AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2010-03-02, 22:57   Link #1041
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

how different is NoN to the main series?
Old 2010-03-03, 01:20   Link #1042
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
how different is NoN to the main series?
Totaly different) New charachters, new plotline, new history.
Old 2010-03-03, 01:34   Link #1043
Zetsubou Bunny
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Zetsubou Bunny Send a message via MSN to Zetsubou Bunny Send a message via Yahoo to Zetsubou Bunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Totaly different) New charachters, new plotline, new history.
Well, kind of. It's more like extremely, extremely altered and cris-crossed characters. It's not my particular cup of tea.
Zetsubou Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 09:26   Link #1044
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubou Bunny View Post
Well, kind of. It's more like extremely, extremely altered and cris-crossed characters. It's not my particular cup of tea.
If they make a new 'alternate' history. Thank Jashin. And hire some decent historians next time to give some more plausible explanations.

No more Benjamin Franklin is a traitor bull. CLAMP and Sunrise should be thankful their asses haven't been sued.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 12:35   Link #1045
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
No more Benjamin Franklin is a traitor bull. CLAMP and Sunrise should be thankful their asses haven't been sued.
Hu?
It's fiction, and pretty harmless.
Now, I have no idea of the Japanese laws on this issue, but I highly doubt anyone could have successfully taken that to court.
Old 2010-03-03, 12:38   Link #1046
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

... yeah, if its illegal to portray Ben Franklin as a traitor in an alternate timeline, I suppose we'll have to end the Dr. McNinja webcomic for portraying Franklin was a clone, huh?
Old 2010-03-03, 15:07   Link #1047
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Franklin WAS a traitor in real life. The actions of most of those American patriots were treason towards the English crown. So, portraying him as a traitor in CG isn't something out of the ordinary considering in their timeline the American Revolution failed. So, today none of the founding fathers are considered traitors because the Americans won the war, but had Britain won then they would've been executed for treason and we'd be reading about these guys as traitors, like the people in CG...
Old 2010-03-03, 17:38   Link #1048
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

As Revolutionist usually does, he portrays everything in a unique light that also shines truth. Bravo, Revolutionist.

Can we get back to the Code Geass Projects, now? About to steer seriously off topic.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 19:00   Link #1049
Betteroffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
If they make a new 'alternate' history. Thank Jashin. And hire some decent historians next time to give some more plausible explanations.

If you're at all interested in fanfiction, then the story Megiddo actually addresses and subverts this issue rather nicely, as the author himself notes that he was similarly irked by the idea of Franklin betraying the colonies.

If you don't want to read through the entire story to find it, then the scene that explains it is the first scene of chapter 11.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I have to say that the author has put together a rather comprehensive alternate timeline that handles all of the deviations from the original CG and handily improves upon them.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-03, 22:02   Link #1050
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Wait, in the official cannon Ben Franlin betrays the colonies? If that's the case I feel like a moron for my above post >_>
Old 2010-03-03, 22:24   Link #1051
Betteroffer

Quote:
Wait, in the official cannon Ben Franlin betrays the colonies? If that's the case I feel like a moron for my above post >_>
Yeah, the official CG canon says that the Duke of Britannia bought Franklin over with a noble title (Earl if I recall) as well as land and money. As a result Franklin did not go to France to enlist their aid in the colonies' revolution, preventing France from helping the colonies and allowing Britannia to crush Washington's army.

This kept the colonies under Britannia's control and allowed the monarchy to survive the revolutions that would later sweep Europe, as they were able to flee to the Americas and reestablish themselves there.
Old 2010-03-04, 00:58   Link #1052
Nobodyman9
Banned

Let me just say that if America was at all concerned about fictional works defacing their national historical figures this would never have been published.

And they're makin' a movie out of this shit. Fuck yes.

But yeah, back to new CG project talk.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-04, 05:44   Link #1053
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Let me just say that if America was at all concerned about fictional works defacing their national historical figures this would never have been published.

And they're makin' a movie out of this shit. Fuck yes.

But yeah, back to new CG project talk.
Oddly enough, that sounds worthwhile in a hilarious way. Ah Tim Burton. Your taste never ceases to amaze me.

But what really ticks me off is the way they went about it with the official canon supposedly being Benjamin Franklin selling out for a title. This was completely unnecessary when there are so many other ways it could have gone wrong.

Here are a few according to Thomas Fleming
1. The British plan working in Bunker Hill due to John Stark failing to recognise the importance of the beach and better scouting from the British Admiral
2. If the British had successfully trapped Washington's Army in Long Island or Manhatten
3. Captain Ferguson kills George Washington in 1777
4. If Washington failed in attacking Trenton or Princeton leading to the surrender of various states including Delaware and New York
5. British Army escapes from Yorktown due to more favourable weather.
Old 2010-03-04, 05:49   Link #1054
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

However, all of that doesn't really fit with the CG universe's ongoing theme about people and deceptions, which is why they went with ol' Ben betraying Washington.
Old 2010-03-04, 13:48   Link #1055
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Perhaps Ben was Geassed into betraying the colonies, with the title as the official excuse. Not to mention that other important patriots could also have been geassed...
Old 2010-03-04, 14:48   Link #1056
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Revolutionist has a point. Geass effects the minds and the outcome of things. Since Geass exists, it is possible that they were affected by some kind of geass. Though this is hardly the place for the discussion.

Since we talking about history, would it go into that thread, or maybe generic?

Last edited by Arbitres; 2010-03-04 at 14:49. Reason: typos, imagine that.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-04, 18:55   Link #1057
Betteroffer

Quote:
Perhaps Ben was Geassed into betraying the colonies, with the title as the official excuse. Not to mention that other important patriots could also have been geassed...
Possible, but unlikely. In a season one booklet there is a discussion between Lelouch and C.C. where C.C. comments that Ben was "too gentle" and vaguely implies part of his willingness to accept the bribe may have come from the fact that he didn't approve of war and was presumably convinced that if he went to France, the fighting would only be prolonged needlessly.

I don't know how accurate this portrayal is with the real Franklin, but this implies that he did do it willingly in the CG universe.
Old 2010-03-05, 21:20   Link #1058
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Revolutionist has a point. Geass effects the minds and the outcome of things. Since Geass exists, it is possible that they were affected by some kind of geass. Though this is hardly the place for the discussion.

Since we talking about history, would it go into that thread, or maybe generic?
It's a speculation as of now. But I'd wish they confirmed it as canon so this bullshit would have some semblance of respectability.
Old 2010-03-14, 14:18   Link #1059
ChildrenOfTheMind

It's going to like Gundam totally different era, new characters, but same powers.
ChildrenOfTheMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-15, 01:55   Link #1060
yvj
U Mad?

So wait it's the same characters now? Or is this more speculation

Tags
drama, mecha