AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-13, 10:12   Link #381
atikabubu
Monogatari-tore

The 3 ONA episodes focused on Hanekawa turning into the Meddlesome Cat, and to be honest it was somewhat crappy (it took them a YEAR to the 3 eps!).

About it all being a first season: since the official name for the anime series slated for July is Second Season... (people also call it Zenmonogatari)

The timeline for the story is like this: Kizumonogatari > Neko: Black > Bakemonogatari > Nisemonogatari > Second Season > Third Season

The plot is largely continuous. The stuff that happens in eg. Kizumonogatari is reference FOR THE WHOLE TIME in the latter ones. Although in Bakemonogatari there are flashbacks for Neko: Black, which are TOTALLY DIFFERENT from what we see in Neko: Black.

And Kizumonogatari... If our grandchildren get to watch it, cool. It's the story about how Arararararararararararararagi met Shinobu for the first time (protip: the scenes in the first moments of Bakemonogatari (before the episode title card) are mostly Kizumonogatari footage!). You should read the Light Novel translation, or you'll miss out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?z3z7nvcolapa9du < link

are ga DENEBU, ARUTAIRU, BEGA...
atikabubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 17:08   Link #382
mugimugi
bwaka

I didn't even know about the ONA. You're not talking about the recap, do you?

As mentioned the timeline is like this:

Kizumonogatari > Nekomonogatari: Kuro > Bakemonogatari > Nisemonogatari > Nekomonogatari: Shiro / Kabukimonogatari > Onimonogatari > Otorimonogatari > Koimonogatari > Tsukimonogatari > Hanamonogatari

The books were released and or written in this order:

Bakemonogatari Vol. 1 + Vol. 2 > Kizumonogatai > Nisemonogatari Vol. 1 + Vol. 2 (kind of unplanned release and that was supposed to be the last book.. meaning you can call this the first season together with Neko Kuro since it fits into the early timeline) > Nekomonogatari Kuro + Shiro > Kabukimonogatari > Hanamonogatari > Otorimonogatari >Onimonogatari > Koimonogatari (this book is supposed to be the end of zenmonogatari, the second season) > Tsukimonogatari > ect..

The anime has been released in this order so far:

Bakemonogatari as adaption of the two volumes, 15 TV episodes> Nisemonogatari as adaption of the two volumes, 11 TV episodes > Nekomonogatari as adaption of the first Nekomonogatari book, 4 TV episodes.

The flashbacks in Bakemonogatari are different from Nekomonogatari Kuro because the Neko novels were not done when the Bakemonogatari anime aired.

Last edited by mugimugi; 2013-05-14 at 05:01.
mugimugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 01:04   Link #383
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugimugi View Post

Kizumonogatari > Nekomonogatari: Kuro > Bakemonogatari > Nisemonogatari > Nekomonogatari: Shiro / Kabukimonogatari > Onimonogatari > Otorimonogatari > Koimonogatari > Hanamonogatari > Tsukimonogatari

Bakemonogatari Vol. 1 + Vol. 2 > Kizumonogatai > Nisemonogatari Vol. 1 + Vol. 2 (kind of unplanned release and that was supposed to be the last book.. meaning you can call this the first season together with Neko Kuro since it fits into the early timeline) > Nekomonogatari Kuro + Shiro > Kabukimonogatari > Hanamonogatari > Otorimonogatari >Onimonogatari > Koimonogatari (this book is supposed to be the end of zenmonogatari, the second season) > Tsukimonogatari > ect..

Bakemonogatari as adaption of the two volumes, 15 TV episodes> Nisemonogatari as adaption of the two volumes, 11 TV episodes > Nekomonogatari as adaption of the first Nekomonogatari book, 4 TV episodes.

The flashbacks in Bakemonogatari are different from Nekomonogatari Kuro because the Neko novels were not done when the Bakemonogatari anime aired.
False, Tsuki takes place before Hana.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 04:59   Link #384
mugimugi
bwaka

My bad. Tsuki plays right after Koi in February. Hana is two months later or something.
mugimugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-14, 08:44   Link #385
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikabubu View Post
The 3 ONA episodes focused on Hanekawa turning into the Meddlesome Cat, and to be honest it was somewhat crappy (it took them a YEAR to the 3 eps!).

About it all being a first season: since the official name for the anime series slated for July is Second Season... (people also call it Zenmonogatari)

The timeline for the story is like this: Kizumonogatari > Neko: Black > Bakemonogatari > Nisemonogatari > Second Season > Third Season

The plot is largely continuous. The stuff that happens in eg. Kizumonogatari is reference FOR THE WHOLE TIME in the latter ones. Although in Bakemonogatari there are flashbacks for Neko: Black, which are TOTALLY DIFFERENT from what we see in Neko: Black.

And Kizumonogatari... If our grandchildren get to watch it, cool. It's the story about how Arararararararararararararagi met Shinobu for the first time (protip: the scenes in the first moments of Bakemonogatari (before the episode title card) are mostly Kizumonogatari footage!). You should read the Light Novel translation, or you'll miss out.

http://www.mediafire.com/?z3z7nvcolapa9du < link
Okay, so, I'll just watch the series as they were released by the time-line and hope that they connect with each other.
Thank-you very much.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 21:12   Link #386
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Spoilers
Spoiler for Question
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 14:51   Link #387
Romanticide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
Spoilers
Spoiler for Question
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
You can find your answer in the Light Novel Thread.
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 13:38   Link #388
redgrnbluylw

Okay, is it just me, or do the Ending animations for the Monogatari series become crazier and even more complicated and difficult to understand with each passing season? Like, seriously! Does anybody understand the Mayoi Jiang Shi ending animation at all? Explain it to me, please?
redgrnbluylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 14:44   Link #389
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrnbluylw View Post
Okay, is it just me, or do the Ending animations for the Monogatari series become crazier and even more complicated and difficult to understand with each passing season? Like, seriously! Does anybody understand the Mayoi Jiang Shi ending animation at all? Explain it to me, please?
By saying the Ending animation, are you referring to the ED music video?
If you are, the whole point of it was to be a bit of a Mind-F*ck.
A complete chaos, in other words. Some people (like myself) understand that as high-art. Also, the ED itself focuses on the music, and the animation is just for display, not to show us any kind of story we would need or want to understand.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 01:20   Link #390
teja208
Critical fanboy

I still don't get the idea behind Ougi and Araragi's conversation about the traffic lights has anything to do with the whole story. Is it all that important regarding the events that were unfolded in Kabuki?
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 02:24   Link #391
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
I still don't get the idea behind Ougi and Araragi's conversation about the traffic lights has anything to do with the whole story. Is it all that important regarding the events that were unfolded in Kabuki?
No, it just introduced the character.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 22:56   Link #392
MrFalcon

Could anyone explain the plot complications of kizumonogatari vs the later novels referenced in the kizumonogatari thread? Thanks
MrFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 23:36   Link #393
shinyaNakagawa
Lifeless shut-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalcon View Post
Could anyone explain the plot complications of kizumonogatari vs the later novels referenced in the kizumonogatari thread? Thanks
Plot complications?
I'd rather said it is the setting (backgrounds, flashback scenes, characters) complications.
Apparently I sucked at explaining stuff to people so I just can tell you this one thing.
Watch the flashback scene of Neko Kuro in Bakemonogatari and compare that with the actual Neko Kuro scenes.
See?
shinyaNakagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-21, 23:58   Link #394
hanekawa
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugimugi View Post

Kizumonogatari > Nekomonogatari: Kuro > Bakemonogatari > Nisemonogatari > Nekomonogatari: Shiro / Kabukimonogatari > Onimonogatari > Otorimonogatari > Koimonogatari > Tsukimonogatari > Hanamonogatari

Oni and Neko:Shiro take place at the same time, not Kabuki and Neko:Shiro.
hanekawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 08:16   Link #395
redgrnbluylw

Guys, I've just been wondering. Why was the Bakemonogatari anime generally liked better than its sequels? I totally agree that the experience, at least for me, was highly memorable. Almost magical, even. But what made it so?

For me, I liked that the Bakemonogatari anime seemed to have dealt more with feelings than the psychological aspects of later series. I loved that Suruga had a crush on Hitagi. I loved that Nadeko had a childhood crush on Araragi. I loved that Hitagi was willing to open herself up to others and spark a relationship with Araragi. I felt heartbroken for Tsubasa's one-sided feelings for Araragi. It all just felt so raw and compelling. I was emotionally invested in the characters. The only other arc that I'd say matched Bake in this aspect was Neko Kuro. Nise and much of the Monogatari Second Season so far don't really resemble Bake in that aspect. And I know that the novels are responsible for that, but still.

What are your guys' thoughts?
Old 2013-10-29, 12:52   Link #396
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
If anything, the later parts of the series felt as much if not more emotional to me (but I am also a novel reader and Shaft did some things that were questionable in some cases concerning character interaction and cutting rather important stuff). The later half of the stories delve into the reasoning behind a lot of the character's relationships and developed them further into more complex interactions. Basically it was just as magical for me, but I can see why some may not feel the same.

They are both so necessary for the narrative as a whole I can't really say whether I liked one or the other better.
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 14:06   Link #397
Shikijin

Quote:
Guys, I've just been wondering. Why was the Bakemonogatari anime generally liked better than its sequels? I totally agree that the experience, at least for me, was highly memorable. Almost magical, even. But what made it so?
I once referred to the first series as "magic" too. In fact, when I read the original novels, Bake was just a series of short stories, still interesting and entertaining, but the anime had something more.

I think one factor was that the story was presented as a boy meets girl kind of story in spite of having a harem setting. It was also slightly different as a love story compared to other love stories, though I wouldn't know how to describe it. Somehow it felt more realistic, though that is not exactly right. It's the atmosphere in Monogatari, a sort of middle ground between anime and reality.

Another aspect was the fact that the anime was a bit more serious than the books (Nisio likes anticlimaxes a lot). Kizu and Neko Black are mostly serious too. Humor makes you like a character, but it's the angst that clinches the deal.

The first series had also brilliant direction and animation, whereas in the later series the direction is more conservative and they are simply trying to copy what they have done before.

I'm not saying I am not liking even the later stories, but Bake anime was very well done.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 15:43   Link #398
redgrnbluylw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikijin View Post
I once referred to the first series as "magic" too. In fact, when I read the original novels, Bake was just a series of short stories, still interesting and entertaining, but the anime had something more.

I think one factor was that the story was presented as a boy meets girl kind of story in spite of having a harem setting. It was also slightly different as a love story compared to other love stories, though I wouldn't know how to describe it. Somehow it felt more realistic, though that is not exactly right. It's the atmosphere in Monogatari, a sort of middle ground between anime and reality.

Another aspect was the fact that the anime was a bit more serious than the books (Nisio likes anticlimaxes a lot). Kizu and Neko Black are mostly serious too. Humor makes you like a character, but it's the angst that clinches the deal.

The first series had also brilliant direction and animation, whereas in the later series the direction is more conservative and they are simply trying to copy what they have done before.

I'm not saying I am not liking even the later stories, but Bake anime was very well done.
The seriousness was definitely a factor. Furthermore, I'd add that the characters seemed particularly human to me, more relatable in Bakemonogatari than in most of its sequels. I totally get Nadeko's childhood crush. I totally get Tsubasa's and Kanbaru's envy and one-sided love. I totally get Hitagi for isolating herself from others. Heck, even Mayoi's family situation is one many people can relate to. And if you add the kaii into the mix, the story becomes even more unpredictable and suspenseful and mysterious.

The climax is a good point, too; I can't describe just how tense I felt during Black Hanekawa's and Araragi's confrontation in the last episode of Bake. Karen Bee in particular was missing that.
Old 2013-10-29, 20:41   Link #399
Raymondjram

Quote:
The seriousness was definitely a factor. Furthermore, I'd add that the characters seemed particularly human to me, more relatable in Bakemonogatari than in most of its sequels. I totally get Nadeko's childhood crush. I totally get Tsubasa's and Kanbaru's envy and one-sided love. I totally get Hitagi for isolating herself from others. Heck, even Mayoi's family situation is one many people can relate to. And if you add the kaii into the mix, the story becomes even more unpredictable and suspenseful and mysterious.

The climax is a good point, too; I can't describe just how tense I felt during Black Hanekawa's and Araragi's confrontation in the last episode of Bake. Karen Bee in particular was missing that.
I liked much of Bake, too. The Tsubasa theme song "Sugar Sweet Nightmare" is one of the best anime songs (based on a frustrated love) I have ever heard, and it is so famous that I have heard on YouTube many instrumentals and translated versions, including in English and Spanish. But there is one character was practically ignored in all of Bake except the very last chapter of "Tsubasa Cat" and that was Shinobu. In the following stories we lean more about her past as Kiss-Shot-Acerola-Orion-Heart-Under-Blade and her new personality, but only in flashback we learned more. Onimonogatari will give us another view in her past, and I expect to enjoy that.

This is the biggest reason we need Kizumonogatari to be animated. It explains how the Koyomi-Shinobu relationship began. And after reading the light novel translation more than once, I see a real "love story" between them (there is a special scene where the fully recovered Kiss-Shot wants Koyomi to sit next to her and just talk - we men who had a girlfriend know what this means!), but it was frustrated at the end when Koyomi converted her to the small girl we see in all of Bake. Some of that relationship past has leaked out in Nise and in the other stories (especially Kabuki).

Monogatari fans would love to see why Koyomi did that to her, and only Kizu can explain it!
Raymondjram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-29, 21:03   Link #400
shinyaNakagawa
Lifeless shut-in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondjram View Post
This is the biggest reason we need Kizumonogatari to be animated. It explains how the Koyomi-Shinobu relationship began. And after reading the light novel translation more than once, I see a real "love story" between them (there is a special scene where the fully recovered Kiss-Shot wants Koyomi to sit next to her and just talk - we men who had a girlfriend know what this means!), but it was frustrated at the end when Koyomi converted her to the small girl we see in all of Bake. Some of that relationship past has leaked out in Nise and in the other stories (especially Kabuki).

Monogatari fans would love to see why Koyomi did that to her, and only Kizu can explain it!
Nah. Onimonogatari will do that for you, not Kizu.
shinyaNakagawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a