AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-09-10, 23:46   Link #5081
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffry2009 View Post
Do you think that there will be flying cars 10 years later from now?
This is not really the thread for speculations. You should create a thread or find one that already exists on this topic if you're really interested.

But just to answer your question: No, a flying car would just be too dangerous to use even if we can make it. Some people can't even drive safely on the ground. I don't think any sane government would approve.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 09:32   Link #5082
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Right, figured I have a simple question that's not worth a thread to ask about.

Long story short, I recently migrated to Win7, liked it fine enough. But I was horrified by the search feature, apparently I am not alone in this (sigh), disabled the indexing (it was making my HD giving out scary noises in any case) and is now looking for a Windows 7 (x64) Search Alternative.

My problem is simple: I want something integrated, like, something that when I press Ctrl+F in a folder it would pull up and I can search for things I want like the old magical days of XP. I've looked around for a bit, found many interesting, powerful choices, but none of them seem to indicate that they're integrated into the OS UI like that. I don't need complex boolean capabilities or particularly high speed, just something at least on par with XP's old relatively functional search feature; I usually know exactly what I'm looking for and where -- in this case I was looking for the specific terms in the contents of a bunch of text files so I can mod my game files (Civ4's XML's to be precise), so I am not searching whole drives, for the most part.

(You wouldn't believe how difficult that task proves to be in Win7 :I)

Oh, and it must be free. No paying for something a free and/or open-source program does just as well.

Recommend plz?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 10:13   Link #5083
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Oh I believe it just fine.

Quote:
Oh, and it must be free. No paying for something a free and/or open-source program does just as well.

Recommend plz?
Notepad++?
Old 2011-09-11, 10:16   Link #5084
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Notepad++?
Can it search more than one file at once?

I actually have it, but never really explored its functions outside simple text file editing. For example, in this case I was looking for all matches of the term "great_library" within the files in the folder "XML," and I want to search the whole folder all at once rather than going file-by-file. If it can do that, I'll be impressed. I know its search function within a text file is pretty sophisticated though (loved that).

Come to think of it, that does sound like a convenience for programmers who have to work with a lot of files.

Edit:

OMG, it really could do that. Not what I'm used to, but certainly a powerful function, and unlike Win7's search I think I could get used to this. I'll still be pining away for the simple old days of Ctrl-F yet though. Thanks, felix.

Last edited by Irenicus; 2011-09-11 at 12:50.
Old 2011-09-11, 16:11   Link #5085
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It's not really good for programming IMO. More like simple scripting at best.

It is the best free option though.
Old 2011-09-17, 03:18   Link #5086
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

And what the hell would that be?
Old 2011-09-17, 03:22   Link #5087
HasuMasu
*Artist

You've never seen one? Yeah, me too.

Like, it's a crab, but with chicken legs, and a shark tail.
Old 2011-09-17, 09:02   Link #5088
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I have a bit of problem here.

My houses have several computer connecting to a single internet network through router. But since yesterday. whenever i plug my internet cable into the router, the whole house's internet is dead. We thought the problem was due to the router at first. Bought a new one, but it didn't work.

So i updated Window for my computer, and it started to work fine for the past 4 hours (Damn you, Microsoft). But just recently the problem start to occur again, except if i replug my internet cable, the whole house can access the internet for another 15-25 minutes. This process has happened twice so far in the past hour

Even now i still don't know if it will go off anytime soon or not.

Any guess on what is the problem?
Old 2011-09-18, 20:44   Link #5089
Kudryavka

Ok, once someone gave me this boba drink that tasted like green tea, but it was as orange as carrot juice. :? Can anyone tell me what flavor that was? Why was it orange?

Another question: How do you get to go to E3? Is it one of those things where you don't ask, you just magically get an invitation one day (considering what you do to help the VG industry)? I heard that you could get in just by working in the Electronics department at Target, but now I'm skeptical.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2011-09-18 at 21:51.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-19, 06:25   Link #5090
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Another question: How do you get to go to E3? Is it one of those things where you don't ask, you just magically get an invitation one day (considering what you do to help the VG industry)? I heard that you could get in just by working in the Electronics department at Target, but now I'm skeptical.
It's pretty much like any media convention, you buy tickets for one day, multiple days. HOWEVER it isn't open for just everyone you need to be part of the industry and when the registration opens for tickets show some form of proof that you are in it.
I don't know if you can purchase tickets if you work at an Electronics Department, it might be possible if you are a student doing a game or 3d course but again not sure. There was a multi media convention in my country that had the same rules but students could get in for a massive discount (though it was still pretty expensive).

Also a simple google; http://www.kgbanswers.com/where-can-...-2012/20628633

Remember you can follow the entire convention online as well since evrything is being streamed, /v/ always makes a big event from it and it was great fun last year.
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 15:02   Link #5091
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
OMG, it really could do that. Not what I'm used to, but certainly a powerful function, and unlike Win7's search I think I could get used to this. I'll still be pining away for the simple old days of Ctrl-F yet though. Thanks, felix.
I've gotten by using a combination of: Quick Search & Replace for searching file contents and Search Everything, which indexes the files on your hard-drives so you can search through all of them very quickly. Search Everything runs in the background (~40 MB RAM used), and seems to monitor file/folder changes rather than hammering your hard-drive all at once like Windows Indexer does.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 15:45   Link #5092
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
My problem is simple: I want something integrated, like, something that when I press Ctrl+F in a folder it would pull up and I can search for things I want like the old magical days of XP. I've looked around for a bit, found many interesting, powerful choices, but none of them seem to indicate that they're integrated into the OS UI like that. I don't need complex boolean capabilities or particularly high speed, just something at least on par with XP's old relatively functional search feature; I usually know exactly what I'm looking for and where -- in this case I was looking for the specific terms in the contents of a bunch of text files so I can mod my game files (Civ4's XML's to be precise), so I am not searching whole drives, for the most part.

Recommend plz?
I've always liked Agent Ransack. I don't think you can do the Ctrl-F thing, but there's a context menu option for it when you right-click a folder. It's pretty fast, too, with no pre-indexing.
Old 2011-09-21, 19:03   Link #5093
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Mm, well I've been using Notepad++ as a stopgap measure and it's been working fine, works as intended you could say, but I suppose I eventually will have to get a real search alternative in case a different need comes up. All three looks interesting but I'll probably go with Agent Ransack. I can live with context menu and it seems quite powerful already. I tend to keep my PC nice and tidy so search everything's indexing capability is not needed.

Thanks to both of you.
Old 2011-09-21, 19:10   Link #5094
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Best place to ask this I suppose ...

Is there a way to retrieve the username/password for a pixiv account?
Old 2011-09-21, 19:56   Link #5095
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Best place to ask this I suppose ...

Is there a way to retrieve the username/password for a pixiv account?
Right here.

Never knew they had an english portal.
Old 2011-09-21, 21:01   Link #5096
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Here's a question related to AnimeSuki forums as a whole:

I frequently visit another site that uses vBulletin (name reserved to prevent "Advertisement"), and it has been having some SERIOUS troubles with maintaining constant activity. The server is becoming overworked, and the administrator is finding no way to help alleviate the strain. Nearly every day several times, the server goes down and stays that way for a good 30 minutes.

Are there any protocols the administrators/site staff/moderators follow to help prevent AnimeSuki from becoming blasted with too much data (besides having larger data available, as a larger or better computer is not available to him at the moment)?
Old 2011-09-22, 20:26   Link #5097
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Not a silly question but why do Japanese people drive at left instead of right such as in South Korea for example. My country also drive at left because it is a Commanwealth country, much like in UK. As far as I know Japan isn't one of them. Thailand and Indonesia also much like that too.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 00:29   Link #5098
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Not a silly question but why do Japanese people drive at left instead of right such as in South Korea for example. My country also drive at left because it is a Commanwealth country, much like in UK. As far as I know Japan isn't one of them. Thailand and Indonesia also much like that too.
This answers your question, along with various other related questions that I had.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ve-on-the-left

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 14:52   Link #5099
Revelation
lorem ipsum dolor sit ame
*Artist

Really random: Why don't those pet ant farms that you buy with the ants included ever come with a queen ant? I remember having one a long time ago when I was 12 but they all died so fast.
Old 2011-09-24, 18:43   Link #5100
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Dream View Post
Really random: Why don't those pet ant farms that you buy with the ants included ever come with a queen ant? I remember having one a long time ago when I was 12 but they all died so fast.
The capitalist answer is that "so you'll buy another packet of ants".
The safety answer is that a queen ant would rapidly have you dealing with thousands and thousands of ants.

"Seamonkeys" are my favorite.. they always show a happy little cartoon family in the ads... and then you discover the little crustaceans are cannibals and eventually there's just one large ugly bugger staring at you from in the tank.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious