AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 10 13.51%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 27.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 18.92%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 20.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 8.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 8.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.70%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-31, 04:22   Link #161
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
On a personal note, I do sometimes lament how the relatively recent rise in translated (legal and illegal) novels and manga have put a dampening effect on anime discussion. So many people come to discuss anime now pre-armed with all sorts of spoilers and info, which reduces a lot of discussion about characters and plot events to "I wonder how it will compare to what I already know from the novel/manga".

It's not something that can be escaped, but attempts to mitigate it are difficult since many people who are already spoiled have no interest in speculative debate, since they already know what will happen and they are more prone to dominate discussion with talk of what has changed between source and adaptation, and not what has happened in only the anime. A lot of the mystery and wonder has diminished in anime discussion as a result, and it makes discussing non-original anime very unappealing sometimes.

If people wonder about why anime discussion here and elsewhere has changed so much, I personally point to the widely translated source material and the industries reliance on adapting that material over original content as one of the big culprits.
I would love to say, "See, I told you so", except that I refrained from saying exactly that so as to avoid stirring up unnecessary flames. Everything you observe above are key reasons I stay away from many anime threads in AnimeSuki nowadays. It has simply become too hard to avoid being spoilt, especially in dedicated sub-forums where normal spoiler rules don't apply.

There's that, and also the fact I don't have the time to patch together disparate discussion threads from multiple sources, an issue that's less pronounced in a single thread. Anyway, such comments are more relevant in the feedback sub-forum, so I'll just stop here.
Old 2012-10-31, 04:32   Link #162
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Oh, it was a different director? That makes a little more sense.

But seriously. When was the last time you almost had sex up in a tree, then fell into a queerat's nest where a hexabreasted queen awaited? Don't worry, your secret's safe with me.

Found the new style very interesting. It focused a lot more on the facial expressions of the characters, which allows you to see deeper into what they're feeling. However, it was kind of odd as there were moments where you'd think someone would be frowning, but it looks like they're smiling, or something else to that effect.

Also, I know they're running from the brink of death, but when did Satoru suddenly stop being such an asshole? Now I can't justify my want to tie the kid up to a tree and leave him there.
Old 2012-10-31, 06:37   Link #163
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I liked the style of the episode. It didn't bother me that it looked different because I like when different directors bring their own touch into an episode. Consistency doesn't matter to me in this case (and that being said I personally didn't find the character designs to be that drastically different that it was a problem).

I mean I see the differences when someone puts two pictures side to side, but while watching it didn't affect me.

At the same time though I don't think I have to justify my opinion to you. It's my opinion it's not like I was telling anyone else they were wrong for having a different one.
No reason to get defensive, I was just curious... plus after reading your explanation, I agree with most of the points you make... still though since I have different priorities (storytelling > visual appeal), I don't reach the same same conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Oh, it was a different director? That makes a little more sense.

But seriously. When was the last time you almost had sex up in a tree, then fell into a queerat's nest where a hexabreasted queen awaited? Don't worry, your secret's safe with me.

Found the new style very interesting. It focused a lot more on the facial expressions of the characters, which allows you to see deeper into what they're feeling. However, it was kind of odd as there were moments where you'd think someone would be frowning, but it looks like they're smiling, or something else to that effect.

Also, I know they're running from the brink of death, but when did Satoru suddenly stop being such an asshole? Now I can't justify my want to tie the kid up to a tree and leave him there.
It's the director of Yumekui Merry, which also looked beautiful, but it too inhibited the telling of a coherent story (the anime, no clue about the manga). I also like his style aesthetically, but his skill in storytelling is atrocious; he could have been an excellent art director, video clip director, or just supervise anime for kids where the story takes a step back anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I would love to say, "See, I told you so", except that I refrained from saying exactly that so as to avoid stirring up unnecessary flames. Everything you observe above are key reasons I stay away from many anime threads in AnimeSuki nowadays. It has simply become too hard to avoid being spoilt, especially in dedicated sub-forums where normal spoiler rules don't apply.

There's that, and also the fact I don't have the time to patch together disparate discussion threads from multiple sources, an issue that's less pronounced in a single thread. Anyway, such comments are more relevant in the feedback sub-forum, so I'll just stop here.
Or just don't click the spoiler button
Old 2012-10-31, 10:03   Link #164
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
No reason to get defensive, I was just curious... plus after reading your explanation, I agree with most of the points you make... still though since I have different priorities (storytelling > visual appeal), I don't reach the same same conclusion.
I admit my tone was defensive but it was only in reply to your post. It didn't come off as curiosity but as saying my opinion was wrong and that bothered me, hence my tone.

However, if you did not mean it that way I apologize (it's the internet and I understand sometimes misinterpretations happen).

That being said I don't have different priorities than you. I would still put storytelling above visual style as well. I also had no problem with the storytelling in this episode. Although it was weird for Saki and Satoru to be separated from the group, I also felt it created some interesting interaction that we wouldn't normally see, especially since they only had each other to rely on. That dynamic was very interesting to me in the episode and it made for a captivating episode, the visual style only added to this.

So from a visual and storytelling perspective, I highly enjoyed this episode. I don't exactly want to get in a debate about that though because if someone else didn't I can't exactly say they were wrong either
Old 2012-11-02, 03:51   Link #165
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Everything you observe above are key reasons I stay away from many anime threads in AnimeSuki nowadays. It has simply become too hard to avoid being spoilt, especially in dedicated sub-forums where normal spoiler rules don't apply.
I just want to say that the spoiler rules in dedicated sub-forums are supposed to be stricter. I personally am annoyed as hell by the amount of people posting inappropriate spoilers in anime threads (whether in sub-forums or not). I am asking for cooperation from all posters to report any and all posts that contain any inappropriate spoilers (see our Guidelines). That anime-only viewers feel that they need to stay away from anime threads on AnimeSuki for fear of spoilers should not be acceptable to any of us. We have a Spoiler Policy, and -- in my view -- people who don't care to show the courtesy of respecting other posters by following said policy don't belong here. We do always want to provide a place for source-material readers to be able to discuss the anime freely, but that place isn't in anime episode threads. So please, I ask that people not just make this sort of statement -- please help the staff address it by reporting offenders and support us in fixing this problem.
Old 2012-11-06, 01:18   Link #166
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

The animation went downhill for this episode, particularly when close-up shots at the characters' faces were involved.

Nevertheless, enjoyed this episode because both Saki and Satoru unknowingly and accidentally ended up in the world of the others; the world far beyond the boundaries of their village.
I feel like finally Shin Sekai Yori exposes at last its full universe and unique mythic world with the introduction of the Ground Spiders and the Robber Flies colonies, and their bizzare world.

Unlike the previous episode, there wasn't much plot progression, but we got acquainted with the tribal issues between different Bakenezumi breeds. The native ones are those submissive to the human village and holding a non-aggression pact.
The other ones who were previously called blowdogs I theorized they migrated from far away lands, possibly came from the west and the north. Those bakenezumi aren't afraid of humans with canti or deterred in anyway if humans use their psychokinesis against them. I speculate that maybe those bakenezumi actually encountered humans before in their native lands or while migrating to Japan, however, those humans might have been descended of the tribesmen group which never develop canti at all.
Hence, the Ground Spiders could have easily crushed or conquered those canti-less human tribes and deemed the whole species as not a true threat to them, which could possibly explain the reason as to why they do not flinch or are scared of the humans from Saki's tribe that use Cantus.
Old 2012-11-06, 02:02   Link #167
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
The animation went downhill for this episode, particularly when close-up shots at the characters' faces were involved.
You can thank guest animation director Shigeyasu Yamauchi for coming in and adding his own unique style to this episode...
Old 2012-11-06, 05:41   Link #168
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
This anime reminds me completely of NOEIN....... so I'll watch it until the end....
Old 2012-11-06, 07:35   Link #169
Malkuth
Banned

The animation style is popular with younger staff and animator "insiders". I also don't like it (which is a matter of subjective personal preferences, not skill or complexity), but concerning this episode the style was not the problem, rather the director and/or the storyboard had to work with.
Old 2012-11-06, 12:28   Link #170
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
This ^. I am usually not too picky about animation quality, but if I noticed there is something wrong then it must be really bad.
Old 2012-11-06, 17:16   Link #171
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
The animation style is popular with younger staff and animator "insiders"
Really?

Don't really think that's the case with Yamauchi,he's mainly popular with the oldschool fans,the guy isn't exactly young (he's 59) and plenty of his fame comes from the 90s.
Old 2012-11-06, 17:44   Link #172
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Really?

Don't really think that's the case with Yamauchi,he's mainly popular with the oldschool fans,the guy isn't exactly young (he's 59) and plenty of his fame comes from the 90s.
I am not an "insider", like older fans (pre-2004) and people interested in animation itself (I care a lot more about the character development, the story, and character designs), but this episode director's style had a lot of elements like strong and sharp outlines, extremely contrasting colours, minimal in-between animation to highlight the key frames, and so on... dunno if these were more prevalent in 90s, sounds logical assuming it costs less then KyoAni's money-sucking black hole Anyway, his artistic and direction style reminds me the intro of ep.3, Noein (already mentioned), Birdy the Mighty, and some action scenes in Yumekui Merry. Nonetheless these are not a problem in itself, rather a matter of taste.

Oh! and a reminder, I am not talking about the storyboard and the director's involvement with it, which IMHO caused most of the problems this episode; nor about the series composition which causes problems in general and discussing it here makes mods uncomfortable.
Closed Thread