AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Aquarion EVOL - Episode 26 [End] Rating
Perfect 10 25 27.47%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 17.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 7.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 13.19%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 10.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 6.59%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.20%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 2.20%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 11 12.09%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-25, 19:32   Link #301
bastek66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
To top it off Kagura did everything most wanted Amata to do for Zessica.
1. Noticed Zessica's suffering and said Amata was not worth her dying over. Didn't even kill her even if if it meant Mikono dying.
2. Teamed up with Zess. Seemed pretty happy doing so. Even that 3 way gattai of pure love union he seemed happy. WHAT?
3. Told Amata he was shit for making Zessica cry.

who is the real hero of Zessica's rescue?
Exactly,Kagura behaved in the way they wished Amata would have:
-Chose Zessica's life over saving Mikono and helped her
-They fought together
-Teasing
-"You don't deserve to die over likes of Amata"
- and he basically said fuck fate.
I have devilish idea how this could been less asspull - Kagura should had some visions of Amata's life in Neo-Deava, like all his interactions with Zessica, then He could kiss her as a repay for saving Amata's life in 21, and thus saving her from Mikage's flycatcher. Kagura's sudden giving up Mikono and helping Amata later would be more reasonable.
Old 2012-06-25, 19:35   Link #302
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post

Triple_R Having Kagura and Zessica bond as kindred spirits would be interesting. We can only imagine how it would have turned out if they actually explored that possible relationship in the series. But with the way they handled it, it felt more like "Fans like these characters so we can't kill them off. How about teasing a last second relationship between them so fans won't feel like they were crapped on?"
Yeah, I agree. It wouldn't surprise me if the original plan was for Zessica and Kagura to die, but to avoid massive fan backlash over that, they instead kept them alive, hinted at a possible relationship between them, and also turned them into Amata/Mikono shippers.

It is a shame, though, that Kagura/Zessica was never really explored in the series itself. It could have made things much more interesting, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_Zerg_Rush View Post
Wished that happened would have made Kaguras change seem more believable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
Pretty fun theory, though I honestly could care less about why Kagura changed. This was never a series I watched for the plot.
I'm glad you guys liked the theory.
Old 2012-06-25, 19:37   Link #303
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Exactly,Kagura behaved in the way they wished Amata would have:
-Chose Zessica's life over saving Mikono and helped her
-They fought together
-Teasing
-"You don't deserve to die over likes of Amata"
- and he basically said fuck fate.
I have devilish idea how this could been less asspull - Kagura should had some visions of Amata's life in Neo-Deava, like all his interactions with Zessica, then He could kiss her as a repay for saving Amata's life in 21, and thus saving her from Mikage's flycatcher. Kagura's sudden giving up Mikono and helping Amata later would be more reasonable.
Yeah, if it didn't feel as rushed and felt more organic then the teasing of a relationship between him and Zessica wouldn't feel like the writers were just throwing their fans a bone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah, I agree. It wouldn't surprise me if the original plan was for Zessica and Kagura to die, but to avoid massive fan backlash over that, they instead kept them alive, hinted at a possible relationship between them, and also turned them into Amata/Mikono shippers.

It is a shame, though, that Kagura/Zessica was never really explored in the series itself. It could have made things much more interesting, imo.

I'm glad you guys liked the theory.
It's a good theory

Aquarion Evol: An exercise in what could have been. So much potential down the drain.

At least I had Fate/Zero to watch afterwards to soften the blow
Old 2012-06-25, 19:48   Link #304
kuromitsu

WELL, WASN'T THIS JUST GLORIOUS. ABSOLUTELY GLORIOUS.

They weren't lying about the taiga drama style end: it was epic and deliciously cheesy. Add to that the good old Aquarion brand ridiculousness, and bam - glorious episode. Not saying it was perfect because it wasn't, but much like the show itself, the flaws were overpowered by the enjoyable, entertaining parts.

I won't even try to be coherent, I'll just make a list...

- OK, I totally choked up when Shrade's vector appeared. And then lol'd as Amata went all "oh Shrade~ *_*)". xD (which reminds me, I need to read the novelization - apparently there's a scene where Shrade's sheer bishie-ness makes Amata blush.)

- By the way, I'm sure someone has already noticed, but the visuals when Cayenne shouts "shinyuu gattai! go Aquarion!"are taken from the first OP.

- 神友 XDDDD also, they found yet another kanji combo for "sousei"...

- Crea finally got off her butt! and lol, Suomi being so quick to agree to be the new Eve to Donar's Adam. XD

- by the way, again there were some gorgeous visuals - my favorite was, without question, Mykage's "inner world" with the funghi and Venus' trap. It was both good symbolism and a really good-looking picture. (Oh Mykage, what am I going to do without your fabulousness?) I also liked the crystal scene - it looked really pretty. Also all those Buddha's hands.

- And you know what, haters gonna hate - Amata rocked in this ep. It's kind of sad that they waited until the last episode to let him be an actual, proper hero, but whatever, he rocked anyway. Yes, it was cheesy. Yes, the whole thing with his wings doesn't really make sense anymore. This is Aquarion. And the "FEEL THE PINK HEART-SHAPED PUNCH OF LOVE!! AQUARION LOVE!!" attack was almost as glorious as Tsugumi's "I LOVE PEOPLE!!!" attack in Genesis. (Almost - because nothing will ever top that.)

- Mikono fared less well, spending most of the episode as the audience's window character, and then started doing the Celiane Angst thing (more on that later...), but luckily Amata put an end to that in time. Ah well, at least she finally did something.

- And Amata and Mikono together were adorable and sweet and everything I ever liked about them. Haters gonna hate.

- And then there were the "surprises" (or shall I say "wtf"): Kagura apparently had a revelation and decided that if he can't save Mikono alone and he might as well team up with Amata and some stranger girl. ...well, okay? (Fwiw, seeing that he apparently gained some respect for Amata after watching him try and try again, it wasn't that out of the blue, but yeah, his sudden "go Amata!" attitude was weird.) In the meanwhile Zessica... STOPPED WANGSTING. Wow. She realized that there was stuff going on that had more priority than wallowing in her heartbreak... which is good. Of course it was all exremely convenient for both plot reasons and a Gordian Knot type solution to keep them both alive, but frankly, I'm glad that it happened. Regardless of the flaws in the execution, the two characters with the stifling, dangerously unhealthy loves have broken out of their chains and started to move on. Together or not. - I don't care what anyone says, it's good to see them like this. (And maybe the director's cut will elaborate more on how exactly it happened...)

- btw lol, donzoko-onna and kuso-otoko. XDDD It sounds like a movie title. (what was that Asano Tadanobu movie? Samehada otoko & Momojiri onna? it was a great movie, btw.)

- Aquarion cried. And His tears revived the world. And there was much rejocing. ......THAT. WAS. BEAUTIFUL. *sniffle* I knew Kawamori & Co. still had some of the good stuff remaining after the banana episode... XD

Also:

- Mykage/Touma kind of broke my heart. YOU TRAGICALLY FLAWED BEAUTIFUL BASTARD. ;__; ) It's nice that Fudou finally got off his ass and did something about him, though it was a bit sad that he seemed to do it out of obligation and didn't seem to have any affection for him... but then, that also makes sense. Still, my romantic heart missed the teary reunion (or at least an apology).

-Apollo, Sirius and Touma. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY. *claws at face* At this point we're switching between three different character designs, plus "traditional" animation for the charas and heavy CG animation for the mecha. My brain can't take this overload, so I'll just focus on the seiyuu...

-had to laugh at Apollo because last time I heard Terashima Takuma was Otoya in Uta no Prince-sama. Talk about a gap. XD (interestingly, they're both redheads...)

-TOUMA!!!! I squealed like a teenage fangirl when I saw him and heard Morikawa Toshiyuki's voice.

The bad:

- ALL THAT BLOODY RECYCLED ANIMATION. WHY? WHY??! It was going so well, and then BOOM. Argh!

- they had to do the "it was all Celiane's fault" AGAIN, that made me froth at the mouth even in Genesis. And no-one bothers to tell her "no, it wasn't your fault, we were all being stupid." Argh! #2 No, it wasn't her fault! Goddammit. And then they're willing to let her sacrifice herself. Argh!! #3

But eh, all's well that ends well.

Random observations:
-what exactly was Kagura reversing when he gave Amata that boost...? (let's face it, his real power is "I can do whatever the hell I want")
-still Kagura: I just noticed... since when does he pronounce the "si" in "Sylphie" correctly? o_O Or did he always pronounce it like that? Can't check atm...
-and, uh, how exactly did Mix get her big bangs back?
-so... what happened to Altair and all the people on it? I know it's not important, I'm just wondering... was it really reabsorbed into Vega?
-how did Apollonius end up as a deity, anyway? did I miss something? (very possible, it's past 2 am here)
-also, what did I say about the show having a happy ending? Heh~ XD

So in the end it's as I said here - the finale didn't fix the show's overall issues, but it did provide a very entertaining and overall positive closure. Thumbs up for the staff for not messing it up.

And with this minority opinion out of the way, please do continue the scheduled discontent and not liking Amata & Mikono. I'm just going to bask in the glory of this ep some more before sleep. :3

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-06-25 at 20:02.
Old 2012-06-25, 19:54   Link #305
mayumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Here's my (hopefully comedic) attempt to try to justify Kagura's rather sudden change of heart. It's pretty tongue-in-cheek, so don't take it too seriously, but I hope that both EVOL LOVErs and critics alike will enjoy this.

Spoiler for Kagura's Killing Games:

So what do people think?
LOL what a hilarious way to use the whole "kill" analogy in the beginning. I bet that's how kagura understood it and zessica was nekkid.
Old 2012-06-25, 21:21   Link #306
Destined_Fate

It doesn't work like that since Kagura has shown to understand what kill meant when Mikono asked him about it many episodes ago. He just doesn't understand when he's saying kill, when he's all full power like or something, since he thinks he's saying something completely different. Hence his shock when Mikono thought he meant to actually kill her.

Though the rest of the snippet you cut out elaborates on that so, eh. Would have been nice if they explored why he changed so much after meeting Zessica. Well, maybe we'll get a Movie or Director's Cut that will explain things better since they'll have more time.
Old 2012-06-25, 21:46   Link #307
Hiro Hayase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radik View Post
Spoiler for Zessica happy ending:

Zessica is basically the Pollon of her generation now.
So true, it just continues the cycle.

The final episode felt like an apology to the fans for the bad writing, it kinda reminds me of Gundam Seed Destiny's initial development.... and the disappointment afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post

Random observations:
-what exactly was Kagura reversing when he gave Amata that boost...? (let's face it, his real power is "I can do whatever the hell I want")
-still Kagura: I just noticed... since when does he pronounce the "si" in "Sylphie" correctly? o_O Or did he always pronounce it like that? Can't check atm...
-and, uh, how exactly did Mix get her big bangs back?
-so... what happened to Altair and all the people on it? I know it's not important, I'm just wondering... was it really reabsorbed into Vega?
-how did Apollonius end up as a deity, anyway? did I miss something? (very possible, it's past 2 am here)
What happened to Altair is what I would like to know. That's a big "?" for the viewers.

Edit: After wathcing this episode a second time, I felt that it was really unnatural how both Mikono and Amata literally forgot about Zessica's existence throughout this scene and the episode she "died." And this episode, Zessica and Kagura were both out of character, the change in their character was way too sudden with the lack of development.

Last edited by Hiro Hayase; 2012-06-25 at 23:07.
Old 2012-06-25, 22:18   Link #308
Destined_Fate

Eh, strange that Kagura calling Zessica a bitch seemed to flip a switch in her. First Mikono getting hot and bothered being called a wench by Kagura and now Zessica for being a bitch to him. Is Kagura that irresistible that insults like that can be endearing? I mean Zessica doesn't know about his reverse speech thing so he must have something going for him to get all the girls to swoon for him.

Altair was a plot device, as far as we know that planet was toasted far too early so most likely everyone died before Aquarion Love could fix things.
Old 2012-06-25, 22:25   Link #309
Forever
Revealing the truth

Yup the ending was so bad and full of cheese that it was good. Well hopefully kagura and zessica could explore something.....
Old 2012-06-25, 22:35   Link #310
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Eh, strange that Kagura calling Zessica a bitch seemed to flip a switch in her. First Mikono getting hot and bothered being called a wench by Kagura and now Zessica for being a bitch to him. Is Kagura that irresistible that insults like that can be endearing? I mean Zessica doesn't know about his reverse speech thing so he must have something going for him to get all the girls to swoon for him.

Altair was a plot device, as far as we know that planet was toasted far too early so most likely everyone died before Aquarion Love could fix things.
Well, some girls in real life like to be insulted. No lie, a national study showed that a few girls in the populations like to be insulted verbally. Its like some sort of fantasy, don't know but they also mentioned that they may like to be insulted thought they still prefer gentle feeling. Maybe I should stop reading CNN, I pick up so many weird things.
Old 2012-06-25, 22:40   Link #311
Destined_Fate

Well, from my experience in relationships a bit of rough play can be a plus though it's very easy to go too far if you don't know the person well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Yup the ending was so bad and full of cheese that it was good. Well hopefully kagura and zessica could explore something.....
We may never know unless we get a Director's Cut or Movie. All that is left to do is to speculate. I'm sure Bioware would be proud.

I think Kawamori let his bitterness over Zessica and Kagura being more popular than the main pair get in the way of him seeing how much he could have milked that coupling. Seems like a wasted opportunity that he didn't notice until the very last second.
Old 2012-06-25, 22:44   Link #312
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Best to not think about it to rationally when it comes to the opposite partner's preferences. Back to topic, I think it may happen. Well there was the squeal I find other people talking about it, though I fear or hope it will not continue directly from this series if they are going to do it badly again.
Old 2012-06-26, 00:46   Link #313
zero7090

half assed love is half assed if you ever dare to think about Zessica forget about amata and go to kagura.

Kawamori DID have the chance to make this right by scarifying kagura and Zessica and may be Apollonius/Fudo like Code Geass. Seem like this year all the big name from Hiroyuki Yoshino,
Ichiro Okouchi to Shoji Kawamori failed hard.

The only that was did right in this ep was the last song.
Old 2012-06-26, 01:13   Link #314
justsomeguy

Oh come on people, was the ending really that bad? It was mostly as cheesy as the rest of the show, and Okada was obviously rushing to cram in everything necessary for a happy ending, but other than the overly rapid plot/character developments in the end at the very least the ending fit the show.

Now when's that final review thread going up? I would really like to criticize Okada's management of the large cast, which was the weakest part of the show as a whole.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2012-06-26, 01:22   Link #315
mayumi

The ending was not bad for me as itself. This episode by itself was good, imo. Heck if was watching this episode alone, I might even ship amata-mikono, kagura-zessica, andy-mix by itself. But when I think of it as a whole series, I get pissed off. So the only way I will recommend EVOL who were genesis fans is to tell them watch the last episode of EVOL where Apollo and Silvia got together and well there is this other half of Apollo who might have moved on and might have a thing with donzoko-onna green haired girl.

That's about it. EVOL is not memorable for me.
Old 2012-06-26, 01:46   Link #316
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
Ah boy, interesting one. Missed a lot of the crazy stuff in the 2nd half of the series but I had to finish it up with the last ep. And judging from the reactions, seems that I'm less scared for doing so.

Anyway, I laughed so it's bearable for me. XD Still, now I have to root for Zessica x Kagura....? Awkward~ Even though I had already thought that those two would balance each other out, to actually see it happen ... duuuur.

Mix is alive and well and back to being all girl. Bet Andy's glad for that one. XD The nun and the sergeant guy getting orders to basically become a couple...that was funny.
I don't think it was so much ordering them to be a couple. More that they already were and she was hinting at Suomi being pregnant. That's probably what Suomi told Donar at the end of the episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korps! View Post
Subliminal message here, Kagura being Amata's foil for 25 episodes, willing to let the universe crumble before giving up on his bone, turned into the biggest AmataXMikono shipper out there just like that.

Kawamori : Yes it is a crap love story until the last moment. Then at this point you're supposed to get it and suddenly root for them to death. EVOL then turned to LOVE. I'm a genius.
well it is weird, no doubt. However I will give the benefit of the doubt since this is really the first time he wasn't under Mikage. It was like the first time he was truly his own person. Not having Mikage mess with his mind really gives him a much clearer head.

Concernering Apollonius giving up his love and being fine with her being with another. I don't think that is the case. His love was Celiane, not Mikono or Silvia. They may be her reincarnation but fact of the matter is that they aren't Celiane. All 3 of them are very different from one another. Sure he could probably use the fact that he is Apollonius to move things in his favor but it still wouldn't be the same as his time with Celiane. Him and Amata are alike in that they live for the present and make their own choices. Not because of something that happened in a past life.
Old 2012-06-26, 02:54   Link #317
Destined_Fate

Doesn't that make Pollon and his incarnations shallow than since they all tried to carry on through more than one cycle with their love for the Celiane incarnation? Pollon wanted another life to get with Celiane, only that wasn't really Celiane. Apollo wanted another life to get with Silvia only that wasn't Silvia. Amata was destined to get with Silvia only she wasn't Silvia but at least he didn't ditch her at the end and owned up that his argument was pointless and didn't try and force another reincarnation cycle down on her. Still funny that it took the thief so long to finally get over the reincarnation business fully while Apollonius dropped it instantly because he will never meet the real Celiane again.
Old 2012-06-26, 03:09   Link #318
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
.....Apollonius dropped it instantly because he will never meet the real Celiane again.
Agree.... Amata loved Mikono whether she isn't Silvie/Silvia.... Amata loved Mikono even when he thought Kagura was Apollo and should be destined to be with Mikono who was Silvie/Silvia.

Knowing the truth, just drove Amata to go all out for Mikono.
Old 2012-06-26, 03:23   Link #319
SABER60069

Not really

In this episode Amata speaks about how he was meant to experience being left behind to understand how Silvia felt being left behind by Apollo and he did admit he felt destiny when he met Mikono so Amata has never at ANY point fought fate and if anything claims it.

On the other hand Kagura is the one actually do what Amata says, he accepted that he didn't love Mikono and so rejects his destiny fighting it and supports Amata and Mikono showing actual growth.
Old 2012-06-26, 04:37   Link #320
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
To top it off Kagura did everything most wanted Amata to do for Zessica.
1. Noticed Zessica's suffering and said Amata was not worth her dying over. Didn't even kill her even if if it meant Mikono dying.
2. Teamed up with Zess. Seemed pretty happy doing so. Even that 3 way gattai of pure love union he seemed happy. WHAT?
3. Told Amata he was shit for making Zessica cry.

who is the real hero of Zessica's rescue?
Kagura > Amata.
Seriously his 'love' for Mikono shouldn't have rendered him completelly devoided of normal comrade concern. His creepy obssessive blind love so dreaaamy. I don't think so.

Zessica and Kagura are completelly pointless plotwise.
It looks like they only exist to lampshade how shit Mikono and Amata are.

I knew from the beginning that introducing the fighting fate theme in the context of the story was BS.

Last edited by Zuul; 2012-06-26 at 04:47.
Closed Thread