AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-08-04, 19:14   Link #6121
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

How they would address each other depends on who else is involved in the conversation and where they are at. That would dictate the formality of suffix.

Honorifics are contextual.
Old 2012-08-08, 06:01   Link #6122
HasuMasu
*Artist

My internet flipped out while Java was trying to do an update, so basically I can't get anything done on Facebook...what should I do?
Old 2012-08-08, 09:28   Link #6123
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Any large multi-million-population cities out there with privatized garbage removal services?

I've been kind of out-dated with Toronto and just found out it's converting to private services. Looks great on paper, especially compared with past experiences with city-run services but it would be cool to look at a city that already adopted such a system.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 09:33   Link #6124
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
My internet flipped out while Java was trying to do an update, so basically I can't get anything done on Facebook...what should I do?
That doesn't make much sense. As far as I know facebook doesn't use Java for anything. I'm guessing you have a different issue there.

Btw have you tried to completely uninstall Java? Unless you have a specific usage for it there's no good reason to keep it around nowadays. Unless you deal with some bank or government website that still uses it or you play minecraft there isn't much reason not to get rid of it.
Old 2012-08-08, 09:37   Link #6125
HasuMasu
*Artist

What seriously? Facebook has a seizure like this every now and then but I aways blame it on Java.
Old 2012-08-08, 10:11   Link #6126
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Looks great on paper, especially compared with past experiences with city-run services but it would be cool to look at a city that already adopted such a system.
What do you mean "compared with past experiences with city-run services"? When it comes to utilities, there are many historical examples where privatization was a true disaster (if not an outright failure). I suppose Toronto is introducing some hefty regulations along with this.
Old 2012-08-08, 10:36   Link #6127
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
What do you mean "compared with past experiences with city-run services"? When it comes to utilities, there are many historical examples where privatization was a true disaster (if not an outright failure). I suppose Toronto is introducing some hefty regulations along with this.
We've had several continuous-weeks without disposal services because the staff feels entitled to higher wages and better benefits and refuses to work. In a private company, they would simply be laid off and replaced. And they do this on a yearly basis. (1~2 weeks)

The employers would lose their profit when they don't deliver their services. Where the current public-sector system gets paid through our taxes without having to work according to any schedule or meet a quota.

Because private garbage removal service was illegal, every time they go on strike, we literally have 0 options to dispose of garbage ourselves. It's also a hefty fine for illegal dumping ($2000). People resorted to feeding their garbage into lawn mowers and pour it down their toilet to get rid of the garbage. This isn't like bus services where we can at least walk to our destinations. The city seems to stop functioning once there's a strike.

I also heard that one of the major things the current mayor promised that got him to being elected. It seems like everyone is sick of it. I actually don't live in Toronto but it's right on the other side of the street. So I never had the full experience of their garbage frustrations.

When a garbage strike happens here, many public services close because they don't want to create more garbage. And then we start zoning parks, sports fields and playgrounds as temporary landfill. Then we get disease/infestation problems.

I haven't witnessed any failures with privatization. Telecommunication for one is a huge industry that I am glad isn't part of the public sector. Another is construction/design that I am a part of.

Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2012-08-08 at 11:00.
Old 2012-08-08, 11:47   Link #6128
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I will be away for 16 days starting from the 1st of September to embark on an European tour. What worries me most is my passport and my credit card. Please suggest to me the best way to keep them safe. Some of my friends suggest a pouch, but is that safe enough?

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 11:48   Link #6129
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
We've had several continuous-weeks without disposal services because the staff feels entitled to higher wages and better benefits and refuses to work. In a private company, they would simply be laid off and replaced. And they do this on a yearly basis. (1~2 weeks)

The employers would lose their profit when they don't deliver their services. Where the current public-sector system gets paid through our taxes without having to work according to any schedule or meet a quota.

Because private garbage removal service was illegal, every time they go on strike, we literally have 0 options to dispose of garbage ourselves. It's also a hefty fine for illegal dumping ($2000). People resorted to feeding their garbage into lawn mowers and pour it down their toilet to get rid of the garbage. This isn't like bus services where we can at least walk to our destinations. The city seems to stop functioning once there's a strike.

I also heard that one of the major things the current mayor promised that got him to being elected. It seems like everyone is sick of it. I actually don't live in Toronto but it's right on the other side of the street. So I never had the full experience of their garbage frustrations.

When a garbage strike happens here, many public services close because they don't want to create more garbage. And then we start zoning parks, sports fields and playgrounds as temporary landfill. Then we get disease/infestation problems.

I haven't witnessed any failures with privatization. Telecommunication for one is a huge industry that I am glad isn't part of the public sector. Another is construction/design that I am a part of.
How much are your sanitary engineers paid? Over here, I feel that higher wages are fine for them because they are only paid S$600 per month the last time I heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I will be away for 16 days starting from the 1st of September to embark on an European tour. What worries me most is my passport and my credit card. Please suggest to me the best way to keep them safe. Some of my friends suggest a pouch, but is that safe enough?
Carry a fountain pen, a sharp nib pen or a nail file. Keep the pen beside your wallet, so when you reach for it, you can grab and alternative and swing at the poor bastard.

Either that, learn self-defence or don't carry a wallet/pouch to keep it incouspicious. Just stuff them in your pockets.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 12:10   Link #6130
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

If you think 2-3 weeks out of service a year is bad, then you'll be in for treat with privatized crucial infrastructure.

The politician that seals the deal gets a nice bonus and can retire in the pricate sector afterwards. The company that buys the stuff uses the tax paid infrastucture for moneyprinting until its run down, so that it does not work anymore, then gets out of that business.
After that it's just an endless chain of companies, trying to make a quick profit leeching off the tax players money. They can do this, because the infrastructure is important. They got a local monopoly as soon as they own the stuff... They can then ask for whatever they want from the city.

Privatizing infrastructure and crucial services.
Don't do this! Worst idea ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
Where are you planning to visit? This sounds like you are expecting to see some real bad places.
In some countries, there might be pickpockets at famous tourist spots. In that case, just put yout values into a pouch that you can wear around the neck, or use any pockets on the inside of clothes.
There shouldn't be any need for weapons. *lol*
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 12:12   Link #6131
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
How much are your sanitary engineers paid? Over here, I feel that higher wages are fine for them because they are only paid S$600 per month the last time I heard.
For 2009:
Average salary for the garbage truck driver or the loader (they're positions are interchangeable) is $25.11/hr Canadian. The starting base is $19/hr. Which is approximately 1:1 ratio.
Their work hour is 10 hours a day, 4 days a week.

So $4017.6 a month, $52,228 /year. Keep in mind that's with full benefits. I don't know about this part of the public sector but many of the city workers of Toronto have 24 days of paid holidays a year. (2 days a month, but it compounds each month and each year).

I'm paid $30/hr. But I don't have my engineers license yet. I need to graduate first. I'll probably make $35~40/hr when I'm a full fledged p.eng. I don't care about how much they're paid.

I don't like the idea of 'give me a raise or I will stop working'. If I want a raise, I suck up to the boss and ask for one. I can't just not show up to work and expect a raise while being paid for not showing up.

The data was the result of the negotiation from their biggest strike in 2009. I moved to another city a few hours away so I don't know much of what goes on in Toronto anymore.
Old 2012-08-08, 13:05   Link #6132
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
For 2009:
Average salary for the garbage truck driver or the loader (they're positions are interchangeable) is $25.11/hr Canadian. The starting base is $19/hr. Which is approximately 1:1 ratio.
Their work hour is 10 hours a day, 4 days a week.

So $4017.6 a month, $52,228 /year. Keep in mind that's with full benefits. I don't know about this part of the public sector but many of the city workers of Toronto have 24 days of paid holidays a year. (2 days a month, but it compounds each month and each year).

I'm paid $30/hr. But I don't have my engineers license yet. I need to graduate first. I'll probably make $35~40/hr when I'm a full fledged p.eng. I don't care about how much they're paid.

I don't like the idea of 'give me a raise or I will stop working'. If I want a raise, I suck up to the boss and ask for one. I can't just not show up to work and expect a raise while being paid for not showing up.

The data was the result of the negotiation from their biggest strike in 2009. I moved to another city a few hours away so I don't know much of what goes on in Toronto anymore.
You guys could copy us and import more willing workers from Bangladesh. [/sarcasm]

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 14:03   Link #6133
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post

Where are you planning to visit? This sounds like you are expecting to see some real bad places.
In some countries, there might be pickpockets at famous tourist spots. In that case, just put yout values into a pouch that you can wear around the neck, or use any pockets on the inside of clothes.
There shouldn't be any need for weapons. *lol*

I will be going to Netherlands, Italy, Belgium, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden and Denmark. My friend was once "bewitched" to hand over her travel money and passport. I am kinda afraid that might happen to me. At the very least, I am going with a large group of people.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 14:08   Link #6134
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Speaking for Sweden, depends on the city. I'm assuming it might be Stockholm or Gothenburg, so yea, inner pockets and the like should be enough at the tourist attractions. For other cities, just common sense. It is quite rare outside the big ones.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 15:50   Link #6135
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:

Are there no unions in Canada?

The problem with privatizing utilities is that they're essential. Who isn't going to pay for garbage disposal? That company is going to get paid even if they do a crap job, simply because there's no true alternative. Worse, because they're a private company (profit-driven), they can raise the prices and get away with it.

Quote:
If you're not familiar with it, you should read about the early days of sewage construction and design in America. I'm pretty sure that was the ultimate example for how privatization of utilities isn't always that great, and how social works (the government) is necessary to come in and make things happen at times.
Old 2012-08-08, 21:07   Link #6136
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
Facebook doesnt have anything to do with Java.
If any, you can uninstall java and reinstall it...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 21:45   Link #6137
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Going by http://www.quora.com/What-programmin...ed-at-Facebook, Java is used by Facebook, but it's entirely backend so it shouldn't affect the user. Maybe you were referring to Javascript?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 21:58   Link #6138
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

And kids, remember the only thing Java and Javascript have in common are the first four letters of their names. They are completely unrelated programming languages.
Old 2012-08-08, 22:44   Link #6139
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
And kids, remember the only thing Java and Javascript have in common are the first four letters of their names. They are completely unrelated programming languages.
Kids these days with their fancy modern technology.
Old 2012-08-09, 01:21   Link #6140
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Somehow this statement reminds me of a certain tv show where one dad is reminiscencing about his younger days with 4 friends of him trying to search for the perfect 'one'...

"Kids, in 2012, your uncle *sensored* and me bla bla bla bla..."
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious