AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2006-12-17, 11:41   Link #301
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBTKaiser View Post
Yeah, the only real bitterness in the Da Capo world for the most part is
Nemu Vs. Sakura (D.C.)
and
Otome Vs. Yume (D.C. II)
Koko Vs. Nanaka(D.C. II, Nanaka Path)

...I think?
I think that's right.

Spoiler for D.C. II:
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-17, 18:03   Link #302
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
No catfight is inherently a good thing for me, anyway. I like people who can think logically and try to be nice. We're far from perfect, but seeing someone trying to be nice despite their struggle (or even if they fail at it) is something that gains a lot of respect from me.
Old 2006-12-17, 19:33   Link #303
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Then again, I guess that's boredom for you.
- I don't think it's boredom at all, but a desire as viewers to literally see some physical violence being done. I'd chalk it up to an inherent, maybe subconscious desire people have to see other people suffer. Why do you think a lot of adult-oriented visual novels seem to have a lot more of those "make the girl you like suffer" scenarios lately? Bread and circuses, kind of like the gladiatorial matches in Ancient Rome. Violent and explosive drama is a spectacle people want to see.

No, honestly, the way that popular culture as a whole has been going lately, I'd be more inclined to say that the people who have watched the DC anime aren't at all fans of the game, much less fans of the characters or the genre. To take an analogy (outside of Da Capo), let's take Kaede from Shuffle--while I like her character myself, I think that a great majority of her fans (Especially the Boxcutter Mafia) actually like her for her hidden mean streak and her viciousness against Asa in that one episode of the TV series. And don't get me started on Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (which I haven't watched, and might not want to watch, given the theme).

Okay I might be rambling now, but: Have you ever watched Soap Operas? I generally hate them, (When you live in a country wherein Anime is on at the same time as soap operas, you're on the losing side) but I've noticed that not only have they become more and more long-running and inane, they've also become a lot stupider: the 'drama' is heightened in such a way that it'd be considered retarded for most normal human beings to act that way over the top. But people expect that of Soap Opera, and many even consider it more realistic if people blow up and gut each other over a simple misunderstanding than trying to thresh it out and understand.

People don't want to see sensible, intelligent people trying to work things out. They want action. They want blood. They want someone to draw out an X-Acto knife and start opening up someone else's spleen.

Put simply? They want Survivor: The Anime Series. -_-

Last edited by wavehawk; 2006-12-17 at 19:46. Reason: additional comment
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-17, 21:01   Link #304
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Heh - you're preaching to the choir, man. It wasn't necessarily that I thought the desire for physical conflict was due to boredom, but rather this idea of watching shows in the genre, despite finding them "boring", for the sole reason that it may turn violent later on (even though most don't and were never designed to). That's what I don't understand; seems like a colossal waste of time to me.

Spoiler for Off-topic (Shuffle):
Anyway, it suits me just fine that almost all of D.C. II's conflicts are either "man vs. nature" or "man vs. self", and even the "man vs. man" conflicts are really just internal conflicts in disguise. All the resolutions are internal and draw on the characters' "inner strength". Perhaps it's the introvert in me, but I find that way more satisfying and interesting in a story. If it means that those seeking "Survivor: The Anime Series" watch something else instead, as far as I'm concerned, great...
Old 2006-12-26, 21:58   Link #305
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST View Post
No catfight is inherently a good thing for me, anyway. I like people who can think logically and try to be nice. We're far from perfect, but seeing someone trying to be nice despite their struggle (or even if they fail at it) is something that gains a lot of respect from me.
that reminds me awfully alot like Kotori's suffering, man i really felt for her Kotori forever!
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-27, 07:01   Link #306
◕‿‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
that reminds me awfully alot like Kotori's suffering, man i really felt for her Kotori forever!
My main complaint is that Kotori didn't get the attention she deserved in that show. I wanted to see her develop more and see her more on-screen. The show felt like it was about Nemu all over again, and considering I hated the leads last time...

Another example of what I said is Elis from Canvas 2. She wasn't very good at handling her feelings, but I had a lot of respect for how hard she tried ("shouta-kun, you're such a nice person...I wish I could be a bit more like that").
Old 2006-12-27, 18:39   Link #307
holyman282

Quote:
My main complaint is that Kotori didn't get the attention she deserved in that show. I wanted to see her develop more and see her more on-screen. The show felt like it was about Nemu all over again, and considering I hated the leads last time...

Another example of what I said is Elis from Canvas 2. She wasn't very good at handling her feelings, but I had a lot of respect for how hard she tried ("shouta-kun, you're such a nice person...I wish I could be a bit more like that").
I know what you mean avatar, the fact simply being when i saw the first ep of DCSS i thought good it will be more focused on Kotori, although i know

Spoiler for DCSS:
Old 2006-12-27, 19:17   Link #308
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Where have I heard all these D.C.S.S. arguments before... In any case, I'm not going to get into that here; we should probably take specific anime series discussion to the appropriate thread in the Fansubs forum. That way it can get broader participation from others who've watched the show (and know nothing about this game).

As for D.C.II, I'll try to post my summary/impressions of the C.D.C.D. D.C. II story soon. The short version is that this was the obligatory side-story/omake that was made to be written for D.C. II, though it's complete and total pandering and fanservice. As long as you don't try to take it seriously, it's pretty funny.

Also, the first D.C. II drama CD is coming out on February 10th -- appropriately enough, it's "Otome's Chocolate Box Memories"... just in time for Valentine's Day. Amazon link is in the first post of the thread with all the other merchandise, as usual.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot. I also got the Character Song Album CD, and I was surprised at how well all these seiyuu can sing, on the whole. I guess that's probably one of the criteria for getting the job, though, seeing as music plays such a huge role in the D.C. franchise. Even though it's probably not going to happen as long as Starchild is publishing, it'd be neat to keep the game VAs for the anime.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2006-12-27 at 19:31.
Old 2006-12-27, 19:19   Link #309
◕‿‿◕

I can't really find a character I dislike in DCII, so I doubt I'd have the same problem with it when the anime comes out. Who knows if I'd feel enough motivation to watch it, though...you may've noticed I hardly show up on the fansubs forums anymore. That's because I'm only watching NHK, and I have to finish the last 2 episodes of that. I've been lacking motivation and time to watch anime lately. I was planning to watch Kanon, among other things, but I can't make myself do it.

Well, let's hope I get cured soon.
Old 2006-12-28, 23:55   Link #310
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Speaking of C.D.C.D., I got a copy of Dengeki G's Magazine, and turning to the C.D. article, I just went..."WTF?!?" because I saw an image of Kotori that my brain cannot accept. Hell, I'm not even sure if that was Kotori at all, it just seemed...wrong.

Relentless, since you've already gone through it, can you confirm this for me?
Spoiler for C.D.C.D.:
Old 2006-12-29, 01:14   Link #311
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
Spoiler for C.D.C.D.:
Well, it is in the game, but... Once I'm done with my summary of the D.C. II story, I'll try to write something up for the D.C. one as well (though I don't know what thread to put it in, technically).
Old 2006-12-29, 01:18   Link #312
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Well, it is in the game, but...
- Just when I thought I was cynical enough already...

Ah well. It's just that I could never picture Kotori...being THAT way.

Last edited by wavehawk; 2006-12-29 at 01:19. Reason: tag fixes
Old 2006-12-29, 01:32   Link #313
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Ah well. It's just that I could never picture Kotori...being THAT way.
Would it help if I said that it was a "big but"? I'm still finishing the D.C. story myself, but I'll definitely post a full explanation once I'm finished it.
Old 2006-12-29, 04:11   Link #314
holyman282

Quote:
I can't really find a character I dislike in DCII, so I doubt I'd have the same problem with it when the anime comes out. Who knows if I'd feel enough motivation to watch it, though...you may've noticed I hardly show up on the fansubs forums anymore. That's because I'm only watching NHK, and I have to finish the last 2 episodes of that. I've been lacking motivation and time to watch anime lately. I was planning to watch Kanon, among other things, but I can't make myself do it.

Well, let's hope I get cured soon.
ahh but finding characters you like and dislike is what makes an anime great, it means that it has touched you so deeply that you feel certain connections with one character and feels great hostility towards another and makes you watch an anime to the end rooting for the person you like. If you really don't dislike any of the characters, then sincerly hope if an anime of DCII comes out the writer will make you hate some and like others or else the anime will be very boring for you
Old 2006-12-29, 13:15   Link #315
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
ahh but finding characters you like and dislike is what makes an anime great, it means that it has touched you so deeply that you feel certain connections with one character and feels great hostility towards another and makes you watch an anime to the end rooting for the person you like. If you really don't dislike any of the characters, then sincerly hope if an anime of DCII comes out the writer will make you hate some and like others or else the anime will be very boring for you
For what it's worth, I couldn't possibly disagree more when it comes to shows in this genre. You're not supposed to hate any of the characters, as they're all presented as equal heroines and characters in the game. If something goes wrong, you feel empathy for all those affected. Not a single game path ends with any amount of ill-will towards any of the characters, and any time there's any sort of fight or disagreement, they take careful steps to resolve it and explain all the reasons why (again, so that no one's the bad guy). So, I'm hoping that his experience when watching the anime will be more like the one in the game, where even though one girl is chosen, none of the others are villified or deserve to be in any way hated because of it. He already said that Nemu was an exception, so I'm hoping it stays that way. (See also the discussion leading up to this, as this discussion is basically what lead to AvatarST's post in the first place.)
Old 2006-12-29, 14:02   Link #316
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Quote:
Speaking of C.D.C.D., I got a copy of Dengeki G's Magazine, and turning to the C.D. article, I just went..."WTF?!?" because I saw an image of Kotori that my brain cannot accept. Hell, I'm not even sure if that was Kotori at all, it just seemed...wrong.

Spoiler for C.D.C.D.:
Looking for this? (actual screenshot from C.D.C.D.)

Spoiler for Seductive Kotori:

As a bonus, here's one of her best friends (i.e. one of the two girls with Kotori whom you meet with in Kotori's path), who got caught up in the "discussion" (also an actual screenshot from C.D.C.D.)

Spoiler for Sexy Tomo-chan:

I also have Mik-kun (the other best friend of Kotori) in a very seductive scene as well, but it's wayyy too NSFW. Unless you wouldn't mind a censored version?
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-29, 16:59   Link #317
◕‿‿◕

Quote:
So, I'm hoping that his experience when watching the anime will be more like the one in the game, where even though one girl is chosen, none of the others are villified or deserve to be in any way hated because of it. He already said that Nemu was an exception, so I'm hoping it stays that way. (See also the discussion leading up to this, as this discussion is basically what lead to AvatarST's post in the first place.)
Yep, even in the game it's different. I didn't particularly like Nemu's character there, but I didn't dislike her at all either. I was neutral. Her path was more entertaining than, say, Misaki or Izumiko's, anyway.

And yes, that doesn't seem like Kotori at all. Maybe it's one of Jyunichi's typical fantasies? What's that big but you're talking about, relentless? Spoil me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Enlil
I also have Mik-kun (the other best friend of Kotori) in a very seductive scene as well, but it's wayyy too NSFW. Unless you wouldn't mind a censored version?
Mikkun acting sexy? Sounds lolitastic. Sure, post a censored version or whatever.
Old 2006-12-29, 18:02   Link #318
Furudanuki

Quote:
And yes, that doesn't seem like Kotori at all. Maybe it's one of Jyunichi's typical fantasies?
Agreed. That picture of Kotori doesn't rate quite as big a WTF??!! as the CG's from the Lamune game of Nanami dressed in the leather neko-dominitrix outfit - which I cannot post here because I do not feel like getting banned today - but it isn't too far out of contention.
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-29, 21:52   Link #319
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

Quote:
Yep, even in the game it's different. I didn't particularly like Nemu's character there, but I didn't dislike her at all either. I was neutral. Her path was more entertaining than, say, Misaki or Izumiko's, anyway.

And yes, that doesn't seem like Kotori at all. Maybe it's one of Jyunichi's typical fantasies? What's that big but you're talking about, relentless? Spoil me!
Spoiler:

Quote:
Mikkun acting sexy? Sounds lolitastic. Sure, post a censored version or whatever.
Okay you asked for it:

Spoiler for loli Mik-Kun censored:
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 01:40   Link #320
MeganeShounen
Huh?

@Sailor Enlil
From the looks of those pictures, C.D.C.D. certainly is a fandisk that doesn't hold back on the fanservice... I guess I won't be surprised with the ero-scenes to be up-to-par with the games themselves.

/me gives Sailor Enlil (delayed) X-mas cookies for the pics

That reminds me, seems like all the stories have no connection with the other storylines in the game right? Well, maybe a little with D.C. and D.C. II...
MeganeShounen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, circus, drama, ero-game, eroge, game, games, romance, school life, seinen, visual novel