Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-12, 06:25   Link #1
NordicOtaku

Recommend me an anime serie

Hey.
I just run out of good anime series, so I'm looking for some new series to watch and I'm having a bit trouble in finding some suitable series for me.

I really enjoyed:
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter
Great Teacher Onizuka
Chobits
Hikaru no Go

I've tried the following series, but didn't like 'em:
One Piece - too childish
RaXephon - too weird
Cowboy Bebop - didn't understand the serie ... it was very depressing too.

So, could anyone recommend me some serie, that I would like maybe .. :-)
I don't like mechas and too complicated plots :-P

Thank you very much.
Old 2004-12-12, 06:29   Link #2
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Try Juuni kooki the 46 episodes (legend of the 12 kingdoms) ^^ to me it doesnt have a complicated plot, but who knows hehehehe

[
Old 2004-12-12, 06:31   Link #3
seiftis
~defying fate

Maybe Bleach too?
And you should post this in the 'suggestions' section....
Old 2004-12-12, 06:51   Link #4
NordicOtaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiftis
And you should post this in the 'suggestions' section....
Sorry. I didn't know. I'm new here
Old 2004-12-12, 08:07   Link #5
Madell

Try a gundam serie....not Gundam Wing or God Gundam
Old 2004-12-12, 08:23   Link #6
London Stud

Flame of Recca? (32 episodes i think)
Yu yu Hakusho - Very Long (DBZ Long)
Tri Gun - (good light hearted fun)
Escaflowne - (Bots based)
Old 2004-12-12, 08:57   Link #7
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madell
Try a gundam serie....not Gundam Wing or God Gundam
Though I'd be inclined to agree with Madell, given what's been provided as examples of what you like and why you like them, I'd actually suggest Gundam Wing as the series you, NordicOtaku, are most likely to enjoy. However, though the plot is not all that heavy or deep, it tries to make itself seem as such and that might be enough to put you off it, in addition to the fact that it is a mecha show.

I would reccomend Dragonball. It is similar to Naruto in many respects, and while I'm not a fan of either show I must admit that what I've seen of Dragonball, and even the later Dragonball Z episodes, seemed to have better character developement. On the downside, the fights are drawn out to rediculous extents in all of the 'Z' episodes. Not so much in the earlier works. Dragonball as a whole goes downhill fast once it becomes DBZ, and becomes unwatchable long before the GT episodes start. My opinion, but my tastes are rather different than yours so you might think otherwise.

Bleach seems a good, fun shonen series. I've only seen the first couple episodes, but I like it so far. I think it would fit right in with what you like. It's not (at least in what I've seen) too childish, the plot is pretty straightforward, and it has action.

Trigun is good, wholesome fun. Give it a looksee.
Old 2004-12-12, 13:40   Link #8
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicOtaku
One Piece - too childish
If you thought One Piece was childish then you were mislead by the superficial aspects of the show. It is very cartoony, but the plots that Luffy and his crew get involved in are often much deeper, more interesting, and more mature than anything that the Konoha ninjas do. If you're looking for a recommendation, I'd say give this one another chance.
Old 2004-12-12, 14:30   Link #9
Madell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
Though I'd be inclined to agree with Madell, given what's been provided as examples of what you like and why you like them, I'd actually suggest Gundam Wing as the series you, NordicOtaku, are most likely to enjoy. However, though the plot is not all that heavy or deep, it tries to make itself seem as such and that might be enough to put you off it, in addition to the fact that it is a mecha show.

I would reccomend Dragonball. It is similar to Naruto in many respects, and while I'm not a fan of either show I must admit that what I've seen of Dragonball, and even the later Dragonball Z episodes, seemed to have better character developement. On the downside, the fights are drawn out to rediculous extents in all of the 'Z' episodes. Not so much in the earlier works. Dragonball as a whole goes downhill fast once it becomes DBZ, and becomes unwatchable long before the GT episodes start. My opinion, but my tastes are rather different than yours so you might think otherwise.

Bleach seems a good, fun shonen series. I've only seen the first couple episodes, but I like it so far. I think it would fit right in with what you like. It's not (at least in what I've seen) too childish, the plot is pretty straightforward, and it has action.

Trigun is good, wholesome fun. Give it a looksee.
Gundam wing is one of the worsts gundam series ever
Old 2004-12-12, 20:04   Link #10
ohtori_akio
Gold Saint of Pisces

From this list. I don't know whether you have previewed any magical girl titles. If you are interested in them I would recommend Revolutionary Girl Utena but it's a bit hard to understand at times since it has got plenty of subtext. My other two favourites of this genre are CardCaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon. Also some classic shows you should have a look at are Saint Seiya and Rose of Versailles.
Old 2004-12-12, 20:49   Link #11
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Of the current series, try out the following:
My Hime
HaniHani - Operation Sanctuary
Kannazuki no Miko
Old 2004-12-17, 05:14   Link #12
NordicOtaku

Thanks for the suggestions! :-)
Old 2004-12-17, 05:47   Link #13
Budweineken
Crap

Indeed... One Piece might look childish in the crust, but it does play with many deep plots and mature themes.... so definately give this another try....

I mean... more childish was Hunter X Hunter in the beginning than One Piece and you stuck with it... I bet you can't say that Hunter X Hunter is still a childish anime...

Also get Bleach, Samurai 7, Hajime no Ippo, Samurai Champloo, and sure watch some Gundams... i'd say get your hands on Gundam Seed and then catch up to Gundam Seed Destiny
Old 2004-12-17, 06:10   Link #14
soraryu

Since you did not state your preference for licenced/unlicensed anime, you might like to try:

Fanservice (some romance):
Onegai Sensei/Twins (genre: romance);
G-On Riders (genre: action);
Dears (genre: sort of sci-fi);
Girls Bravo (search for the uncensored version) (genre: romance)
Maburaho (genre: magic);

Action:
Getbackers (genre: psychic);
Konjiki no Gash (genre: action);
Prince of Tennis (genre: sport);
Old 2004-12-17, 10:02   Link #15
UserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicOtaku
Hey.
I just run out of good anime series, so I'm looking for some new series to watch and I'm having a bit trouble in finding some suitable series for me.

I really enjoyed:
Naruto
Hunter X Hunter
Great Teacher Onizuka
Chobits
Hikaru no Go

One Piece - too childish
RaXephon - too weird
Cowboy Bebop - didn't understand the serie ... it was very depressing too.

So, could anyone recommend me some serie, that I would like maybe .. :-)
I don't like mechas and too complicated plots :-P

Thank you very much.
... One Piece too childish? It's less childish than some series you listed above... I suggest you actually give it a chance. Though I bet you just looked at the art and thought it was childish...

But anyways. A great series I'm watching now is Twelve Kingdoms(Juuni Kokkai). Very good so far though I'm only on episode 5. Bleach and Yakitate is also good. Though you might not like Yakitate due to teh fact that you seem to judge things too quickly.

Slam Dunk and Hajime no Ippo are also great series.
Closed Thread