Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-20, 04:35   Link #1241
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
She was able to write a story but then again it depends if the outcome was what she has planned. Unless she had one I would have expected for her to change what she hoped that she would write since she started, which reflected her own thoughts at the time of writing it. Perhaps because she decided to end this, she sought to give it a sad end (whereas on days before such a thing might not have even crossed her mind).
I just realized that Chihiro lied! She told Renji that this is a story that the wrote together so it isn't finished until unless he agrees with the ending. The story is of course a metaphor for their relationship, but when he went to the roof to disagree with the ending, she refuses his criticism and sticks by the ending that she wrote.

Maybe lied is too strong a word. She said that before her date. After having such an incredible day, it might have hardened her to doing what she believed must be done to save the person she loves. Her feelings might simply have changed so that the words she spoke the previous day were no longer in her heart.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 04:36   Link #1242
changeup

So far it has been an amazing show.

However, I hope in the last episode they can also wrap up Kyosuke's story. After all, his story has been set up to some extent, about his pursuit of something special. Maybe he will be matched up with Kei...
changeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 05:06   Link #1243
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeup View Post
So far it has been an amazing show.

However, I hope in the last episode they can also wrap up Kyosuke's story. After all, his story has been set up to some extent, about his pursuit of something special. Maybe he will be matched up with Kei...
Kyousuke was there just to help move the story, I don't think there will be any conclusion to him and Kei and I want it that way.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 05:44   Link #1244
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

If we're lucky, we'll see Kyosuke and others' plot better in another ef show. The story hardly ended at all in that angle as I see it.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 06:43   Link #1245
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
If we're lucky, we'll see Kyosuke and others' plot better in another ef show. The story hardly ended at all in that angle as I see it.
yeah, it should be better if they handle Kei and Kyousuke in another season, according to the kei chapter from the VN, she does end with him. just putting it as a side note will be kind of unfair, it is better to leave it open ended and revisit later on.
Old 2007-12-20, 07:03   Link #1246
tabun
rawr!

I am glad the show stands true to the absurd nature of chihiro's condition and doesn't just come up with some fairy tale ending (although that is what I'd normally want - and badly at that).
However, with the title of the next (and as I presume last?) episode, I ask myself if and how there will be a conclusion to one or both story arc(s), and maybe if they can intertwine at the end?

Also, as was to be expected, great visuals and music again! If there was to be a second season with an even marginally interesting storyline, I'd watch it for the former aspects alone!
Old 2007-12-20, 09:46   Link #1247
Liingo
Love Hina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I wouldn't bet on it. He hasn't had enough character development to play a role in a key relationship and she still needs time to get over her feelings for Hirono. I think the last two episodes will be all Renji and Chihiro.
Yeah, I'm not too optimistic about it either. Here's hoping for a second season so we can get a resolution to this. As well as the telling us who the the random nun is who's been giving advice to everyone..
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
This is a great show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
This is an amazing show.
Sorry Relentless, I'll have to agree with NoSanninWa here. XD

On to episode 11.

I've read through the comments. Good points that have been raised. Although was I the only one who was a bit put off by the speed of kiss -> sex? Yes I know it is an eroge so such scenes should be expected, but the timing of it just seemed odd to me..

The episode itself meandered for it's first half, gaining momentum in the second once they arrive at school. I have to admit that I was worried as Renji read through the story. Like some of you I thought that she was about to throw herself off the building.

Although of course what happened next was equal to the horror that was evoked by the previous thoughts. Let's just hope that Renji recovers in time to get his feelings through. The scenes were done really well, with the pages of her diary flying away. Excellent musix as always by Tenmon.

What would be awkward though is if it does go pearshaped, with Chihiro and Renji going their separate ways, with all her memories disappearing. Then suddenly she realises that she's pregnant...

Err, yeah I think I'll stop now... Blame my crack addled brain..

*runs*
Liingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 11:55   Link #1248
Eviltape

Oh lordy lord. This is one hell of an 11th episode; I'm still stunned at the course of events. I really don't see how the vis. novel would've done the scene, nay, entire episode though, it's too epic for a slideshow-y thing, unless the artists did a FMV. The studio was wise in their decision for being so vague about the 12th episode, as the followers would go mad with any more teasing.

Looking forward to the last and final ef - a tale of memories episode. Then I wait for wallpapers.

EDIT: My bad, everything looks like it'd come from Eroge nowadays. >_>

Last edited by Eviltape; 2007-12-20 at 21:49.
Eviltape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 12:00   Link #1249
Midonin
Last Engage

I've been catching up with this series like mad the past few days (up to Ep. 9 now, plan to reach 11 before the day's complete), and if there was a word to describe it, it would be WOW. Shaft's animation style has always had some sort of appeal to me (I can't put my finger on why, but whether it's ef, SZS or Hidamari Sketch, I've grown to like it), and the storytelling is phenomenal.

All the storylines are quite intriguing, but Chihiro's story that she's writing is one moment when I always pay attention. It feels so deep and moving and why am I still typing here? I have to see what happens next.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 12:00   Link #1250
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltape View Post
Oh lordy lord. This is one hell of an 11th episode; I'm still stunned at the course of events. I really don't see how the eroge would've done the scene, nay, entire episode though, it's too epic for a slideshow-y thing, unless the artists did a FMV. The studio was wise in their decision for being so vague about the 12th episode, as the followers would go mad with any more teasing.

Looking forward to the last and final ef - a tale of memories episode. Then I wait for wallpapers.
E-F is not an Eroge, it is a Visual Novel. i wish it have been an eroge because then the ending would not have been so predictable.
Old 2007-12-20, 12:02   Link #1251
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltape View Post
Oh lordy lord. This is one hell of an 11th episode; I'm still stunned at the course of events. I really don't see how the eroge would've done the scene, nay, entire episode though, it's too epic for a slideshow-y thing, unless the artists did a FMV. The studio was wise in their decision for being so vague about the 12th episode, as the followers would go mad with any more teasing.
Trust me, an eroge/VN can be extremely powerful, especially that "slideshow" isn't exactly what it is, especially in ef case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
E-F is not an Eroge, it is a Visual Novel. i wish it have been an eroge because then the ending would not have been so predictable.
Ef is actually an eroge...

eroge can be used for any "game" containing explicit content. Visual Novel is a type of game as well. Both terms are categories of game, that's all. For instance, Tsukihime is an eroge/visual novel. Both terms are applied to it, same goes for ef.

Being an eroge or not won't prevent it to be predictable or not. Everything depends of the script, the fact there is explicit content or not is completely irrelevant.
Old 2007-12-20, 12:11   Link #1252
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Trust me, an eroge/VN can be extremely powerful, especially that "slideshow" isn't exactly what it is, especially in ef case.

Ef is actually an eroge...

eroge can be used for any "game" containing explicit content. Visual Novel is a type of game as well. Both terms are categories of game, that's all. For instance, Tsukihime is an eroge/visual novel. Both terms are applied to it, same goes for ef.

Being an eroge or not won't prevent it to be predictable or not. Everything depends of the script, the fact there is explicit content or not is completely irrelevant.
yeah, you are right about eroge, it is more broad than VN, I kind of cofused the terms between Eroge and Renai. I meant to say I wish it had been a Renai eroge.
Old 2007-12-20, 12:19   Link #1253
Anime Hate Machine

If the final episode is as good as 7 or 8 were, ef will have earned a place in the best of the year list. And that says a lot -- this has been a very strong year.
Anime Hate Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 13:21   Link #1254
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
yeah, you are right about eroge, it is more broad than VN, I kind of cofused the terms between Eroge and Renai. I meant to say I wish it had been a Renai eroge.
This is why terms are confusing. "Ren'ai" is just "romantic", so this is based on a ren'ai eroge. I assume what you're trying to say is that you wished it were based on a game with more different possible ending for each character?

And incidentally, I agree with most about Kei/Kyosuke -- I think they're just going to leave things open and forward-looking on that front (drop a few hints that something's going to develop), but leave the story to be told elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Personally I doubt that he only has 13 hours to talk to her. It would only be 13 hours if she didn't think about him during that time. It would be really hard to imagine that she could possibly manage to avoid thinking of him for 13 hours, but I'd allow this show that pretention if they want me to believe that. However, I must not disregard the possibility that she intends to sleep for 13 hours straight and go for a total reset.
This is true, actually. I guess I was being more metaphorical with the comparison, but it is true that her entire concept of forgetting about him depends on her being able to put it out of her mind completely for 13 hours straight. I'm not sure what her intentions are about that... we'll see.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 13:30   Link #1255
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post
...Although was I the only one who was a bit put off by the speed of kiss -> sex? Yes I know it is an eroge so such scenes should be expected, but the timing of it just seemed odd to me.... Like some of you I thought that she was about to throw herself off the building....
I think I mentioned the same thing about the speed from kiss to more. But I also appreciated the fact that they are not hiding the original ero-game nature of the show. I would have preferred a longer build-up and actually more emphasis on it, but I'm sure there are some complex calculations as to how to put it in while keeping it acceptable to a wider audience. And the speed makes some sense for someone who has to live a whole lifetime in every day, and who was within a couple of hours of "death."

Having now watched the sub, a lot of things came through with even more force. Particularly Chihiro. How does her statement that tomorrow might be better than today square with her eventual actions? Does she mean for Renji? Does she mean for the "god of this world," who can reset and start again? Does it mean that Renji's reactions determined her decision? "Rewatch value."

And I also noticed how they were setting things up for us to unconsciously feel the danger that she might throw herself off the building. Renji saw it happen in her novel and rushed upstairs in case she really planned to kill herself. She ran toward the parapet and when he said to be careful she said it was okay. She was at the leading edge of the screen and looking backwards, so that she couldn't see where the edge was. Etc.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 13:37   Link #1256
zoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
What would be an alternative to a love triangle for sowing uncertainty in a relationship? Harem?
One of them could have a memory disorder ...
zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 13:43   Link #1257
Midonin
Last Engage

Watched Ep. 10 and 11 in one go, and this show continues to leave me watching with my mouth wide open at least once an episode. Miyako's phone call was so intensely moving, just as her scene in ep. 7 was. And seeing the conclusion to Chihiro's story - genuine fright moved through me then. The final shots, seeing those pages scattered to the wind...it was beautiful, yet extremely sad. I don't know if I should feel worse for Chihiro or Renji. So much lost to the winds.

I have no idea what the finale will bring, but I'm ready for anything.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 15:46   Link #1258
X207
Gamyūsa

i wouldnt be too surprised if chihiro remembers renji for a while. but then this anime takes on so many twists that maybe she wont remember.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 17:03   Link #1259
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
i wouldnt be too surprised if chihiro remembers renji for a while. but then this anime takes on so many twists that maybe she wont remember.
Well there have been cases where a suffer of anterograde amnesia has what is called an "island of memory." What this means is that the patient, for no known reason, finds that a memory does not vanish. This happens extremely rarely, but it is not impossible that Chihiro would permanently remember something that happened with Renji even while she continues to forget everything else. For example, Chihiro might forget meeting Renji and writing the book with him, but still remember everything from sleeping with him to throwing away the pages.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 17:27   Link #1260
obentou
Maximum7/Ossu

I'd rather have Chihiro forget everything. Remembering anything related to Renji will obviously put her in confusion and at a loss, since her complete life story with him is essentially gone. "A tale of memories" really suits their relationship.
obentou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, romance, seinen, shaft