AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-01-28, 10:21   Link #21
Icehawk

Mom has watched a number of anime movies, mostly the Miyazaki ones and really liked them. Hasnt watched any full TV series but she watched the first bunch of episodes of Read or Die The TV and seemed to like it. However, even though she likes what she has seen shes not the type to get into watching it regularily. She doesnt watch much TV as it is and when she does its mostly crime dramas and such.

I've shown my dad some anime movies and stuff and he also liked what he saw but again, its not something he would ever pick up as a regular thing either, too busy with other aspects and interests in his life and such.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 10:27   Link #22
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
And my mom probably saw a few of the Pokemon episodes I was watching on TV
Why in the world did I like that show?
Don't feel bad, Chrissie, I enjoyed watching Pokemon with my daughter when she was in elementary school.

Spoiler for OT Pokemon reminiscence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehawk View Post
and when she does its mostly crime dramas and such.
Try Monster.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 12:46   Link #23
X10A_Freedom

We used to watch as a family when I was around 5-ish which is close to 20 years ago. My parents have also watched the classic Miyazaki films but not the recent ones.

Today, they don't watch any anime at all although last summer when I was with my dad in Japan, we caught "Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo" airing on TV so watched for the hell of it. We both liked it.
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 13:22   Link #24
Kyomi
What do I know?

Most stuff I watch would probably scare then crap out the parents. (Not just in a violent gory way but in a Moe-harem way too.) I can safely say that I'm the only one to watch anime in my family or circle of friends.
It does get lonely to be the only fan around but hey, theres AnimeSuki around for that so..
Old 2008-01-28, 14:21   Link #25
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I will just reiterate the point I've made in other discussions like this one. I often hear complaints about how parents don't like the shows you offer to share with them. Perhaps that's because your tastes in anime and your parents' taste in entertainment just don't align very well. I never read how someone tried shows like Bartender, Hataraki Man, or Mononoke, all of which were made for mature audiences. I'd also recommend shows with a broad appeal like Seirei no Moribito or Nodame Cantabile. Perhaps you don't recommend shows like this because you don't know they exist. Browse my signature for examples of shows that appealed to this 58-year-old parent.

I agree with what the man says. There are plenty of shows that you could possibly get parents, aunts and uncles into, but they normally get ignored by the fandom. Theres nothing better (for me) then showing the unitiated "Wow, these moving drawing dealies aren't just an electronic babysitter! They're actually interesting!"
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 16:31   Link #26
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Well my Dad likes Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 18:34   Link #27
~ Lawliet ~

Neither of them, and I cannot imagine them ever doing so.
~ Lawliet ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 18:59   Link #28
UzumakiW
J-rocker

Send a message via AIM to UzumakiW Send a message via Yahoo to UzumakiW
My dad like animes that come on tv with the dubs, like Bleach, Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho (used to be on tv), Samurai Champloo, etc...
UzumakiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 19:06   Link #29
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Technically.... I *am* a parent who watches with my wife, sons, and their girlfriends and random other people. There are a few parents in my adult education japanese classes who also watch anime.

I say "good for your mom!" ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Like Vexx, I'm a parent who watches anime with his daughter, but I actually watch a lot more than she does. (Lately we've been watching Shion no Ou together.)

I will just reiterate the point I've made in other discussions like this one. I often hear complaints about how parents don't like the shows you offer to share with them. Perhaps that's because your tastes in anime and your parents' taste in entertainment just don't align very well. I never read how someone tried shows like Bartender, Hataraki Man, or Mononoke, all of which were made for mature audiences. I'd also recommend shows with a broad appeal like Seirei no Moribito or Nodame Cantabile. Perhaps you don't recommend shows like this because you don't know they exist. Browse my signature for examples of shows that appealed to this 58-year-old parent.
I wish that my parents would watch anime like you guys , I think it would be quite fun to watch anime with your parents. My parents I believe that they watched anime when they were young, but probably grew out of it.
Old 2008-01-28, 19:20   Link #30
Lintendo

The closing thing I have to that is whenever my dad walks by and pauses at the ecchi scenes and saying that the Japanese draw nice.

Other than that: 0 tolerance
Lintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 19:52   Link #31
FinnMacCool

I got my Dad to watch Cowboy Bebop with me but thats pretty much it. I definitely got him interested though
FinnMacCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 21:55   Link #32
PastPrime

I'm one of the parents and I started watching Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star and then Inuyasha on Adult Swim, then my son got me started on Scrapped Princess and Last Exile and Bit Torrent. Now I watch quite a few anime shows. While I watch a lot of the same shows as him, our tastes are somewhat different. Actually, I guess that I got started when I had to make sure and record Sailor Moon for my daughter, but she doesn't watch much anime now.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 22:15   Link #33
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

No no no and no my parents hate the fact that i watch anime
Old 2008-01-28, 22:21   Link #34
geckleon91
Shunpo!Shunko!

yea i wish that my parents could understand the diff. between anime and nickelodeon cartoons. I mean don't get me wrong i still watch spongebob everyonce and a while but there is such a gap between the content of anime and cartoons that anime can't even be compared to it. Anime is just superior in my eyes. Whenever my parents walk in to my room to tell me it is time for dinner they always say and i quote, "get off those stupid cartoons and come have dinner." then i always take my time getting to the dinner table because i just dont like how they talk about my hobbies. I guess that i wouldn't mind trying to introduce them to it but i dont think that they are willing to try
geckleon91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 22:27   Link #35
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
My mom did ask why i like anime so much, but out of curiosity, because she likes some anime too, but not on the same scale at all.
I just told her because the stories really interest me, and some of them make me laugh. And american shows suck ass 90% of the time (and 10% of the time, it's something on discovery or tlc, both of which, i don't have)

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 23:46   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Another argument might be "what, you'd rather I get my cultural value clues from Best American Hairdresser Apprentice Idol or Survivor of the Lost Backstabbing STD Fiends?" or perhaps Dr. Oprah Springer's Freak of the Week? or "Law&Order/CSI-How to kill your victims in the slowest most horrific ways to maximize their pain and anguish?"

Then tune into a PBS symphonic special or a home remodeling project show....
Old 2008-01-28, 23:53   Link #37
geckleon91
Shunpo!Shunko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Another argument might be "what, you'd rather I get my cultural value clues from Best American Hairdresser Apprentice Idol or Survivor of the Lost Backstabbing STD Fiends?" or perhaps Dr. Oprah Springer's Freak of the Week? or "Law&Order/CSI-How to kill your victims in the slowest most horrific ways to maximize their pain and anguish?"

Then tune into a PBS symphonic special or a home remodeling project show....
good point
geckleon91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 23:54   Link #38
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
while not regularly, my stepdad whos really into gaming and stuff will watch anime with me (only action)

funniet thing ever was us watching JinROh and he was like those are the weapons i was shooting ppl last night with online

best...moment...ever
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 23:58   Link #39
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

My dad's a closet yaoi fan and also a loli-con
My mom only really liked Elfen Lied and Higurashi

My Grand-parents liked the classics
Old 2008-01-30, 03:34   Link #40
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
both of mine arent into it..
but if i watch it downstairs then they dont mind watching allong
my mom doesnt like the echi and over gore/blood anime like Elfen lied
my dad is pretty neutral about it but doesnt have anything specific he likes because eh wals away after a period of time and then misses important plot lines >.< most of the time he tries to immitate the language and laugh at it...
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote