AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-04-08, 12:57   Link #161
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'm also finished watching Death Note dubbed, and I'm genuinley impressed with the dubbing.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 05:18   Link #162
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

The English dub for Hyper Police is quite excellent...although Natsuki's voice can sometimes be grating.
Old 2010-04-13, 09:54   Link #163
A l l e l u j a h
Ultimate Cyber Newtype

Send a message via Yahoo to A l l e l u j a h
[sarcasm] Try the english dub of Gundam G, it's awesome! [/sarcasm]
A l l e l u j a h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 10:03   Link #164
hinakatbklyn

It's been years since I heard the dub for G Gundam. Maybe not awesome, but it still gets a passing grade.
Old 2010-04-13, 12:17   Link #165
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I just enjoyed the dub to The Cat Returns. In fact, pretty much all the Studio Ghibli film dubs have been good. The dub to The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is pretty good too.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 16:02   Link #166
qwertyuiopz

the best dub ive heard is zoids new century
i havent heard the original yet because its impossible to find but i probably dont want to since the dub is so good
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 00:06   Link #167
EternalDestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiopz View Post
the best dub ive heard is zoids new century
i havent heard the original yet because its impossible to find but i probably dont want to since the dub is so good
I agree. Ocean group's voice actors are pretty talented. the voices usually does an excellent job in matching with the characters.

I would say that InuYasha had a pretty good dub, as well.
EternalDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 02:25   Link #168
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
It's been years since I heard the dub for G Gundam. Maybe not awesome, but it still gets a passing grade.
Not the best out there, but considering the rarity of english dubs that don't make you cringe every other sentence, it's pretty good. At the very least, I thought Domon and Master Asia's VA were good, though Rain's lacked... emphasis.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but all of the Miyazaki films have excellent voice acting. Sure, the translation isn't always 100% direct, but I haven't had any problems with them. I've enjoyed films like Nausicaa, Mononoke Hime, and Spirited Away equally in both japanese (eng subbed) and english.
Old 2010-04-14, 21:54   Link #169
dDk

Although not an anime, i thought the Final Fantasy XIII game dub was one of the best dubs done. Besides that, i usually steer away from english dubbed anime, the last english dubbed anime i watched was probably dbz.
dDk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 20:26   Link #170
FireChick

What do I think are the best English dubs? Well...

Sasami Magical Girl Club: In my personal opinion, this is FUNimation's BEST ENGLISH DUBBED ANIME EVER!!!...for VERY good reason. A lot of you may hate me for saying this, but for me, the Japanese voices for some of the characters were just DOWNRIGHT AWFUL!!! Especially the voices of Makoto and Kozue!! My God, they sounded like old women who suffered from vocal chord paralysis!! Thank God, FUNi made them (and others) sound perfectly normal and realistic! YAY!!!

Digimon Adventure and Tamers: I mostly put these on here for the voice acting and adaptive script, not the edits. If you think about it, most of the voices in these two seasons of Digimon are actually very good, along with their adaptive scripts. Sure Adventure tended to change some of the dialogue from the original, but after watching some of the Japanese episodes, some of the Japanese dialogue made no sense to me, and I think the scriptwriters did a good job in changing some stuff and making it feel more natural and make more sense (I wish FUNi could do the same with Hanasaku Iroha and Wandering Son if they ever license them). Tamers...is just downright awesome. I especially think the voices of Rika, Impmon, and Lopmon are better than their Japanese counterparts. Rika sounds awesomely bad***, Impmon sounds less like his Japanese voice (he sounds like he smoked meth in the original!!!), and Lopmon is just downright adorable! I love that sweet voice of hers (yeah I know she's supposed to be a boy in the original but I don't care!)!

Summer Wars: It's FUNimation! Enough said!

Haibane Renmei: WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DIE, GENEON?!? This was one of your best English dubs yet, and it consisted of basically nothing but newbies!!

Durarara!! Just awesome. I mostly love Kida's voice! So wonderfully teenage guyish and realistic!

Nabari no Ou: Another one of FUNi's awesome dubs. Yoite, Miharu, and Yukimi's voices are INSTA-LOVE!!!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-06, 20:00   Link #171
Ebullition

Full Metal Panic
Ebullition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 05:59   Link #172
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Onegai Sensei [Please Teacher]

Honestly, I watched the whole thing in English and it was awesome! I normally hate dubs but this was really awesome, the cast suited their characters really well.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-07, 06:32   Link #173
HasuMasu
*Artist

There are a lot of good ones, but Death Note takes the cake with this, every single time.
Old 2011-12-09, 20:17   Link #174
Hippo
Careful now.

Nerima Daikon Brothers is one of my favourites, I think the songs work really well in English. The Ghibli ones that Disney do are always of a high standard too although I prefer the Fox version of My Neighbour Totoro (maybe that is because it was the first version of the film I saw). Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Panic! are both very good. I think there are a lot of good dubs around now, much better than some of the ones in the 80s and 90s.
Old 2011-12-10, 04:28   Link #175
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

My bride is a mermaid is fantastic dubbed

Summer wars is also great

Busou renkin was also pretty damn good
Old 2011-12-10, 04:44   Link #176
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

You know, this thread has been so informative to me as i rarely watch Eng-dubbed anime since I was traumatized by the horrible English dubs of some 90s anime. The last time I watched decent Eng-dub was from Cowboy Bebop if that even counts since I don’t know how good the quality of the recent anime’s Eng-dubs.
Old 2011-12-10, 22:15   Link #177
webkid94
*Author

Best dubs? (no order)

Eureka Seven - As much as i dislike this show the dub beats the sub. Holland, Renton and Eureka were great dubbed (Johnny Yong Bosch as Renton? WTF?) and so was Anemone. Dominic was meh (in both languages)..

Death Note - Brad Swalie is just so damn talented as Light, the potato chip scene works only in english. L was pretty good and Near was great dubbed.

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu LOVE Akihisa's voice it fits him better than Hiro Shimono's version. Himeji sounds like an airhead (thus, the dub does a great job!), Minami sounds great and Yuuji is also good.

Bleach - I like dubbed bleach over subbed. Rukia is very good dubbed.

Code Geass - It's very hard which is better sub or dub overall, BUT individually:
-Dubbed Lelouch, Dubbed C.C, Dubbed Suzaku, Dubbed Kallen, Dubbed Lloyd
-Subbed Rakshata, Subbed Diethard, Subbed Wakamoto Emperor, Subbed Everyone Else

So yeah Emperor alone makes it a coin toss to watch dub or sub. Lelouch's laugh is better dubbed and Kallen pissed off is also better dubbed. Suzaku screaming...yeah keep the sub.
webkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 00:59   Link #178
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Making no actual judgement of the shows themselves, but just their dubs, I've always held the following as the best English dubs out there; my criteria being that I enjoy watching them in English over Japanese or I thought somehow they managed to get English voice actors who sound almost exactly like their Japanese counterparts:

* Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex and its sequels
* The Melancholy of Haruhi (first season; the continuation had a noticeable drop in both quality and translation/editing)
* Outlaw Star
* Crest/Banner of the Stars series

...a bunch of others, but that's all I can recall off the top of my head.

I went through a long period where I hated dubs, which I blame on some truly horrible dubs from the 80s and 90s when I first started watching anime, but over time I've come to appreciate them a lot more. I've come to the conclusion that it's rarely the actual voice acting that bugs me on the dubs I dislike, but whoever was in charge of translation and editing to fit the English speech to the animation that ends up making me dislike a dub.

I know there are purists out there that demand realistic translations, but I far prefer the translator being very loose about the translation to fit the English language when needed.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 11:12   Link #179
Hippo
Careful now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I know there are purists out there that demand realistic translations, but I far prefer the translator being very loose about the translation to fit the English language when needed.
I agree, especially when it is something which is meant to be funny and just doesn't work in English as a literal translation, I'd much prefer it to make sense to me than be a direct transaltion.
Old 2011-12-12, 11:53   Link #180
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by webkid94 View Post

Bleach - I like dubbed bleach over subbed. Rukia is very good dubbed.
Rukia is good but I don't like Bleach's dub because Viz changes lines....and it's less funny. For example, the early scene with Rukia standing on top of Kon:
Subbed Kon: "Haha good angle" (he's looking up her dress)
Dubbed Kon: *says something about his own name....I dunno but it's stupid. >_>

Quote:
Code Geass - It's very hard which is better sub or dub overall, BUT individually:
-Dubbed Lelouch, Dubbed C.C, Dubbed Suzaku, Dubbed Kallen, Dubbed Lloyd
-Subbed Rakshata, Subbed Diethard, Subbed Wakamoto Emperor, Subbed Everyone Else

So yeah Emperor alone makes it a coin toss to watch dub or sub. Lelouch's laugh is better dubbed and Kallen pissed off is also better dubbed. Suzaku screaming...yeah keep the sub.
I actually don't think Bosch's voice works for Lelouch at all. The laugh is great but not regular speaking. Lelouch is supposed to have a very refined voice so when they chose the same guy who plays Ichigo, my reaction was "WTF no". lol