AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-04, 09:42   Link #1
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Akb0048

I did a search and was surprised I couldn't find anything

From ANN:

Quote:
The official website for the anime inspired by the all-female idol group AKB48 opened on Friday and announced that the anime's official title will be AKB0048

As for the staff here it is:

Chief Director: Shoji Kawamori (Macross Frontier, Aquarion)
Director: Yoshimasa Hiraike (Amagami SS, Working!!)
Series Composition: Mari Okada (Ano Hana, Hanasaku Iroha)
Script: Mari Okada
Original creator: Shoji Kawamori
Character Design: Risa Ebata (Macross Frontier, Prism Ark)

Animation Production: Satelight

And here's your cast:

Mayu Watanabe (AKB48 Team B)
Mao Mita (NMB48 trainee)
Haruka Ishida (AKB48 Team B)
Sumire Satō (AKB48 Team B)
Sawako Hata (SKE48 Team KII)
Sayaka Nakaya (AKB48 Team A)
Kumi Yagami (SKE48 Team S)
Karen Iwata (AKB48 trainee)
Amina Satō (AKB48 Team B)

And we've now got a plot synopsis

Quote:
In an era when entertainment is outlawed, there is an idol group that offers underground guerilla concerts despite the danger. The name of that female group is AKB0048.
Until just before the annihilation of Earth, AKB48 shined as legendary idols.This is the story of the super galactic idol team that inherited that name.
In the beginning of the 21st century, a world war erupts over interplanetary travel technology. Humanity inflicts large-scale devastation upon the ecosystem and forces itself to make a mass exodus from Earth. In the year Star Calendar 00, a new era begins as humanity migrates to a self-imposed exile in space.

Before long, the (provisional) "Super Galactic Alliance" institutes a "Entertainment Prohibition Law" to control "entertainment and music which corrupts people's minds." Except for certain areas (zones of absolute entertainment defense), any form of entertainment is strictly punished. One by one, idols disappear, and people's minds are enveloped in darkness.

And so, people who were once called "idols" are now thought to be entirely extinct. However, there was an idol group who have arisen: AKB0048. They rise up as "illegal idols" who inherit the light and spirit of those legendary members of AKB48.
However, malevolent forces attack these girls who have overwhelming influence. The (provisional) Alliance government judges them as "terrorists" and cracks down on them. To protect their stage, their fans, and the citizens, the girls will take up arms and fight.

And so, it is now Star Calendar 0048…In this fateful year, the story begins for the 77th class of trainees who are to be chosen as new stars.

Last edited by totoum; 2011-12-14 at 10:55.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 10:02   Link #2
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I thought they should animate AKB49 Ren'ai Kinshi Jourei first. The story had plenty of substance.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 10:11   Link #3
tsunade666

^ what's the difference between AKB49 and 48?
another idol anime?
Old 2011-12-04, 10:14   Link #4
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Oh Okada what the hell are you doing hahahahaha.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 10:53   Link #5
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Oh Okada what the hell are you doing hahahahaha.
Lately, whatever the f*** she wants .

Nonetheless, she's the only reason why I'll be watching this, but I'm not expecting anything but possible (not guaranteed) lols.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 10:53   Link #6
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Are you serious right now Japan? Just cause something can be made doesn't mean it should.

Mari Okada I'm not even concerned about, I frankly never felt she was anything approaching good and talented as a writer and lately have realized that the one series I thought she did that was any decent in Ano Hana was actually the result of the director saving it from her mediocre ideas. So yeah nuts to Okada, it's Kawamori that is fastly getting concerning. Lately I'm sensing something of a death knell for Kawamori's relevance as a creator. The guy that gave us Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Macross Plus and The Vision of Escaflowne and worked on many series with broad appeal like Cowboy Bebop, Patlabor and Gundam as a mecha designer or writer has clearly started to make the full transition to the other side of the equation as yet another otaku friendly/pandering director. Basquash and Macross Frontier were where he kind of started morphing (as those were kind of where I noticed his shows coming more with the flavor of an otaku series while hiding behind the mask of something more ambitious) and I clearly saw it coming too and this will all but certainly complete his metamorphosis. Shame that lately he's been dragging Yoko Kanno down with him as well since her new music is nothing like the old stuff and now I'm kind of starting to piece together why. Fortunately she should have absolutely nothing to do with this...I hope.

Better keep enjoying this season, cause with what's been announced so far for next year it's looking like all the otaku pandering trends with TV series are only getting that much worse from here on out and that it is just indeed brief resurgence of decent animated fair....possibly the last hurrah.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-12-04 at 11:10.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 11:03   Link #7
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I saw the premise, and I was like, 'Okay, so it's AKB48 cashing in on the anime market. It won't be anything special...'

Then I saw Shoji Kawamori, and I was like, 'wuuuuuut?!'

Then someone pointed my attention to Mari Okada, and I was like, 'Oh what the...'

Now I have to follow this, if only to see just what the fuck they're up to with this one.

EDIT: Then again, if anyone in Japan knows how to say Listen To My Song and make people respond with YAKK DECULTURE, it would be Kawamori, if he can get Yoko Kanno on this one. So that well might be an inspired choice, but eh.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 11:31   Link #8
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

@Kaioshin
lol how hyperbolical are you
Idolm@ster the animation share same premise as this one n being one of finest show this year, even the moe critical like it.

I don't have much hope for this one can achieve what Im@s get though, n like I'm saying in other thread, the chara design is very bleh to me. Let hope at least the sakuga n concert is orgasmic, this is Satelight top front anime afterall.
Old 2011-12-04, 11:31   Link #9
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I saw the premise, and I was like, 'Okay, so it's AKB48 cashing in on the anime market. It won't be anything special...'

Then I saw Shoji Kawamori, and I was like, 'wuuuuuut?!'

Then someone pointed my attention to Mari Okada, and I was like, 'Oh what the...'

Now I have to follow this, if only to see just what the fuck they're up to with this one.

EDIT: Then again, if anyone in Japan knows how to say Listen To My Song and make people respond with YAKK DECULTURE, it would be Kawamori, if he can get Yoko Kanno on this one. So that well might be an inspired choice, but eh.
Listen to My Song isn't even initially from Macross Frontier. Learn your Macross lore son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
@Kaioshin
lol how hyperbolical are you
Idolm@ster the animation share same premise as this one n being one of finest show this year, even the moe critical like it.

I don't have much hope for this one can achieve what Im@s get though, n like I'm saying in other thread, the chara design is very bleh to me. Let hope at least the sakuga n concert is orgasmic, this is Satelight top front anime afterall.
Hey man, you watch one of your favorite old time creators consistently go down the path into an over saturated market you are completely and utterly against as a solution to TV anime's woes and see how well you come out of it. He's clearly capable of better than what he's been doing lately, but seems content to just go with cash cow type solutions these days and looks like he's given up on being a pure creator much like the majority of TV anime directors, writers and concept designers seem to have. I'm not even objecting to moe stuff, I don't know why people even think it's always about that topic. I don't even mind moe stuff when it's not the dominant draw for a series, I'm personally more against outright pandering and boring premises with little to no potential beyond a certain audience and this looks like the very definition of that. This sort of show that Japan is currently obsessed with isn't going to help grow anime, it's just another patch to try and stop the bleeding and increasing lack of relevance it has overseas these days cause nobody can seem to make something that will appeal to Western audiences outside of movies and OVA's. Tiger and Bunny is like the only show that came out this year that I think has a good chance of landing itself on North American TV or in the public consciousness at some point.

Power to the people that love this sort of thing and can get consistently excited over cute girls doing cute things and well animated concert scenes no matter how much anime relies on these two factors of late, but I'm heading right back to OVA's and Movies as my sole consumption of anime if Akb0048 ends up being a defining example of what I have to look forward to from TV anime over the next year or two. That said, this season right now...still pretty good overall.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-12-04 at 11:45.
Old 2011-12-04, 11:34   Link #10
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Listen to My Song isn't even initially from Macross Frontier. Learn your Macross lore son.
I know 'Listen To My Song' is a homage to Macross 7's Basara Nekki of Fire Bomber.

Keep the jumping to conclusions in check, grump, I've done my homework. Why don't you go over there and enjoy your nice, delicious pineapple salad?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 11:45   Link #11
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Better keep enjoying this season, cause with what's been announced so far for next year it's looking like all the otaku pandering trends with TV series are only getting that much worse from here on out and that it is just indeed brief resurgence of decent animated fair....possibly the last hurrah.
Having read a lot about the eccentricities of some anime directors before, and with an A-list staff going into this project, I think I'll wait and see.

Even the denizens of 2ch were bouncing off the walls once they heard the news, as witnessed by one of my close friends, a veteran translator, who ventured there:
Quote:
This prospect terrified otakus in 2ch. Let me share with you some of the predictions given in 2ch:
- This is clearly aiming at king of kings status We are talking about 6 digit sales!
- Nightmare!! Help!! This thread will turn into scorched earth by AKB believers!!
- AKB Haters (I mean all of you out there), kneel and prostrate yourselves to the conquerors!
- I know how the BD wil l be packaged:
>> 3 limited editions (1 with photo, 1 with handshaking event ticket, 1 with special jacket cover) and 2 more standard editions
>> no OP/ED CD, buy BD to get the OP/ED song
>> Only in BD can you listen to commentaries made by AKB members
>> Dance PV for the OP will only be available in BD
- At least the staff are reliable, maybe I can watch it as just an anime without thinking of the real AKB
As we were discussing this at another forum, some of us thought it was the craziest thing Kawamori had dived into (as if playing with ecological themes weren't enough), which spells "career suicide", but then me and some buddies figured that he'd been tinkering with enough stories involving pop songstresses and dogfights since 1982 that the idea of directing a show of this magnitude (and thus the huge risk) is too damn hard for him to refuse.

At any rate, Kawamori's gonna have his hands full within the next two years, with this, EVOL, and the 30th anniversary of Macross.
Old 2011-12-04, 12:05   Link #12
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Having read a lot about the eccentricities of some anime directors before, and with an A-list staff going into this project, I think I'll wait and see.

Even the denizens of 2ch were bouncing off the walls once they heard the news, as witnessed by one of my close friends, a veteran translator, who ventured there:

As we were discussing this at another forum, some of us thought it was the craziest thing Kawamori had dived into (as if playing with ecological themes weren't enough), which spells "career suicide", but then me and some buddies figured that he'd been tinkering with enough stories involving pop songstresses and dogfights since 1982 that the idea of directing a show of this magnitude (and thus the huge risk) is too damn hard for him to refuse.

At any rate, Kawamori's gonna have his hands full within the next two years, with this, EVOL, and the 30th anniversary of Macross.
One persons "A-List Staff" is another persons bundle of upstarts, misfits and nobodies. As far as I can tell this series has very little going for it so yeah...I'm basically here to lament what appears to be the career suicide for Shoji Kawamori. Even if it's "successful" (which I'm sure it will be with a popular name like AKB48....you know cause god forbid anybody can make anything for TV anymore without relying on some established big name to carry them) it's kind of really easy to see how this is going to go right from the get go just by looking at said "A-List Staff".

Cute girls doing cute things, lots of high pitched voices, stock scenarios that we've seen done in these types of shows many times before....probably one breakout character that helps to carry it into the second half (bet it's the bossy/busty chick archetype yet again), a big concert scene every time it looks like people are getting a little bored with the shows lackadaisical pacing and a sentimental ending to cap it all off. I've seen this show when it was called K-On and swapping out popular name for popular name for popular name as they've been doing since is unlikely to change a damn thing. For that you'd need a premise shift or genre-shift and I just don't see that happening. Japan is clearly to afraid to mix it up with what they see as a winning formula, and while it's not exactly fair to be this cynical and this decided on what a show is going to be like cause of the formulas you've seen in the past, this particular one has made it really easy.

Again huge shame as I could not see myself typing the above about TV anime even 5 years ago, but it kind of looks like it's hit a brick wall of creativity and experimentation that it just can't seem to get past cause nobody wants to take even the slightest bit of a risk anymore. It's the sort of thing that is plaguing Japan's video game industry too and has driven people like Megaman Creator (yes that repetitive formulaic milestone) Keiji Inafune literally out of the country in search of work. When the guy that created that franchise loses hope you know things are at a standstill over there, and while I don't subscribe to the total doom theory that 2ch does (though it's funny that there's a faction that finds these current trends as predictable and cynical as I have of late) it for certain is the continuation and acceleration of a disturbing beholdence by anime producers to whatever is popular in other scenes of Japanese sub-cultures these days. There was a time when TV anime was it's own thing and created it's own cultures and sub-cultures, but it seems that that era is all but over now.
Old 2011-12-04, 12:14   Link #13
sa547
*Author

Offtopic: As much as I don't want to say this, but it appears that you're trying to convince some that "the old days are the better days" kind of thing, and then you're expecting the whole sky to fall down on the whole anime industry (reminds me of the fierce debate over the relevancy of moe at the General Anime section) just because of decadent fan pandering.

Unfortunately, these are very hard times, and a studio has to make a profit in any way it could for the sake of survival, considering how expensive anime production can be (and still is), so I can't blame most studios taking gambles (except for the big old ones).

Ontopic: To be frank, this project has a lot of risk and money riding on it, a massive gamble. We can't be sure if this'll fly or crash and burn. Anyone has to wait and see, even the bitterest of critics, as this is clear the project can be very well thought of as the Titanic of anime (referring to James Cameron's high-risk hit of 1998, of course).

Last edited by sa547; 2011-12-04 at 12:45.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 12:18   Link #14
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

As long its actually involving the singing, dancing, n concert.. this kind of anime is fine for me.

And I think people should not worry this is the new "thing" in anime, because this kind of anime is hard to pull. Its need big budget and most likely established franchise to back it up (Im@s, AKB48, Maybe they gonna try make legit Vocaloid anime next time) and actually involving thing that's rare in anime : animation.
Old 2011-12-04, 12:54   Link #15
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Offtopic: As much as I don't want to say this, but it appears that you're trying to convince some that "the old days are the better days" kind of thing, and then you're expecting the whole sky to fall down on the whole anime industry (reminds me of the fierce debate over the relevancy of moe at the General Anime section) because of fan pandering.

These are hard times, and a studio has to make a profit in any way it could for the sake of survival, considering how expensive anime production can be (and still is), so I can't blame most Japanese studios taking risks (except for the big ones).

Ontopic: To be frank, this project has a lot of risk and money riding on it, a massive gamble. We can't be sure if this'll fly or crash and burn. Anyone has to wait and see, as this is clear the project could be called the Titanic of anime.
Not at all, I'm simply stating that there was a time when when it came to coming up with ideas for a TV anime the first inclination that producers had didn't seem to be to check for what was currently popular in Light Novel scenes (mostly because Light Novels weren't even around back then, though you'd honestly think the way things are now with anime being so beholden to whatever is a hit in the Light Novel scene nowadays that Light Novels came around before anime ever did), idol culture and 2ch (something anime also predates) so much as trying to make their own splash.

Sure a lot of these shows "failed" and are long forgotten (kind of like the "successes" of today are quickly forgotten for whatever is currently popular or for the next big otaku/LN fan friendly show), but at least they failed at being their own thing as opposed to someone else's.

So yeah if anything these posts are more a cry for more original in-house produced TV series (preferably ones that aren't like Guilty Crown ). Again not everything has to revolve around pro-moe/anti-moe and old vs. new. This is purely an issue of creativity and pride in ones work versus copy/pasting whatever is popular onto the formula that is least likely to backfire with a volatile audience. And yes this is indeed a volatile audience in AKB48 fanboys and there is indeed the chance of failure, but that is also precisely the problem as well cause it pressures writers and creators to not do anything that could conceivably offend said audience, which is yet another trend I kind of fault for making these series often turn out so cookie cutter and bland.

In these types of shows any sort of extended drama is a risk cause it could result in offending a particular sensibility towards the fans concerning one or more of the AKB48 idols. In these types of shows any sort of character conflict also runs the same risk as nothing is really allowed to come at the expense of the AKB48 crew or it might offend the hardcore fans that are going to supply the profit margin. In these types of shows you have to tread very lightly and carefully for what they are, and that usually results in the aforementioned formula of cute girls doing cute things, everyone being perfect and without character flaw (arguably read without character intrigue) so as not to unintentionally make offense of the idol and thus the fandom, and this usually results in all the drama (if there is any) being pushed towards the very end after the series has already made it's profit margin where it can be converted to pure sentimentality regarding the fact that the project is now over in what have become sort of meta-referential scenes that masquerade as the characters being emotional and conflicted when in reality it's just one last play on the audience that has just witnessed 12-25 episodes of something they've actually already seen done borderline verbatim, albeit with a different skin like say....Idolmaster or K-On.

With each series like this that anime studios do, the better they seem to get at playing the otaku/idol audience. Kyoani in particular used to get credited with being the genius company that had figured out how to work this audience around their little fingers, but frankly other companies have now made it look really easy too by doing what appears to be little more than what I've mentioned above. Also good promotion and holding of community events have helped as well (something Kyoani surprisingly lacked, but seems to have proven to be a key piece of the puzzle in the long run), but yeah it's all very cynical looking to me and comes off as pure pandering. Maybe if I gave anything approaching a damn about AKB48 I could potentially be hooked, but again it's just something that is so localized and I'm trying to understand why creators seem to think they can keep doing all this localized stuff and niche stuff and still expect to grow anime as a medium.

My only conclusion is that they are still just thinking short term and are unconcerned with growing anime at all and merely just trying to survive since as you put it these are tough times, but I'll add just one counter to that. Why does it seem like OVA and Movie creators are consistently able to put out intriguing and variable types of experiences while TV anime lags behind and struggles so much on the creativity front? Maybe it's cause those that are capable of affording OVA's and Movies are just capable of more, but then I look and see people like Makoto Shinkai, Takeshi Koike or Mamoru Nagano who are basically funding and developing ambitious movie projects out of their own pockets almost singlehandedly and it makes it look like it's really not all that hard as long as you just have the will. Have TV anime creators merely lost the will? It's an interesting question, but indeed this is going off topic and should probably be turned into it's own in the General anime thread.

Quote:
As long its actually involving the singing, dancing, n concert.. this kind of anime is fine for me.

And I think people should not worry this is the new "thing" in anime, because this kind of anime is hard to pull. Its need big budget and most likely established franchise to back it up (Im@s, AKB48, Maybe they gonna try make legit Vocaloid anime next time) and actually involving thing that's rare in anime : animation.
Yeah like I said some people can get into these things really easily, and I'm sure it would be especially easy if you're into the idol scene or just stage performances in general (I'm more of a theater/opera guy myself but have no love for pop-idols), but for those that aren't into that sort of thing and are starting to wonder if this isn't actually the next big thing (cause lately it's kind of looking like it is) I have to ask....what is here for us if indeed the next market being mined after Light Novels is the idol scene? I will also ask, why does something like an idol series even need a big budget or established franchise or even any established thing to back it up? Is it simply not possible anymore to just do an interesting original story about somebody struggling to make it as an idol or coming off the peak of their career or something and to just do it with good old-fashioned character drama and storytelling? Will that just not work at all anymore in your estimation? Does everything need a gimmick or hook to be at the forefront of a production like TV anime producers seem to think they do today?

I refuse to believe that making any given idol show is as challenging as you are making it out to be considering what I've seen from the ones made so far and how easy it looks to play the audience for them by following the cute girls doing cute things formula, and certainly the way you are putting it doesn't sound like much of a creative challenge so much as a manufactured financial one. Basically if we follow that formula, the sole key to TV anime success in the Japanese market can be summed up by paraphrasing from Scarface:

In this country, you gotta get the big names first. Then when you get the big names, you get the cute girls. Then when you get the big names and the cute girls, then you get the fanboys attention, and then when you get the fanboys attention, then you get the money!

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2011-12-04 at 13:14.
Old 2011-12-04, 13:00   Link #16
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Series Composition: Mari Okada (Ano Hana, Hanasaku Iroha)
Script: Mari Okada
Oh for fuck sake...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 13:06   Link #17
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So where is she going to find males to emasculate in this premise, I wonder?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 13:22   Link #18
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Yeah like I said some people can get into these things really easily, and I'm sure it would be especially easy if you're into the idol scene or just stage performances in general (I'm more of a theater/opera guy myself but have no love for pop-idols), but for those that aren't into that sort of thing and are starting to wonder if this isn't actually the next big thing (cause lately it's kind of looking like it is) I have to ask....what is here for us if indeed the next market being mined after Light Novels is the idol scene? I will also ask, why does something like an idol series even need a big budget or established franchise or even any established thing to back it up? Is it simply not possible anymore to just do an interesting original story about somebody struggling to make it as an idol or coming off the peak of their career or something and to just do it with good old-fashioned character drama and storytelling? Will that just not work at all anymore in your estimation? Does everything need a gimmick or hook to be at the forefront of a production like TV anime producers seem to think they do today?
*snip*
Well its just simply due its need more animation than usual (There is reason why most anime only have mouth clapping all the time on its animation), popularity to sell its CDs. etc.
Simple Idol anime with lack of budget and sugary animation that need lot of budget won't cut it IMO. Established franchise back-up at least make the project have target to shoot, put less risk after all the budget spending.
Old 2011-12-04, 13:26   Link #19
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Well its just simply due its need more animation than usual (There is reason why most anime only have mouth clapping all the time on its animation), popularity to sell its CDs. etc.
Simple Idol anime with lack of budget and sugary animation that need lot of budget won't cut it IMO. Established franchise back-up at least make the project have target to shoot, put less risk after all the budget spending.
So in other words no room for any real experimentation.
Old 2011-12-04, 13:39   Link #20
sa547
*Author

^
Okay, what do you really want us to see?

Before I sleep, I leave a quote here:
Quote:
"Making money is art and working is art and good business is the best art of all." --Andy Warhol
And an article about "selling out".

Tags
action-adventure, idols, musical anime