Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-08-14, 08:41   Link #201
anigu
Game maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Anyway, I really hope this is a standard TV series and not some OVAs. I want at least the standard 12-13 episodes.

Ahhh, I am seriously starved for some SHAFT after two seasons. I hope Honeycomb manages to blow me away.

Urobuchi is not involved, then I will count on the potential comedy Shaft is going to deliver with this.

EDIT: Somehow I wasn't able to watch that PV from their official site. Does it take over 15 minutes to load the video or something?
anigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 09:26   Link #202
maximilianjenus
[E]

I think it does not stream, the youtube version ahs got a 720 version anyway.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 11:08   Link #203
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
If the music in the trailer is the kind of music and character voices we can expect in the show then I can pretty safely pass on this one. Also that felt more like an actual music video than a trailer to me somehow.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 11:19   Link #204
sirn
田舎者言うな

Official YouTube upload (Announcement in Twitter)

...way too late. But the quality seems slightly better than the F4V one at some place.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 06:25   Link #205
anigu
Game maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
If the music in the trailer is the kind of music and character voices we can expect in the show then I can pretty safely pass on this one. Also that felt more like an actual music video than a trailer to me somehow.
Maybe because they will use them as the OP to save cost? Not really a problem for me anyway.
anigu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 03:20   Link #206
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Might as well post this, seeing that nobody else did eventhough this image has been out for several hours.

hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 03:22   Link #207
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Might as well post this, seeing that nobody else did eventhough this image has been out for several hours.

Is my eyes deceiving me, that's Kantoku's work isn't it?
Old 2012-09-11, 05:46   Link #208
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

That's what we were talking about on several pages in this thread already.
Old 2012-09-11, 06:40   Link #209
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well this an interesting article.

Old 2012-09-11, 07:08   Link #210
desrtsku
Nympholept

^ Wh-what?!
Old 2012-09-11, 07:11   Link #211
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post

WHAT!? but it screams Mahou Shoujo All over it!
Old 2012-09-11, 07:30   Link #212
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I didn't even realize this isn't a mahou shoujo series. Maybe I can expect it as a slice of life show dealing with magic, like Someday's Dreamers.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 07:37   Link #213
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Lol, next thing they'll tell us is that this isn't a yuri bait series
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 08:21   Link #214
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post

Interesting. Reading that article, I'm reminded with a topic on this very forums where some users discussed more than a year ago what exactly defined a series as being a Magical Girl series. There were a lot of suggestions (and three suggested core points by the end that I thought covered the topic nicely) but I suppose that now that we have this show that question can have a clearer answer on exactly what is needed for a series to be a magical girl show or for it to be something else.

If I had to guess, this show would either lack certain Magical Girl qualities (Magic isn't special, there not really on a mission to beat monsters, boys might be also magical, they are actually fighting other humans with magic powers etc.) or is structurally more similar to another genre than the MC one. Hmm ...

Needless to say, I think SHAFT had managed to really surprise me this time. They had made this so unmistakably Magical Girl like that I never stopped to think why it never had the title in it's name Kudos Shaft, kudos ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lol, next thing they'll tell us is that this isn't a yuri bait series
Not unless there are boys in it ...
Old 2012-09-11, 08:25   Link #215
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post

Not unless there are boys in it ...
Hey you never know, Tari Tari's promo material had almost zero indication of any male cast
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 08:28   Link #216
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

At first
Old 2012-09-11, 08:36   Link #217
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Maybe I'm being cynical here, but I honestly think the main reason why SHAFT is saying "It's not a magical girl show!" is to try to ensure Prism Nana doesn't get caught in Madoka Magica's shadow.

Now, it may well be more K-On! or iDOLM@STER than Nanoha or Madoka, but there's a definite aspect of trying to manage fan expectations here.
Old 2012-09-11, 08:48   Link #218
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I don't know, no matter what they do, any series they produce at this point will sort of be caught up in Madoka's shadow. It's inevitable with the level of praise and commercial success that Madoka had gained that any future work, be it a magical girl or otherwise, will be compared to it.

So in a sense, there is no reason for them to clarify it as a way for them to try and manage the fan expectations. Especially when the show gives off such a strong Magical Girl vibe from the designs and otherwise (I mean if they didn't want it to get caught up in Madoka's shadow, wouldn't have been wiser to not make it look like it's spiritual successor in the first place ?)

I may be a little too optimistic here, but I think that what Shaft is trying to do here is seriously trying to make a series that looks very much like a Magical Girl series, but by definition it can not be considered one. In a way, they might be trying to draw some lines or re-instate classic standards.

If I had to guess, maybe they are trying to create something closer to a pure Action series here, or an Idol series, or even a Slice-of-Life show, though that doesn't seem to be the case from the PV or the early images. In any case I'm interested in seeing what are they going for here.
Old 2012-09-11, 08:56   Link #219
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I don't know, no matter what they do, any series they produce at this point will sort of be caught up in Madoka's shadow.
I disagree, for the simple reason that Madoka isn't SHAFT's only big property (is somebody forgetting a certain Monogatari series? ).

If Prism Nana looked more like Bakemonogatari than PMMM then it would be getting compared to Bake not PMMM.

Quote:

So in a sense, there is no reason for them to clarify it as a way for them to try and manage the fan expectations. Especially when the show gives off such a strong Magical Girl vibe from the designs and otherwise (I mean if they didn't want it to get caught up in Madoka's shadow, wouldn't have been wiser to not make it look like a MG show in the first place ?
I think that SHAFT is trying to have their cake and eat it too. They're trying to get the initial hype that comes from something looking like the next magical girl show from SHAFT, but then they want to escape the high expectations that tends to come with hype by later saying "Oh you thought it was a magical girl show? Ha ha ha ha ha! No, it's really just a general bishoujo show."

It's pretty crafty, really. Doesn't mean I have to completely buy into it, though.

Quote:
I may be a little too optimistic here, but I think that what Shaft is trying to do here is seriously trying to make a series that looks very much like a Magical Girl series, but by definition it can not be considered one. In a way, they might be trying to draw some lines or re-instate classic standards.

If I had to guess, maybe they are trying to create something closer to a pure Action series here, or even a Slice-of-Life show, though that doesn't seem to be the case from the PV or the early images. In any case I'm interested in seeing what are they going for here.
Nanoha was awfully close to pure action, imo. Prism Nana being pure action wouldn't make it less of a magical girl show.

And I'm honestly not sure if I'd want a magical girl slice of life show, or a magical girl "pop idol" show (this is still what I think it'll be - AKB0048 just with magical girls instead of mechs).

Anyway, if a show has girls powered by magic, and looking like magical girls, and acting like magical girls, then it's a magical girl show as far as I'm concerned. SHAFT can call it whatever it wants at that point.
Old 2012-09-11, 08:57   Link #220
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Maybe I'm being cynical here, but I honestly think the main reason why SHAFT is saying "It's not a magical girl show!" is to try to ensure Prism Nana doesn't get caught in Madoka Magica's shadow.

Now, it may well be more K-On! or iDOLM@STER than Nanoha or Madoka, but there's a definite aspect of trying to manage fan expectations here.
Well I think it might be more like Senki Zesshou Symphogear except more magic than artifacts, where music is a key part of their power since all 3 girls seemed to have instruments in the PV, especially with "Suite" in the title though remaining to be seen if the girls will double as Idols .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote