AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-06-22, 11:29   Link #1001
wao
OK.

1000th reply getto!

Firstly, thanks for the comments - Iso is really an interesting individual so it's no surprise that this event wasn't just fluff.
Spoiler for unnecessarily long reply to BluWacky:

@Shiroi Hane: ...I don't know either. I'll pretend I didn't see it or something, lol (actually I didn't notice it until now. It's part of the background though, not what they drew at least.)

And er, now for part 2 of Coil Night.
Warning: it is extremely messy, convoluted and doesn't make sense half the time because (a) my brain's half-gone and (b) it was a very complicated discussion so there's lots of conflicting/confusing bits among the reports; most hardly mentioned it as I think most of the audience wasn't that interested.
Also this is a pretty rough translation, take whatever you don't understand with your desired quantity of NaCl...

Spoiler for Part 2:

As usual comments, clarifications, corrections etc. are greatly welcome.
The following blogs were used as reference, please look at those instead if you understand Japanese:
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/paraselene/20080614/1213462137
http://yusurakinaco.blog92.fc2.com/blog-entry-145.html
http://easygoingway.cocolog-nifty.co...post_c1e6.html
Old 2008-06-22, 18:37   Link #1002
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
I don't have any real comments to make at the moment, but wanted to say how much I appreciate all the work you've put into this.
Shiroi Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 19:10   Link #1003
flick
電脳コイル'd

@wao: Wow, if I didn't love you before, I <3 <3 you now! Thanks for all the amazing work you've put in for this latest hotter-than-hot news! I read as much as I could digest (along with my revision notes) and it's really very interesting!

Thought it was very funny when Iso says that Tamako looks 17 when he draws her, and looks 27 when Inoue does the art. I would have guessed 20s myself (maybe I just remember her like that?)

And did Yasako really ever look boyish? I must have missed it. Let me re-watch the series again (excuses!)

To think that Finland was the country to try out the first RL 'virtual glasses'/Pacman thing. Now that was a surprise! I thought it was great how Iso decided to 'leave out' all the reality vs. virtual view of the world to maximise the impact in the later episodes. But umm... the city is updated by surveillance cameras? That definitely smacks of Big Brother, and then it makes me wonder: wouldn't the city be dotted with these things?

p/s: Woah, Megamass took in Tamako because she could be a scapegoat?? So didn't realise the conspiracy was that big!

Last edited by flick; 2008-06-24 at 17:59. Reason: It was meant to be 'scapegoat' not 'spacegoat'! >_< Thanks to Shiroi Hane!
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 15:58   Link #1004
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
Quote:
Originally Posted by flick View Post
p/s: Woah, Megamass took in Tamako because she could be a spacegoat?? So didn't realise the conspiracy was that big!
Well, it worked for the Golgafrinchans.
Shiroi Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 17:58   Link #1005
flick
電脳コイル'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroi Hane View Post
Well, it worked for the Golgafrinchans.
OMG... I've just noticed my typo! Clearly I need some help in the spelling department Turning more retarded by the day. Neuuuu!

Haha, but the Golgafrinchan thing made me laugh afterwards

p/s: sooooo editing it.
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 10:36   Link #1006
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

So Dattebayo has decided to begin subbing this series. I'm a bit puzzled as to why, given the lovely work already done by Ureshii and Anime-Kraze. What's more, the AS front page said there were something like 7,000 people on this torrent this morning.

I'd never discourage anyone from subbing this series; I'm just puzzled about why the decision was made and why this release seems so popular. Dattebayo's web site doesn't offer any answers.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 11:00   Link #1007
Cox
BEETLEJUICE!

"Bonus Announcement
DB is pleased to announce that it is picking up a new project, Denno Coil. This 26-episode series has already finished airing and will not be released on a weekly basis. This means we will get to it when we get to it, so please do not complain about slow releases. While Denno Coil is a departure from our other projects, it is an excellent series. We hope that you will give it a chance!"

They just want too...
Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 11:19   Link #1008
wao
OK.

Could this just possibly be... they like it so much they'd trying to get more people to try it by drawing folks who check other things Dattebayo does out of curiosity?!

Somebody in there must really really like it to want to translate the whole thing their way when the whole show has already been subbed. o_O Strange. Well, nobody's complaining so why not. I hope it works somewhat, but why do I get a feeling that most people who might check out Dennou Coil this way mostly because of the Dattebayo name would not really enjoy it that much? Or am I mistaken? Yeah, I probably am. More proselytizing is good!
Old 2008-06-27, 11:19   Link #1009
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox View Post
They just want to...
I rather figured that. I'm actually more puzzled about why 7,000 people jumped onto a torrent for this initial episode when they could have downloaded the other versions of it at any time in the past year.

Initial episodes of current shows rarely achieve such an enthusiastic response, never mind an episode for a show that's over a year old.

I don't think I've watched any shows subbed by Dattebayo. Is this level of response an indication of the quality of their work?

@wao: Kittens, huh? Why does that seem a bit, well, unusual for you in the choice of an avatar?
Old 2008-06-27, 11:32   Link #1010
ArabianSwan
Ureshii ^_^

Send a message via AIM to ArabianSwan
Well yah I would say they want to spread it even more. Consider all the Naruto fans out there worldwide who just happen to check DB site for new naruto and then see them do this. It would be a trust from a fan that my favorite group will only do good shows I personally know one of the listed translators and he will work on something only if he likes!
So kudos to interactii for spreading the base of Coil fans ^_^
ArabianSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 12:04   Link #1011
Kirarakim

I admit I did find it funny that a new group decided to sub this now but hey if it gets more people to watch Dennou Coil who am I to complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei
@wao: Kittens, huh? Why does that seem a bit, well, unusual for you in the choice of an avatar?
Cats are not unusual at all when it comes to Wao.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 14:19   Link #1012
Jerseykid

well that certainly was different
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 15:42   Link #1013
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I rather figured that. I'm actually more puzzled about why 7,000 people jumped onto a torrent for this initial episode when they could have downloaded the other versions of it at any time in the past year.
You grossly underestimate 1) DB's reach and 2) the lack of resourcefulness the typical Narutard/Bleach viewer has

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 15:52   Link #1014
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
So Dattebayo has decided to begin subbing this series. I'm a bit puzzled as to why, given the lovely work already done by Ureshii and Anime-Kraze. What's more, the AS front page said there were something like 7,000 people on this torrent this morning.

I'd never discourage anyone from subbing this series; I'm just puzzled about why the decision was made and why this release seems so popular. Dattebayo's web site doesn't offer any answers.
RSS spill over would be my guess on the later, if be the filter be configured to fansub group name only. Or there just being some kind of fansub group loyalty. -That also noting the lack of downloading surge of the title provided by the other groups. (Still need to give it more time to catch traction, though I have more beers in my fridge than they have active.)

It would be in hope though that they will at least give this series a chance.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 18:16   Link #1015
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
You grossly underestimate 1) DB's reach and 2) the lack of resourcefulness the typical Narutard/Bleach viewer has
Well, I admit to being entirely clueless about Dattebayo since I watch neither Naruto nor Bleach. I take it they're a well-known subbing group in that audience. Well then, congratulations to Dattebayo for their efforts to proselytize for a great program.

Edit: Well, I can see how I might have been unfamiliar with them since this is the only show of theirs listed on AS.

I can see how RSS might make this kind of thing appear numerically more significant than it actually might be. When I used RSS I generally filtered by program name or name and subbing group but hardly ever by subbing group alone. Nearly every group subs programs I'd like to see and programs I have no interest in. I guess that's less true for Dattebayo?

I readily admit there are vast expanses of the anime world that I know nothing about and haven't felt compelled to explore much either. As it stands I have enough to keep myself entertained and occupied.

I'm also happy to see that Ureshii has released two batch torrents. Maybe we'll get a whole other wave of Dennou Coil viewers! There weren't too many seeds, so I'm helping out with the beautiful 720p Matroska releases. Maybe some of you can, too.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-06-27 at 18:57.
Old 2008-06-27, 20:24   Link #1016
lanfear
DB Editor/Timer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to lanfear
DB chose to sub Denno Coil for a couple reasons:

We really like the show.
We thought Ureshii did a good job but disagreed with some of their stylistic choices.
We realize that even if we only release a couple episodes, we probably will introduce many new people to the show. (Yes, sometimes we use our power for good instead of evil.)

So if our release means that Ureshii gets a huge bump in downloads, we won't be particularly upset or surprised.

We actually intended to pick up the show back when it first aired, but it didn't happen for all the usual reasons.

Edit: I forgot to mention, we don't have an RSS feed for releases.
lanfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 22:16   Link #1017
Jerseykid

I have to admit, i would have never watched this if DB didn't sub. Infact when i checked animesuki today and saw it i thought it was a brand new anime.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 13:05   Link #1018
way2slow

Send a message via AIM to way2slow
I agree with Jerseykid.
I like DB's subs as they are the more professional type, apart from their trolling and screwing around with newbs who fall for it.
If it wasn't for DB, I wouldn't have watched Denno Coil. I will watch Ureshii's subs from time to time, but will continue to wait for DB subs.

Great job on the project DB.
props.
way2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-08, 01:52   Link #1019
jlee

I'm enjoying this series.

Only watched a few episodes...definitely watching the rest.
jlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 16:26   Link #1020
jsrv

It seems that the Visual Collection book was released about a week ago, but is out of stock in many stores including Amazon which didn't even have a chance to post an image of it.

Since it's a commercial book, it should be readily available in many places, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Was the book recalled or something? Maybe a printing error, or just problems in mass producing it?
jsrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction