AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-03-22, 22:30   Link #21
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Ah good, was curious if there was a thread on this manga. Absolutely loving the details and storyline
Old 2010-03-22, 23:44   Link #22
Falkor

wow, she spent 6 minutes on the head alone...

I feel like trying something with ink. :P
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 06:50   Link #23
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
Ah good, was curious if there was a thread on this manga. Absolutely loving the details and storyline
Yeah, the details are amazing and the characters are really good too. You also get a good grasp of who each character is on your first read; you're not confused as to who everyone is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
wow, she spent 6 minutes on the head alone...
I have to stick my head in the ground cause that sounds really bad out of context.
Old 2010-04-26, 03:42   Link #24
lixuelai

Just picked this up. Was randomly browsing manga titles and the art on this just screamed "EMMA". Gave it a shot and am certainly not disappointed. The art is just amazing. Been awhile since I've seen such good art and the storytelling is excellent. Can't really hope for more (besides more chapters). At first I had some misgivings about the age gap but it is very tastefully done. Don't know how I missed this to begin with considering Emma was really good as well :S
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 11:56   Link #25
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

It screams "EMMA" because they have the same author.
Old 2010-07-24, 13:47   Link #26
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

So I just learned that Yen Press has acquired this manga. I'm very happy about this due to a number of reasons, one of which is that this gives me hope after CMX demise that more Kaoru Mori titles will still be released (and that I might get the new Shirley volume)

Shame that it'll probably take a while for me to know how the current storyline will conclude.
Old 2010-07-24, 17:12   Link #27
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Wow. And this series is still relatively young. I guess they know what's good when they see it.
Old 2010-07-26, 12:33   Link #28
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
...a portrayal of Turkic (?) culture in the 19th century is going to be a lot harder than Victorian culture, but that's part of the challenge that makes this project of hers so exciting. Like you I can't see at all where this will go, but that makes the journey doubly interesting, no?
There is a blogger who thinks they are Persian, but I think he or she is probably wrong. Well, not entirely wrong, because at the height of its power, Persia stretched across much of Central Asia. But, by the 19th century, mighty Persia had already become a distant memory, so it's not entirely accurate to use a generic nomenclature like "Persian" to describe the diverse ethnic groups in the area.

Rather, like you, I believe the people in Otoyomegatari are Turks or, more specifically, Turkmen. Based on various clues, (Chp1 Pg4: "Central Asia, in a rural town near the Caspian Sea"; Chp10 Pg4: "How far have the Russians advanced? How are things around Bagdhad?"; Chp11 Pg19: "Among those explorers who set foot on these lands...there were many who were caught up in conflicts, or suspected of being spies"), I would guess that the story is roughly set in the region that forms modern Turkmenistan.

Turkmenistan
Area: 488,100 sq km
Population: 5,110,000 (2009 estimate)
Density: 10.5 person per sq km

The country gained its independence only recently, in 1991, shortly after the collapse of the Soviet Union. More significantly, it borders modern Afghanistan, itself home to around 200,000 Turkmen during the 1990s (according to the Library of Congress). This was the region that 19th-century Russia and Britain vied to control through "The Great Game".

Aspects of Turkmen culture include carpet-weaving and horse riding. Traditionally, they were also a nomadic people. And, finally, real-life pictures say it all. These are most likely the people who inspired Ms Mori to create her exquisite drawings.

As for the story appearing to go nowhere at the moment, I'm far too mesmerised by the stunning attention to detail to actually care. I'm fascinated not just by the terrific art, but also by the way Ms Mori attempts to stay faithful to both the culture and the time period. Reading Otoyomegatari is like flipping through a National Geographic magazine (and it reminds me vividly of Steve McCurry's Afghan Girl).

Of course, most of the details have probably been glossed over with a generous dose of romanticism. I'm not suggesting that Otoyomegatari is the best way to learn about Turkmen culture. But it certainly is a fantastic way to raise awareness of a group of people that is, sadly, more often associated today with violence than beauty.

==========

Now that I've got past the background information, I wonder if anyone has thought about why Amira was married off so late? And to so young a husband (he may already be considered a man by his society, and he certainly behaved like one, but Karluk didn't seem ready yet to, ahem, be a father)?

If I were to hazard a guess, I think it was possibly because Amira's family couldn't afford her trousseau (apparently called a kalim). After all, it couldn't be because no one desired Amira herself, right? A vivacious woman like her who could cook, weave, ride and hunt — who wouldn't want her for a wife? Yet her marriage to Karluk was not considered advantageous to her clan, suggesting further that her relatives were desperate to marry her off to the first available taker.

That could explain why Karluk was apparently worried about how his bride would turn out (Chp3 Pg 33: "I was surprised because you were so different from what I had heard"), only to be pleasantly surprised. The lucky dog.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-01, 13:58   Link #29
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I like the little story arc we've got here between the Brit researcher and the young Nomad woman. I'm glad he finally decided to go for it and except the marriage. Though if he comes from any sort of nobility, it will be rather difficult for him to bring her home. I hope if the main story overshadows them in the future, maybe Mrs. Mori will be kind enough to give them a little side story as she did with many of the Emma side characters.

Just love everything she does.
Old 2011-05-11, 11:25   Link #30
Xagzan

Well, that map in 17 gave us a better idea where they are now.

But aww,
Spoiler:
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 21:04   Link #31
Pacify

Jeez, the art work in this just phenomenal. Only read a few chapters so far, but the tone and setting and feel of it are very winning, Amira is pretty awesome
Pacify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 13:13   Link #32
Xagzan

Yeah, I'm surprised the thread is this short myself. I know it's a slow slice of life series, but it is still wow quality.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-02, 00:59   Link #33
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I stumbled on this one as well. Really lovely work. The art is obviously spectacular, but I'm really enjoying the storytelling as well. The whole relationship between Amira and Karluk could have been either unsettling of titillating, but in Mori's capable hands I actually find it quite heartwarming. Naturally it's more of a protective relationship at first, but you can see the love building between them - and when Karluk saves her from her familial kidnappers, you can see Amira start to picture him in a different light.

Amira is indeed a great heroine - plucky and tough, but very tender and patient as well - she's growing to love Karluk but allowing him his space to grow up at his own pace. For his part, Karluk reminds me a bit of Chagum from Seirei no Moribito - he has that same sense of serene decency and quiet resourcefulness to him.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 20:21   Link #34
GrimJack

Interesting find today, after reading the 4-koma Mori Kaoru did about Pariya.

Amira says her marriage to Karluk was arranged when she was 13, I was thinking it happened along the lines of your eldest daughter (Amira) will marry my youngest son (Karluk) when he comes of age.

the raws for chapter 18 look really good too

Spoiler for Chapter 18:
Old 2011-07-09, 00:20   Link #35
Same_Shark

A little off topic, but shortly before it's debut, I remember reading on ANN that Amira was actually from Mongolia. I'm not sure how true that is now that the manga has finally started.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-29, 14:10   Link #36
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Holy S***!

First time in my local Forbidden Planet for some time, when out of the the corner of my eye something caught my attention and what the hell was it?
It was a hardcover of this series!
I didn't even know it was licensed to begin with, I was rather gobsmacked by it didn't think I'd see this show up in store near me!

bastard thing was I didn't have the spare cash to buy it then, so right now saving as many pennies as I can, hopefully theres still a copy left next week.

By far the best looking manga there is, period!
Old 2011-08-12, 19:40   Link #37
GrimJack

chapter 19 released

Spoiler for back to..:

update August 25

chapters 18 and 19 scanalated

Last edited by GrimJack; 2011-08-24 at 16:13.
GrimJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 16:45   Link #38
Somnus
Eh?

Damn it, I was having such a good time reading this until I finished the "Mr. Smith and Tarasu" arc. Now I'm just pissed off. I'm a sucker for happy endings.

I've never wanted a cliche shounen hero to come in to save the day more than now.

*Looks around*

Damn it all...
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 03:19   Link #39
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm enjoying the hell out of this - the artwork is fantastic and the story is ramping up. But I kind of worry that it might be getting too big - ironic, as the charge against this series was "not enough plot". But I really love Karluk and Amira and I think their relationship is one of the most unique and charming in manga, and I'd really rather not see it skipped for multiple chapters.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 05:46   Link #40
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I don't know. I'm pretty much a shameless whore for whatever Kaouri Mori dishes out.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, romance, seinen