AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-04-27, 01:11   Link #101
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I really enjoyed the game. I played it for the puzzles, snappy dialog and humor and the game delivered on all 3.

Although I do partially agree with one of the above posters that the puzzles do seem to get linear-ish after a point. I'm pretty sure I did some of those 'linear' puzzles the wrong way and still got them. Some more puzzles with multiple solutions would be cool but I was thinking that having dozens of different solutions to the puzzles would have been murder to design, test and verify. I just see it being a huuuuuuuge pain in the ass in the end.

i do like the idea of the game training us for the final fight. Thinking about it. If you were tossed into that fight right off the bat with no knowledge of the goo's it would take you a little while at least to get the idea. It did seem to me though that I ballsed my way through the fight I think I used the same portal combo for the first 2 (3?) spheres. Or maybe that was just connecting them to Wheatly.. Whatever anyways... I just loved the end... Portals... TO THE MOON BABY! That was epic.
Old 2011-04-27, 01:27   Link #102
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Does show that the portals don't seem to have a range limit...at least were Earth is concerned. That could be quite handy if they add Aperture Science portals to Half Life following this game. Might be better than any of the things Black Mesa invented.
Old 2011-04-27, 18:30   Link #103
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Black Mesa prolly stole it anyway, if Cave is to be believed. Heh.
Old 2011-04-27, 19:54   Link #104
KBTKaiser

Dual wield portal gun and a conversion gel gun

*puts on MC Hammer*

Can't touch this.
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 20:47   Link #105
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe some combustible lemons as well.

But yeah, conversion gel and a portal gun (maybe a modified one with four portals...red/orange and blue/light blue) would be nice. One set for combat use and one for either emergency escape or reenforments from a main base (one portal in the base and the other for when you need it)
Old 2011-04-27, 21:19   Link #106
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser View Post
Dual wield portal gun and a conversion gel gun

*puts on MC Hammer*

Can't touch this.
Oh man no kidding....
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 23:10   Link #107
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I just realised, after watching the final fight for the 20th time, that Wheatly's last words to Chell were the same as when he first disengaged himself from the Management-rail. Not to mention how he talked about Chell having a good grip when you jump down the broken stairs into the main breaker room.

Valve is really good at linking the whole story together. Everything is connected in some way.
Old 2011-05-02, 09:11   Link #108
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Just finished it. A great sequel to the first game. The puzzles were a bit easier than in the first game (I only got stuck once here), but they were very well thought-out. I loved the new additions to the gameplay.

The plot was very straightforward but the brilliant dialogues more than make up for that. Wheatley was the shit. That little idiot was so hilarious.

The final fight was over the top awesome. I don't even know why I thought firing a portal was a good idea... but it worked. This opens up a lot of possibilities.
Old 2011-05-02, 17:41   Link #109
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Although it was short, this is one of the best games I've played this year. The dialogue was downright hilarious. GlaDos and Wheatley were both amazing characters. The puzzles were not as hard as the first one, but they were still well done and fun. Co-op was also welcome and I certainly enjoyed it too.

With the ending to the co-op campaign, anyone think Portal 3 is possible?
Old 2011-05-02, 17:41   Link #110
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

"Oh hi. So how are you holding up? Because I am a potato."

[clap, clap, clap]

"Oh good. My slow clap processor made it into this thing. So we have that."

Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 17:44   Link #111
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Either Portal 3, or a really good way to tie Portal into Half-Life.

Besides, Cave said one of these tests might involve a slight amount of time travel.
Old 2011-05-02, 17:48   Link #112
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Does anyone knows who is the voice actor for Cave Johnson? He sure does sound like peter parker's boss from the spider man's movies.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 17:53   Link #113
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Because he is Jonathan Kimble "J. K." Simmons, who did voice J. Jonah Jameson in Spider-man.
Old 2011-05-22, 10:40   Link #114
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
This has to be one of the best game I played and with certainty the best game of the year
Old 2011-05-22, 11:07   Link #115
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Either Portal 3, or a really good way to tie Portal into Half-Life.

Besides, Cave said one of these tests might involve a slight amount of time travel.
Freeman with the Zero-Point Gravity Gun and the Dual Portal Gun?

Yikes
Old 2011-05-25, 14:37   Link #116
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I finally played and finished this game. That was absolutely awesome.

GlaDOS was awesome as usual and Wheatly was an incredibly funny addition, he indeed demonstrated to be the greatest moron that ever "lived"!

But still it's amazing how clever GLaDOS' dark humor is. Think about when she said:

"This test was designed by a nobel prize. I'm not sure what he was prized for, but I guess it wasn't for being immune to neurotoxin."

Absolutely fantastic! XD

And even so GlaDOS herself was awesome valve did a very good job offering several other speakers with equally hilarious lines, Cave Johnson being my second favorite.

"say goodbye, Caroline."
"Goodbye Caroline."
"She... is a gem!"

How in the world he decided to make her run the facility in his place? I guess she was his lover...

Still it's amazing how advanced aperture laboratories were. They already had developed portal guns back in the sxities! And they were still testing them 30 years later? What the hell? I guess I'd better not think too much about it.

I also noticed that in one of the earlier rooms of the old facilities it is said that Aperture laboratories won second place in the top 100 scientific research companies.
Seeing as how Cave Johnson holds a grudge to Black Mesa, I suppose they got the first place.

Why I wonder... what exactly Black Mesa achieved before the tragic incident that started the half life series? I don't remember if the gravity gun was their invention, but I think the portal gun is a thounsand times better (especially if it can allow instant moon to earth travel at almost zero costs).

BTW GLaDOS failed big time when she talked about the "surprise". She said that she found two people with chell's last name... but then those would be her foster parents.
In fact in portal 1 it was clearly said that Chell was adopted, which means she actually had parents, and as far as we know they might have loved her a lot, since they went all the trouble to adopt her.

It doesn't even mean that she was abandoned. She might have been an orphan, or she might have been taken by social workers (though, I don't know if that's really better).

Anyway the main point is that Chell's biological parents are not supposed to have her same last name. Hell, they might not even have the same last names themselves.

Talking about difficulty, I don't think it was objectively less difficult than portal 1, but I did have less problems this time. This is however, in my opinion, because I was already used to this game. If I go back I realize that some puzzles that caused me problems back then are trivial if compared to some of the final puzzles of portal 2.

I do however agree that there were too many situations where the elements necessary to proceed were way too much conveniently placed, and that's not very realistic outside of testing chambers.
Sometimes I found myself thinking:

"Okay now I have absolutely no idea where I will land if I slingshot myself through that portal. It is pretty high here and I can't even see the bottom anywhere. So in a normal situation I'd need to be completely insane to do this, but hey this is the only portal I can use, so I trust that it will somehow bring me to safety."

or

"Hey there's a slope, and I can shoot a portal on it. I don't actually know if that will lead me to the right path, but I suppose it does. I mean if there's a slope and I can shoot a portal on it, it obviously means that I'm supposed to use it!"

As a final note, the ending song sounds nice, but it's really not as good as "still alive", I doubt it will reach the same popularity.

final final note: The post ending was probably the most hilarious part for me. It really made me laugh the hardest. "I'm in space".

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2011-05-25 at 14:50.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 14:53   Link #117
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
BTW GLaDOS failed big time when she talked about the "surprise". She said that she found two people with chell's last name... but then those would be her foster parents.
In fact in portal 1 it was clearly said that Chell was adopted, which means she actually had parents, and as far as we know they might have loved her a lot, since they went all the trouble to adopt her.

It doesn't even mean that she was abandoned. She might have been an orphan, or she might have been taken by social workers (though, I don't know if that's really better).

Anyway the main point is that Chell's biological parents are not supposed to have her same last name. Hell, they might not even have the same last names themselves.
You do realize that Chell has been frozen for a while, adopted or not she probably assumes the people who RAISED HER are dead or missing. The surprise Glados referred to could have gone both ways, it could have meant Chells adoptive parents that raised her, or it could have meant HER REAL PARENTS.

What's more if Glados was telling the truth about her supposedly being abandoned on a doorstep by her real parents she could have very easily looked up her birth parents.

Glad you enjoyed the game though. It was indeed awesome.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 16:01   Link #118
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

A little gift from Valve, a free soundtrack album:
http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php
Old 2011-05-25, 17:17   Link #119
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
You do realize that Chell has been frozen for a while
I do, but GLaDOS said she found them frozen too. Which wouldn't be impossible since wheatly said there were thousands of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
The surprise Glados referred to could have gone both ways, it could have meant Chells adoptive parents that raised her, or it could have meant HER REAL PARENTS.
Normally when one gets adopted he/she gets the last name of the foster family. So if one says to a person that was adopted "I've found two persons close to you that have your same last name" they would think about their foster parents not the biological ones.

That's where GLaDOS failed. Maybe this mundane fact about human society wasn't in her data banks.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 19:49   Link #120
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I enjoyed this game so much but it surprised me how much dialog there was tucked away where few would actually hear it.

Spoiler for Story spoiler:

Also THIS.

Admittedly it isn't actually in the game but I found it strangely funny all the same.

=D

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cake lie portal valve