AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-10-22, 14:08   Link #1
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Seikon no Qwaser

Author: Yoshino Hiroyuki
Artist: Satou Kenetsu
Categories: adventure, ecchi, mature, school life, seinen, supernatural

The St. Mikhailov Academy student Oribe Mafuyu comes across a mysterious silver haired boy. He is called a Qwsaer, a being that draws power from Soma and is able to manipulate a specific element. And now, in the 21st century, the mystery revolving around an Icon turns the academy into the battlegrounds for the fight between the Qwaser!

I've read the first 3 chapters(of the 7 translated), and I'm loving it. Great art style, great chars, and great storyline. Though the overall tone has been more serious with action, and a dash of comedy, it's been pretty good. Mafuyu is a solid protaganist, the strong-willed type that wants to protect her good friend, Tomo. Tomo is good for her silly antics. Teresa is the "moe" one I guess, but she's so cute and I just LOVE how the top of her hair looks like animal ears. The main male char, Sasha is the lonely, solitude type. He may not be original, but at least the way he acquires his energy is totally.... well, different . As cold and straightforward he is, at least he shows some consideration where it's needed.

The action is drawn with quite a bit of detail, so it's at times it's hard to follow everything that's going on action-wise(dont ask why, that's just how it is for me ). Though they refer to it as alchemy, as the various fighters can bend/shape their tools/weapons as they see fit, it seems more like chemistry to me, since Sasha and the first villian seems to manipulate an element(think periodic table: Sasha manipulates iron and the first villian manipulates magnesium). If future alchemists, enemy or ally, also manipulate a single element from the peroidic table, it feels like it'd make for a good, but different power system, and one i've never seen before(from my own experiences).

Spoiler for chap 3:

And I apologize if it seems like I'm overexaggerating a bit here, but my first impression of this was great, so if ya got a moment, take a look. The author really did a great job pulling me in, having the right balance of plot, comedy and drama and keeping things interesting in the first 3 chapters.

Last edited by frubam; 2008-10-22 at 15:43.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 01:22   Link #2
TrueKnight

I've followed it since its first got scanlated. I found the breast milk power drinking hillarious and what got me hooked in the first place. Not only that, the girls are drawn ridiculously cute. Its the same author as the Mai-Hime and Otome manga so no surprise here, but its definitely a plus. True though that the fights are well detailed.

I don't think Mafuyu is the main protagonist, but still one of the mains, because the role belongs to Alexander. Alexander is a bishounen and lonewolf all but atleast he is badass. He got a few collection in his mini harem, with Theresa being my favourite. ;p
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-29, 21:16   Link #3
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
Piqued my interest.

Why is the loli so damn evil? I mean even though she chained up that sniveling snot's equally jerkass number two, it still feels so... evil!

It seems this one is more here for the fanservice and possible character development, because the plot feels kinda generic.

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Sin Ansem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 08:04   Link #4
frubam
simp for Lyria

Yeah, I suppose I'm in it a bit for the fanservice myself, the way they get Soma is unique to me. I don't like the fact that Sasha changed with his "protect Tomo" motif, which pushes him more toward generic territory. Well I still like the chars, even Katja, and I'll agree, Teresa is the best char in the manga; so cute(that hair that looks like animal ears <3) and can fight.
Old 2008-12-03, 08:10   Link #5
Tiberium Wolf

I think this one goes beyond fan-service... more close to an eroge type.
Old 2008-12-03, 14:10   Link #6
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
Somehow I like the bondage motif the element folks share, and I don't feel guilty, either XD

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Sin Ansem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 00:47   Link #7
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I dislike Mafuyu alot; It's one thing to be relatively hopless in a fight, it's another to be the one who drags other people into trouble, and still doesn't think there's anything wrong with it.

Sadly, Sasha lost his cool when he became tamed by her food -_- Well that, and ever since he lost to a little girl >.>
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 08:22   Link #8
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Not like i really want to complaint, but seriously, the only thing that has been evolving in this manga is not the storyline or character development, but the echiness....... and rapidly in fact.....
Old 2009-05-18, 12:47   Link #9
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

People, I'm bringing news to you.

Seikon no Qwaser will have an anime adaptation.

Details can be found at Anime News Network.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-23, 17:46   Link #10
frubam
simp for Lyria

God, just... GOD
Spoiler for chap 13:

Last edited by frubam; 2009-05-24 at 02:48.
Old 2009-05-25, 17:12   Link #11
frubam
simp for Lyria

I can't imagine how I missed the fact that there was already a topic for this =_=(prob the spelling in 'Qwaser"). If a mod could kindly concatenate both threads....
Old 2012-04-05, 06:27   Link #12
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I have read the manga for a long time and I became fan after that. After finishing the chinese scanlations (I'm up to chapter 63), there's a huge revelation during the Meteor arc :
Spoiler for Edgar's character:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-17, 11:41   Link #13
Maxaumus

man this story isn't making alot of sense, people are constatly doing things that make no sense at all or not explained. plus just about everyone in the story is a bad guy or working for them
Maxaumus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-02, 02:26   Link #14
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I'm reviving this thread, because I'm curious to know if serialization for this manga ended long time ago, has recently ended, or is about to end.

Last thing I know was that I stopped reading, perhaps, at chapter 44 though I do not recall when I completely stopped.

Could anyone please tell me just how many chapters have been released so far?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-02, 03:13   Link #15
RED IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
I'm reviving this thread, because I'm curious to know if serialization for this manga ended long time ago, has recently ended, or is about to end.

Last thing I know was that I stopped reading, perhaps, at chapter 44 though I do not recall when I completely stopped.

Could anyone please tell me just how many chapters have been released so far?
63 ch so far
RED IV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, shounen