AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

View Poll Results: What Grade will you give for Da Capo??
4-5 Star (Heart warming, Breath Taking) 63 51.22%
3-4 Star (Great!!) 29 23.58%
2-3 Star (Some flaws Detected) 22 17.89%
1-2 Star (Not interested...) 4 3.25%
This is one damn lousy series 5 4.07%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-11, 13:44   Link #161
Esoteria
The End of Optimism

As for the pink bear... well.... The best answer is "don't ask." There are lots of things like that.
Old 2003-12-11, 14:53   Link #162
Mistwrath
Always confused . . .

Which episode did the pink bear appeared in ? I can't seem to remember and a little busy to check on it
Old 2003-12-11, 16:09   Link #163
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

The pink bear appears in every episode.
Old 2003-12-11, 19:25   Link #164
narako
Master of Broken Images

Send a message via MSN to narako
any response on the cat guy thou?
Old 2003-12-12, 03:10   Link #165
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narako
just wondering 2 things, please anwser if you can
Who is that cat guy?(I seen the haunted house one, and its seems that the boy in the family photo looks like asakura and looks like hes holding what could be the cat guy in.. cat form)
And why does Asakura see that girl as that pink teddy bear thing?
Same reason as why Shirakawa Kotori can "listen/hear" what other people think, same reason why Mizukoshi Moe-senpai is always daydreaming, same reason why Yoriko-san was able to become a maid, same reason why Asakura Junichi can "peek" into people's dreams and make Japanese candy, same reason why Yoshino Sakura looks like a child, and same reason why Asakura Nemu started to cough up sakura petals...the power of the main cherry blossom tree.
Old 2003-12-12, 05:20   Link #166
bluemist
i am the mist

Hmm... I thought Moe's 'Mutsumi-like (Love Hina)' attitude was natural...

And of all the effects of the cherry blossom tree, Nemu's seems life-threatening.
Old 2003-12-12, 05:23   Link #167
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

It be interesting to see what everyone is like after Sakura kills the tree
Old 2003-12-12, 12:32   Link #168
monir
cho~ kakkoii

back to being prick, urr, I mean normal as the reality hits as Sakura kills the tree..no more magic, no more magical candy, no cat-eared freaky guy, no more one guy getting all the chicks.. as for Moe, she lives in the reality already, so her personality begs to differ for what sort of reality/fantasy she lives in..Go Moe and your Nabe.. So, did anyone figure it out yet how fast the turtle was moving as it escaped from Moe's Nabe?
Old 2003-12-12, 15:30   Link #169
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

We might see a 2nd season of Da Capo after all.

Spoiler:
Old 2003-12-12, 16:07   Link #170
bluemist
i am the mist

Spoiler:
Old 2003-12-12, 16:36   Link #171
eMpTy265
<unranked>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot

Spoiler:

Hmm... do you know which ending DC:WS assumes for DC then?
Old 2003-12-12, 17:37   Link #172
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot

Spoiler:
Umm...no. D.C. White Season was an append disc. It takes place in the same year that D.C. ended (D.C. story ends in Spring), in the winter, and is basically is an after story of all the characters (you choose which one you ended with on the D.C.). It's about spending Christmas with your favorite characters, and is a VERY short story.
Old 2003-12-13, 02:27   Link #173
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Apologies in advance for the length of this post.

I just figured I'd chime in to say how much I am loving this anime, especially the most recent episodes. I was enjoying the series a fair bit in it's "first half", but the second half has been really amazing so far.

It seems to me that a good way to watch the recent episodes would be to re-cut them into two parts: 16-18 and 19-21, main episodes only with no cuts or credits in between episodes. It just seems to me they flow so nicely together. Although I don't mind the side episodes, they definitely affect the story pacing as it gets more serious in the second half.

(Minor spoilers, in case you haven't seen the recent fansub releases...)
Spoiler:

Episode 19 in particular is one of my favorites, and so I wanted to add some fuel to the discussion about the ending...
Spoiler:

I was also thinking the other day about whether or not this anime and others like it would ever get licensed and officially translated... which is, of course, very doubtful. But, I also wonder if anyone could truly do this series justice in an "North American" English sub/dub. For example, both Nemu and Sakura constantly call Junichi "nii-san" and "onii-chan" respectively, but how would you translate that? Surely, you wouldn't replace all the instances with "brother", as that would just sound strange I would think. There is a sort of careful balance in Da Capo, with two potential relationships being on the edge of what some consider wrong, and I don't know if that balance could ever get properly represented in North American culture. (Even this very thread can serve as some sort of an example of the kinds of cultural prejudices brought to the table.) On the one hand, I would love to purchase an official DVD set if it had English subs in the same style as the fansubs, but I find the thought of a North American "adaptation" of the series almost frightening... which is why I'm sure it won't happen. This is why I'm especially thankful for the fansub community; it gives me an opportunity to watch excellent anime that I would likely never get a chance to see otherwise.

Anyways, this anime is very touching and beautiful, especially in the second part. Not quite as sad as Kanon, but definitely right up there. I'm loving it, and can't wait to watch the rest of the series. Apologies again for the length.
Old 2003-12-13, 11:16   Link #174
EternalBlue
☼~永遠なる青~☼

hehe I just finished 21....ARGH I can't wait for 22-26 to come out lol. 21 has a great resolution to some things but draws you into the next ep....too bad it aint fansubbed yet -_-; or if anyone knows where it is subbed alrdy please tell me, I really want to see the next one haha ^^
Old 2003-12-13, 12:31   Link #175
Esoteria
The End of Optimism

"The cat guy," as far as I can tell, is an anomaly representing a male (almost fatherly) influence other than Junichi to the girls. Note that none of these girls seem to have parents (on the island). We see almost a "family moment" in situations like when Kotori is with the cat. Other than that, I think he's supposed to be just plain weird, like much of the anime (such as Miharu being a robot. That's just absurd).

A good post, relentlessflame, and I didn't feel the length at all. =) Always good to have an intelligent speaker on forums. Someone who's not trying to argue any point so much as just express an opinion. Anyhoo, I'm thinking the series wouldn't be so unlikely to be translated and brought over. There are a lot of things going against it, though. First and foremost is the theme of (in North American terms) incest. That won't go over well, and would probably bump the rating of the discs up to whatever the next level would be. The fact that it's based on an ero-game would probably not worry producers too much. About the 'nii-san thing, I think you're right in that saying something like "brother" would hold a different cannotation. However, this is, as you know, not the first anime to have a non-blood-related relationship between 'sister' and 'brother' in which the Japanese was originally used. It's up to the translators to decide what to do with it. They won't necessarily keep even the same sentence structure when translating.

Yes, Episode 22 is late. Very late. I want Soldats to catch up, because I've always loved that group. (Kaze no Yojimbo... One of the best series of all time... Soldats were the only ones to pick it up and sub it.)

Oh, and I can't really say one way or another if I think Nemu and Junichi slept together in his bed. You make some good points about that possibility, but I for some reason get the feeling that they will sleep together (non-sexual) sometime later, probably not in either of their beds, and use that as a sort of relationship-strengthening moment. I can't see it happening this early on when we still have five episodes to go on their relationship. If they've already slept together clean, and they've already kissed rather... passionately like they did, what's left? I think we know. So since we know that won't happen in the anime, I'm thinking they'll have another step to their physical relationship before the end of the series, and I see very few options based on those restraints.
Old 2003-12-13, 15:07   Link #176
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteria
Anyhoo, I'm thinking the series wouldn't be so unlikely to be translated and brought over. There are a lot of things going against it, though. First and foremost is the theme of (in North American terms) incest. That won't go over well, and would probably bump the rating of the discs up to whatever the next level would be. The fact that it's based on an ero-game would probably not worry producers too much. About the 'nii-san thing, I think you're right in that saying something like "brother" would hold a different cannotation. However, this is, as you know, not the first anime to have a non-blood-related relationship between 'sister' and 'brother' in which the Japanese was originally used. It's up to the translators to decide what to do with it. They won't necessarily keep even the same sentence structure when translating.
That is true. Despite the other localizations I've seen, many of which were actually quite good, I still have a hard time imagining this series working in "North American" English. Although, if it does happen, I'm definitely buying the DVDs... even if I only end up watching the sub!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteria
Oh, and I can't really say one way or another if I think Nemu and Junichi slept together in his bed. You make some good points about that possibility, but I for some reason get the feeling that they will sleep together (non-sexual) sometime later, probably not in either of their beds, and use that as a sort of relationship-strengthening moment. I can't see it happening this early on when we still have five episodes to go on their relationship. If they've already slept together clean, and they've already kissed rather... passionately like they did, what's left? I think we know. So since we know that won't happen in the anime, I'm thinking they'll have another step to their physical relationship before the end of the series, and I see very few options based on those restraints.
Yeah, actually, I watched 19 and 20 again last night after posting, and I think I agree with you. There really is no way of saying what specifically happened after the end of the show, and the hints are really there to leave you guessing. Actually, I think we're better off that way too. (I kind of wonder, though, if things were not so nebulous in the original game. I wonder how closely the storylines match?) I definitely agree, though, there are definitely more steps they have to take in their relationship before the end of the series, on physical, emotional, and even (almost especially) social levels. I can't wait to see what happens next; 22 can't come quickly enough!

Thanks for the reply!
Old 2003-12-14, 18:47   Link #177
Esoteria
The End of Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
I can't wait to see what happens next; 22 can't come quickly enough!
Word to that. I've been anticipating.. and anticipating.. and...

anticipating its release.

On a slightly less happy note, check out the post on Evangelion I posted. It's in the general anime section.
Old 2003-12-14, 19:04   Link #178
Iron Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
I was also thinking the other day about whether or not this anime and others like it would ever get licensed and officially translated... which is, of course, very doubtful. But, I also wonder if anyone could truly do this series justice in an "North American" English sub/dub. For example, both Nemu and Sakura constantly call Junichi "nii-san" and "onii-chan" respectively, but how would you translate that? Surely, you wouldn't replace all the instances with "brother", as that would just sound strange I would think. There is a sort of careful balance in Da Capo, with two potential relationships being on the edge of what some consider wrong, and I don't know if that balance could ever get properly represented in North American culture. (Even this very thread can serve as some sort of an example of the kinds of cultural prejudices brought to the table.) On the one hand, I would love to purchase an official DVD set if it had English subs in the same style as the fansubs, but I find the thought of a North American "adaptation" of the series almost frightening... which is why I'm sure it won't happen. This is why I'm especially thankful for the fansub community; it gives me an opportunity to watch excellent anime that I would likely never get a chance to see otherwise.

Anyways, this anime is very touching and beautiful, especially in the second part. Not quite as sad as Kanon, but definitely right up there. I'm loving it, and can't wait to watch the rest of the series. Apologies again for the length.
Well, Da Capo's pretty tame in terms of the brother-sister relationship compared to something like Sister Princess, and if that could be licnensed, I don't think it would be far fetched to say Da Capo could potentially be licensed as well.
Old 2003-12-14, 19:29   Link #179
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Monkey
Well, Da Capo's pretty tame in terms of the brother-sister relationship compared to something like Sister Princess, and if that could be licnensed, I don't think it would be far fetched to say Da Capo could potentially be licensed as well.
Well, nothing will compare with Angel Sanctuary, which has TWIN BROTHER AND SISTER having sex. And that one turned out popular after being licensed too.
Old 2003-12-14, 19:35   Link #180
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
Well, nothing will compare with Angel Sanctuary, which has TWIN BROTHER AND SISTER having sex. And that one turned out popular after being licensed too.
I've heard that Angel Sanctuary had incest but is it that bad

Tags
bishoujo, circus, drama, kemonomimi, romance, school life, seinen, zexcs