AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-08, 08:27   Link #981
Westlo
Lets be reality

I can see why Kyoto Animation didn't want to deal with Little Busters though.. like Clannad it will require a lot of episodes to get right.

2007 October - Clannad Start
2008 March - Clannad End
2008 September- Lucky Star OVA
2008 October - Clannad AS Start
2009 Jan - Sora o Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai Start
2009 March - Sora o Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai End
2009 March - Clannad AS End

Munto was also only 9 episodes long and IIRC the first 6 were just the material from the OVAs... so over an 18 month period they only did Clannad apart from 1 Lucky Star OVA and 3 Episodes of Munto. Little Busters would require a similar investment of manpower and time.. I don't think Kyoto Animation were interesting in doing that again... AIR was just 1 cour + and OVA later on, Kanon 2006 was just two cours and than finished... Clannad was an 18 month investment.
Old 2012-04-08, 11:12   Link #982
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post
Uh, you need to revise your timeline now that KyoAni isn't doing Little Busters!...

Maybe he already did.

I have to admit that piece of news was a shocker for me. Neither KyoAni nor P.A. Works ended up doing Little Busters! contrary to several people's (including my own) expectations. I wonder what this development means for further Key/KyoAni collaboration in the future. Rewrite in particular, if it gets an anime.

<also insert mandatory "Where's my new FMP series?" here>
Yeah, I was definitely proven wrong, and I am really surprised by Key going with J.C Staff. But I guess I'll save those thoughts for the J.C Staff thread or the Little Busters thread. I would have responded sooner, but I went to Anime Boston Friday and yesterday and thus was quite busy.

I suppose the next thing I could be proven wrong on is Hyouka.

Anyway, I don't think I can project anything useful for 2013 yet, but here goes:

Spring & Summer 2012: Hyouka(21 episodes)
Fall 2012: Chuuni-Byou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
Spring 2013: New TBS/Pony Canyon project(Guess: K-ON!!!)
Fall 2013: New Kadokawa project(I really hope this is where more Haruhi anime goes. 2013 is the 10th anniversary of the start of the light novels as somebody pointed in one of the Haruhi threads.)

If more K-ON is announced for 2013, at least TBS/Pony Canyon knows where the money is(SHAFT or Aniplex is another: see more -monogateri anime greenlit to be made). I wouldn't be terribly surprised(and I am expecting it) if TBS/Pony Canyon brought an entirely new project for KyoAni to work on for 2013.
Old 2012-04-23, 04:22   Link #983
rulfo

New KyoAni CM.

Old 2012-04-23, 10:43   Link #984
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
That a rather different style KyoAni used for that commercial. Almost reminds me of those old E-surance commercials.
Old 2012-04-27, 16:53   Link #985
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

No Winners Announced for 3rd Kyoto Animation Award.

This is the third year in a row that they haven't given out a grand prize, this year just takes it one step further.

Old 2012-04-27, 17:08   Link #986
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One wonders what standards they are using?

It is rather different than a typical American contest were there is always a winner.

(Though I'd let Yuki molest my books)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-04-27 at 17:25.
Old 2012-04-27, 17:08   Link #987
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
No Winners Announced for 3rd Kyoto Animation Award.

This is the third year in a row that they haven't given out a grand prize, this year just takes it one step further.

In order to save some time in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Fan (Negative)

What they didn't give an award, what's the point of even having these awards then?!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Fan (Positive)

Well Kyoani deserves many kudos for not giving out an award if it isn't deserved
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama
I for one think this is one of the best longest runnest jokes in the anime industry right now.
Old 2012-04-27, 17:24   Link #988
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Fan (Positive)
stop stealing my lines.
Old 2012-04-27, 18:21   Link #989
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
One wonders what standards they are using?

It is rather different than a typical American contest were there is always a winner.

(Though I'd let Yuki molest my books)
Well, the currently airing Hyouka is an adaptation of one of the Honorable Mentions of the contest so let's wait and see how it turns out. Who knows, maybe there really isn't anything awesome showing up.
Old 2012-04-27, 18:28   Link #990
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Well, the currently airing Hyouka is an adaptation of one of the Honorable Mentions of the contest so let's wait and see how it turns out. Who knows, maybe there really isn't anything awesome showing up.
Hyouka, the first novel of the Kotenbu series, was first published in 2001. KyoAni has only been involved in it for the past year or so depending on the planning for this anime adaptation.

The title you are thinking of is the light novel series Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai, which was an honorable mention in the 2009 light novel category.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-04-28, 00:23   Link #991
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

If they're holding a contest where no one can ever win, why hold the contest to begin with? At least last year they had some Honorable Mentions, but even those weren't awarded this time around. Is KyoAni that critical towards other people's work, or is there more going on that we're not being told about?
Old 2012-04-28, 01:00   Link #992
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
If they're holding a contest where no one can ever win, why hold the contest to begin with? At least last year they had some Honorable Mentions, but even those weren't awarded this time around. Is KyoAni that critical towards other people's work, or is there more going on that we're not being told about?
It's not like this is a KyoAni only thing... required reading...

Not to mention I'm pretty sure that anything they award a Grand Prize to they have to animate... considering their output this isn't a trivial thing to give away.
Old 2012-04-28, 07:47   Link #993
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

Not to mention I'm pretty sure that anything they award a Grand Prize to they have to animate... considering their output this isn't a trivial thing to give away.
Which is why it's puzzling to me why KyoAni is even bothering with this annual competition.

Yes, they're very production constrained.

These competitions are something that might make some sense for a very large studio like Sunrise or JC Staff, but it's hard for me to see how this makes sense for KyoAni (unless it's just a cynical way for them to gain added publicity...).
Old 2012-04-28, 08:12   Link #994
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
It's not like this is a KyoAni only thing... required reading...

It's not mentioned in the outline that they will animate any Grand Prize winner this year. They simply state that a Grand Prize or Encouragement Award winner would be published through their publishing division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Which is why it's puzzling to me why KyoAni is even bothering with this annual competition.

Yes, they're very production constrained.

These competitions are something that might make some sense for a very large studio like Sunrise or JC Staff, but it's hard for me to see how this makes sense for KyoAni (unless it's just a cynical way for them to gain added publicity...).
KyoAni is looking to broaden their studio beyond animation. These contests are designed to obtain manuscripts they could print and sell through their publishing division, KA Esuma. If there's a work the staff greatly like, then it'll be animated like Chuunibyou is, but these submissions were not designed so they would animate more works.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-04-28, 16:09   Link #995
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Hyouka, the first novel of the Kotenbu series, was first published in 2001. KyoAni has only been involved in it for the past year or so depending on the planning for this anime adaptation.

The title you are thinking of is the light novel series Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai, which was an honorable mention in the 2009 light novel category.
DOH! Mea Culpa. For some reason my brain just went full on idiot mode there.
Old 2012-04-30, 20:28   Link #996
Morisato

So much Haruhi material and Little Busters... and KyoAni decides not to milk the fanbases of those series.

Instead they adapt things like Nichijou which granted is pretty funny... but a financial failure.

Looks like they are set to repeat their mistake... well at least the character designs for Hyouka are K-ON inspired. Might pull in the moe crowd.
Old 2012-05-02, 19:56   Link #997
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

so, i think its crazy that The Second Raid aired in 2005. jesus i'm getting old.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2012-05-03, 07:56   Link #998
brocko

Does anyone know whether the KyoAni staff are big FMP fans? To me that seems to be the only shot that the series has right now to get animated. I'd be inclined to think so, since they did that Tessa OVA and Shoji Gatoh seems to have good relations with the studio, doing script work for them on numerous occasions.

Business-wise FMP doesn't make much sense imo, especially now that the novel has ended and is on it's way towards being old hat. Not much point in pushing the sales of a waning franchise considering that previous sales have been slightly above modest at best. There are better chances of hitting big with something new and fresher.

If there was going to be another FMP anime, it'd largely have to be out of love for the series imo. The staff would need to love it to the point where they'd make it happen regardless of anything else.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2012-05-03, 14:52   Link #999
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well Studio DEEN just did a Full Metal Panic reference in a recent episode of Kore wa zombie desu ka
Old 2012-05-04, 01:33   Link #1000
rulfo

This is coming from their own budget.

Why throw in cash to something not good? At least they're being smarter than Gonzo. IIRC Gonzo went into a financial crisis by handling badly a very similar situation like this. It's bad enough that the series flops, it got worse since IIRC majority of the funding came from them.
Closed Thread

Tags
studios