AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-02-16, 10:50   Link #881
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
On another note Vight is mentioned again. It was the little girl's hometown last episode where the "Invisible Death" happened. Now we learn it was the frontline of the recent war.
IIRC it was Vingt (20), not Vingt-et-Un (21) which is little girl hometown.

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 10:50   Link #882
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Or they could invest in a radio.....-__-

Even Panzertruppen in WWII had them....

Also yeah...nice sending your armour foward on suicide runs...
Maybe it wasn't intentional. The tank could have just gotten ahead of the rest of their unit, got sighted by the enemy and picked off.
Old 2010-02-16, 11:12   Link #883
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Or they could invest in a radio...
So far I've not seen any sign that radios even exist in this world.

Even the guy in the second-hand shop in Haibane Renmei had a radio set (as for where the broadcast was coming from, is anybody's guess) but we've not seen any sign of broadcast media in this world.

Maybe it's another lost technology, or the big war screwed up the ionosphere blocking transmissions, or something.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 11:14   Link #884
PastPrime

I wonder about Nomansland and the dead oceans. Were they victims of the fighting, or did mankind, knowing it was about to be exterminated, adopt a scorched earth policy. Salt the earth and poison the waters so that when the enemy wins, they will have nothing. And, as a result, the enemy left because there was no longer anything to be gained. With, perhaps, a few of their organic weapons left behind, that were eventually destroyed by the remaining humans, hence the local legend.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 11:22   Link #885
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
I wonder about Nomansland and the dead oceans. Were they victims of the fighting, or did mankind, knowing it was about to be exterminated, adopt a scorched earth policy. Salt the earth and poison the waters so that when the enemy wins, they will have nothing. And, as a result, the enemy left because there was no longer anything to be gained. With, perhaps, a few of their organic weapons left behind, that were eventually destroyed by the remaining humans, hence the local legend.
It didn't work in the Terminator series or The Matrix series.

The opponents were prob other humans imo. If you have spider tanks that can crawl on buildings, then to eliminate them, you need a big cannon. Like using insect spray on an ant swarm or a hornet's nest. It's inefficient to pick them off one by one. Gotta destroy a lot of turf to eliminate them all.

We're only seeing this from one side's perspective.
Old 2010-02-16, 12:31   Link #886
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
The opponents were prob other humans imo. If you have spider tanks that can crawl on buildings, then to eliminate them, you need a big cannon. Like using insect spray on an ant swarm or a hornet's nest. It's inefficient to pick them off one by one. Gotta destroy a lot of turf to eliminate them all.
If it was Humans vs Humans in an all-out war, then you won't need tactical devices like highly-maneuverable tanks, much less seeing them in urban warfare. Humans like to use bombs -- to play safe -- so you'd either see strategic bombers, ICBMs, and maybe even orbital weapon systems. If that bird-like bio-mech was of Human origin, then they could have just used the above to threaten the opposing country's leadership. In the case of aliens, bluffs like this won't work since the humans have no intel on their operation command center or w/e.

And besides, the technology is obviously different. The spider tanks have a metal finish and are built around function (maneuverability) rather than form. The bird-like bio-mech has feathers, like a bird, and its form does not grant it any advantage or disadvantage when its main weapon is one big Red Laser of Death. The weapon might as well have been mounted on an orbital weapon system, or a battleship, or a Gundam.

Anyway, I think the oceans and Nomansland were probably victims of the fighting. Perhaps the humans used nuclear warheads on most of the ocean battles and throwaway areas, while Nomansland was perhaps the result of multiple Red Lasers of Death.

Or, perhaps the aliens cleaned out the place during their stay. Valuable natural resources, after all. Or perhaps, they experimented on the planet. The legend said that only the females were dragged into the labyrinth, so perhaps they had some weird experiments going on.
Old 2010-02-16, 12:40   Link #887
Midonin
Last Engage

Just been confirmed that besides the twelve episodes airing on TV, the DVD releases will have two additional episodes. Accounting for release dates, we won't get these episodes until June and September, respectively, but there will be a little more to the series than we're going to see.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 14:03   Link #888
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Just been confirmed that besides the twelve episodes airing on TV, the DVD releases will have two additional episodes. Accounting for release dates, we won't get these episodes until June and September, respectively, but there will be a little more to the series than we're going to see.
But it's a limited edition thing so it's not part of the main storyline most likely imo.
Old 2010-02-16, 14:05   Link #889
Midonin
Last Engage

Not everything has to relate to the main storyline. Sometimes a diversion to character build or world build can be just as well. Either way, these episodes will give the show an extra 48 minutes or so to establish its universe.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 14:09   Link #890
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
If it was Humans vs Humans in an all-out war, then you won't need tactical devices like highly-maneuverable tanks, much less seeing them in urban warfare. Humans like to use bombs -- to play safe -- so you'd either see strategic bombers, ICBMs, and maybe even orbital weapon systems. If that bird-like bio-mech was of Human origin, then they could have just used the above to threaten the opposing country's leadership. In the case of aliens, bluffs like this won't work since the humans have no intel on their operation command center or w/e.

And besides, the technology is obviously different. The spider tanks have a metal finish and are built around function (maneuverability) rather than form. The bird-like bio-mech has feathers, like a bird, and its form does not grant it any advantage or disadvantage when its main weapon is one big Red Laser of Death. The weapon might as well have been mounted on an orbital weapon system, or a battleship, or a Gundam.
You're talking about anime. We've had FREEDOM which used similar devices spiders against humans. GUNDAM and Gasaraki used mecha against humans and other mecha.

The spiders are using the citiscape more efficiently as cover imo. Plus, it does give a good creep factor to the opposing side imo. The opposite side had to get rid of their "infestation".

Besides that cannon had to have ground support to keep the spiders at bay until it powers up to fire the killer shot. (Just like in EVA 1.0) We're being shown the "spider's" memory of the conflict so to speak imo.

Last edited by orion; 2010-02-16 at 14:22.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 14:21   Link #891
iczelion74
Lost Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
I hate to poke at a plot hole, but if the tanks have the ability to play music as we have seen, why do they still bother with the buglers? Or are we to assume that either this one tank is special/the tanks in the flashback didn't have that capability, being older models?
Many military practices are based on tradition not common sense.
iczelion74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 14:22   Link #892
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Well this ep blew me away, and I already liked Sora a fair bit.

I love pre-post-apoc war flashbacks! Blood! DESPAIR!... Although I have a feeling we won't revisit this often, but I'd happily proven wrong. More info on the world~

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 15:08   Link #893
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
The official website of the So-Ra-No-Wo-To anime series has announced on Tuesday that production on limited episodes for the Blu-ray/DVD releases has been green-lit. The unaired episodes will be included in the fourth and seventh Blu-ray/DVD volumes on June 23 and September 22, respectively. (The first volume, which ships on March 24, is pictured at right.)

Source: Saishin Anime Jōhō
There will be extra episodes in the wings, it seems.
Old 2010-02-16, 17:20   Link #894
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
wtf, did Filicia seriously take a chunk out of her hand when she nicked herself? The inside of the cut had different colouring and the outline went all the way around. Gross, man. That's some cognitive dissonance right there when, after waking up, she just looked at her bandaged hand and went 'I'm fine, I'm fine'.
Have to say I was a bit shocked when she took a good chunk out of her hand. Usually in that thing the person gives themself a minor cut. But there it was a pretty good chunk taken off and quite messy. Definitely dangerous to be working with a knife when your head isn't there. Though maybe Rio should be more cautious in the future since surprising someone with a knife can lead to a dangerous situation.

Quote:
It didn't work in the Terminator series or The Matrix series.

We're only seeing this from one side's perspective.
I'm not sure those two groups are valid comparisons. Both were mechanical and so wouldn't care about the condition of the planet. Plus the first one only seemed to care about killing humans period. If someone is coming all the way over to earth they are likely wanting the planet rather than coming by so they can own humans . Thus doing that damage to the planet could convince them it's a waste of resources to keep attacking. I'm not sure whether it was a massive human war or facing an outside threat, but either way it had devastating consequences for those that survived.

It's hard to tell without seeing more of the conflict. They held back a view from the enemy to keep us in the dark. Just a question if the damage was done intentionally (burn the land theory) or as a consequence of using advanced weaponry on the enemy.
Old 2010-02-16, 17:41   Link #895
Jay911

Send a message via ICQ to Jay911 Send a message via AIM to Jay911 Send a message via MSN to Jay911 Send a message via Yahoo to Jay911
I'm a medic and I've seen that kind of avulsion injury before, and while this may sound weird, it's refreshing to see that the stereotypical paper-cut on the tip of the finger wasn't sustained here. :lol: That is a much more believable injury to sustain when doing what she was doing.
Jay911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 17:59   Link #896
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

One of the things actually interesting about the series is that no one stops to explain what the heck is going on and why things are like they are. Everything just is .. and its left to the viewer to connect the dots on why there's "no radio" for instance. The story is being told from a small squad's point of view rather than the Big Leader viewpoint.

"Do you know what's going on?"
"No, probably another drill. ... What was that?"
Old 2010-02-16, 18:01   Link #897
Sparvid
*hic*

Noticed that the next three episode titles were listed on Wikipedia:

Spoiler:
Old 2010-02-16, 20:54   Link #898
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I find her flashback of the warring days where people entered the meat grinder of bullets and cannon fire, losing her closest friends in the process, an almost painfully beautiful contrast to the festival of the dead the town is celebrating. She's lost so much yes, but so has everyone else, and I believe those lanterns consist likewise of the lives taken by the war. She has her scars, but so does everyone else, and mostly because she's the first of the characters to have their pasts properly explored. The festival for me perhaps drives home the catharsis she's finally found after losing her dearest friends in conflict: that by placing the lantern with a smile she can let them go, to find peace with them and with herself. She carries her crosses, but she also carries their memories.

Was that a hallucination though. Or real...given the tech of the Old Era, I won't be surprised if they had some kind of life prolonging enhancement work done to people then....
Old 2010-02-16, 21:56   Link #899
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
Quote:
And...Amazing Grace is heard yet again..... You'd think they could use another bugle call.
Apart from the recording in the Takemiwossnim, we've heard Iria play it to Kanata, Rio (who learned it from Iria) play it and Iria play it to Filicia. It is more like she only knows one song.
Shiroi Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 03:18   Link #900
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Man, I was totally skeptical about this show for the first few eps, but the constant bone that gets thrown at viewers with the slight expositions really helps.

And Takemikazuchi is a veritable goodie-bag of exposition in the most literal sense.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life