AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Old 2011-04-25, 12:57   Link #981
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Ohana sure knows how to ruin everything she does.
Poor Minchi.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 13:30   Link #982
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
Ohana sure knows how to ruin everything she does.
Poor Minchi.
She didn’t exactly do anything.
Old 2011-04-25, 13:50   Link #983
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Maybe Ohana should just befriend Minchi the Takamachi way.
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 13:51   Link #984
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well she stopped telling Ohana to die... so that's a start?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 13:52   Link #985
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

What’s the Takamachi way?
Old 2011-04-25, 13:53   Link #986
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
In a nutshell, violence solves everything.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 14:02   Link #987
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

So you guys think Tsurugi is a sadomasochist?
Old 2011-04-25, 14:17   Link #988
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I admit no such thing. While 3 was an aberration - and that's putting it kindly - I thought 4 was totally consistent in style with the first two episodes. First of all, there was comedy in the first two eps and there was drama in the last one. Second, the presence of comedy does preclude a series being dramatic - and vice-versa. There were hilarious moments in True Tears but I haven't heard anyone ripping it for being a mindless comedy.
Well, maybe I can't get you to admit there's a shift in style. But several people (including myself) note how different it is to watch Ohana work at an inn and Ohana going to high school. Just feels significantly more lighthearted at school than it does back at the inn. Indeed, some of episode 4 was dramatic... and those were usually the scenes away from school. Most of all, the important thing is how much drama and comedy there is an episode. In episode 1, there were about nine parts drama to one part comedy. In episode 4, the ratio seems to have flipped around.

Quote:
I thought it would be about how she, her mother and grandmother would all come to understand each other through Ohana's interaction with Grandma. I saw nothing in episode 4 that made me think otherwise. Ohana's interactions with her HS colleagues are being treated as some sort of sign of the apocalypse, but her school life is part of life. This series is about her whole experience and I have no issues with her school struggles being a part of the depiction of that.
I don't see Ohana struggling at school. She seems to be playing the gossip girl and prying into Minko's love life (sometimes unintentionally, of course). To be blunt, some of us didn't come here to see Ohana act like a typical teenage girl in high school. We want to see Ohana become more mature - and at high school, we don't see that happening yet. Ohana exchanges casual banter with her fellow classmates, but that's uninteresting for some viewers. Yes, it's part of everyone's life. Some parts of everyone's life are boring. You mention the apocalypse... trust me, Ohana's high school life is not near as dramatic as the world's end. Otherwise, I'd be far more intrigued.

Quote:
We have two cours to work with here. It's too early to make final decisions about everything that's going to happen. That's plenty of time to tell a complete, balanced story that has many different facets. I don't consider that a negative - I think it's great.
Sure, but it's never too early to make some judgments on what has already aired. Some people don't like what they see now, which may or may not be reflective upon future episodes. They still have the right to be displeased with the anime at this very moment.

Being balanced can be a negative, mostly because it takes more skill and effort to sustain multiple themes, ideas, and moods. If a show is significantly better at coming-of-age than slice-of-life, then why even put in slice-of-life? Just stick with what you're great at doing. Don't ruin the tension by inserting some strange, out-of-place jokes (episode 3).

It can of course work positively when different facets are executed with high caliber. But there's also the problem of whether these facets mesh in together well. Truthfully, I think Hanairo is great at gripping drama and good at casual school life. Do these stylistic opposites really mix in together to create something better than just the drama alone? You answer yes... and I answer no.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 14:30   Link #989
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Also, do we really need more obnoxious male characters in the series? Besides, Kou, who's ok, the male characters combined have like 10 tons of fail between them. And that idiot is still there. Is it just me or do female heavy casts just cause guys to become retarded? Well, can't blame them THAT much, but still.
No they definitely do. Male characters in shows like these tend to be used as comic relief or obnoxious antagonists only as opposed to real characters with actual depth. You're not supposed to be focusing on them anyway though.

Also sounds like this show is following the rule where any show with an overwhelming female cast that takes place at least partially in a school eventually turns into a slow-paced light comedy no matter how it starts off. In this case the transformation appears to occur the second they get to the school parts and if I had to guess you probably won't see any more drama until the final episodes.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 15:01   Link #990
taichi-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Remember that Japanese school year starts on April, so it isn't strange to have that kind of age disparity within the same grade.
Yes thanks that's true

But I think in chapter 1 they said they(ohana and minchi) were the same age!

Maybe Tooru is going to work for the rivals,noooo! poor minchi!!
taichi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 15:03   Link #991
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
So you guys think Tsurugi is a sadomasochist?
That would explain her crush on Tohru.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 15:25   Link #992
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

You guys are all clairvoyants - I envy your ability to nail down what the next 20 episodes are going to be with such detail...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 15:25   Link #993
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
In episode 1, there were about nine parts drama to one part comedy.

Ok,so I just rewatched it,and i can't agree with this at all.

I'd estimate it's about 50/50 to me,maybe 60(drama)/40(comedy) maximum but nothing close to 90/10.
Old 2011-04-25, 15:32   Link #994
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

While I agree with Acejem's comment that episode 4 felt a lot like Toradora where as the first two had more of a True Tears vibe, I'm not sure that it actually marks a shift in direction.

Perhaps the best way to describe how I see this show is "slice of chaos". It is slice of life, but Ohana's life is much more of a bumpy ride than what you typically find in shows of this type. So to me, the shift in tone from episode to episode is actually part of the show's character. This is probably why I don't find the tone shifts that jarring.

I suspect the episodes themselves are part of a mosiac, and I expect the end result to be much, much more interesting that the sort of slice of lifes that people are accusing this show of becoming.

Consistency wise, the important thing for the writers is to maintain the character of the characters... ie, Ohana may be prone to oblivious moments just like other "high spirited" lead girls, but she also has a bit of "bite" that her competition lacks because she's stubborn and a bit world-weary. This is why my one major problem with episode 3 was how forgiving the inn staff was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
No they definitely do. Male characters in shows like these tend to be used as comic relief or obnoxious antagonists only as opposed to real characters with actual depth. You're not supposed to be focusing on them anyway though.
Eh, Tohru is an obnoxious prick but he's hardly a flat character. And of course, Ko is awesome but its too early to reintroduce him into the picture, it would kill the poignancy of him and Ohana getting separated. The novelist is obviously comic relief but that's one in three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Also sounds like this show is following the rule where any show with an overwhelming female cast that takes place at least partially in a school eventually turns into a slow-paced light comedy no matter how it starts off. In this case the transformation appears to occur the second they get to the school parts and if I had to guess you probably won't see any more drama until the final episodes.
I'd say there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. First because this show has avoided settling into any particular groove for long thus far, second because several scenes in episode four were obviously meant to set up the next round of drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi-kun
But I think in chapter 1 they said they(ohana and minchi) were the same age!
Remember that comment comes from Tomoe, who is 28. To her, her 16 and 17 year old coworkers probably are "the same age".

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 15:41   Link #995
tezu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
I also have a suspicion that Tooru might develop a small crush on Ohana. Though I don't know if he would act on it.
My suspicion as well, I just think someone like Tooru might actually prefer someone who's on par with him and dares to speak up or herself (in other words: NOT Minko)

And I hope Minko will move on from her crush on Tooru, maybe find some greater purpose. Otherwise her character is beyond redemption (If dating Tooru will be the end of the road for her, Ima rage!) while the other girls around her most likely will get some substantial character development.
tezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 15:48   Link #996
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That would explain her crush on Tohru.
Doesn’t that also explain why she doesn’t like Ohana? I mean, I’m sure if Ohana stopped being nice to her they could be BFFs.
Old 2011-04-25, 15:57   Link #997
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yes. Doesn't really explain why she gets along with Nako, though. Unless she's got a... hidden side to her. (OMG! Jirou was right again!)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 16:21   Link #998
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yes. Doesn't really explain why she gets along with Nako, though. Unless she's got a... hidden side to her. (OMG! Jirou was right again!)
I think she’s just neutral towards Nako. Nako also has “please don’t pick on me” written all over her face. Even if she or Thoru were to pick on Nako, it probably wouldn’t last long.
Old 2011-04-25, 16:29   Link #999
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Episode 4 freebies.

I'll take these. Thanks! I must say, I was reading a blog about this series and it makes me wanna watch it again (I gave up on the 1st ep since it didn't peak my interest).
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 20:22   Link #1000
LC
Shocking Pink

Glad to see Hanasaku Iroha back to form after episode 3! I loved this episode, even though it was not as dramatic as the first two. Nako has really grown on me since she actually forms complete sentences now. Minchi, otoh, has barely made any progress. She overreacts to every little thing Ohana does. I have a bit of sympathy over her seeing Tooru with Yuina, but not much. Speaking of Yuina, something about her irks me; she's easily my least favorite character so far.

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, p.a. works, pa works, romance, slice of life