me more like, being his pompous git self, he thinks Chitanda and Mayaka have absolutely nothing to offer, so why bother including them, whereas he knows he can milk Satoshi's data-banks for information that might aide him. Perhaps Irisu's evil influence has had a morally corrupting effect on him.

He still doesn't seem to realize that, without the disparate, but equally important qualities that each of the other members of the club possess, he is completely useless, and could not solve these problems on his own. Pompous git.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
So you rather have Chitanda as MC over Hotaro running around doing cute stupid things for 15mins? NO thanks. We got too many shows like that already. I don't hate her or anything, but the impression i get is an elementary student trapped in an adults body.
You sure do sound like you hate her. And, yes, I would much rather watch Chitanda for 15 minutes running around, talking to people and doing cute stupid things, than watch Mr Grumpy sit there being bored and doing nothing for 15 minutes. Watching Mr Grump being himself is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

What really baffles me is that there is so much hate for Chitanda, who would not intentionally hurt, deceive, or ridicule someone else, but there is so much love, not only for Mr Grumpy, but also for his sister, who seems to thrive on the misery and misfortunes of others, particularly her brother. What a world we live in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype_sky View Post
I guess his sister is the brown hair girl from Ben-To
I first mentioned this similarity back in the episode 12 thread, and there was some discussion as to why, but there really hasn't been a satisfactory explanation yet for hiding her face. Perhaps my "hideously ugly" suggestion might be right, afterall. Or perhaps the animators can't come up with a face that looks so similar, but not identical, to Mr Grumpy's that Chitanda feels like she has seen it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well congrats to Chitanda's breasts since they forced Houtarou to give in this time . Even Satoshi was laughing at this one. Just keep making it more obvious series regarding Houtarou's interest in Chitanda.
The only thing about Chitanda that Mr Grumpy likes is her boobs. He doesn't like her. He's not nice to her. He treats her like a dog. He's just like any other perverted harem MC, only seeing women as sex objects.
Old 2012-08-06, 07:39   Link #33
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Houtarou has finally found an effective way to turn off Chitanda's hypno eyes. That's not a technique he can use all that often though.

I'm also starting to get annoyed by Satoshi's attitude. I know he's got an inferiority complex, but geez...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
anyone identified the costume mayaka wearing? is it the costume that ranma wearing when he/she first met akane?
She was cosplaying as Mariko Senri from Rainbow parakeet (the club president mentioned the title of the manga).
Old 2012-08-06, 08:46   Link #34
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
The only thing about Chitanda that Mr Grumpy likes is her boobs. He doesn't like her. He's not nice to her. He treats her like a dog. He's just like any other perverted harem MC, only seeing women as sex objects.
Lol, now I know for certain you're grasping at straws.
Old 2012-08-06, 09:06   Link #35
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Your assumption is incorrect. And I don't see it in the same way. <...>
His assumption is not incorrect. As you rightly said in the second sentence, he's just seeing things differently from you.
Let's be intellectually honest here: his assumption might be incorrect according to your fully subjective interpretation of Oreki's character, but it's perfectly logical according to prototype_sky's.

I tend to agree with prototype_sky here by the way. I don't find anything pompous about Oreki's character; rather he seems like an insecure introvert to me. His apparent grumpiness (and "energy-saving" excuse) is his way of dealing with what he thinks is his inability to deal with others (and yes, that is my subjective interpretation ).
The only moment he seemed to have any self-confidence was when he got praised by Irisu... and then got promptly shot down, crashed and burnt the following episode.
Eru is someone he is unable to manage once she gets interested in something. Considering how tenuous his leads in the case were when he talked to Satoshi, it's not surprising he would want to keep them to himself for now.

Note that he explained quite clearly why he thought Chitanda would get in his way: not because he's a misogynist or whatever, but because he thinks she would disagree with and oppose his way of doing things. Oreki even admits to himself that he normally would have to rely on the rest of the club.
Old 2012-08-06, 09:07   Link #36
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think the reason Houtarou revealed his ideas to Satoshi privately is because Houtarou didn't want to get roped into a full-fledged investigation again.

Houtarou knows that if he reveals some interesting mystery-related ideas to the curious Eru, and the industrious Mayaka, that they'll demand for him to take his ideas all the way to a full-fledged mystery solution. But this is a case that Satoshi is quite willing to resolve on his own, so if Houtarou shares some of his ideas with just Satoshi, he can then hope for Satoshi to resolve this on his own.

That being said, Houtarou was a bit rude to Eru in this episode. He does come off as pretty condescending at times, even if it is unintentional.

And honestly, this arc is starting to drag a bit for me now. I initially found Mayaka's issues with the Manga Society From Hell pretty interesting, but now I just want them resolved already. At this point, the Manga Society From Hell's outright bullying of Mayaka is starting to veer on unintentional comedy in how over-the-top it is.

This arc has done loads of good for Mayaka and Satoshi, but it's really time to start cluing things up with this arc, imo.
Old 2012-08-06, 09:14   Link #37
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

FredFriendly confirmed for troll, 1/10.

As for the episode, I liked how they randomly showed characters from earlier episodes like the knife girl from the film arc when Mayaka and Eru were talking about the poster. The latter bonking the mic at the end was pretty funny as well.

Overall I like the 'mystery' parts as much as I like the SoL parts of this arc (or the show in general).
Old 2012-08-06, 09:38   Link #38
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
lol they put in the same sound effect for Chitanda's chest as they use for her eyes.
That was a brilliant sound cue. Hats off to whoever made that call. I notice that while Chitanda fails miserably when she tries to use Irisu's suggestions on how to influence people, she's still got an arsenal of accidental persuasive power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
anyone identified the costume mayaka wearing? is it the costume that ranma wearing when he/she first met akane?
Mayaka, again with the deep cuts! This time the club president name-drops her costume's source: Osamu Tezuka's "Rainbow Parakeet", the story of the eponymous actor/thief. A timely choice. Mayaka is dressed as Senri Mariko, the daughter of Police Inspector Senri. She's charged with catching the master mimic/thief Rainbow Parakeet, but also falls in love with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejavachip View Post
I immediately thought of this:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-08-06, 10:12   Link #39
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

While I admire Mayaka for preventing herself from descending into monstrous anger, I really think she ought to do something about it. I got angry and frustrated on her behalf. If someone were to do that to me, I am just going to calmly say to them to grow up instead of pulling off cheap tricks.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
Old 2012-08-06, 10:14   Link #40
whitecloud

im thinking more of the line...

Chitanda : (i see now oreki keeping secret from me...)

Oreki : (finaly the geass is no more)

be careful oreki when she become her girlfriend yandere potential can become very high....

P.S : in this episode chitanda using geass plus body seduction technique...super efective...oreki almost down for the count

P.P.S : i wonder if the BD package will include the manga corpse by the evening i want to read it...just sayin... it well drawn espc on the front cover girl
Closed Thread