AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-01-16, 18:48   Link #41
KBTKaiser

would you rather put SRW beginners through the hell that is SRW2 through SRWF Final? (SRW2, SRW3, SRWEX, SRW4, SRWF, SRWF Final)
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 20:23   Link #42
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:51.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-16, 21:11   Link #43
Judo
Lazy Turtle

Send a message via MSN to Judo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser
would you rather put SRW beginners through the hell that is SRW2 through SRWF Final? (SRW2, SRW3, SRWEX, SRW4, SRWF, SRWF Final)

Why not? I mean, didn't we all start like that? =P

man, I remember the days when I first started playing F...heck, I still don't know how I was able to finish that game <.<; I mean, I didn't even know what most seishins did back then, I just saved them all up until a boss appears, where then I'd use them all up thinking that they were all stat boosters or something ._.;

Anyways, seriously, yeah you're right that it is a starting point for beginners but still, there're a couple of other SRWs that are easy enough for beginners yet have a more balanced difficulty. Also...making a game easy for beginners is NOT an excuse to not have multiple difficulty settings, just like @G, @3 and OG2 =/
Judo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-17, 01:25   Link #44
KBTKaiser

The Damage Numbers were slightly inflated in MX, IMO, but at least they crunched the numbers for Dendoh's final attack properly.

Also, the GBA Series all experimented in one aspect or another.

SRWA: the FINAL time we ever see limit stat upgrades

SRWR: Diving deeper into relation bonuses.

SRWOG: Variable Weapons System

SRWD: Combo(AKA Driveby) Attacks

SRWOG2: Unit specific bonuses

SRWJ: Morale-based Pilot/Mecha skill tweaking

Oh, and I began my SRW career with Advance and SRW Gaiden: Masoukishin. I completed SRW4 after much gaming in Reversal and OG1.
Old 2006-01-20, 13:36   Link #45
KaiserBasara
Bannnned

I dont know if i like strategy rpgs, some are good.

FFT: Great
FFTA: Great, but has a dumb law system
Fire Emblem: Frustrating, but good for a road trip
Tactics Ogre 64: Really great. I played it twice awhile ago. It's non linear but in a good way
Tenchi: Good
Icewind Dale 2: Kind of a strategy game. Good, but too long.
Warcraft: Good, but requires a lot of energy. Pretty harrowing.
Saiyuki: Pretty good.
Tactics Ogre The Knight of Lodis: This one is pretty bad. The final boss is so annoying. Stay away
Hoshigami: I haven't given this game a chance, but really, I can't stand it.

Well, that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge of strategy rpgs. I haven't played enough to judge. I used to love them, but don't know if i like them any more. Maybe it's been awhile since I played a good one. But i do want to play disgaea, and La PUcelle is pretty affordable too.
KaiserBasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-24, 00:30   Link #46
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Fire Emblem is one of the most ingenious strategy RPG's ever created. Your characters actually DIE! Wow that's a new concept!

Of course, holding "start + b + x + y" to keep restarting wasn't great fun, but Path of Radiance is amazing.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 19:59   Link #47
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Hm does anyone know where I can get ahold of a copy if Disgaea? I want to play that game know due to the recomendations in this thread but EB says its been discontinued -.-
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 22:10   Link #48
Ialdaboth

- UFO Enemy Unknown, one of the best strategy game ever.
- Shining Force
- Langlisser
- Fire Emblem series
- Advance Wars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser
SRW4 was actually very easy, thanks to the power of Shou Zama and his all-powerful Dunbine
It was my first SRW ever, and I didn't have any problem finishing it. But for a beginner I would recommend the SRW alpha, more modern (and even more easy, I think).
Old 2006-01-30, 00:12   Link #49
Scorch

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (super famicom/PSX) is my favorite tactics game. It's a lot like Final Fantasy Tactics, except that it came first. I'd say the story is significantly better, especially if you go the route of law. It has a branching storyline with three alignments. The GBA Tactics Ogre (Knight of Lodis) is far inferior to LUCT, but is very interesting to play in retrospect. It helps you understand one of the major characters in LUCT.

Myth: The Fallen Lords is an excellent real time strategy game for the PC. It's quite old these days, but there's nothing like it that I'm aware of. You can't build new units, you win or lose purely on tactics. It doesn't really have any RPG elements to it, but is so unique that I thought I'd mention it anyways.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 21:46   Link #50
Wakoeme
spring time of life

Send a message via AIM to Wakoeme
i absolutly love SRPGs i love FFT, FFTA(not as good but still fun), Disgaea, Makai Kingdom, La Pucell, Stella Deus. i've really noticed in the past few years more and more of SRPGs hitting the US market. and im really glad they have.
Wakoeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 21:59   Link #51
somekid
A Small Overlord

Send a message via AIM to somekid
I cant wait for Disgaea 2 to come out. Though I don't think it came out in Japan yet... did it?
somekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 22:45   Link #52
Wakoeme
spring time of life

Send a message via AIM to Wakoeme
Quote:
Originally Posted by somekid
I cant wait for Disgaea 2 to come out. Though I don't think it came out in Japan yet... did it?
i think it will be released in japan latter this month, and it comes to the states in augest i belive.
Wakoeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-11, 23:16   Link #53
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Disgaea is probably my favourite, Etna and the Prinnies are just too funny.
Old 2006-04-22, 12:57   Link #54
KBTKaiser

Topic Necromancy, but the announcement of SRWOG and SRWOG2 for GBA in the US and the the announcement of SRWOGs in Japan for the PS2 is just too much not to resurrect this thread!

http://anon.banpresto.speedera.net/a...ogs_tokuho.mp4
SRW OGs Promo Video (80+ MB)
Old 2006-04-22, 13:09   Link #55
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Send a message via ICQ to Newtyped Send a message via AIM to Newtyped Send a message via Yahoo to Newtyped
I just liked beating yyhtt
I love yyh, so for me that game was great
also it has some good mechanics for a tactic game
it was kinda short however, it has low lvl limits, un varied character builds, and no equips. However I loved the game however short and limited it was, and i will build on its ideas when i make my stratergy game >> << >>
Newtyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 15:43   Link #56
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakoeme
i absolutly love SRPGs i love FFT, FFTA(not as good but still fun), Disgaea, Makai Kingdom, La Pucell, Stella Deus. i've really noticed in the past few years more and more of SRPGs hitting the US market. and im really glad they have.
I dunno- while I like the genre, too many of them seem like clones. Out of the Nippon Ichi ones, Disgaea was the only one I stuck with. Pucelle had boring mechanics and the bounce mechanics in the Phantom were flat out annoying. I'm very much looking forward to Disgaea 2, though, as I think it'll probably keep the main gameplay mechanics intact.
Old 2006-04-22, 16:02   Link #57
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
I'm very much looking forward to Disgaea 2, though, as I think it'll probably keep the main gameplay mechanics intact.
Pretty much. Some of the annoying bits are still there too (such as having to reselect a spell if you're out of range whereas in PB/Makai you could just hold square and move) but some things have been fixed (like if you all attack an enemy and it dies before everyone's attacked you can choose another attack for the characters that didn't get a chance) It's biggest problem though is that it IS Disgaea 2. It's the game I spent 128 hours on with different characters :/ It does have the NES-style remix of Ode to Laharl though...

Bah, Shining Force 3 gets no love Shame parts 2 and 3 didn't get translated but part 1 was cool in itself. 2 and 3 were just better.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 21:32   Link #58
Jocean

yea Langrisser, SRW and Fire Emblem all Those are good, if you like those and

looking check out UGTZ or Ncsx.com
Jocean is offline   Reply With Quote