AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-11-16, 21:35   Link #2261
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Considering what's happened in the anime, I don't see how any of that fits their relationship at all.
In light of episode 5, I'd say that "longs to be like" fits - he does envy the respect that Gai has from everyone, despite thinking that the latter doesn't deserve it.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 22:13   Link #2262
EroKing

I think I know where this idea of Shu pulling out the void out of himself started from. Just because Lelouch was able to use his "Power of the King" on himself I doubt we would see that same with Shu
Old 2011-11-16, 23:15   Link #2263
higoku1

I just made an interesting observation while re-watching the episode 1: I'm sure most of you guys agree that genetics, especially DNA is one of the common themes or symbols of GC. While I was watching the part where Inori offered her cats cradle to Shu, I couldn't help but notice that the cradle looked extremely similar to a DNA strand.

So in this case when the mystery girl from Shu's memory is giving him the cradle and told him to take it this time for sure, I think she really meant the Power of Kings.

Opinions?
higoku1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 23:25   Link #2264
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I am not calling for a subforum, since I don't really like them, or complaining in any way. But as a matter of interest, I note that this show now has around a hundred more posts than Horizon. My rough addition gives Horizon about 2160 posts in all its threads, while GC has 2266. Even if a lot of posts here are negative, people sure seem to be interested in this show.

I can't find a real Japanese name Tsutsugami 恙神. But the kanji used for "tsutsu" in the credits means "illness" and the one for "kami" means "god." The sick god?

As for Ouma 桜満, that doesn't appear to be a real surname either, but the kanji used mean "cherry-tree" and "full." That feels to me like "cherry-tree in bloom." Whatever that might mean in context.

Episode 7 will be starting in Japan in approximately 12 hours.

@Flawnalyst, Random32 -- I think Shinkai is a genius, but plot may not be his strength. 5cm/sec was like a series of visual/aural haiku, conveying a deep understanding of the reality of the world, and its pathos. The overall plot intensified that, but was not the main driver of the film. I think of it as a Buddhist film, communicating the unsatisfactoriness and suffering of this beautiful world.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 23:31   Link #2265
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Edit:

Chaos2Frozen beat me to it.
You know me- I just love to correct people.

Makes me feel like a big man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
In light of episode 5, I'd say that "longs to be like" fits - he does envy the respect that Gai has from everyone, despite thinking that the latter doesn't deserve it.
I would go so far and say "thinks he's a dick".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
I think I know where this idea of Shu pulling out the void out of himself started from. Just because Lelouch was able to use his "Power of the King" on himself I doubt we would see that same with Shu
Lelouch doesn't go unconscious when he used that power on himself
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 00:09   Link #2266
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I am not calling for a subforum, since I don't really like them, or complaining in any way. But as a matter of interest, I note that this show now has around a hundred more posts than Horizon. My rough addition gives Horizon about 2160 posts in all its threads, while GC has 2266. Even if a lot of posts here are negative, people sure seem to be interested in this show.

@Flawnalyst, Random32 -- I think Shinkai is a genius, but plot may not be his strength. 5cm/sec was like a series of visual/aural haiku, conveying a deep understanding of the reality of the world, and its pathos. The overall plot intensified that, but was not the main driver of the film. I think of it as a Buddhist film, communicating the unsatisfactoriness and suffering of this beautiful world.
Well, I won't lie that we're interested in the show. Something about it keeps drawing us in to watch the show and "complain" about it a lot on these forums.

Anyways, I respect Shinkai for everything he goes through to make his movies and I do sort of get that 5 cm/sec resembles short stories from old times (like the Monkey's Paw, only without being caught in the machinery). And those aren't bad, as I like Mushishi. The problem is though, Mushishi had lively characters, while 5cm/sec...for two people in love, they sure don't show much excitement. And despite his intentions, I'm sure Shinkai wanted us to care about the characters. I didn't, so there's not much to be said about that.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 00:57   Link #2267
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

watched episode 5 just now... kinda felt sorry for Shu, not that I really care though. I guess he's the type of person that would be used and not a user-type (contradicts his power though since he uses other peoples void)
Old 2011-11-17, 02:17   Link #2268
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

ANN reviews the first 5 episodes of Guilty Crown and gave it a B
Old 2011-11-17, 02:30   Link #2269
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
That's a pretty fair rating. Although I'll probably bump it up to B+ myself due to visuals and audio. At least ANN didn't completely lose the ball this time like they with Fate/Zero (C for Fate/Zero... wtf)
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 02:36   Link #2270
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Carl Kimlinger
Fail, he's the guy that wrote that shitty Nanoha review.

Well, actually it was fair for the most part; though a bit overbearingly harsh as per his review style. It's annoying to have a valid point and keep hammering in and expecting me to care for the 50th time. Weird that I'd give this a C+ thus far and I feel he's being harsh. I feel the tone is rather negative for such a good grade.

Much better than ANN's f/zero review for sure.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 05:02   Link #2271
JediNight
キズランダム

I put little value in reviews that try to grade things on a scale. As it's all just an opinion piece, and people will either agree or disagree with the letter grades.

I can't argue that there are issues with the plot and the portrayal of the MC so far (although I'm not nearly as down on him as some in this thread), but giving the series a C+ for Music? Really? I can't wait for the OST to come out IMHO.

EDIT: He invoked the "Evangelion Rei-clone" statement. He automatically loses the argument. It's like invoking Godwin's Law with Hitler/Nazis.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 05:27   Link #2272
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Nothing wrong with scale grading. The entire review is subject to disagreement and it's nice to see where it stands in their opinion towards other works.

Although it's not fun to be black and white, the lazy are often going to ask one question: Was it a positive experience, and to what extent. Sure the reasoning behind it is gonna be more important, but snapshot impressions help a lot. And everyone understands the concept of what grades mean, as opposed to something even more abstract like "I enjoyed it"

As for the music. It is definitely good in parts, but I feel it's pretty hit and miss. It's amazing in some parts and negligible in others. However, the composer also did the work for Gundam Unicorn, and that in particular puts Guilty Crown to shame. Still, C+ might be a bit too harsh, but not outrageous.

My main problem is that the review consistently uses the gripes about cliche to the point where... it becomes cliche. This never ending spinning of circular reasoning doesn't really get into the core of why the show is issues. Is it because concepts have been done before? No. Really, does this anime really feel like a rehash of anything? Despite all these Code Geass comparisons being thrown around, I hardly would have trouble separating the two. It's a good thing I didn't care for Geass, so I wouldn't have to deal with the endless and eventually mindless comparisons. Nearly everything is derivative, after all.

And with that in mind, I feel the criticism is repetitious, almost like he had to pad out the review because he had nothing to say.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-17, 05:31   Link #2273
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soji View Post
felix@I think you're a little too harsh against Shu.
From what we know about about Shu personality it seems to me that the anime is showing perfectly his reactions.
I am sure that anyone in his place with the same personality has his would react in his same way.
I quite frankly have very little interest in realism in an animated series. I also find modern day obsession over realism overrated. It's like the only thing people know how to argue with.

That said I don't find him realistic. He's way too calm for the situation (most of the time he doesn't really think about it), he's also overreacts to various random things as opposed to thinking of his current situation. A good example would be how he got duped by GHQ guy. That was all very conveniently singleminded of him. The fact he has friends, which aparently he does talk to and care about him, makes his personality even more wierd. He's not normal at all, you don't need to teach a normal person to think properly which is where the series is going with Shu... (at the moment anyway)

Quote:
And frankly I find Shu very realistic seeing the personality he has.
Well, I don't, not that it makes a difference really.

He's really annoying (to me). But I said that already.

Quote:
And if you think about it , the same Shu said its own flaws .
The thing that worries me is if he ever will trust someone else after what happen in episode 5 with Inori she just make Shu trusting issue even bigger.
will be very interesting to see how Shu will overcome these trusting issue (and who will help him to do so) and as he will develop as a person.
Him saying "this and that are my flaws" doesn't really excuse anything in my eyes. He said it in very broad all-catching wording too, so I don't really put much emphasis on it. It's like with Inori. Oh we're suppose to feel for Inori x Shu but she's done so little to nothing I can't really see why I should care for Inori and Shu's relationship.

One word won't excuse a chracter. Why do you suggest that somehow if a character declares himself annoying then I'm suppose to like him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
I'm getting tired of people hating the show, throwing crap and trying to pass it as valid complains while saying "hahaha, this show stinks."
Then don't read them.

Quote:
"Because by being so down he's pulling the entire series down?"

Its like saying "I won't feel suicidal if you ruin my life and tricked me by using women".
No it's like saying "sticking magical wood elves in a sci-fi universe would be bad". I having a hard time understanding what you mean with that analogy there.

Quote:
Shuu had it rough. He likes Inori genuinely. He doesn't like fighting. He's definitely NOT a shounen hero: He's just some dude who accidentally got power.
I don't care to be honest. Shu has a deeper relationship with Ayase at this point then he did with Inori over 4 episodes, as far as I'm concerned. That speaks loads of how weak his relationship with Inori is at the moment. And they barely talk so I find it hard to imagine their relationship being anything but physical; ie. if Inori wasn't his type, or wearing that redicoulas outfit, Shu wouldn't give a damn.

Quote:
Like I was saying in Randomc, he has no obligation whatsoever to join Gai and the FP, unless it concerns Inori.

"...there's a difference between "weak" and "completely against what the series wants him to be."

And he's the "completely against what the series wants him to be?" Nope. Its actually part of the plot that he's completely against being your "typical shounen hero". The series wants him to be that way. See Shuu had a life before Gai and Inori turned up. Without them, Shuu would still friends with Sugar, would not be a convict, and would still be a normal guy.
He's not orignal or anything, he basically just tackes the usual weaknesses/negative traits of the typical shounen hero and blows them out of proportion, then does the typical bleach "I have the power, therefore now I am in cool-guy mode". I'm suppose to like him because of the contrast, but I find it quite annoying to have characters switch personalities when it's plot-convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
That's a pretty fair rating. Although I'll probably bump it up to B+ myself due to visuals and audio. At least ANN didn't completely lose the ball this time like they with Fate/Zero (C for Fate/Zero... wtf)
Looking at it they gave Art and Animation A, so how exactly are you bumping it up for that?

People and their rating logic always confuses me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
And everyone understands the concept of what grades mean, as opposed to something even more abstract like "I enjoyed it"
I hate grades. Grades are pretentious. They strive to enforce a subjective number as "factual". At least when you say "I enjoyed it" it's just a honest opinion. It's a lot easier to decipher too, what with grading being so random and personlized that only the one grading actually knows for sure what B means; for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Horizon has a lot more material behind it, while GC might well be just a 1 season thing. It's also not about the post count but how meaty the discussion is. Someone with 10x less posts then me doesn't necesarly contribute 10x less.; for example

But really let's avoid going into this "who's the superior show" nonsense...
Old 2011-11-17, 05:43   Link #2274
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

Looking at it they gave Art and Animation A, so how exactly are you bumping it up for that?

People and their rating logic always confuses me...
He was talking about bumping up his own rating, whatever that might be with whatever criteria, etc.

He also said visuals and audio

Quote:
I hate grades. Grades are pretentious. They strive to enforce a subjective number as "factual". At least when you say "I enjoyed it" it's just a honest opinion. It's a lot easier to decipher too, what with grading being so random and personlized that only the one grading actually knows for sure what B means; for example.
Well, they do have a use. Someone rating something a B-, and a 2nd show B, means they liked the second show better.

You could argue it means nothing in the philosophical sense, but there has to be some attempt at attempting to create an approximation of something subjective, much like how I'm attempting to string together some words in order to convey an idea.

But then again I don't feel like arguing over how to review, so I should end with an approximation of my own:

ANN sucks at writing reviews.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-17, 05:47   Link #2275
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
He was talking about bumping up his own rating, whatever that might be with whatever criteria, etc.
And the audio . ANN gave it a C+, i would give it a B at the very least. It's also high on the enjoyment factor for me despite having flaws for whatever reason.

But hey, ratings and reviews are serious business!
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 05:53   Link #2276
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
I find your post dissatisfying and unamusing. I give it an F, 1/10!

In all seriousness, I think you're missing the point of ratings. Yes it is very personalized, but when you are reading someone else's post who you share opinions with often in entertainment, his or her metrics used will help you gauge how much he/she enjoyed it so that you can see how much you'd probably enjoy it as well.

So he gave series X a 10/10, but series Y a 6/10, and I've typically liked anime he's liked in the past so I'd trust that the 10/10 series is the one I'm more likely to enjoy.

Ratings rather than being some sort of label for the series I think should be interpreted more as quantifiers of people's opinions. When someone rates something higher than they usually do, or lower than they usually do, then that indicates that a series is doing something good or bad in their own view. If you don't share someone else's opinion typically, then their rating almost never means anything to you, and of course it won't act as a sufficient label for anything.

Basically, it's not pretentious to give out a personal rating for something. It however would be pretentious to assume that your opinion would hold for everybody. So while I am finding that Guilty Crown is quite the mediocre series for various reasons I have explained, and while I have given a low rating to the series, I don't expect people to share my views on it, nor should they if they enjoy it without running into the problems I have in trying to enjoy it.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-17, 05:53   Link #2277
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
But hey, ratings and reviews are serious business!
Yea, I think the problem here is focusing too much on the technicalities of the review and not enough on the faulty logic of the review. Instead of trying to find the insta-win button of finding something arbitrary to discredit, we should tear it to pieces, because obviously, his opinion is inferior.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-17, 06:08   Link #2278
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:

He also said visuals and audio
Ah ic. Yeah the audio isn't bad in this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
So he gave series X a 10/10, but series Y a 6/10, and I've typically liked anime he's liked in the past so I'd trust that the 10/10 series is the one I'm more likely to enjoy.
If he says "it's more enjoyable then _____ " or "it's got the best X I've seen in a long time" then you don't need any prior knowledge and also don't need to factor in if he's being generous about it. If it's so easy to say why not just say it. Saying something is 8/10 is basicaly the legitimized way to be a complete fanboy and drop all logic and reasoning. "Well obviously a lot of thought went into comming up with that number!" (yeah right )

Ratings also tend to get aggregated, how does it have any meaning then...
Old 2011-11-17, 06:08   Link #2279
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Ayase confirmed for best character. Which isn't saying much, I know, but still, she was really likable and she has a strong personality
Stong HanaKana is best HanaKana
Old 2011-11-17, 09:37   Link #2280
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Ah ic. Yeah the audio isn't bad in this one.

If he says "it's more enjoyable then _____ " or "it's got the best X I've seen in a long time" then you don't need any prior knowledge and also don't need to factor in if he's being generous about it.
The issue is that those types of statements are often more provocative and contentious than a simple letter or numerical grade (unless the letter/numerical grade is well outside what the show typically receives).

For example, which of these two comments do you think is more likely to invite disagreement and debate?:

1) "My overall rating for Steins;Gate is 9/10."

2) "I find Steins;Gate to be more enjoyable than Madoka Magica. It's the best anime show I've seen so far this year!"

With the first comment, I heartily agree. With the second comment, I'm more likely to feel slightly disagreeable and want to debate (even though I would put both shows in my Top 5 of the year so far).

(Note: I'm using Steins;Gate and Madoka Magica here simply because they are two of the most well-received anime shows of 2011 here on Anime Suki, so the above comments are easy to imagine)

Now, if the whole point is to be provocative and instigate interesting debate and discussion (as was the case with a blog I wrote a few months back comparing SHAFT to KyoAni ), then comparisons between two popular anime shows, or two popular anime studios, or two popular anime characters, is a great way to achieve that. But if you simply want to give a strong sense of how good (or bad) you found something to be, then a letter/numerical grade is often the best way to achieve that, imo (as long as it's accompanied by an actual review, of course).

Anyway, I surprisingly kind of liked that Guilty Crown review on ANN, and am pretty stunned that Kimlinger of all people seems to be enjoying the show. I guess he's cool with an anime as long as it doesn't feature lolis getting whipped.

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig