@Utsuro no Hako

Can't you just pause the video?
Old 2011-12-10, 22:45   Link #162
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
@Utsuro no Hako

Can't you just pause the video?
Sure, but it's a PITA and breaks the flow of the story.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 06:52   Link #163
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Then just watch it once for the story and another time for the analysis. What's the actual standing of each player isn't so important IMO (for the story), they do a decent job of spoonfeeding you how you should be looking at it and what's going on (who's winning, who's losing).
Old 2011-12-11, 08:58   Link #164
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Then just watch it once for the story and another time for the analysis.
Sure, I could do that, but why, when the manga's out there and is easier to understand?

Quote:
What's the actual standing of each player isn't so important IMO (for the story), they do a decent job of spoonfeeding you how you should be looking at it and what's going on (who's winning, who's losing).
Yes, the anime does a good job of conveying that something cool just happened, but in a show where whole episodes are devoted to one hand, that's not enough for me. Compare to Chihayafuru where the rules of Karuta are laid out so well that even an American who isn't familiar with the One Hundred Poems can follow the game play.
Old 2011-12-11, 09:58   Link #165
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Yes, Saki is not supposed to teach the basics of mahjong. But the manga is not good either at depicting how games evolve. Heck, normally the games devolves to a series of chi,rons,tsumos and ron's without much explanation in between. If that's what you want you should watch Akagi instead.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 11:05   Link #166
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Akagi is pretty much a "sci-fi sport" too, but then what isn't these days.

@Utsuro no Hako

I right forgot the this is a direct adaptation from the manga.
Old 2011-12-11, 12:41   Link #167
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Yes, Saki is not supposed to teach the basics of mahjong. But the manga is not good either at depicting how games evolve. Heck, normally the games devolves to a series of chi,rons,tsumos and ron's without much explanation in between. If that's what you want you should watch Akagi instead.
I don't want Saki to be a realistic depiction of mahjong, I'm just saying the manga did a better job of making the game comprehensible. To give one example, in the anime, the term "hell wait" gets thrown around willy-nilly but you never get any idea of what it is except that it's bad and Hisa is crazy for making them a centerpiece of her strategy. The manga, however, makes clear that Hisa's passing up hands that would give her multiple options for winning in favor of those that require one specifc tile.
Old 2011-12-12, 05:50   Link #168
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Draw tiles, make a certain pattern to win. It's kind the same thing like domino only a lot harder. Same drop and picking stuff. Only the tiles are a lot more complicated and the patterns are stupidly complicated; the really fancy ones you see in Saki anyway.
I rather would compare it to a cardgame like poker, where you have to draw and discard tiles while trying to get a pattern. But the tiles that you discard can make you lose the game if your opponent needed that tile as their winning hand.
But riichi mahjong is quite complicated (not as complicated as American Mahjong though), but it's easy to learn. Because I have learned and played it competively online in less than a few weeks when riichi mahjong was more popular a few years ago.

Saki is not realistic but neither is Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku (aka Legend of Koizumi) when it comes to mahjong. Eventhough Legend of Koizumi is even more ridiculious.

edit: I agree that Saki is not meant as a means to learn Mahjong. Because it focuses more on moe and the special powers of certain characters instead of actual playing styles, tactics and safe discarding.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-12, 05:57   Link #169
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Akagi is pretty much a "sci-fi sport" too, but then what isn't these days.
What?

Its not if you have decent experiences in mahjong, you just can't believe what great mahjong player can do.
Old 2011-12-12, 06:01   Link #170
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
What?

Its not if you have decent experiences in mahjong, you just can't believe what great mahjong player can do.
Great mahjong players don't have a very specific type of luck though. Like Saki getting Rinshan Kaihou almost every time or Koizumi with his trade mark Rising sun (his variation of kokushi musou)
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 02:43   Link #171
Marina2

Am I only one who think that characters' artwork in anime looks very different from thier manga counterpart???
Old 2011-12-13, 05:06   Link #172
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Wut? It's not different at all.
Old 2011-12-25, 16:21   Link #173
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

So this a total different story and isn't actually a sequal to the first season?
Old 2011-12-25, 18:26   Link #174
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
So this a total different story and isn't actually a sequal to the first season?
As far as I know, yes its a completely separate story. I have not read the manga so I do not know how or if it will cross with the original series.
Old 2011-12-25, 18:58   Link #175
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_Nix View Post
As far as I know, yes its a completely separate story. I have not read the manga so I do not know how or if it will cross with the original series.
Correct - totally different story, but in the manga at least some of the characters pop in and out from this story line (like Saki and Nodoka).
Old 2011-12-25, 19:24   Link #176
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Oh that's good, though i heard there's not a lot of material to cover, didn't the manga start like this year?
Old 2011-12-25, 19:25   Link #177
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Correct - totally different story, but in the manga at least some of the characters pop in and out from this story line (like Saki and Nodoka).
OK so we might get cameos from the cast of the first series? Thanks for the heads up.
Old 2011-12-25, 19:28   Link #178
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Oh that's good, though i heard there's not a lot of material to cover, didn't the manga start like this year?
Correct ... they are up to chapter 5 or so, but each chapter has been long - something like 40-50 pages each (don't remember to accurately atm).

Quote:
OK so we might get cameos from the cast of the first series? Thanks for the heads up.
Yes ... and possibly a little more than cameos (just guesswork on my part here). At least I hope so!
Old 2011-12-25, 19:35   Link #179
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Yes ... and possibly a little more than cameos (just guesswork on my part here). At least I hope so!
I hope you are right. I wonder, why it was decided to animate Side-A instead of doing the national tournament Saki was leading up too?
Old 2011-12-25, 19:44   Link #180
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
I hope you are right. I wonder, why it was decided to animate Side-A instead of doing the national tournament Saki was leading up too?
Hmm ... might be a few reasons, but my immediate guess is that since the manga is moving along slowly the mangaka wants to get more chapters out before starting up Saki S2 proper.

Achiga-Hen dovetails into Saki some, but also (at least for me and remembering that there are only 5 chapters out thus far) does fairly well standing on it's own as well.

Just guesses on my part though - prolly someone who knows the whole thing better than I could give a more informed opinion.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri