AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-04-17, 22:15   Link #1
wontaek

2007 SaiMoe Speculation

Since last Saimoe was for shows from July 1st 2005 to June 30th 2006, I believe we have now seen all the contenders for the upcoming SaiMoe tournament. I wonder who do you think will make it to Elite 8 and which anime series will be the dominant series this time. I think, when considering quality, quantity, and popularity, Kanon and Nanoha series will send multiple characters into Elite 8. For a dark horse series, the new series 'Sola' has attracted much attention, both positive and negative, and may do well, since the series will end very close to the start of the tournament. Hayate series can also be a dark horse, especially with super maid 'Maria'. The following are my elite 8 picks, in no particular order

1. Minase Natuki ( Kanon ) : many Nayuki fans want some form of validation
2. Misaka Shiori ( Kanon ) : Some claims her to be embodiment of moe
3. Reinforce ( Nanoha ) : many can't get enough of her. May create several new memes
4. Fate/Hayate/Nanoha ( Nanoha ) : at least one of them will make it, as they have dominated the Saimoe of the past.
5. Shihou Matsuri ( Sola ) : The animators are doing everything they can to make her appear moe
6. Siesta ( Zero no Tsukaima ) : Bath Tub scene. She also has multiple clones in other series like Shiori and Hagiwara Yukiho ( Idolmaster Xenoglossia ). Finally, it is almost unthinkable that there won't be a Horie Yui character in Elite 8.
7. C. C ( Code Geass ) : Pizza Hut?!
8. Somebody from Otome wa Boku ni Koi Shiteru or Negima: Granted there are lots of quality characters in these series, but these series had their share of haters, and Negima characters are tweeners since they are neither loli( elementary school looking ) nor high schoolers, while the most famous characters from Otome is actually a he, and the best candidates ( Takako and Shion ) lacks screen time, so only one will likely make it here.
Old 2007-04-18, 00:11   Link #2
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I personally don't really care for the Saimoe tournament. Useless waste of anime talk. IMO.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 00:24   Link #3
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Wow, is it that time of year already? I'd expect the Nanoha girls to dominate again this year. Nanoha, Fate or Hayate, any of those three could easily win, so that's where my early money would go.

My optimistic wish is for a Kanon girl to win (preferably Ayu, but any would be fine). I'd expect a few of them would go far, but I'd be surprised if one of them won the whole thing.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 01:18   Link #4
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Theres Touka form Touka Gettan
Old 2007-04-18, 01:23   Link #5
Question
Crossdresser

Small boss wins probably. These "contests" are more about how popular their show is rather than actually winning based on the characters. And StrikerS is pretty damn popular right now......probably the most popular show of the season.

Kyon managed to beat Archer in SaiGar and he is the very opposite of "bad ass". He won that match up because his show was like 10 times more popular than F/SN.
Old 2007-04-18, 09:25   Link #6
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I personally don't really care for the Saimoe tournament. Useless waste of anime talk. IMO.
Amen to that. It's usually rendered moot by bloc voting and proxy votes, not to mention a whole bunch of flaming that sucks all the potential fun out of it. Plus I'm not sure its entirely necessary. It'd come down to a bitching contest between Kanon and Nanoha fans anyway. Somebody should do one parody of last years one called the SaiGar contest though and that should be it.

Edit: Oh wait they did. Master Asia almost won by just a few votes, but he had to take on Guts so its alright.

Also
Quote:
These "contests" are more about how popular their show is rather than actually winning based on the characters.
Yep, because people don't seperate the individual character from the show, thus by that logic if Fate's mother were entered into a competetion and had to take on somebody like Nunally Lamperouge, she would probably win (Fate's mother that is).
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 11:43   Link #7
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Amen to that. It's usually rendered moot by bloc voting and proxy votes, not to mention a whole bunch of flaming that sucks all the potential fun out of it. Plus I'm not sure its entirely necessary. It'd come down to a bitching contest between Kanon and Nanoha fans anyway. Somebody should do one parody of last years one called the SaiGar contest though and that should be it.

Edit: Oh wait they did. Master Asia almost won by just a few votes, but he had to take on Guts so its alright.

Also

Yep, because people don't seperate the individual character from the show, thus by that logic if Fate's mother were entered into a competetion and had to take on somebody like Nunally Lamperouge, she would probably win (Fate's mother that is).
One thing i notice last years contest wasn't so much the most popular series wins.

This is what i notice:

The pre/early rounds belong to which show/character is most popular. The middle rounds turn into a matter of matchups. And the later rounds was a match of the least un-popular girl with the show that has the least amount of negativity.

The block voting didn't annoy me that much it was the I will vote for girl A because girl B beat my favorite girl in a pervious round.

As for the contenders this year:

Top Tier:
Nanoha and Fate (specially Fate should be storng this year)
Kanon girls (huge fandom backing, especially when the settle down on one candiate)
Rozen Maiden - 2 years in a row it come down to a magical lolis and tsundere dolls. I see Final Four match at the least this year.
Shana - She did suprisingly well last year making it into the final four. With a new movie coming out and 2nd series plan later this year the fandom should be up and running.
Code Geases - Bloody Princess, Pizza hut CC and nipple shower shot Kallen should do well.

2nd Tier
Mai-Otome girls - Ongoing OAV should keep the fandom interested but OAV 3 and 4 better have something explosive.
Zero No Tsukima - Cute Tsundere Lolis are always a threat but the lack of anything new will hurt. Will have to depend on the novels to carry the series.
Aria Girls - Didn't suprisingly well last year but lack of anything new will hurt

Dark Horse:

Touka Getta - Touka FTW

Who could resist

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2007-04-18 at 12:19.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 11:49   Link #8
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
2. Misaka Shiori ( Kanon ) : Some claims her to be embodiment of moe
something that i will happily agree :3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
THe block voting didn't annoy me that much it was the I will vote for girl A because girl B beat my favorite girl in a pervious round.
thru that which makes the voting rather pointless...*sigh* its not really worth playing if things are turning that way ~ like i said before its better to go into each round with a clean slate...no point holding grudges >.<

my picks would be by default gin sama and fate chan (always! )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 11:51   Link #9
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Well, I have been keeping notes on who I want to vote for if SaiMoe2007 materialises. My personal list is not finalised yet, and subjected to changes.

In Alphabetical Order:
---- ----

Alice Carroll, from ARIA The NATURAL
Hiiragi Kagami, from Lucky Star
Kawasumi Mai, from Kanon(2006)
Konosaka Kirino, from Gift ~Eternal Rainbow~
Maki, from Seto no Hanayome
Shihou Matsuri, from sola

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-18, 12:16   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

These are the girls i decided to support so far:

Chikaru - Cosplay Harem collecting schjool president
Fate - MILF Fate = FTW
Mai - didn't watch kanon but lover her images in a strapless dress and i always got soft spot for girls with swords
CC - Pizza hut supports the rebellion
Touka - Kurogane doctrine FTW
Sugintou - Psycho Dolls FTW
Old 2007-04-18, 12:19   Link #11
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

When it comes to Saimoe, my current interest is seeing which girls make the "3-A Roster" (aka the final 32). For now, here's a list of shows that I have a feeling with most likely make the "final 32":

-Nanoha and Rozen Maiden. As long as there's a new series for each of them, both shows will be a big threat.

-School Rumble. With the manga still going strong, Yakumo or Eri probably has chance to make it into the final 32.

-Negima!?. Another show that has a strong manga following. I'm sure that a lot of fans are hoping for better turnouts by Evangeline and Setsuna this time around (with me also rooting for Nodoka-chan as she tries to make the Sweet 16 again).

-Kanon. Not much to say here.

-Code Geass. One of the most popular shows this year. However, that doesn't guarentee success (see Gundam SEED Destiny in the last two Saimoe tournaments)

-Manabi Straight. The loli high-school students of that show will probably make an impact when voting starts.

-Lucky Star. Konata Izumi = a character that anime fans can relate to. Expect the other girls to probably do a decent job as well.
Old 2007-04-18, 12:22   Link #12
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Now this is kind of early for such a discussion, as nominations don't begin till July.

After last year's "drama", I have low expectations for characters of the most "watched" (if not most "popular") series would get past the third round. I would be delighted if Akiko-san from Kanon gets to at least Round 3 and at least one Kanon girl make it to the Quarter Finals before succumbing to a new formidable voting block known as "anti-Kyo-Ani-ists", who are just as rabid as the Kyo-Ani fanboys, if not more rabid.

Who's letting you down? Who's getting on your nerves? Otakus, Let's play The Weakest Link (Sai-Moe version)!
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 12:33   Link #13
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Now this is kind of early for such a discussion, as nominations don't begin till July.

After last year's "drama", I have low expectations for characters of the most "watched" (if not most "popular") series would get past the third round. I would be delighted if Akiko-san from Kanon gets to at least Round 3 and at least one Kanon girl make it to the Quarter Finals before succumbing to a new formidable voting block known as "anti-Kyo-Ani-ists", who are just as rabid as the Kyo-Ani fanboys, if not more rabid.

Who's letting you down? Who's getting on your nerves? Otakus, Let's play The Weakest Link (Sai-Moe version)!
I don't see Ayu making through to the later rounds. There is too much anti-ayu fans even among the Kanon fans becuase she keeps winning in the anime.
Old 2007-04-18, 13:45   Link #14
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The ones I'll support:

From anime that were listed the last year:

- Chikaru Minamoto. It would be awesome if the Strawberry Panic Legion pull it off again.

- Kagome Byakudan. Same reason as Chikaru. It would be bad luck if she was against her sempai again.

- Mai Kawasumi.

- Akiko Minase.

- Athena Glory.

From those that are aired this year:

- Touka. Oh wait, it is a guy.

- Konata Izumi. But I don't expect too much, like Kinny, I feel there are a strong anti KyoAni faction.

- Shihou Matsuri. Mamiko Noto <3

The wild card

- Patricia Martin. I have a feeling that the jpn voting base may vote her for the same reason as Hong Meilin in one Touhou Saimoe. For the lol.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 14:01   Link #15
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
There are lots of characters I'd vote for this year. Too many, actually. f
Take Manabi Straight, for example. I'm easily moe for every main character aside from Momoha. Same goes for Marimite (OVA); Kanon isn't as bad with Nayuki, Mai, Sayuri and Kaori. Konata appeals a lot to me, as well, and we're only at episode 2 of Rakisuta..

My Would-vote-for-sure list, series-wise:

Nayuki (Kanon)
Mutsuki, Mei, Mikan (Manabi Straight)
Setsuna, Ayaka (Negima)
Suigintou (Rozen Maiden)
Matsuri (sola)
Nina (Code Geass)
Konata (Lucky Star)
Nono (Hitohira)
Miu (Ichigo Mashimaro)
Yumi, Kanako, Sachiko, Yoshino, Touko (Marimite)
Kirika (Kamichama Karin)
Mashiro (Mai Otome)
Shouko (Asatte no Houkou)
Lucia (Venus Versus Virus)
Chikaru, Tamao and Miyuki (StoPani) for sure, too, but seeing as their show has aired already a while ago, I wouldn't say they really stand a chance.
niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 15:04   Link #16
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
The ones I'll support:

From anime that were listed the last year:

- Chikaru Minamoto. It would be awesome if the Strawberry Panic Legion pull it off again.

- Kagome Byakudan. Same reason as Chikaru. It would be bad luck if she was against her sempai again.

- Mai Kawasumi.

- Akiko Minase.

- Athena Glory.

From those that are aired this year:

- Touka. Oh wait, it is a guy.

- Konata Izumi. But I don't expect too much, like Kinny, I feel there are a strong anti KyoAni faction.

- Shihou Matsuri. Mamiko Noto <3

The wild card

- Patricia Martin. I have a feeling that the jpn voting base may vote her for the same reason as Hong Meilin in one Touhou Saimoe. For the lol.
Why do I get a feeling that this will be a year for the traps in various SaiMoe tournaments?
Old 2007-04-18, 15:14   Link #17
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
Why do I get a feeling that this will be a year for the traps in various SaiMoe tournaments?
Because those are high quality traps
Old 2007-04-18, 15:15   Link #18
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwasatou View Post
There are lots of characters I'd vote for this year. Too many, actually.
Me too, but the ones I can think of right now include:

Kanon: Mai & Shiori
Manabi Straight: Momo & Mei
Ichigo Mashimaro: Anna
Lucky Star: Miyuki & Akira

And quite a few more....
Old 2007-04-18, 18:55   Link #19
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
My theory, if you are going to participate than just vote for the loli each day. There's no real way to lose or make enemies that way.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 19:13   Link #20
rooboy
Umeboshi!

That wouldn't have worked last year.

Tags
saimoe