AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-02-10, 01:01   Link #241
HasuMasu
*Artist

While my thoughts regarding death itself are rather boring, I've always had a fascination with the personification of death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
Hindi mahalaga sa akin.
weeeeeeeeeeh
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 01:29   Link #242
Qilin
Romanticist

When it all comes down to it, life doesn't really amount to much. You might exist today, but tomorrow you could very well be gone. Once you accept that, it's not really a big deal. The trick is to dissociate yourself from practically everything. As I come to realize how insignificant I am relative to the grand scale of the universe, my own passing seems like such a small thing in comparison. In it's own way, death represents the demise of of a single universe among infinitely many.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy my life. I revel in the depths of my own sensory experiences. I drown myself in emotional euphoria. Above all, I love being able to consciously experience it all. The capacity for self-awareness and self-regulation, more than feelings, emotions, or morals, are the things I value most as a living being. I value them to the point that I perceive the absence of thought to be the same thing as being dead. But at the same time, it is that very consciousness that tells me that I would not value life to this extent without acknowledging its very transience and emptiness. Ironically, it is that apparent pointlessness that makes life even more meaningful to behold. Life is just like a bubble, and once it pops, there will be no time to grieve; one will simply cease to be.

On this topic, I recall a particularly memorable scene from one of my favorite manga:
Spoiler for Wakusei no Samidare:

Last edited by Qilin; 2013-02-10 at 01:56.
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 01:53   Link #243
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

my thoughts on death?.... well im not looking forward to it
Old 2013-02-10, 02:33   Link #244
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Death is a natural thing, just like the rotation of the earth. I've had family pass on in the past and telling myself this always makes any sadness I feel much less painful.

I presently don't want to die at my currently because I would like to leave something behind beforehand, but when my time does come I don't exactly know what my thoughts will be. Fear, regret, contentment, all of those are possibilities. I suppose I won't find out till then.

I think an approximately 80 year life span is actually pretty good, much longer than one may think. It's not possible to do everything, but there is a lot you can experience in that period of time.
Old 2013-02-10, 05:47   Link #245
Robot3

I dont whant die, but deaths is something what all of us wait on the end. And i em in peace with that.
Old 2013-02-10, 06:11   Link #246
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
When it all comes down to it, life doesn't really amount to much. You might exist today, but tomorrow you could very well be gone. Once you accept that, it's not really a big deal. The trick is to dissociate yourself from practically everything. As I come to realize how insignificant I am relative to the grand scale of the universe, my own passing seems like such a small thing in comparison. In it's own way, death represents the demise of of a single universe among infinitely many.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy my life. I revel in the depths of my own sensory experiences. I drown myself in emotional euphoria. Above all, I love being able to consciously experience it all. The capacity for self-awareness and self-regulation, more than feelings, emotions, or morals, are the things I value most as a living being. I value them to the point that I perceive the absence of thought to be the same thing as being dead. But at the same time, it is that very consciousness that tells me that I would not value life to this extent without acknowledging its very transience and emptiness. Ironically, it is that apparent pointlessness that makes life even more meaningful to behold. Life is just like a bubble, and once it pops, there will be no time to grieve; one will simply cease to be.

On this topic, I recall a particularly memorable scene from one of my favorite manga:
Do answer me this though. If you and your life are as insignificant as you make them sound, and if every other life is just as meaningless and pointless, what makes you worthy of living? What will make me not want to kill you or any other living being the same way I'd kill a fly? You have just degraded your life's value slightly above the point of non-existence and in so doing, elevated the opposite natural event, death, to godlike status. And you placed this into my hands. Or do you think any human punishment, even my death, can now dissuade me from killing you or anyone else, when all our lives are just as pointless, whether it spans 10 or 100 years?

The only thing staying the hand holding the power that you have so nicely handed over to me is that I value my life as much as I acknowledge and respect death as the absolute and final equator, a belated justice at the end of one's days. My life has both meaning and purpose beyond existing for existence's sake, and in projecting that same value onto you, I consider you worthy of living or existing, therefore I wouldn't kill you. For now.
Old 2013-02-10, 06:36   Link #247
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I'm a futurist and transhumanist, I think there's a good chance aging will be conquered this century and indefinite lifespans become possible
even if someone conquer aging tomorrow, he/she not gonna let anyone but him/herself have it.

and you don't need to be worthy of living to have desire of life. everyone who not living a hell on earth afraid of death. I think anyone should watch ef - a tale of melodies to see how scary death is to one who still desire life, cause I'm if death come that close to me, I will be scared like that character in the anime.
Old 2013-02-10, 16:45   Link #248
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Ah, death, that moment when I can finally reflect upon my life, and find out who -of all those holy-nonsense soapbox shouting morons- will be right

(10 bucks says they're all wrong!)
Old 2013-02-10, 16:53   Link #249
Masquerading Lunatic
Moe Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
pics or it didn't happen
I'm a camera-shy Nagisa-wearing newbie, so just do your best to imagine it...! Also, it's fine. If it was too morbid, then I have some issues too, because I'm pretty sure I laughed at it. Kind of.
Masquerading Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 18:22   Link #250
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I'll just leave this quote here :

Quote:
If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha.
And my first hand experience with them in training points that it may actually be true.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 18:33   Link #251
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
0-17: don't want to die, want to grow up
18-24: hell no only old ppl die
35-50: shit, I'm getting old...
50-80: well I'm old now, but at least I lived to make it here
80-90: damn everyone in my generation is like dead or senile
90-120: goddamn it just let me die already
What happens from 25 to 34? Dry spell due to too busy trying to find a job and a house?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 18:34   Link #252
LeoXiao
思想工作

i'm afraid of dying, but chiefly in an instinctual "oh shit that looks dangerous id better leave" sort of way. Consciously speaking, I fully expect to be dead eighty years from now, and if it's my fate to die tomorrow and there is no escape, so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
What happens from 25 to 34? Dry spell due to too busy trying to find a job and a house?
*ahem*

Correct, presumably that is the time that one is simply caught in the moment.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 18:53   Link #253
Kudryavka

Quote:
i'm afraid of dying, but chiefly in an instinctual "oh shit that looks dangerous id better leave" sort of way. Consciously speaking, I fully expect to be dead eighty years from now, and if it's my fate to die tomorrow and there is no escape, so be it.

*ahem*

Correct, presumably that is the time that one is simply caught in the moment.
Thank you, I had a feeling.

Anyway, for me, I believe that in death we just, stop working forever... so it's pretty scary to think about. So I just enjoy myself as much as I can, since right now I am in the only heaven I think I'll ever see.
Old 2013-02-10, 19:26   Link #254
LeoXiao
思想工作

Life is all about what you do in it, and your spiritual state in living it, rather than how long you live, though these do not exclude each other. Mozart died when he was 36, Martin Luther King when he was 39, but both men were far greater than some 90-year old geezers could ever hope to be.

Though it is not explicitly about death, I read a book written by a Japanese soldier who was stuck on a Filipino island with his squad and stayed there for 30 years after the end of the war, refusing to believe that Japan had surrendered. Even after his comrades had all been killed he still stayed there evading the local police and army. Was his time wasted? Arguably. Was he disappointed? I cannot imagine that he was not. Did he waste his life? I do not think so. He chose to stay on the island and follow his orders and principles to 100% of his ability. There is something about that that gains my admiration. It's not about what he did, but why he did it.

EDIT: Here's a (somewhat inaccurate) article that tells his story.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 19:54   Link #255
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Life sucks, but death seems even worse. I'll stick to the former.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 21:05   Link #256
Qilin
Romanticist

I'm a bit curious, so let me ask a question for the people here:

Is it death itself that you're afraid of? Or is it simply the experience of dying that you fear?
Old 2013-02-10, 22:57   Link #257
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Death is the off switch of a life that sucks becoming worm food and mo more of the daily grind
Old 2013-02-10, 23:13   Link #258
Kudryavka

Quote:

Is it death itself that you're afraid of? Or is it simply the experience of dying that you fear?
Death itself. The thought that once I die, everything as I know it will end. As far as I am concerned of course, not saying the world will be an apocalypse when I leave.
Old 2013-02-11, 12:53   Link #259
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Life is all about what you do in it, and your spiritual state in living it, rather than how long you live, though these do not exclude each other. Mozart died when he was 36, Martin Luther King when he was 39, but both men were far greater than some 90-year old geezers could ever hope to be.

...and that's why I like the fact death doesn't discriminate

No matter if you're a poor schmuck that never had any luck in life, or you're some celeb, put on a pedestal by the idiots around you
A hard worker leading a comfortable life, or a rich bugger that conned everyone to get where and what he wanted

All WILL be dead!

On a side note, wanting to be immortal is only desired by 2 kind of people:
-The young
-The Rich/powerful

The latter will be the only ones to be granted that 'privilege' though
Old 2013-02-16, 05:36   Link #260
Appel

Quote:

I really don't fear death itself. I pretty much embrace it as something natural, as part of life itself.
But looking at all those really horrible ways how you can die? Fatal diseases, accidends, being murdered? Yeah, that is some terrifying stuff right there :O
Appel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, existentialism