AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Potential Pairing - Multiple Choice Option
Alto x VF 171 32 12.31%
Ozma x Bobby 13 5.00%
Ranka x Sheryl 42 16.15%
Sheryl x Alto 199 76.54%
Yasaburo x Alto 5 1.92%
Ranka x Ai-kun 38 14.62%
Alto x Klan 14 5.38%
Ranka x Alto 54 20.77%
Ranka x Brera 37 14.23%
Klan x Michael 101 38.85%
Ozma x Cathy 111 42.69%
Luca x Nanase 41 15.77%
Wilder x Monica 41 15.77%
Alto x VF25 37 14.23%
Yasaburo x Alto's father 10 3.85%
Alto x Brera 18 6.92%
Grace x Ranka 12 4.62%
Nanase x Ranka 21 8.08%
Sheryl x Klan 24 9.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-11, 15:38   Link #3621
justavisitor

Well if you want to use episode 19 as a dividing point, then to me, Alto running stairs like mad towards Ranka, the infamous "is that your love" from Klan, then Alto searching for every possbile hint to clear Ranka from being labeled as being "traitor" (when he sees that huge Ranka image), mad-piloting skill to save Ranka, waved at both girls, plus he still cannot choose either at the end dispite many "developement" with Sheryl, all suggested that the bond between Ranka and Alto is still there and deeper than some ppl thought.

Of course, ppl can say the episode 25 is a troll lol, but as I suggested, there are evidences to suggest that existent of the bond between Alto and Ranka and the bond is deep, deep enough to refrain Alto from choosing Sheryl, when Sheryl has Alto all by herself since ep 21?
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2008-12-11, 15:39   Link #3622
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
The focal point in all this isn't about Alto's "choice". Both girls illustrate stages in his maturation; one by drawing out his desire to define himself by conforming to an identity (that of a pilot), and the other by granting him the freedom to live as he is (his identity conforms to him). In so doing, both play an important role in his growth (one might even say that they acted as his wings, throughout the story ).
Lemme guess... Altos "youre both my wing" bla bla bla in episode 25 No offense. I like the way how you have interpret the relationship.
Old 2008-12-11, 16:36   Link #3623
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Well if you want to use episode 19 as a dividing point, then to me, Alto running stairs like mad towards Ranka, the infamous "is that your love" from Klan, then Alto searching for every possbile hint to clear Ranka from being labeled as being "traitor" (when he sees that huge Ranka image), mad-piloting skill to save Ranka, waved at both girls, plus he still cannot choose either at the end dispite many "developement" with Sheryl, all suggested that the bond between Ranka and Alto is still there and deeper than some ppl thought.

Of course, ppl can say the episode 25 is a troll lol, but as I suggested, there are evidences to suggest that existent of the bond between Alto and Ranka and the bond is deep, deep enough to refrain Alto from choosing Sheryl, when Sheryl has Alto all by herself since ep 21?
Interesting point, you're right about the whole development between Alto and Sheryl and still in the end, he's still torn on to which he wants to be with. In reality I believe he wants to be with one because of the infamous line "Because we're alone, we want to love someone." It's a difficult situation, I mean if I were in his shoes who would I really choose? even though I do prefer Ranka, I don't know what he as a character thinks so it's hard to say. Alto is really dense and I'm hoping he makes a decision sometime in the near future.
Old 2008-12-11, 19:26   Link #3624
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Interesting point, you're right about the whole development between Alto and Sheryl and still in the end, he's still torn on to which he wants to be with. In reality I believe he wants to be with one because of the infamous line "Because we're alone, we want to love someone." It's a difficult situation, I mean if I were in his shoes who would I really choose? even though I do prefer Ranka, I don't know what he as a character thinks so it's hard to say. Alto is really dense and I'm hoping he makes a decision sometime in the near future.
In his position I would take both
Old 2008-12-11, 19:34   Link #3625
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Is it really only me who's a bit fed up with all this "character X is really dense" stuff?

Old 2008-12-11, 19:40   Link #3626
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Is it really only me who's a bit fed up with all this "character X is really dense" stuff?
Meh, I'm just tired lol yeah I'd rather just wait and see what happens. All I know is that Kawamori better make a direct sequel or a second season of some sort, because this really needs to be resolved. I need to know, it's like an addiction >_>
Old 2008-12-11, 19:42   Link #3627
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Trust me, we all want some more. But we won't get it, only the reworked movie... well, maybe it's for the best.

Old 2008-12-11, 19:55   Link #3628
Father Hentai

Didn't Kawamori say in an interview - or lets better say - asked the reporter why should Alto choose if he can have two wonderfull girls? That is an ending which can be accepted.

btw. BetoJR I got stuffed too, but this will always be a neverending story. And nobody is talking about the romantic death scene of Michel :/
Old 2008-12-11, 20:23   Link #3629
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Didn't Kawamori say in an interview - or lets better say - asked the reporter why should Alto choose if he can have two wonderfull girls? That is an ending which can be accepted.

btw. BetoJR I got stuffed too, but this will always be a neverending story. And nobody is talking about the romantic death scene of Michel :/
Michel had one of the most epic deaths I've seen in a while, even still we all saw that it was coming as soon as he said "Hey Alto, you would give your life to save someone you care about" (might not be the exact words, but close enough) even with the foreshadowing of his death, I still was moved by the scene for the simple fact that his glasses became a symbol and that he confessed at that moment.

They could have just left it at "I really did like you," but Michel ended up saying "I love..." then he gets sucked into space right before he finished. Once I saw that he was going to say that he loved her, I was moved by that scene. It was one of, if not...the best emotional scene in the anime. It was sad, but at least they gave him a respectful death scene where he died an honorable man, not a womanizer (even though he was that for the majority of the series.)
Old 2008-12-11, 21:10   Link #3630
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Relax lol, I'm not denying anything, I'm just interpreting my way of looking at things instead of looking at one side of everything. Yes I know Sheryl and Alto have had their moments, but you can't really say that Alto actually kissed her in that scene for the simple fact it wasn't a close up. That's just what you see, and as for the whole triangle, I just hope it gets resolved in the movie or if they make a second season or some type of direct sequel with this cast. Whether it be with Sheryl or Ranka, I just need some closure lol
Give me a break. Are you 12? Ever had a girlfriend? Ever been in a relationship? Ever watched a romance anime/movie? The way they did that scene happens ALL the time in romance stories. The way they moved towards each other, and the complete setup that lead to that frame, was 100% for a kiss. To deny that fact, is completely laughable to me. He's holding her face in his hands, she closes her eyes, they move towards each other with their heads tilted at an angle that is VERY well versed when kissing. Their heads move together for crying outloud. Can you really deny what happened? I mean truly?
Old 2008-12-11, 21:16   Link #3631
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

@justin: *pat pat* There there...you know how people are. If they can't accept a certain scene, they decide to tweak it into something with an "explanation".
Old 2008-12-11, 21:18   Link #3632
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
@justin: *pat pat* There there...you know how people are. If they can't accept a certain scene, they decide to tweak it into something with an "explanation".
I just hate when people deny what is shown to them. Denial is not a river in Egypt after all.

Even if my girl doesn't win, I admit what is shown(Lucy from Macross Plus for example ). Countless times my favorites have lost in a series, and I still root for them, but I accept the truth. Twisting things to suit your own fantasies, while great in your head, don't work out so well when put in a debate.

-takes a deep breath- Thanks raile I feel better now.
Old 2008-12-11, 21:27   Link #3633
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Give me a break. Are you 12? Ever had a girlfriend? Ever been in a relationship? Ever watched a romance anime/movie? The way they did that scene happens ALL the time in romance stories. The way they moved towards each other, and the complete setup that lead to that frame, was 100% for a kiss. To deny that fact, is completely laughable to me. He's holding her face in his hands, she closes her eyes, they move towards each other with their heads tilted at an angle that is VERY well versed when kissing. Their heads move together for crying outloud. Can you really deny what happened? I mean truly?
Yeah thanks for the insults but I'd rather not get into the whole sarcasm and war amongst words. If you don't agree with my opinions, that's fine but you really don't need to start insulting me. I'm not here to insult anyone, but to discuss. If they did kiss, ok that's fine with me but I was just saying that the other kiss scenes have had different camera angles.

I don't need arrogance to get my points across, you need to calm down and talk to me like an someone that's able to control themselves because it seems your emotions have gotten the best of you. As for the whole scene, ok they kissed but I just find it weird the way they avoided really showing it as a whole. I'm here to discuss, not argue with people over an anime. Opinions are opinions, and I haven't denied anything...I've said it countless times and it's really frustrating to keep repeating myself to someone that would rather tempt me to respond in the same manner. Now I'd rather just leave it at that, I hope the movie or maybe a direct sequel will come out because I want to see more of Macross Frontier and the same cast, 25 episodes just wasn't enough.
Old 2008-12-11, 21:48   Link #3634
justinstrife

Quote:
If they did kiss, ok that's fine with me but I was just saying that the other kiss scenes have had different camera angles.
As for the whole scene, ok they kissed but I just find it weird the way they avoided really showing it as a whole.
That's your whole argument? Seriously?
Old 2008-12-11, 21:50   Link #3635
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:
Yeah thanks for the insults but I'd rather not get into the whole sarcasm and war amongst words. If you don't agree with my opinions, that's fine but you really don't need to start insulting me. I'm not here to insult anyone, but to discuss. If they did kiss, ok that's fine with me but I was just saying that the other kiss scenes have had different camera angles.

As for the whole scene, ok they kissed but I just find it weird the way they avoided really showing it as a whole.
Let's see, I've a red dress today, maybe I should pair it with my red shoes. Same goes for tomorrow. And the next. And the day after that and so on.

Omigosh, how I phail. My brain can't seem to comprehend the idea of variation and context and artistic composition. Oh wait, that's far beyond my dress. Oh well. Ho-hum.
Old 2008-12-11, 21:52   Link #3636
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgottendiary View Post
Let's see, I've a red dress today, maybe I should pair it with my red shoes. Same goes for tomorrow. And the next. And the day after that and so on.

Omigosh, how I phail. I didn't know the term variation exists.

Not every kiss needs to be shown. Especially some of the emotionally charged ones like in episode 22. I should go through my anime collection and do a screen shot on every kiss scene that didn't show full blown a direct side angle of lips locked and saliva dripping between the two kissers.

I'm still waiting for the poster to tell me that
Spoiler for Macross Plus scene:
Old 2008-12-11, 22:00   Link #3637
arcangelus
arcangelus

Send a message via AIM to arcangelus Send a message via Yahoo to arcangelus
Quote:

I don't need arrogance to get my points across, you need to calm down and talk to me like an someone that's able to control themselves because it seems your emotions have gotten the best of you. As for the whole scene, ok they kissed but I just find it weird the way they avoided really showing it as a whole. I'm here to discuss, not argue with people over an anime. Opinions are opinions, and I haven't denied anything...I've said it countless times and it's really frustrating to keep repeating myself to someone that would rather tempt me to respond in the same manner. Now I'd rather just leave it at that, I hope the movie or maybe a direct sequel will come out because I want to see more of Macross Frontier and the same cast, 25 episodes just wasn't enough.

no, i actually agree with justinstrife.
pairings are emotional discussions.
if alto x sheryl have such emotional and adament fans
it does say something about the pairing
Old 2008-12-11, 22:09   Link #3638
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcangelus View Post
no, i actually agree with justinstrife.
pairings are emotional discussions.
if alto x sheryl have such emotional and adament fans
it does say something about the pairing
So if I was in the other side of the fence, I guess that'd make me emotionally delusional.
Old 2008-12-11, 22:10   Link #3639
justinstrife

I should have probably toned down my post, but it's out now, and I don't regret it. I should be getting a warning or temporary banning from the mods shortly I'm sure. Not the first time, and not the last.

The truth is, Sheryl has been one of the best female characters in anime history. She's also done more to build a foundation for a relationship with Alto, than Ranka could dream of building. Their interactions are much more of adult couples, where as you get the feeling of awkward 12 year olds the way Alto and Ranka's 'romantic' moments have been shown to the audience.

Time and time again, the thought processes of Alto and Sheryl as characters, have been revealed to be on a completely different playing field from Ranka. Ranka's only kissed Alto once in the entire show, and it was a scene in a movie! Every kiss from Sheryl to Alto, has drawn out all sorts of emotions out of him. Far more than the standard "garrr!!!" we get when he gets angry. There was far more focus on Ranka after the movie kiss, than on both Alto and Ranka. Unlike the Sheryl x Alto kisses. The angles, the scenes, the moods, everything has been setup differently.

I get very charged up emotionally. I hide my emotions/thoughts/feelings on my sleeve for everyone to see. And like Isamu, I'm always looking for that physical rush or emotional high. You don't drive a 550hp supercharged corvette without being emotional.
Old 2008-12-11, 22:11   Link #3640
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
I think it was implied they did a HELL lot more than kiss but whatever, at least some people acknowledge the obvious canon, screencap that they kissed. Gee.
God forbid if it is a kiss without actually showing sticking tongues to each other's throats, i mean srsly.
Closed Thread

Tags
romance